Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Nippy

• Start Topic

(edited)

Old people are not as useless as many young people think.

And young people are not as hopeless as many old people think.

For generations old people have been lamenting the declining state of upcoming generations.

And also for generations young people have been groaning about how old people have screwed up the world.

I just read where Bill Russell died. In my opinion, Bill would have dominated today’s young basketball stars. But I’m a crusty old fart.

But to put things into perspective, Jesse Owens would have left Bo Jackson behind. And many of today’s youngsters don’t even know how freakish Bo was.

Of course this is sports I’m talking about.

But entertainment is similar. George Burns, Jonathan Winters, do kids even know who they were? The aforementioned Alan Alda, MASH, and also Archie Bunker and All in the Family.  Ground breaking stars and shows. Do young people know them?

Similarly, Dave Chapelle, Key and Peele, Bill Burr…oldsters may not find that humor to their liking.

Heck, there are records of people from 500 years ago whining about young people and their slovenly habits. Young artists thought Da Vinci was an old fogey who was behind the times.

Oh crap, gotta go, time for my Metamucil Jello smoothie and Golden Girls/Murder She Wrote marathon.

Edited by Lalo Lives
Extra word
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, scenario said:

She also didn't have a meme attached to her. No "Better take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." Or "Marsha, Marsh, Marsha." Or any one of a hundred from Princess Bride or Monty Python. 

1 hour ago, Starchild said:

Not even "I saw it in the window and just had to have it"? ;)

Or the Tarzan yell?  But I can see the point - there's so much out there, that it's not surprising that younger people just haven't had the opportunity to be exposed to everything that some of us think of as "everyone has seen that!" culture.

11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Or the Tarzan yell?  But I can see the point - there's so much out there, that it's not surprising that younger people just haven't had the opportunity to be exposed to everything that some of us think of as "everyone has seen that!" culture.

A lot of kids have never heard a Tarzan yell before either. And a Gone with the Wind reference would go right over most kids heads. The few who'd heard about GWTW would think of it as that old racist movie they never saw. 

There's so much new material out there why should someone spend time to watch stuff that's 40 years old and then have to watch stuff that's even older to understand what they were making fun of. 

The same thing will happen again. 40 years from now, people's kids won't understand when their parent's talk about Covid. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Quality is ageless. If it's from this year, or a hundred years ago, and it's quality entertainment, it's worth watching.

The problem isn't that people don't have time to wade through everything, it's that they don't take time to learn how to separate wheat from chaff in whatever style their entertainment tastes run to. No matter how old they are.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scenario said:

A lot of kids have never heard a Tarzan yell before either. And a Gone with the Wind reference would go right over most kids heads. The few who'd heard about GWTW would think of it as that old racist movie they never saw. 

There's so much new material out there why should someone spend time to watch stuff that's 40 years old and then have to watch stuff that's even older to understand what they were making fun of. 

The same thing will happen again. 40 years from now, people's kids won't understand when their parent's talk about Covid. 

Yup. So true.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, scenario said:

I know I'm not the only person who didn't get many of the references in old Warner Brothers cartoons but still quoted them and thought they were funny. And still do. ("I wish my brother George was here...")

That said, I was pretty thrilled when I finally saw Lost Weekend and understood the joke about a bartender to Ray Milland a bunch of little typewriters in change.

Jimmy and Kim were watching Born Yesterday, right? So hey, sometimes people make older references you don't know at first. But also nowadays I just don't think typecasting is a thing anymore. People are much more able to accept actors in different roles, imo.

Edited by sistermagpie
19 hours ago, Neiman said:

This "Nippy" episode had me craving Cinnabons.

I'm sure someone at some time has addressed this but I must have missed it.   At one point in "Breaking Bad," as Saul is lamenting the grim future awaiting him, he says, "I'll probably end up managing a Cinnabon in Nebraska."  He said it like it was the worst possible fate he could imagine, not like it was an actual plan.   So, how is it that Saul wound up actually managing a Cinnabon in Nebraska?   What are the odds that the vacuum cleaner guy would set him up with the exact situation he envisioned in a moment of despair?

Is the vacuum cleaner guy the Devil?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I know I'm not the only person who didn't get many of the references in old Warner Brothers cartoons but still quoted them and thought they were funny. And still do. ("I wish my brother George was here...")

I absolutely loved the Warner Bros cartoons, and yes I didn't get every joke. Made me very curious what they referencing, and I was always thrilled when I found out.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, millennium said:

I'm sure someone at some time has addressed this but I must have missed it.   At one point in "Breaking Bad," as Saul is lamenting the grim future awaiting him, he says, "I'll probably end up managing a Cinnabon in Nebraska."  He said it like it was the worst possible fate he could imagine, not like it was an actual plan.   So, how is it that Saul wound up actually managing a Cinnabon in Nebraska?   What are the odds that the vacuum cleaner guy would set him up with the exact situation he envisioned in a moment of despair?

Good question. Do we have any more info? I mean, it has to be that Saul told Ed that he wanted “a Cinnabon in Nebraska,” or that Ed, when talking to Saul about Ed's services, must have used that as an example before the scene quoted, and it was front-of-mind for Saul.

Otherwise, I mean...the odds?

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 2

IIRC he said "if I'm lucky I'll be managing a Cinnabon in Nebraska."

At the time, I interpreted that to be sarcasm, just like you guys are saying.

However, if G&G decided to make that his actual fate, then you could go back to the BB scene and interpret it literally, suggesting that Saul and Ed actually did discuss this particular outcome, with Ed perhaps needing to work out a few more issues at the time Saul has his conversation with Walt. So Saul is hoping for Nebraska, but it's not 100% for sure yet.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, millennium said:

After Saul and Ed the Disappearer get inside the vacuum store, Ed takes a photo of Saul, and Saul sees that Ed is using the photo to make a Nebraska drivers license for Saul.

Saul: Nebraska. What's in Nebraska?

Ed: You. From now on.

So before Saul talks to Walt, Saul already knows that he's going to Nebraska.

Later, when Saul and Walt are talking, Walt tries to convince Saul to disappear with him so they can work together after their disappearance to kill Uncle Jack and the Nazis. Saul refuses to go along with that

Saul:  I'm not your lawyer anymore. I'm nobody's lawyer. The fun's over. From here on out, I'm Mr. Low Profile. Just another douche bag with a job and three pairs of Dockers. If I'm lucky, month from now, best-case scenario, I'm managing a cinnabon in Omaha.

Ed never told Saul he was being relocated to Omaha, but it's a reasonable deduction on Saul's part since Omaha is by the largest city in Nebraska.

As for the Dockers and Cinnabon, that was Saul's choice. I don't think Ed the Disappearer finds people jobs, I think he only gives them new identities and drops them off.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, millennium said:

Maybe the Gene scenes are in reality Saul dreaming and that's why they are in B&W?

Edited by SimplexFish
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, SimplexFish said:

Maybe the Gene scenes are in reality Saul dreaming and that's why they are in B&W?

Oh, great. Why’d you put THAT thought in my head?!

If that turns out to be true, I’m sending Ernesto, Omar, and Lyle to work you over.

1 hour ago, Constantinople said:

After Saul and Ed the Disappearer get inside the vacuum store, Ed takes a photo of Saul, and Saul sees that Ed is using the photo to make a Nebraska drivers license for Saul.

Later, when Saul and Walt are talking, Walt tries to convince Saul to disappear with him so they can work together after their disappearance to kill Uncle Jack and the Nazis. Saul refuses to go along with that

Ed never told Saul he was being relocated to Omaha, but it's a reasonable deduction on Saul's part since Omaha is by the largest city in Nebraska.

As for the Dockers and Cinnabon, that was Saul's choice. I don't think Ed the Disappearer finds people jobs, I think he only gives them new identities and drops them off.

Thanks for this. Clears up things.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Okay, well, it's a little closer to being understandable.   But still it requires believing that Saul said, in a moment of pique, "Best case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha," and then purposely set out to become a manager at Cinnabon.   🤔

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, SimplexFish said:

Interesting. Lots of stuff there I didn't know. For instance:

The imagery changes depending on the episode number, but the order stays consistent across all seasons - i.e. episode 1 will always show the inflatable Statue of Liberty, and episode 10 will always have Saul Goodman's falling coffee mug. 

I also didn't think about there always being 10 eps per season, except for this last one. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, scenario said:

Burnett herself has commented that she expected their old movie parodies to age faster than they have - because people are still watching the same movies they made fun of. (Less, I think, since streaming opened up newer movie libraries than were available before on broadcast TV).

17 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Good question. Do we have any more info? I mean, it has to be that Saul told Ed that he wanted “a Cinnabon in Nebraska,” or that Ed, when talking to Saul about Ed's services, must have used that as an example before the scene quoted, and it was front-of-mind for Saul.

Otherwise, I mean...the odds?

My reading of it was that Saul mentioned it as his fate if he was lucky (ie, got out safely), and I assumed that the Disappearer had told him that was where he'd be going (if he got out safely). And going back to the beginning of "Granite State", I see that's right. Ed is making a  Nebraska driver's license with Saul's picture. Saul: "What's in Nebraska?" Ed: "You. From now on." Then, later, to Walt, he says, "A month from now, *best* case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha."

Edited by wendyg
adding detail

Kind of interesting thing about MUSIC in this regard.

Many kids these days are listening to the stuff I listened to when I was 10, 12, 16 years old.

I guarantee I was not listening to 1920’s and 1930’s music when I was a teenager.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wendyg said:

My reading of it was that Saul mentioned it as his fate if he was lucky (ie, got out safely), and I assumed that the Disappearer had told him that was where he'd be going (if he got out safely). And going back to the beginning of "Granite State", I see that's right. Ed is making a  Nebraska driver's license with Saul's picture. Saul: "What's in Nebraska?" Ed: "You. From now on." Then, later, to Walt, he says, "A month from now, *best* case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha."

Wouldn't it be cool if it turns out this was something Kim, from Nebraska, used to joke about sometimes. And when he finds out he's going to Nebraska, Saul remembers it. And Kim does too, after finding out Saul disappeared. An d maybe goes to check it out on a long shot.

54 minutes ago, Lalo Lives said:

I guarantee I was not listening to 1920’s and 1930’s music when I was a teenager.

I was. Not a lot, but some.

I was not cool.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lalo Lives said:

Kind of interesting thing about MUSIC in this regard.

Many kids these days are listening to the stuff I listened to when I was 10, 12, 16 years old.

Lets see LL...I would guess your music genre back then was either Death Metal or Horror Punk? Possibly Gangster Rap?  😃

Edited by SimplexFish
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think if this episode had aired in the middle of last season, people would have thought, yeah, that was a pretty fun one.  But coming on the heals of this intensity that had been building through the last half of last season and the first part of this one, it was like a bong hit after a cocaine high.  And there were so many slow burn types of episodes in the early seasons of Saul, that you got used to the mundane pace.  But things became so amped up toward the end that it was very jarring to watch an episode where Jimmy/Saul/Gene ingratiates himself with the mall security guards and plots a heist.  There was a reason for this episode, though, as Jimmy/Saul/Gene cannot completely fade into anonymity and must continue to cover his tracks.

• Love 2

At the end of the episode Gene looks at a shirt and tie before putting them back. I've seen comments, not necessarily here, describing the shirt as being a "Saul Goodman" style shirt.

But look what this eagle eyed viewer noticed

The shirt is almost identical, if not identical, to the shirt Jimmy wore in the Season 1 finale when Marco died while they were pulling a scam.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2022 at 3:38 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I do want to say I would be perfectly content if this had been the final ep.  G&G answered the core issue of Jimmy's humanity/nature.  Kim's too, for that matter.  

Nooooooooo!!!!!

Funny thing: I binged Paper Girls (which I recommend heartily!) last week and a character (played by Jason Mantzoukas, for all the The Good Place fans 😁) has a long monolog about how the timeline is like a mixtape and that if you record too many times over it, the tape will eventually break.

It definitely reminded me of the title sequence on BCS and how it slowly degraded season after season until this episode it stopped completely.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2022 at 9:14 AM, Lalo Lives said:

I was! I became a big Bix Beiderbecke fan, because our public library had an album of his old songs, and I loved it. In fact, I recently had a 3 lp box of 1930s popular "jazz" transferred to CDs because it didn't exist in any other format. 

At the same time, I also had a 17th century Hungarian harpsichord lp, a early 1960s Peter Pan/Alice in Wonderland lp, a NatGeo Greek folk music lp transferred. A very eclectic mix!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I really thought that after Jeffy fell he was going to have some kind of brain hemorrhage and be found dead in the morning either in the crate or the washroom.

Also it is crazy to think how long that con must have taken to set up. Just figuring out Carol Burnett's daily schedule and when/where you might be able to meet up with her and get her stuck must have taken weeks. 

And damnit Jerry, you had one job that was to literally sit and watch TV and you couldn't even do that right.

• Like 1