Type keyword(s) to search

The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil (Ebook/Audiobook)

• Start Topic

The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil, a digital novella by MacFarlane adapting a script intended for an episode of The Orville: New Horizons that never went into production due to COVID-19-related obstructions. 

When Captain Ed Mercer and the crew of the U.S.S. Orville come face-to-face with one of humanity’s most vile ideologies, they must solve the moral conundrum of who to hold accountable for evil deeds real… and imagined. Occurring just after episode S03.E08, this is the Orville like you’ve never seen it before.

The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil is an original 120 page digital novella/ 3 hour audiobook and would have aired as the ninth episode of Season 3 of The Orville: New Horizons. 
orville-sympathy-for-the-devil-novella.j

The book "The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil" is available on July 19. The Ebook is $2.99 available from Amazon and Barnes and Noble and the Audiobook narrated by Bruce Boxleitner is available for $7.99 from Barnes and Noble and for $6.99 from Apple Books.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Occurring just after episode S03.E08, this is the Orville like you’ve never seen it before.

I wonder if this means there are plots and issues covered in this audio book that will be referred to in later episodes?

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if this means there are plots and issues covered in this audio book that will be referred to in later episodes?

I will keep my fingers crossed that there are many more later episodes for them to potentially revisit it, but I'd tend to think that with just two episodes this season, they would shave any built-in references to an unaired episode.

It looks like it's on Audible, so I likely will give it a listen and give some thoughts and a summary sometime soon.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Here are two of the set locations that would have been used if "Sympathy for the Devil" had been filmed.

FWHl-AOUIAE_eYm?format=jpg&name=4096x409
FWHl-AvVEAEIut1?format=jpg&name=large

The second picture looks like it's from "All the World is Birthday Cake"

(edited)

So I listened to it, and relatively enjoyed it. It was probably more interesting as an audiobook than it would have been as a filmed episode.

FWIW, it doesn't seem likely to have much impact on the greater Orville universe, as it's a pretty self-contained, low-stakes adventure.

But if you have a few bucks to spend and a few hours to kill, you could do worse. And hey, if the audiobook/ebook sells well, maybe it will increase the odds that there will be a fourth season.

I'll give a summary and some further thoughts under spoiler tags. 

The episode starts around 1914 in a New York hotel. A woman frantically runs in and hands a baby to a clerk. The hotel staff gives the baby to a German couple that returns to Germany. Otto grows up to be a young Nazi who falls in love, gets married, has a son. He becomes estranged from his own baker father as he gets deeper and deeper in the Nazi party. Otto rises up the ranks to be commadant over a concentration camp that is scheduled to get an inspection from the Red Cross. The inspectors turn out to be: Ed and Kelly. 

It turns out that the parents of the baby were off-grid engaging in forbidden energy research when the Krill learned of them. While the scientists were in the aforementioned simulator with their son, Adam, the Krill attacked. Desperate to try and secure the baby's safety, they stuck him with simulated people and tried to throw the Krill off-track. So while they were captured by the Krill and held for 30 years, their baby got the identity of Otto Vogel, and the simulator kept going for 30 years, all while he came to embrace Nazism. The Krill eventually released the scientist parents, who had been haunted all this time about the welfare of their son.

Adam is now a man out of time, firmly believing in Nazi principles that of course have no place against the backdrop of the Planetary Union. They try to ease him into the reality of the situation. The crew debates what to do about him and how to get him to adjust to their reality. Prisons as such no longer apparently exist, and his crimes of killing numerous simulated people aren't really crimes. Or are they? Is he a psychopath or just a normal person who bent under the influence of a demagogue like many of us might? Gordon shows him a clip from Flash Gordon to ease him into the concept of space travel, and then they show him the windows outside to space. He is still having trouble accepting all this, and eventually breaks free and gets to a simulator and sets it for post-war setting where Germany has won and he is back with his wife and son. 

In a flashforward epilogue, Adam is a 95-year-old baker in the real world, and an older Ty buys a loaf from him. So he has apparently eventually decided to give up his Nazi past and fake reality.

It felt to me like there was precious little time spent with the actual crew of the Orville and the most interesting thing was the dilemma about what to do with Adam, and that was glossed over. The story was pretty much done straight-up, which makes sense, because Nazis. But it's again something where part of the attraction of the show is how it weaves in humor and I was missing that.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
On 7/22/2022 at 9:03 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

So I listened to it, and relatively enjoyed it. It was probably more interesting as an audiobook than it would have been as a filmed episode.

FWIW, it doesn't seem likely to have much impact on the greater Orville universe, as it's a pretty self-contained, low-stakes adventure.

But if you have a few bucks to spend and a few hours to kill, you could do worse. And hey, if the audiobook/ebook sells well, maybe it will increase the odds that there will be a fourth season.

I'll give a summary and some further thoughts under spoiler tags. 

Hide contents

Thank you for the synopsis.

I now want to buy and read it but question before I do:

Spoiler

Does it explain how or why Adam went from Nazi dude in the simulator to a simple baker?

(edited)
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Thank you for the synopsis.

I now want to buy and read it but question before I do:

Hide contents

Does it explain how or why Adam went from Nazi dude in the simulator to a simple baker?

You're of course welcome. And, no. The last chapter has him running to a simulator on the Orville and figuring out how to program it to take him to a scenario where the Nazis win and have installed a puppet regime in America and he's with his wife and now-16 year-old kid. He was 30 in real chronological years at that point. Then there's the epilogue where he's a 95 year-old baker and Ty buys bread from him. So we are left to assume that somewhere in the next 60ish years, he managed to outgrow his Nazi ideology and live in the real world.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 3

I really liked this! And it was well written, to the point where I could really envision it playing out on screen. I think it was a great way to get that storyline out there even though they couldn’t shoot the episode. If they don’t get picked up for season four, I wouldn’t mind getting some more novellas in this style.

• Like 1