Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Seven Deadly Sins

• Start Topic

I think they liked their pieces because the pieces were actually different and not a literal interpretation. But I did get what Grace's inspiration was. I had a coworker who watched mukbang videos and that is the epitome gluttony to me.  The people in the videos just gorge themselves but since you're listening to them eating, I think that's where they were coming from. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I still can't believe the sloth guy didn't leave. I mean, he literally created a sloth!!! And not even a very good one! The critique mentioned something about it being scary or whatever? Sloths are not scary in the least! It was truly ugly and conceptually bankrupt.

Sorry I'm coming across so strong on this one, I really think he should have left (even though in every ep I've said he has fabulous hair 🤣)

I know why they sent the gal who copied some famous glass guy home, but at least her piece was beautifully done...although again, conceptually I'm struggling. These were supposed to represent sins, and yet she was linking it to Pride interpreted as we do today as referencing LGBTQ+? I think it was a misfire from that point of view.

Eh, in every judging I don't usually understand any of what the judges say. I know what I like visually - and even sometimes conceptually - but clearly I'm not an artist and I have a hard time getting past what I'm looking at to the meaning below.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

The artists are given the challenges ahead of time, and I was really disappointed. I mean, come on, people! Almost none of these was really a contemplation on the assigned sin. Sloth guy totally should have been booted. And PS. Sloth's are not "lazy!" They have extremely slow metabolisms. (I love sloths!)

Since no one was nailing the challenge, the woman with the derivative vase deserved to stay over the sloth. I have never heard of mukbang videos, so they may be gluttonous, but that artist's presentation of a single pickle, a tiny loaf of something and a bowl of something hardly looked like some excessive feast. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 7/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, Door County Cherry said:

And he has to take anger management classes?  That can't be good.

Dan mentioned that he had gotten very angry when his father died. I got the impression that he's doing much better now. Either way, good for him for recognizing that they were something he needed.

7 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

These were supposed to represent sins, and yet she was linking it to Pride interpreted as we do today as referencing LGBTQ+? I think it was a misfire from that point of view.

I was surprised no one brought that up. Especially since this season seems to be leaning hard on the diversity and inclusion themes (which I actually like. This group of contestants is mare varied than we usually get).

3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The artists are given the challenges ahead of time

That's disappointing. I thought they were coming up with their ideas on the fly which is more interesting to me. Knowing they have time to prep makes some of the work less impressive (and some entries become embarrassing).

• Love 4

IIRC, when they were introducing the challenge, they did say that they wanted a different/modern take on the Sins; not necessarily the sin aspect but a fresh/modern take on it. 

I almost think they had LGBTQ+ pride in mind for the Pride sin and that's why they had that part of the rules included. 

I agree with others that I felt the use of Pride in the diversity sense didn't fit the sin.  It's one thing if they represent the sin in new, different ways, but equating LGBTQ Pride with sinful pride is just wrong to me.   But maybe that wasn't what she was doing, or how she meant it to come across.  I really don't get conceptual art.  Maybe I needed a rainbow foot crushing a clearer representation of sinful pride, like a glass Kardashian.  That said, the piece was beautiful. 

17 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The artists are given the challenges ahead of time,

Is this a known fact, or an assumption based on other creative challenge shows (GBBO)?  It doesn't seem necessary for this - everything they need is in the glass shop.  I've never gotten the impression they had advance notice, but I don't know for sure either way.

• Love 3

I just assume they know in advance @chaifan and @akg

It looks to me like they film the parts where the challenges are given out and where the artists are rudimentarily sketching out their ideas on plexiglass or drawing on the ground with chalk before the actual challenge day. Obviously, a lot more planning has to go into it than that I would assume. But perhaps I am just extrapolating from BGGO, Sewing Bee, Pottery Throw Down, etc. I would do some google investigation right now, but I'm afraid I will be spoiled on the winner! I will do it once I get to the end.   

23 hours ago, Taeolas said:

IIRC, when they were introducing the challenge, they did say that they wanted a different/modern take on the Sins; not necessarily the sin aspect but a fresh/modern take on it. 

I almost think they had LGBTQ+ pride in mind for the Pride sin and that's why they had that part of the rules included. 

I actually felt like going the LGBT route with Pride was so obvious it was artistically boring - especially as there wasn't a more specific or nuanced message, and the artist herself doesn't seem to be part of the LGBT community.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I thought the pride piece was beautiful.  She totally took the wrong spin on it.  She should have leaned completely in on the reproduction of a glass master as her prideful element.  Made it even more derivative.  Then she could have doubled down on the irony and affixed the rainbow baubles.  

• Love 1

I only half pay attention to the making part of the show as I'm trying to go into judging not knowing who did what and try to judge just on what I see. The only one I could really tell was wrath because of the grapes and because I heard them mention the book several times, and that that horrible demon baby was meant to be a sloth so his must have been sloth. Otherwise, I had no clue what they were representing. I guess I'm not "artistic" enough. I just like attractive, well-made things. 

• Love 1