Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Domino

• Start Topic

On 7/31/2022 at 4:32 PM, greekmom said:

almost forgot to mention that when Charly died, I did google immediately: "Did Seth Mcfarlene break up with Anne Winters?"

I couldn't find anything.

I did too! Hopefully his next ladyfriend will have talent!

• Like 1

I wonder what twenty-something hottie MacFarlane will cast next season.

Also next season, @Chicago Redshirt, there will be a plot where the Union lands a prototype star cruiser that can destroy planets on Krill along an instruction manual to show the Krill what the Union can do to them.

Kaylons back on their ship... "So you invite us to join your federation after all this? MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

If nothing else, Orville is consistent - like almost every ep is written by a talented 16 year old. I had to skip from the beginning of the research station battle until Issac shot the gun out of the Moclan’s hand, maybe 20 minutes? No desire to see pew-pew. And am I the only one who finds the singing performances cringey? Ugh.

I did appreciate the show brought up genocide.  I did. But what happened around it was nonsensical.

i will not miss Charley. Even her funeral pic looked like she was complaining. 

• LOL 2
On 7/29/2022 at 7:24 AM, Colorado David said:

the music is abrasively intrusive again.  uh oh a ship flyby, crank up that brass theme and ready the trumpet stabs. pewpewpew. every scene does NOT need music.

man, I swear for every episode they start with the (hey, we have a budget!) CGI, then score it, then write the script. :(

this show is becoming impossible to watch.

Why was the chief engineer and the ship's main pilot flying a combat fighter. Shouldn't they be on the Orville?  Shouldn't pilots who constantly train fly the combat missions? 

Also, running the device seemed to be pushing a few buttons, the Moclans figured it out pretty quickly,  why did they need Charly and Isaac?

On 9/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, edhopper said:

Why was the chief engineer and the ship's main pilot flying a combat fighter. Shouldn't they be on the Orville?  Shouldn't pilots who constantly train fly the combat missions? 

Also, running the device seemed to be pushing a few buttons, the Moclans figured it out pretty quickly,  why did they need Charly and Isaac?

The Doylist reason why John and Gordon were flying the combat mission is that basically everything relevant on the Orville is going to get done by one of the main characters with few exceptions.

The Watsonian reason would be that a combat mission as important as the one in this ep is going to need all hands on deck. So there are other fighter ships from the Orville and other Union and Kaylon vessels, and we just happened to follow John and Gordon's. Also, Gordon is billed as the best pilot Ed has ever seen, and John had piloting skills too. So their skills are probably best put to use in fighters rather than on the Orville.

Turns out the Moclans didn't need Charly and Isaac in the end. But it would presumably had helped if someone could explain the science behind the Kaylon Krisper and how to adapt it to 100 percent genocide for Kaylons rather than killing them in a relatively small area. And just because operating the device is simple doesn't mean figuring out how to operate the device is simple. I know that by typing keys on my laptop, I can send this message to the Internet. But I only have a basic understanding of the science behind it and could not on my own to introduce certain wrinkles in the process.

• Like 1

This episode confuses the hell out of me. Cpt. Mercer, and the Union in extension, thinks that it is unconscionable to have the Kaylon - while sentient, manufactured being, who killed billions of sentient biological species who just recently was eager to exterminate all living beings - be killed by Krill-Moclan alliance, yet at the same time thinks that it is acceptable to have hundreds of Union servicemembers killed and numerous Union ships destroyed?

On 9/26/2022 at 9:29 AM, TV Anonymous said:

This episode confuses the hell out of me. Cpt. Mercer, and the Union in extension, thinks that it is unconscionable to have the Kaylon - while sentient, manufactured being, who killed billions of sentient biological species who just recently was eager to exterminate all living beings - be killed by Krill-Moclan alliance, yet at the same time thinks that it is acceptable to have hundreds of Union servicemembers killed and numerous Union ships destroyed?

What is confusing about being anti-genocide? Especially when the threat of the Kaylon seemed to be contained?

Of course, the producers stacked the deck by having the Kaylon be willing to reverse their own genocidal ways instead of plotting to figure a counter to the Krisper and reneging on the truce at the earliest opportunity.

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't mind the Charly character.  True, she wasn't so likeable early on, but her character arc was a good one.  And she acquitted herself well in the end.  She was a good Starfleet, er Union, officer.

I'm also confused by the four dimensional thinking thing.  Isn't the fourth dimension time?  So she can make calculations taking time into account?  Isn't that fairly basic math?  Also agree it was idiotic bringing Charly and Isaac to the Kaylon meeting.  in fact, I would have made sure to replicate the device several times over with several separate trained teams to run them, before ever seeking the Kaylon's surrender.

Loved the performance of Simon and Garfunkel's "Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall".  That song, and album, has special meaning to me, and I appreciate that they learned the harmonies.

• Like 1

I love the Simon and Garfunkel song too it’s one of my favorites, but I have to laugh, because here we are hundreds of years in the future and two young people well under the age of 30 no the song so well they said it was a harmonies, and everyone standing around, seems to know it too, while I teach ninth graders, and they’ve just barely heard of the Beatles and I heard them saying who is Paul McCartney when they were doing a game of 20 questions, the other day.

I loved the Simon and Garfunkel song to it’s one of my favorites, but I have to laugh, because here we are hundreds of years in the future and two young people well under the age of 30 know this song, so well, they sing it with the harmonies, and everyone standing around, seems to know it too, while I teach ninth graders, and they’ve just barely heard of the Beatles and I heard them saying who is Paul McCartney when they were doing a game of 20 questions the other day.

At the 21st-century rum, and the many excuses to bring in Broadway show tunes-  not even recent shows but Annie and the king and I. All of this worked better for me when the show was funnier; it feels just ridiculously indulgent now. 

not saying they have to compose new campfire songs but at least do something interesting like an acoustic version of a rap song or something unexpected.

ageee with how ridiculous just one weapon was. I was very confused by that.

honestly this dragged for me and I fell asleep in the middle!