Type keyword(s) to search

What is Celebrity Jeopardy In the Media?

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Hell, I haven't even heard of half these people.

Patton Oswalt is always a good guest on shows (as well as a fun actor).
Here he is solving a NY Times crossword puzzle: 

So I think he'll do well playing Jeopardy!.

Edited by shapeshifter
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Patton Oswalt is always a good guest on shows (as well as a fun actor).
Here he is solving a NY Times crossword puzzle: 

So I think he'll do well playing Jeopardy!.

He's one of the ones I've heard of.  Not a big fan of his, though.

• Like 1

Yay, Aisha Tyler!  I was hoping she'd be the next host of the regular series, so I'll have to settle for an appearance on this.

I'm excited for Candace Parker, too, but they all seem like people who'll be fun to watch (those I "know", anyway; I've never seen Simu Liu or B.J. Novack in anything).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, opus said:

Simu Liu is guest hosting Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight if you’re interested.

I think he also hosted an episode of SNL last season and was charming.  I've also enjoyed him on various late night talk shows.  

• Like 1

I don't generally watch all the videos people link for myriad reasons I don't bore you with, and certainly a rules change seems like something that should be in writing. Is there an article with the information that you know of?

Eta: the only thing Google would find that's recent is this, which is still weirdly vague. Is it only one hour show one time? So why add a third round? And with the dollar values all lowered? Apparently they this their celebs won't be able to handle it? But they have 27 people (instead of 54)? It's confusing me.

Edited by Ailianna
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

But they have 27 people (instead of 54)? It's confusing me

The idea behind 27 vs 54 is that if they kept CJ! the same as regular J!, they would have to have 2 half-hour shows (since regular J! is half an hour and there is a one hour time slot for CJ!)---3 "celebs" per half hour would equal 54 celebs (since, I guess, there will only be nine one-hour episodes). By having a one-hour single show (hence the change of the game---if you figure 15 min per round (single & double jeopardy), you would need to add a third round (triple jeopardy?) to fill up the "hour" (45 min plus ads)), they would still have 3 celebs per episode=27 celebs overall. Now, CWoF does (essentially) two half-hour shows in their one-hour timeslot, with the same 3 celebs for both halfs and doesn't change the game from the regular WoF, so I don't know why CJ! has to change. They don't need to switch to 3 new celebs for the second half hour! 

At least, that's my interpretation.

• Like 1
On 9/16/2022 at 7:22 AM, shapeshifter said:

Interesting. Celebrity Jeopardy! format changes due to it's being an hour-long show, as well as due to having celebrities who have not taken or passed the usual test to be on the show:

9 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I don't generally watch all the videos people link for myriad reasons I don't bore you with, and certainly a rules change seems like something that should be in writing. Is there an article with the information that you know of?

Here's the transcript of the video. 
I included the time stamps.

Transcript

0:00         So here we are on the Alex Trebek stage, a piece of Inside Jeopardy!
0:03         bonus video for you. 
0:06         Bonus content.
0:07         Discussing the format, not really change, but format addition
0:12         on Celebrity Jeopardy!: the addition of Triple Jeopardy!.
0:15         Yeah, we could not wait to unveil it.
0:18         Now we get to talk about it.
0:19         For the first time ever, dollar amounts are tripled
0:22         and there are three Daily Doubles hidden on the board.
0:24         Yeah, and it really makes a difference.
0:25         And look, this was the challenge: we have an hour format in primetime.
0:28         We make a half-hour daily.
0:31         And what's happened in previous editions, certainly on J.N.C.C.
0:34         we did this, we just made two half hours back to back.
0:37         That would have meant booking,
0:39         I think we're already booking 27 celebrities over the run.
0:41         We're looking at 54...
0:42         It would have made 54 celebrities, which seemed with the late notice,
0:45         this show was ordered quite late on in the year.
0:47         We didn't have a lot of preparation.
0:49         And so early on we started thinking about how could we make it an hour format?
0:52         In fact, one of the reasons we built this desk was
0:55         one of the ideas is we were going to have this sort of Inside Jeopardy!
0:59         sports center desk to maybe talk about... Pre-Game! Post-game!
1:03         Mid-game!
1:04         At every single point.
1:06         But in the end, we really sort of,
1:08         you know, settled upon the idea of building a new round, Triple Jeopardy!.
1:12         Now, it's not the first time.
1:13         It's the first time it's been done in the United States.
1:15         It's not the first time it's been done anywhere in the world.
1:17         One of the foreign formats...
1:20         You know, I get these reports on- Jeopardy! isn't in many countries around the world,
1:23         it's in a few.
1:24         But in one of the foreign countries, they had tried Triple Jeopardy! before.
1:27         And that got me thinking
1:29         and we experimented with the dollar values and it seems to work pretty well.
1:33         Yes. That's one interesting change we made.
1:35         In Celebrity, we start out with the Jeopardy!
1:37         round $100 to $500. $200 to $1000 in Double.
1:39         And then in Triple it's $300 to $1500.
1:41         So even though the amounts are triple, it's not these incredibly high totals
1:46         that could really change the score if you're so far behind.
1:48         But what we've seen so far, it really worked out perfectly.
1:51         Yeah, Triple Jeopardy! is the round where...
1:54         just as Double Jeopardy!
1:56         is the round that really affects the outcome of the game on the,
1:58         you know, on the Jeopardy!
2:00         syndicated show, Triple Jeopardy!
2:01         is really where the game changes.
2:03         And Final Jeopardy!, we should say.
2:05         Of course. But Triple Jeopardy!
2:07         is really where it changes.
2:08         And I think the one thing about the leveling,
2:09         the one thing about the dollar values is that that was decided
2:13         to bring the dollar values down to the old original Jeopardy!
2:17         round values
2:19         partly because the leveling of the material.
2:21         You know, with celebrities, they haven't taken the test.
2:24         We don't really know how smart they are.
2:26         Some of them, Andy Richter, certainly, you know, a couple of our players,
2:31         we know that they've played Jeopardy!
2:32         before, but on the whole, we didn't really know what was going to happen.
2:36         We don't really know the trivia level of the players who are playing the game.
2:40         So we wanted to ease up the material in the Jeopardy!
2:43         round. Double Jeopardy! it gets harder.
2:45         Triple Jeopardy!, it gets harder again,
2:47         but it's a much more accessible show, I think, for an entire family.
2:50         Yes.
2:50         And we kind of have seen so far that Triple Jeopardy!
2:53         could be the great equalizer.
2:54         So can't wait for everyone to be able to see Celebrity Jeopardy! at home.
2:58         Yeah. And as always, let us know what you think.
3:00         Comment below on this video, wherever you’re watching it, on Twitter, YouTube.
3:04         Follow us, subscribe.
3:06         Hit us up on all of the social platforms.
3:07         September 25th, Celebrity Jeopardy!, primetime, ABC.
3:10         Don't miss it.

Thank you! That's very kind of you to do!

It still sounds dumb though. Even their Triple J! is still less money than regular DJ! And they basically said they dumbed it down for celeb so now all the family dummies can play too. I'll still check it out, and I hope it's better than this sounds.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Ailianna said:

And they basically said they dumbed it down for celeb

Which is going back to the original formula -- that's how the SNL sketch came about, because back in the day when regular J! did a celebrity game or tournament, they dumbed down the clues, and half the celebrities still couldn't come up with them.

I suspect this show will have the loosey-goosey feel those old episodes did, with banter among the players.  And I suspect, since this went into production quite shortly after it was ordered, we will see some tweaking as it goes along and they figure out what works and what doesn't.  They deliberately made it a separate, hour-long prime time series, rather than just doing a tournament on the regular show, so it makes sense we'll see significant differences in format and tone.

I'm curious to see how it comes out.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I know Ambudkar from Ghosts and Hampshire from Schitt's Creek, but those are the only names I recognize.  I'll have to look up the others to see if I recognize faces.

I don't think I'm going to watch, though.  I know the clues were written before the WGA called its strike and this is not affected by the SAG-AFTRA strike (as hosting game shows is covered by the Network Code contract, which is unstruck), but it just feels uncomfortable to me.  It would kick ass if they all chose a fund for striking workers as their charity, though.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It would kick ass if they all chose a fund for striking workers as their charity, though.

^I like this idea a lot. 👏 I guess we'll have to see if it occurred to any of the celebrity contestants. 

I've always been kinda meh on CJ anyway. I'm not sure if I'll watch or not.

On 9/23/2023 at 4:38 PM, Bastet said:

I know Ambudkar from Ghosts and Hampshire from Schitt's Creek, but those are the only names I recognize.  I'll have to look up the others to see if I recognize faces.

I don't think I'm going to watch, though.  I know the clues were written before the WGA called its strike and this is not affected by the SAG-AFTRA strike (as hosting game shows is covered by the Network Code contract, which is unstruck), but it just feels uncomfortable to me.  It would kick ass if they all chose a fund for striking workers as their charity, though.

Game 1, right off the bat, Utkarsh Ambudkar is playing for SAG-AFTRA's strike fund.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Game 1, right off the bat, Utkarsh Ambudkar is playing for SAG-AFTRA's strike fund.

I’m guessing the 3 celebrity contestants have to select unique (for that day) charities, but Utkarsh Ambudkar was the only one who chose WGA or SGA.