Type keyword(s) to search

Rachael Vs. Guy: Kids Cookoff - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Finn is actually making me nauseated. And I am aware that I'm going to hell.

I can't tell on whom Gib has the crush because he's put his arm around all the girls at some point. heh. Work it, Gib.

Helen freaked out over her pork and her dish won. I was thinking they'd show some snark-a-licious talking heads from her teammates since they basically saved her,  helping finish her  on time. Wow, did they drug Helen at Urgent Care? That was the best of her camera challenges. She didn't freeze.

Amber seems to think a lot of herself and not in the good, simply confident  way.

This may be Sean's to lose. He's quite adorable and talented, imo. I really like Luis too, but wish he didnt' use that monotone and sound like he's reading during the camera bits.

Edited by ari333

Hey, we've all been debating about whether Finn has a real speech impediment or whether he's playing it up for the cameras. I think it's been debated enough and it's time to move on to other subjects about the episode and show in general. These are kids, still developing, and they know they are on a television show and are being encouraged by producers to say this, do that, roll their eyes, etc. This show didn't have a moderator until last week when some posts got out of hand, so I stepped in to take over this forum. If you have any problems in the future, don't hesitate to PM me. If there are posts by a particular poster you don't enjoy reading, you can use the ignore button to hide all future posts from them. Thanks!

• Love 4

Helen has one star and that was for the pork that her team helped her finish. Poor kid with the cut finger though. Ouch.

I still find Lauren adorkable. Love her.

Some kids can pull off being cute-sy and some just can't (imo.) 

• Love 2

At this point, my favorites are Luis on Team Rachael and Sean on Team Guy.  I actually thought the show was trying not to have Sean win again by having Guy assign him octopus to cook - very difficult to do well.

I hate to criticize kids, but my least favorites on any team are Gibson and Helen.

My kids watched this with me last night & their take on who was likable was interesting. They did not like Finn, Lauren, or Helen & had specific reasons for each. I'm not going to list them because they referenced people they reminded them of in real life & while it was funny & spot on, it's pretty snarky & I still struggle with poking fun at kids.

They liked Gibson, especially how caring he seemed to be. They liked Amber, specifically pointing out how she was always asking if she could help other people & they thought she appeared to have it together. Finally, they liked Sean & thought he was quite entertaining & comfortable, making him easy to watch.

They were indifferent to Luis & Madison. They both were disgusted with Helen's undercooked pork & thought she only won a star due to a pity vote. RambleJr the Elder additionally commented that she thought Robert Irvine wasn't as cute as she used to think he was & that he looked old. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or feel old myself. He's 49, I'm not so far from that. Ack!

• Love 1

What I don't get about this show is the time delay for tasting the main challenge dishes.  I've put in hours, probably years, of my life watching Top Chef, so I know it's not pan to plate to judges' mouths, but this show seems to have looong delays.  The kids finish cooking, then go off to practice their camera challenge, then do the camera challenge, then the judges taste the food.  This could be hours by the time the last plate is tasted, as it is shown, and they made it a point of showing the delay last night vis a vis Helen's injury.  I don't really believe the judges wait that long to taste the food because, in particular, Lauren's fried buffalo seafood and Madison's fried seafood poboy would be inedible after sitting around for a couple of hours.  No disrespect to those gals, it's just that fried seafood doesn't hold up well after a few hours and unattended.  And that's what the show SHOWS us.

There's just something wonky about the editing, I guess is my point.  Guy's DDD has him eating stuff before it's even complete and Rachel is in "yummo" heaven before a dish has cooled, yet these kids' plates apparently sit around for hours before being eaten.  It's just weird.  Production could figure out a better way.

As for the kids, I don't mind them at all.  After watching Bravo's Extreme Guide to Parenting, these 8 kids are more normal than they probably know.  At least they have a life skill.

• Love 2

I have to admit, I chuckled out loud at Gibson's "OMG Melissa D'Arabian?!?!? I watch her in everything she's in!!!" Dance for The Man, Gib. Dance for The Man

I was expecting someone to point out to Helen that she owed her teammates more than one thank you for her star. I also thought they took it easy on her, because that pork really was RAAAAAW!!!! I get pink, I'm fine with that. But translucent? No. I was surprised that they tasted it, although I suppose around the edges...

I've got a hunch that Guy looks at Sean and his BOMB-DIGGIDY BLIPPITY BLAP TOTALLY TENTACULAR OCTO-ROCKO [something or other] WITH BANGIN' BOFFO [sauce, or whatever]!!! as the son Hunter and Ryder aren't shameless enough to be. Is it any wonder he's Team Guy's Designated Superstar? He's pretty much a tiny Asian Guy. He has the hair, the over-the-top "energy" to sell the living shit out of whatever needs to be sold, and the willingness to be a cartoon character if that's what it takes. Poochie Junior.

I do understand the "too serious/humorless" objection to Madison, and the various objections to Lauren. But those two continue to be the two who least come across to me as working a well-crafted "child star" angle. Or, in other words, the most genuine. And therefore, they remain my favorites. Neither one of them is going to win, of course. It'll be BOMB-DIGGIDY SEAN or maybe The Gibbinator or -- lord help me -- maybe even Finn. Good thing I don't really give a shit who actually wins. High five!

I might be remembering this wrong, so I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think Sean did a TH at the beginning basically making fun of Finn's previous presentation, specifically the hat and the fake accent and the thing in his teeth (which I kept expecting him to choke on, ack) and how of course Finn won because he was just playing up that hokey cowboy character right?

Cut to the camera challenge this week and Sean does his very own weird fake accent, fisherman angler voice thing. Luckily he dropped it after a sentence or two? But he pretty much literally said "oh fine, you want us to do fake accents, that's what it takes to win? Anyone can do that. OK I will." and then he did. And then it worked. When I heard it (from both, in both episodes) it made me cringe. And yet...they've totally got these judges figured out.

I thought it was especially interesting because it made me think of how sometimes kids'll try and get away with something pretending to be extra cute and it's hilarious because no adult buys it at all, and knows the kids think they're being slick and don't realize how transparent it is? But in this case, the judges do actually seem to be buying it, which is just...I have no words. (and even less respect for them/the show than I did before)

• Love 3
might be remembering this wrong, so I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think Sean did a TH at the beginning basically making fun of Finn's previous presentation, specifically the hat and the fake accent and the thing in his teeth (which I kept expecting him to choke on, ack) and how of course Finn won because he was just playing up that hokey cowboy character right?

Maybe Finn saw Lenny win Food Network Star, and figured fake cowboys was what they were looking for? 

• Love 2

That was Luis, not Sean who did the confessional about Finn's bit.  And Sean did his fake Southern salutation as well, but like the pirate bit, he moved on quickly.  I liked it because it showed a gameness, a willingness to slip on the banana peel but he also knew not to take it too far.

I like this show because this is something I can watch with my child and we both love to cook.  That aside, here's the stuff that grates - I found it absolutely irritating every time the cut away to the parents.  I remembered from last season how much I hated that.  I don't want to see the parents at all.

Also, I cannot stand how Rachel and Guy try to appear "hip" in front of the kids and talk/act "cool".  Comes off as condescending me, even insulting.  Finn's speech impediment.  I know he can't help it but, uggh.  Also agree with the poster up thread - Why have the kids make food then let it sit while they practice their spiel in front of the cameras.  Makes no sense to me.

• Love 1

Gibson has been my favorite since the beginning but I thought Sean or Luis would win so I was both happy and surprised. 

I am terribly sick of practically everyone on all these shows referring to everyone else as 'guys" and "you guys."  How did Americans ever talk to each other before that became the thing to say?  It seemed especially bad on this show for some reason.  I also hated hearing both Guy and Rachael call the kids "chef."  They aren't chefs in any way, shape or form.  I'm surprised that the real chefs on FN don't object.  Maybe they do.  It also irritated me that both Guy and Rachael had sunglasses on at the table at the very end.  Maybe they were facing the sun during the shoot but it looked rude.

I hope I never have to see Lauren again.  What an annoying child.

Interesting that Curtis Stone has joined FN.  I know a lot of people find him dull but I've always liked him so I was happy to hear that.

I was actually pretty surprised at Gibson. I don't hate him or anything; seems like a decent kid. But I call a Mini-Guy win (as others have stated). He just wasn't as ... memorable I guess. Not sure what the right word is. Good for all the kids though. Love how they supported each other so much.

I'm cool with Gibson winning.  I would have also been cool with Sean, Luis, or Amber winning as well.  I found myself being less tolerant of Finn, not because of his accent, but more of how he seemed to be playing the "ooh, I'm so cute and young!" thing more than anyone else.  I lay that at the production/parents' feet.  The other girls might be great in a few years, but they were too jumpy on camera.  Madison's cooking of New Orleans food is near and dear to me as a SE LA resident, and I thought she did a beautiful job on the food, but she was too quiet for TV/webseries.  (Not a character flaw at all, as I was a quiet kid, and would never have had the balls to even try out for something like this.)  Helen and Lauren have quirky personalities, but I think they'll come across better in their later teens/early 20s.  If it were still a "thing", either one of them could have been MTV VJs.  And I totally agree with @oceanchild3, I loved how they all supported each other and expressed that they'll miss being together.

• Love 2

hey aren't chefs in any way, shape or form. I'm surprised that the real chefs on FN don't object. Maybe they do.

For what it's worth, yes, other chefs object to the fact that people call Rachael and Guy "chef" as well. Two or three of my friends who are hard-working, restaurant-owning chefs despise it. Guy has a degree in hotel management from UNLV, Rachael has never had any formal training at all.

I, too, was surprised to see Bravopersonality Curtis Stone showing up as a new FN member as well. I wonder which show they are grooming him to host?

For what it's worth, yes, other chefs object to the fact that people call Rachael and Guy "chef" as well. Two or three of my friends who are hard-working, restaurant-owning chefs despise it. Guy has a degree in hotel management from UNLV, Rachael has never had any formal training at all.

I, too, was surprised to see Bravopersonality Curtis Stone showing up as a new FN member as well. I wonder which show they are grooming him to host?

I don't know if you necessarily need a culinary degree to rate "chef", but I do think you probably should work full-time in a professional kitchen, or at least have experience running one first-hand.  Rachel doesn't have that. Guy does to some extent (although since he spends so much time hosting TV shows he's more like Anthony Bourdain now--an EX chef).

• Love 2

Curtis Stone has made several appearances on that show The Best Thing I Ever Ate and IIRC he competed on Iron Chef America once so he's been on FN's radar for quite some time now.  I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him getting his own show. He's more likable than some of the personalities being crammed down our throats.

The first episode of Gibson's show is up on the FN site.  He's got a great personality and I liked how he interacted with the farmer he spoke with but he made a smoothie that seemed really very simple.  Like last years I dont expect these web series to get much traction but I'm sure its thrilling for him.

I have to say I really enjoyed the series but hope the producers are a bit better for the next go round.  The stars gimmick was especially bad since they kept saying that they count when we saw that they didn't at all.  Gibson didn't win a single camera challenge yet won the competition.  They also telegraphed Sean losing early on when he was caught on camera saying "I've got this in the bag."  He was also the only contestant to get criticized for his food and then for his proposed show.  The obvious next choice would be Amber, so it was a surprise to see Gibson crowned.  Although his show proves he doesn't have what it takes to be on camera, I have no problem with his win because he always seemed to be the one kid who really loved cooking and saw it as transportive.  It would have been nice to see Kermit and Medusa show up to give him his prize.

Already looking forward to Season 3 and hope we get a 12 week commit instead of just 6. 

Curtis Stone has made several appearances on that show The Best Thing I Ever Ate and IIRC he competed on Iron Chef America once so he's been on FN's radar for quite some time now.  I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him getting his own show. He's more likable than some of the personalities being crammed down our throats.

I like him too.  I find him pleasant and likeable which I don't find some of the other cooking show personalities.  I don't need another snotty superios chef in my face.

What I did not care for so much with this show, especially later episodes, was that Guy and Rachel would sort of diss the ideas the kids had for cooking (Guy especially).  I can see them encouraging them to stretch, but not telling them what they should make nor having them make something they've never made before.  Then there's this pretext that in 60 minutes they have cooked this incredible dish based on an ingredient they've never used before.  Not buying it.

While some of the kids were annoying, I am sure they were told to play up to a role...so Luis being a preteen Latin Loverboy, etc...but overall I was more impressed with the maturity and consideration they had for each other.  Certainly it does nothing to prepare them for adult cooking competitions (Masterchef looking at you).

• Love 1

I was pleasantly surprised that Gibson won. I've loved him from the start but after the first two weeks he stopped winning stars and I thought he was done for. I really liked all of the kids and thought this was a great show. I didn't watch season one so I had no idea what to expect. I pretty much watch anything on Food Network and will be watching this again if it continues! I think all the kids should be congratulated for such an amazing job. I hope they all go on to huge and brilliant things in life!

I don't mind Gibson winning, but they need to revamp this show moving forward.  What is the point of handing out all the stars in the weeks leading up to the finale if they are essentially meaningless and everybody is back on equal footing in the finale?  I suspected Sean wouldn't win even before the last episode just because they haven't been giving the kid nearly as much screentime as some of the others. 

Or they could say something about all the stars being wiped off the boards for the finale, that everyone is equal. Give the kid with the most stars a nice prize or maybe let them do a commercial for FN.

Exactly.  Like I feel like there should be some payoff for the person that wins the most stars or otherwise why are we supposed to care who gets them week to week?  Why should the kids even care?

• Love 2

Even though I hate to defend her, Rachel Ray is usually very clear that she is a cook and not a chef.  When she competed on Iron Chef America she was the first one to point out that she was a cook and had not had formal training.  So maybe other people refer to her as a "chef" but she does not.  

• Love 3

The stars gimmick was especially bad since they kept saying that they count when we saw that they didn't at all.  Gibson didn't win a single camera challenge yet won the competition.

I agree.  Just award best dish and be done with it.

Even though I hate to defend her, Rachel Ray is usually very clear that she is a cook and not a chef.  When she competed on Iron Chef America she was the first one to point out that she was a cook and had not had formal training.

Not only that, if I recall correctly, she won.

What is the point of having a competition with points or how many stars a kid chef has earned if it doesn't secure a win? In the real world, those points count for something like being top of the class or a promotion. Maybe, next season, teams could win team stars---that way the stars represent team work and the competition could be anyone's game! I thought Gibson was a good contender for the win, but I didn't think he would win because he didn't earn the most "stars." Also, he is overweight and typically, TV shows only select cute and good-looking people.  Although, lately, it seems that Food Network has been selecting people who are round.  I applaud FN for selecting people from all shapes, sizes, and color;  however, I still think the male gender dominate in many industries including food and TV.  I would like to see more female gender and non-white people selected as winners during the first season of a show.  Gibson showed creativity, talent, and spunk, but I don't think Gibson should have won because he seemed "coached," did not earn the most stars, did not cook the best meals, and he criticized his fellow competitors. He only appeared to be a team player towards the last few challenges.  I wasn't impressed by his Philly and Egg roll on a stick.  I think FN wanted to select someone to win from the East Coast because Coastal Cuisine lady didn't win Food Network Star and they wanted a kid chef to represent White All-American Boy who overcame bullism. Most importantly, Gibson was selected because he was Guy's favorite. Please, I'm tired of all the sob stories from victims who get advantages in competitions.  Maybe, next season, the audience can choose the winner just like the Food Network Star?!

Edited by Chica

Even though I hate to defend her, Rachel Ray is usually very clear that she is a cook and not a chef.  When she competed on Iron Chef America she was the first one to point out that she was a cook and had not had formal training.  So maybe other people refer to her as a "chef" but she does not.  

Same here about defending Rachel.  (She has skills but is annoying, to me.)  You're correct, IMHO, when I've seen her, she's careful to call herself a cook.

Haven't ever seen the kids show and prob won't so sorry to bother all of you.  Has anyone seen a thread for her syndicated, daily talk show?  It's been on for many yrs so am just surprised not to find one. 

Unfortunately, lol, caught a few minutes of it today so was looking to snark. 

Thanks, in advance.

Thanks so much for the info, cooksdelight!   Besides the cooking angle, I wondered if it might be located in some sort of talk show forum but couldn't find that, either.  I'm sure cooking's the best place given that I was flipping channels and noticed Mario, Lidia and the gang on it yesterday.

She seems like she'd rate high on the snark value meter so am surprised it doesn't have a forum.  That plus her show's longevity.  Somebody must like her out there -

Have a great one and thanks, again!

We are working on getting a new forum, with Rachael having her own thread. It may be a week or so while they work out the kinks but I'll post it here once a link is available.

Haven't seen a new thread so hoping this is still in the works.  Did I miss it somehow?  Thanks so much for your help, cooksdelight! 

There's not been anyone requesting a forum for her show(s) since she still has her cooking show in reruns, I think? Anyway, you might be able to find a place to bring up the topic of her show here:

http://forums.previously.tv/forum/935-genre-talk/

Thanks for the info, cooksdelight.  IIRC, I checked it out previously but her show didn't seem to fit into the ongoing conversation.

Now I'm curious how she's stayed on the air for so many years!

Episode 1 aired 8/24:

Eight of the country's most talented kid chefs come together to battle it out in Rachael Ray's Kids Cook-Off. Rachael and guest judge Robert Irvine present the chefs with their first challenge to find out what makes each kid unique and who will make it to the next round.