Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Nippy

• Start Topic

It seems the end of Fun & Games was the day Saul woke up and never thought about Howard, Jimmy, or Kim, at all. And he never did through all of Br. Ba. Until that phone call….

No duality in Saul’s life anymore.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Carol Burnett!!!!

And Nippy’s Gene’s dog? Oh no, please don’t tell me something happens to him…or is there even a dog? Is it just a scam to try and find Kim?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

I thought the new actor was a much better fit for this role. The original actor was loutish and kind of menacing. This actor played much more schlubby and susceptible to a con, imho.

• Like 2
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, SimplexFish said:

I dont like the actor that replaced Jeff the cab driver... not a good "Jeff" at all

Yeah, he’s so hapless and not at all satisfyingly skeevy as the original guy.

Saul put too much on taxi driver’s shoulders with all that swag!  Greed will be the undoing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Saul put too much on taxi driver’s shoulders with all that swag!  Greed will be the undoing.

He had to get the value up to ensure the value of the various criminal penalties he rattled off. 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
Poor sentence structure must always be fixed.
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

All that time of Gene being too scared to even call security when he got locked in the storage room…now his id is starting to rear its ugly head once again.

Three episodes left, and I have no earthly idea what to expect. Is it just going to alternate between Saul’s glory days and whatever is left of Gene’s life?

• Love 9
(edited)

Also, whither Walter and Jesse? Very reliable sources (outside production) assured us tonight's was the episode they'd appear.

Now I'm thinking it'd be awesome if "The Return of Walter and Jesse" was vaporware, propaganda, a misdirect. Conning the audience of your show about con artists is the best con of all!

Edited by Penman61
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

So was the color off on anyone elses tv?   Kidding kidding.

"Let me tell you the story of a 50 year old chemistry teacher who came into my office one day."

Jimmy.  Saul.  Gene.  Or by any other name the dude is a con artist.

Jimmy should know by his third personality that he shouldn't be working with armatures.

It always comes back to Albuquerque doesn't it. 

I was actually expecting Carol Burnett to know EXACTLY who Gene was.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Didn't like this episode and it reminded me of a very poor, wannabe knockoff of Fargo.   

Jimmy. Saul. Gene.  Doesn't matter what you call him, he's a turd.  I hope Carol Burnett isn't wasted and she fucks him up.

I'm just glad the fat security guard didn't keel over and die from eating the Cinnabons.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Carol Burnett and the guy from Parks and Rec, great, nifty camera angles as always, charming scheming Jimmy, elaborate plot, but it fell flat for me. Topping it off, my pet peeve, fake snow on fully leafed out trees in Omaha winter.  Maybe that was intentional cheesiness, not sure what to think.

• Love 6

Such a Jimaune scheme and Carol's comment at the end where she say's he's such a good influence on Jeffie; there was an infinitesimal dimming of Jimaune eye, and had a niggling of a conscience. 

This was so brilliant, but was so concerned about the security guard's health - that's what I was holding my breath about. You knew Jimaune was going to get away with it (Cinnabon ex machina). 

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I don't know if it's the three martinis I had, but I'm not sure I knew what was going on or if we're supposed to be in the dark.

Gene is doing something to ensure that Jeff doesn't expose him, but I don't understand what the plan is.

I half-expected 'Jerry' to keel over from a heart attack after eating all those Cinnabons.

I wonder if any recaps/analyses I read will enlighten me, because as it stands now, there didn't seem that much to be happening in this ep. Just a lot of setup.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
33 minutes ago, SimplexFish said:

I dont like the actor that replaced Jeff the cab driver... not a good "Jeff" at all

29 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

I thought the new actor was a much better fit for this role. The original actor was loutish and kind of menacing. This actor played much more schlubby and susceptible to a con, imho.

I went back & forth on this bc original flavor Jeff had a creep factor that made you feel he would really corner Saul. But this actor made it work as someone easily manipulated.

15 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Same.

I think there's a bit of negative reaction on reddit. And truth be told I found the middle stretch of caper planning excruciating. But overall I think I have to sit with this one a bit, bc I'm not sure if I feel a certain way bc I'm looking at the calendar- trying to figure how this will all wrap after spending almost an hour at the mall.

Also, as much as I love Odenkirk I hated seeing the credits with only his name! I'm already missing Mike Ehrmantraut in my life!

Edited by chick binewski
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

This episode gave me BrBa 3/10 "Fly" flashbacks! The store layout in the snow, the ridiculous "slip and fall" from the bad Jeff, the fat security guard licking his fingers along with all their jovial camaraderie when the nightly Cinnabons would be delivered, the MY loading dock lady. What a waste of 1 of the last 4. What happened G&G?!?!

Edited by SimplexFish
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

I went back & forth on this bc original flavor Jeff had a creep factor that made you feel he would really corner Saul. But this actor made it work as someone easily manipulated.

Honestly, they now seem like two totally different characters. The guy who confronted Saul at the mall doesn’t seem one bit like the loser doofus in tonight’s episode. Both were well-acted. But they were not the same character.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 14

I preferred this scheme much more than the one pulled on Howard. For me, that was disappointing.  Like, that’s all you got?  On this it was funny and sneaky.  Glad the guy didn’t die from a head injury though.  That would have been a fiasco. Lol 

What was the shirt and tie about that Gene left hanging in the store?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Such a Jimaune scheme and Carol's comment at the end where she say's he's such a good influence on Jeffie; there was an infinitesimal dimming of Jimaune eye, and had a niggling of a conscience. 

This was so brilliant, but was so concerned about the security guard's health - that's what I was holding my breath about. You knew Jimaune was going to get away with it (Cinnabon ex machina). 

Like another poster, maybe I’m having the three martini problem, but who/what is Jimaune?

• Love 9

Didn't hate it but didn't quite love it either. It was a much slower outing than anything we've seen up to this point as we speed toward the finish, being mostly interesting for the kernels of truth about Gene's very lonely existence with bits of Slippin' Jimmy and Saul too bleeding through even as he was getting caught up in the con before he dropped the hammer on Jeffy. Mostly I was struck by just how much work Gene was willing to put into pulling this off and what it said about his life in Omaha that he'd even consider it worth the hassle. 

• Love 17
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Also, whither Walter and Jesse? Very reliable sources (outside production) assured us tonight's was the episode they'd appear.

Well, Walt was mentioned, so maybe that counts.

I reallly liked this episode and didn't think it was boring at all. I half-expected it to start going into color when Gene started scamming and so felt more alive and I was genuinely afraid when Jeffie slipped and fell. But the main point, to me, wasn't about the scheme but how empty Gene's life is. His only friends are the guys he's pretending to be friends with from the scheme, and thinking about his past life--his BCS life, not the BB life, is painful. But he can't hide behind the Saul suit anymore.

That point where he talked about having lost his brother etc. was probably the first time he'd talked about any of that since pre-BB.

1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Like another poster, maybe I’m having the three martini problem, but who/what is Jimaune?

I assume it's Jimmy/Saul/Gene.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 13

The way I see it, this elaborate scheme was just about protecting himself from Jeff, as he told the disappearer he was going to take care of this himself. If Jeff rats Jimmy, he also gets into serious trouble, federal crimes.

But it brought back a strong yearning for his old life, with his loving handling of the loud suit and tie. 

But ultimately he made the choice to stay in the shadows as Gene.

Growth?

I loved that wistful break in his voice when he told the guard his brother was dead.

• Like 3
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, sistermagpie said:

Well, Walt was mentioned, so maybe that counts.

I reallly liked this episode and didn't think it was boring at all. I half-expected it to start going into color when Gene started scamming and so felt more alive and I was genuinely afraid when Jeffie slipped and fell. But the main point, to me, wasn't about the scheme but how empty Gene's life is. His only friends are the guys he's pretending to be friends with from the scheme, and thinking about his past life--his BCS life, not the BB life, is painful. But he can't hide behind the Saul suit anymore.

I assume it's Jimmy/Saul/Gene.

Yeah, the whole spiel about how alone he is….it wasn’t just to stall for time.  It was actually true.  

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Didn't hate it but didn't quite love it either. It was a much slower outing than anything we've seen up to this point as we speed toward the finish, being mostly interesting for the kernels of truth about Gene's very lonely existence with bits of Slippin' Jimmy and Saul too bleeding through even as he was getting caught up in the con before he dropped the hammer on Jeffy. Mostly I was struck by just how much work Gene was willing to put into pulling this off and what it said about his life in Omaha that he'd even consider it worth the hassle. 

Yeah. During the montage of Gene cultivating the security guys, I felt a bit sad about it because Gene doesn't have anyone in Omaha, and this could have been an opportunity to develop a friendship. Instead he's just using them and could land them in trouble. Then when he gave that sob story to delay Jerry from checking the monitors, it was an act but also true.

• Love 5

As soon as he put on that pinky ring, you knew Slippin' Jimmy was back.

He was just protecting his own ass, but it's probably the most excitement he's had in awhile.

Those poor security guards, once the scam is over, so are the free nightly cinnabons.

• Sad 2
  • Love 11

I enjoyed this episode. I’m interested in Gene and the choices he makes going forward. Clearly, there is a lot of Saul still in him. That look at the paisley shirt and striped tie are evidence of it.

I’m curious to see how the next 3 episodes are split between Saul and Gene. We know much of what’s to come for Saul although I expect there are things that will be expanded on. For example, how did he come into possession of the diamonds?

We are likely done with Jeff. Now Gene will need to decide if he wants to continue to live in the shadows.

Carol Burnett was great. I couldn’t watch that security guard eat all of those cinnamon buns.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Now I'm thinking it'd be awesome if "The Return of Walter and Jesse" was vaporware, propaganda, a misdirect. Conning the audience of your show about con artists is the best con of all!

They were mentioned at least. 

17 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Me too.  She has this shrewd undercurrent in all the roles she plays so I was waiting/hoping for a twist. 

16 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Didn't like this episode and it reminded me of a very poor, wannabe knockoff of Fargo.  

I liked it more than you did, although I do usually expect a little more from a Michelle Maclaren episode.  But within the first five minutes, I too was getting a Fargo vibe. 

3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Gene is doing something to ensure that Jeff doesn't expose him, but I don't understand what the plan is.

Gene knows the cab driver knows he's Saul Goodman but he also knows Jeff hasn't gone to the authorities yet.  Instead of playing wait-and-see with the cab driver, he roped him into a mutual destruction situation.    I don't think Jeff was gullible.  I think Jeff was a thrill seeker and that's what Saul picked up on. 

Saul got Jeff to commit both federal and state crimes.  He's basically telling Jeff that if he is caught for any crimes of Saul, Jimmy or Gene, he's going to take Jeff with him.  Now he doesn't have to wait and wonder if Jeff will go to the cops. Jeff is sufficiently trapped that he can't go to the cops. (Although I bet he could probably get immunity if he played his cards correctly.)

But I also think the con filled an empty part of his life because he made it more elaborate than it needed to be.

9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What was the shirt and tie about that Gene left hanging in the store?

It's a very Saul outfit. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

The scheme was entertaining enough, but the episode felt very padded.

We know that Gene misses his days as a big shot con artist, so it wasn't necessary to hit us over the head with that. That was already quite clear from when he wrote the "SG was here" graffiti.

There were a few telling moments, like his confession to the security guard that was based in reality. And I guess this may be setting up a plot where he slides back into his old ways. But there was no need to devote an entire episode to this. Not when we have so few left.

• Love 9