Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: The Long Goodbye

• Start Topic

On 8/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, Jillybean said:

I think I'm in the minority but I enjoyed the season much more once I started fast-forwarding through all of the Brie & Brady scenes. I don't enjoy them as a couple and I don't enjoy Brady in any scenes. I liked Brie's scenes with Mel and with Jack, but she and Brady had WAY too much screen time. Brie is much too old to still be falling for "bad boys"  and Brady is just plain unlikeable, even if they did try to begin redeeming him in the last two episodes. I wish they had cast a good-looking guy in the part, then maybe I could see the attraction. Apparently some think he is...but I'm not seeing it. I saw a promo for a Hallmark movie he's starring in coming up, so I guess they think he's marketable. 

Preacher is my favorite character so I was happy to see him finally start to get a life that doesn't revolve around Paige and Christopher, but then they had to go and ruin that.

I guess they have to have something for everyone,  I think the sex scenes with Brie and Brady are 100x hotter than those with Mel and Jack.

And while I enjoy the character of Preacher, the whole Paige/Christopher saga works my last nerve.  I liked him way better with the new lady. 

• Applause 1
3 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I started fast-forwarding through all of the Brie & Brady scenes. I don't enjoy them as a couple

Me neither.  I hated to say it first since so many people here like them.  I don't know if it's the actress herself or the character she plays.

• Like 2
On 7/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, waaay2muchTV said:

And, don't get me started on how cringe worthy and whiny Mel has been this season....everything is such a Big Deal to her!  Not sure how Jack hasn't caught on to how high maintenance she's going to be! 

To be fair, he hasn’t caught on because he’s only known her 5 months. They are so BUSY in Virgin River! Think twice before you vacation there…you may wind up engaged, pregnant, kidnapped and recovering from a major accident over the long weekend 😜

• LOL 13
40 minutes ago, RedInk said:. They are so BUSY in Virgin River! Think twice before you vacation there…you may wind up engaged, pregnant, kidnapped and recovering from a major accident over the long weekend 😜

Don’t forget also having attended the festival of the month.  Based on the crowd  size, it appears mandatory to attend 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Don’t forget also having attended the festival of the month.  Based on the crowd  size, it appears mandatory to attend 

I was thinking the same thing. How do these people have time to plan all these festivals, weddings, funerals, camping trips, baby showers, and cabin remodels (seriously, Mel’s cabin alone should have taken at least three seasons in show time) in the space of five months? Not to mention healing from the shootings, druggings, stabbings, and brain injuries!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I was thinking the same thing. How do these people have time to plan all these festivals, weddings, funerals, camping trips, baby showers, and cabin remodels (seriously, Mel’s cabin alone should have taken at least three seasons in show time) in the space of five months? Not to mention healing from the shootings, druggings, stabbings, and brain injuries!

Ha! Time moves differently in VR! It didn’t even surprise anyone that Jack could knock up his occasional girlfriend and the new-to-town grieving widow in the span of 3 months either 😉. And Mel got that drive-thru fertility treatment on, like, a Friday afternoon and a REAL quick & effective paternity test too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2022 at 3:21 PM, sadie said:

The Vince - Paige storyline has to be the dumbest plot I’ve ever seen on tv. So he’s just obsessed with kidnapping her and keeping her against her will and she’s going along with it to protect the kid? Huh? So he’s going to keep her a prisoner on the run forever, until they’re 80 years old and die. And the kid was missing for weeks but Preach just kept working his day job, kinda sorta no really contacting the police because……..why? I like the Preacher character but HATE this dumb storyline. I don’t even know how they can fix it, it stretches credulity even for this dumb show.

the season wasn’t really that good and I watched at a glacial pace and I’ll probably keep watching for the locales and soapy content, but this season really was awful. I hope they can turn it around next season. 

It wasn't even the abusive ex-husband doing this- it's his also evil twin! Why would he care that much? Why wouldn't he just kill her to avenge his brother or whatever? 

• Like 2

I just started watching this show maybe a month or so ago and wanted to finish before commenting, but there is so much that is problematic, it was tough to get through from somewhere in season-3 to the end. (I haven't read all of the threads, so apologies if some has been covered already.)

- It's so predictable and has been from the beginning. So much of what happens feels expected and cliché.

- The dialogue is so written. Much of it doesn't sound natural and is just dull. Also, as has been mentioned, the constant "I love you"s are way too much.

- And then there's the way they often bury the episode cliff-hangers in the next episode, and then handle them somewhat dismissively. The device really doesn't work (for me) and diminishes the importance of what they were trying to portray as dramatic and meaningful.

-This may be nitpicky, but can the writers PLEASE learn when to use "I" and when to use "me"? The misuse happens so often and makes me crazy.- "So-and-so and I" when it should be "...and me" (Ex: "They're throwing a shower for Todd and I.") Or - "Me and so-and-so went to..." which is when "so-and-so and I" should be used. EASY METHOD: Take out the other person in the phrase to determine if it's "I" or "me": "They're throwing a shower for me."  "I went to... wherever." (Not actual dialogue - just examples.) I try to justify that the characters don't know the difference, but it happens so often across characters that it seems like a writers' issue. (This isn't the only show where it happens, either; it's a widespread problem.)

-Mel is part NAG, part Mary Sue, and part martyr. She talks in pamphlet blurbs way too often or else what is supposed to sound supportive but doesn't land that way. Also, the littlest things are too much for her to handle, but then she'll turn around and be so self-sacrificing, and of course whoever she's talking to must praise her. She's made out to be a saint, but she jumps to conclusions and judgments - and while she can admit when she's wrong, it's with a martyr-ish air. 

Jack has plenty of issues, but his behavior makes some sense given his trauma and PTSD from childhood onward. How he didn't have a stroke with all his stress and trying to handle everything himself, I don't know (an effect, ultimately, of his parents ignoring his brother's death). I wanted to smack Mel for nagging him constantly about basically everything, acting like she's the only one who is right and the only one whose feelings matter despite professing worry for him. It's all about how it affects her. She claimed that her nagging distracted Mark before the accident, then went right on to nag Jack about the paternity test and on and on. Yes, he needed help and now he's getting some, but she was horrible to him. There are ways to say things that need to be said without nagging at every opportunity, and it's worse because it always seems only about her. She's gotten progressively worse, too, and now she's being a martyr again by resigning rather than simply helping to find another doctor - and of course Doc will talk her out of it, so she gets to be a double martyr to carry on so bravely. 

Kind of all over the place with that rant, but she drove me crazy. I yelled at the TV many times for her to shut up.

-Agree with others who question how anything gets done or anyone keeps a job when everyone is constantly leaving for some reason or other.

-I like Tim Matheson - have liked him since the 70s (yes, I'm old - in my teens then) and a show called The Quest with Kurt Russell. He does the best he can with what he's given, but sometimes it seems like it pains him to say his lines and to try to make them sound natural. (We know he can do great dialogue - per The West Wing.) Still, Doc is one of my favorite characters.

I like Hope, too. She is a handful, but I like her (and Annette O'Toole), and I like that Vernon loves her and accepts her as she is. He knows the softness under the exterior, doesn't deny how tough she can be, but he just loves her, period.

-I like Jo Ellen and Lydie. Connie has become nicer with helping Preacher. Muriel is OK - I'm glad they toned her down a little - and I think she's a genuinely caring person; she's lonely, though, and deserves a love interest of her own. Charmaine has been tough to take from the start - though I guess her guilt over lying could explain some of her behavior, along with fear of being alone and pregnant... except she did have a chance to clear it all when she got married, as others said. I liked the character the actress played on Orphan Black - not so here - and I hope that she will go now. No doubt she will be left alone and Mel and Jack will help her, thereby providing continuing complications.

-Brady and Brie are OK, but I hate the drug storylines entirely. Maybe it's realistic for a remote area like they're in, but I haven't liked any part of it. Of COURSE Brie's ex showed up. 

-This show's ability to carry on storylines when the character isn't there is something else. I read about Hope being away due to Ms. O'Toole being hampered by COVID restrictions, but the whole Paige story has been absurd. Preacher really deserves a better one. Maybe with Vince gone, Paige and Christopher will leave and Preacher and (I forget her name) can work things out, but he still needs more of a storyline than that.

-Lizzie-Ricky-Denny: Lizzie has calmed some and does seem to do well with a few of the characters, but she has been annoying with both guys. Ricky is a good guy; it seems like he either will be back soon for having dropped out of training (or getting injured) or he'll die offscreen, although... given their ability to carry on in someone's absence, it could take ages. Denny... don't quite know what to make of him. They've tried to make him appear sinister a few times (and good for Doc for speaking to him right away), but I hope it's just that he needed to be with family - illness or not. Doc is definitely going to need help caring for him, though, so either they've got to settle things with Cameron or get someone else in who really is qualified (as Lizzie is not, in helping Hope with actual therapy). 

-I did like the flashbacks with Mark. Mmm, Daniel Gillies. Mel had to move on at some point, but I wish he was in a present-day story instead. He would have been good as Brady, come to think of it. Or maybe they can have another twin - Mark's twin that no one has mentioned until they just-now thought of it! And then Mel can be torn and have lots of drama. (Kidding.)

-I thought they handled the effect of Lilly's passing well (agree with others about the non-portrayal of her illness), and I like that Hope continues to miss her. They also handled Mel's breakdown, over the anniversary of Mark's death, well too. Grief isn't neat and tidy.  

The scenery is amazing. I want to walk in those woods and live near that water and have those views.

Anyway - a long-winded rant, mostly (I won't get into timeframes and quick recoveries). The show being at the top of Netflix rankings surprises me, but with a break until the next season, I may still watch for a couple of the characters. TBD.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, justmehere said:

EASY METHOD: Take out the other person in the phrase to determine if it's "I" or "me": "They're throwing a shower for me."  "I went to... wherever."

Get out of my head!!!! I yell this at the tv all the time, and not just for this show! 

• Like 2
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:
14 hours ago, justmehere said:

EASY METHOD: Take out the other person in the phrase to determine if it's "I" or "me": "They're throwing a shower for me."  "I went to... wherever."

Get out of my head!!!! I yell this at the tv all the time, and not just for this show! 

Same! What makes this mistake SO aggravating is that the test is SO easy. I really think less of people who don't get this right. Second graders can figure it out. It's not some deep dark grammatical secret.

• Love 5
On 7/27/2022 at 8:03 PM, MichaelaRae said:

Seriously? I think Muriel is SUCH A CLICHE (and the actress has permanent HITG

On 7/28/2022 at 7:46 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I was really hoping they were going to chemtest him with Tara. That could have been an incredibly sweet, Hallmark-worthy storyline.

What do "HITG" and "chemtest" mean, please?

On 8/21/2022 at 10:04 AM, sharifa70 said:

And also not to mention they can afford and make Renaissance Faire costumes seemingly overnight that a professional theatre company would be jealous of.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Leeds said:

What do "HITG" and "chemtest" mean, please?

On 8/21/2022 at 1:04 PM, sharifa70 said:

HITG is short for Hey! It's That Guy. Someone who shows up everywhere, usually in a supporting role, and you recognize the face but don't necessarily know the name.

A chemist is a chemistry test—seeing if the actors have some rapport onscreen. This is very subjective, as one person can think there's lots of chemistry and someone else thinks they are duds.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

HITG is short for Hey! It's That Guy. Someone who shows up everywhere, usually in a supporting role, and you recognize the face but don't necessarily know the name.

A chemist is a chemistry test—seeing if the actors have some rapport onscreen. This is very subjective, as one person can think there's lots of chemistry and someone else thinks they are duds.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

• Like 1

I was hoping they were going to try and pair the new doctor with Tara since they are clearly never going to have Mel knowingly cheat on Jack and that crush was clearly never going to be reciprocated. Mel verges on serious Mary Sue (think annoyingly perfect) territory at times. She didn't even look tempted like they did with Pam and the camera guy on season 9 of the Office.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 8/29/2022 at 4:14 PM, methodwriter85 said:

ever going to have Mel knowingly cheat on Jack and that crush was clearly never going to be reciprocated.

Mel apparently only is into guys who need "fixing."   Jack clearly needs fixing badly.   I was thinking the new doc must not, but then again he has a thing for Mel so something is clearly wrong there too.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Mel apparently only is into guys who need "fixing."   Jack clearly needs fixing badly.   I was thinking the new doc must not, but then again he has a thing for Mel so something is clearly wrong there too.

I'm honestly surprised that there haven't been more guys in Virgin River who have fallen madly in love with Mel because this is usually the type of the show where EVERYBODY is in love with the lead. I guess seeing Mel's perfect husband in flashbacks was enough to show how wildly desirable Mel is.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm honestly surprised that there haven't been more guys in Virgin River who have fallen madly in love with Mel because this is usually the type of the show where EVERYBODY is in love with the lead.

Well, she's pretty much universally loved and revered by everyone, men and women alike.  Well, except maybe Charmaine.  St. Mel of Virgin River.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

There aren't that many people Mel's age in Virgin River. Before Jack's sister arrived, her women friends were all quite a bit older than she is. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. But it speaks to how the show stacks the deck in Mel's favor so she never has any rivals.

38 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

There aren't that many people Mel's age in Virgin River. Before Jack's sister arrived, her women friends were all quite a bit older than she is. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. But it speaks to how the show stacks the deck in Mel's favor so she never has any rivals.

I know this was season 3, but I still cannot get over how this show had Mel read Tara's eulogy for her own mother. Like, what? It makes it even more absurd because she would have known her mother for only a few months at best. Didn't Tara have other sisters that were adults? Why couldn't they read it? It's so ridiculous. Why would you have someone who barely knew the deceased read the main eulogy at a funeral? The hell? 

Speaking of sisters, I decided to re-watch the beginning and Jack mentioned having sisters (no brother but I can see him not mentioning him because he didn't survive to adulthood) and a ton of nieces/nephews. So there should be sisters aside from Brie, and with a decent amount of kids between them.

2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Well, she's pretty much universally loved and revered by everyone, men and women alike.  Well, except maybe Charmaine.  St. Mel of Virgin River.

Hope adopted her as a surrogate daughter to go along with Jack being her surrogate son. Hope seems to dictate the social scene of Virgin River, at least that first "month" or "two" of the show.

And they had a lot of trouble hiring a nurse or nurse practitioner because if the location and Doc’s personality. They needed Mel. 

I too thought Tara would be a natural fit for the new doctor. And I always thought Brie has the most chemistry with the cop. 

I would hope that they are finally through with Charmaine but knowing Mel and Jack they'll probably just feel sorry for her and continue to help her. Because they're saps. I can't get past the suspicion that somehow Mel and Jack are going to wind up with Charmaine's babies.

One great line in this episode, when the gals were trying to comfort Lydie, telling her to just call one of them whenever she feels lonely. Lydie says "Oh, you all have lives," and Hope goes "Muriel doesn't." LOL. 

• Like 1
On 8/14/2022 at 3:21 PM, sadie said:

The Vince - Paige storyline has to be the dumbest plot I’ve ever seen on tv. So he’s just obsessed with kidnapping her and keeping her against her will and she’s going along with it to protect the kid? Huh?

It makes zero sense. If he's avenging his dead twin brother who Paige killed in self defense, why didn't he just kill Paige right then and there? If he wants to force Paige and Preacher to go to jail, why didn't he threaten to kill his nephew unless they confessed to the authorities? 

(Just coming back to finishing this absolute slog of a season). I’ve barely started this episode but I am WHEEZING at the 2 days! 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 

Of all the measly, nearly nonexistent time passages, a whole 2 days is the one they’re going to mark! 😂 😂 😂 

I binged the whole series over the past week.

overall, it was good enough as something to watch that was entertaining enough, putting aside any belief in timetables.

apparently DNA kits are considered evil in Virgin River because it would have been very useful for Charmaine/Jack, Doc/Denny & Mel/Jack. 

I found myself getting more & more annoyed with Mel’s character as the seasons went on. So mopey, such a perma victim. Yes, she had a lot to deal with in the beginning (spouse death/baby death). But despite wanting peace she took on a guy who was dealing with serious PTSD, had a drinking problem, & was confrontational with the local drug leader.

even when she got what she MOST WANTED, her pregnancy, she couldn’t be happy. Still moping & sighing & woe is me. Speaking of, who pouts because their boyfriend of a few months doesn’t want to have a baby? When he’s expecting twins no less? And she had the gall to say her sister was moving too fast.

I didn’t understand when Paige went to Preacher why they couldn’t go to the police. Paige mistakenly thought she would be arrested but all Preacher had to do was explain Wes was found out as a bad cop & her abuse story would be believed. So tired of characters taking on kidnappers & drug dealers alone, without telling anyone where they are going.

I’ll watch the next season but I’m not really interested in the drugs & Brady story, or Joey & the rapist. 

• Like 3
On 3/4/2023 at 3:04 AM, MrsJumbo3 said:

even when she got what she MOST WANTED, her pregnancy, she couldn’t be happy. Still moping & sighing & woe is me. Speaking of, who pouts because their boyfriend of a few months doesn’t want to have a baby? When he’s expecting twins no less? And she had the gall to say her sister was moving too fast.

It's a headscratcher to me why there would even be any drama about the baby daddy when the other possible one is dead. 

And then they pulled out that this entire show has taken place over 5 months? Are you fucking kidding me? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, throws a baby shower for a woman who is still in her 2nd trimester.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's a headscratcher to me why there would even be any drama about the baby daddy when the other possible one is dead. 

She was artificially inseminated with her dead husband's sperm which they froze for some reason.