Type keyword(s) to search

Clerks III (2022)

• Start Topic

I don't understand the release for this movie, but I managed to see it anyway.  It's a Fathom Event originally scheduled for two nights last week, but then they started adding nights.  But don't go to the Fathom website to even see showtimes--it has all showings being at 7:00, but that's not right.  If you click on 7:00 on Saturday for this one theater I looked at, the Fandango page that comes up is actually for 2:15.  And the 2:15 is right.  Grrrr.

Anyway, if you're a Clerks fan and you're determined enough to figure out when it's showing, you should definitely see it.  I'll just say that I didn't expect to cry. 

Also, there's a behind-the-scenes thing at the end, where various people talk about the movie.  It's after the credits, and after the MPAA thing, and only because I always wait until the bitter end did I get to see it--the other three people in the theater had already left. 

There was a weird schedule for this movie in my town too and I can only assume that is because Kevin Smith and traditional cinematic distribution models do not get along. In any case, I did get to see it in the theatre.

As with Red State and Tusk, I am not sure how I feel about it. I think the important thing to know going in is that it is not a comedy. It is a movie with comedy in it but it absolutely is not a comedy.

Having said that, I think Smith got some powerhouse performances out of his actors and gave them a real opportunity to shine. But there's also a fair amount of things about the movie that do not work at all and if you are not a Kevin Smith fan there would be so much of the movie that will just be weird nonsense.

All in all, I think my favorite bit was when Randall was explaining the plot of The Mandalorian to the doctor, who is played by Amy Sedaris... who has appeared in The Mandalorian several times. Some of the random cameos were awesome too. Danny Trejo? You can't go wrong with random Danny Trejo.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/7/2022 at 11:42 PM, dwmarch said:

and if you are not a Kevin Smith fan there would be so much of the movie that will just be weird nonsense.

All in all, I think my favorite bit was when Randall was explaining the plot of The Mandalorian to the doctor, who is played by Amy Sedaris... who has appeared in The Mandalorian several times.

I'm a big Kevin Smith fan and know approximately zero about Star Wars, which I think is an unusual combination.  So I didn't understand this Mandalorian thing at all, but still loved it. 

But I like the people Smith has in his movies and on his shows.  I have a soft spot for Jason Mewes.  And Comic Book Men was appointment TV for me, even though I know even less about superheroes and comic books than I do about Star Wars.  So I like his movies even when a lot of it goes flying over my head.

For those who still want to see it, it appears to be coming to theaters this Friday in a more typical release pattern, which is annoying because I drove a long way to see it a couple of weeks ago. 

This website usually does a decent job of listing showings, although it's only Tuesday and I assume more theaters will be added tomorrow and the next day, as they publish their schedules.

https://www.tributemovies.com/showtimes/Clerks-III/163284/

I might go see it again, because then I can watch the credits; there's a voiceover by Smith and I was listening to that instead of reading the credits, and they looked interesting.  Plus I can concentrate better on some of the cameos, like Jason Mewes's girlfriend and daughter, and Smith's mother.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1012888/all-the-clerks-iii-cameos-ranked/

I wonder if they'll show the "making of" featurette after the credits, since these showings won't be a Fathom event.  Stay until the lights in the theater come up, just in case.

I saw it again, and liked it even more the second time.

There's a scene where they're shooting Jay and Silent Bob dancing in front of the store, and it's such a joyful dance.  Damn, I love that guy.

I'd forgotten that Randal goes to Jay and Silent Bob to ask them for a favor and mentions Dante and Jay says, "Who's Dante?"  LOL.  And Randal says, "The guy who works at Quick Stop who isn't me."  Jay: "I thought his name was Sergio."  The movie isn't a comedy, as @dwmarch noted, but it has some hilarious moments.

The voiceover by Smith is played near the end of the credits, but the "making of" featurette that was after the credits when it was a Fathom event was not.

• Love 1

Man, I wished someone warned me about the movie. I was prepared for a funny, fan service movie with lots of in jokes. I was not prepared to ball my eyes out. 

Very good movie, definitely top 5 for View Askew, maybe even Top 3.

• Like 1