Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: The Ice Up

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

Sad to see Adam tap out.

But, when you know you're done, you're done.

He's got nothing to be ashamed of.

What was Juan saying something like if you eat a little, it makes you hungrier so he's not going to eat anything?  Huh?

Kerrie is a loveable kook.

Tai is very sweet.  Both would make good winners.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I was sorry to see Adam go as he was my favorite and I thought he had a good chance of winning until tonight.  I can't fault his decision though.  He knew he'd pushed himself far enough and left with grace.  The grouse showing up to bid him adieu was sort of ironic.

Juan Pablo thinks he's going to be able to fast for 20 days?  Not a chance.  He's already compromised.

I like Kerrie Ann better when I just hear her talking rather than see her.  The singing I can do without.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Someone help me. Who is the contestant - the fourth- that they didn't show tonight? I looked at the cast and didn't remember some of them being on the show much less tapping out.

Edited by Rebky
1 hour ago, Rebky said:

Someone help me. Who is the contestant - the fourth- that they didn't show tonight? I looked at the cast and didn't remember some of them being on the show much less tapping out.

They showed them all.

Adam

Kerrie Ann

Juan Pablo

Tai (I can't spell the rest😎)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Tai (I can't spell the rest😎)

Teimojin.

I like the setup for the spinoff they've been advertising:  everyone who lasts 50 days will share in the $500K.  For almost anyone - and certainly these folks - that's still a substantial amount of money.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 5

I think the severe weight loss affects them psychologically as much as it does physically. I don't know if anyone here remembers those "House" shows on PBS back in the early 2000s but on Pioneer House one guy lost so much weight at the beginning he convinced himself he was in severe danger and called the doctor. The doctor said he was actually in good shape, it's just that people today are not used to subsisting on the rudimentary diet of homesteaders in the 1800s. So Adam sees how skinny he is and it scares him. I don't know, I'm a little disappointed in him, I almost have more respect for the ones that get pulled against their will. Adam got scared and gave up. Maybe I'm extra disappointed because he was my favorite. But hey! They showed his shelter deconstruction.

There was a weird edit when Karie Lee was spinning her camera around to show the river. Something they didn't want us to see? Or just a time saver?

Can't believe Juan Pablo still isn't boiling his water. His stomach must be made out of cast iron.

So my bet right now is on Teimojin. Of the three left he is the only one who was featured in the first episode. Statistically, the winner is always featured in the first episode. Karie Lee and Juan Pablo were not shown until episode two.

Karie Lee seems the least affected so far, emotionally and physically. Maybe she's just too crazy to realize how bad she's doing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Karie Lee seems the least affected so far, emotionally and physically. Maybe she's just too crazy to realize how bad she's doing.

She is quite idiosyncratic, isn't she?  Maybe it's her normal . . . dealing with crazy situations of her own making.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

There was a big drop in emotional strength and attitude from last episode to this one. It was sad to see Adam lose his confidence in the “game” so quickly from one week to the next. He was my favorite too and I was hoping he saw that grouse as the sacrificial grouse offering I saw it as, as a sign to keep on going. He had the opportunity to take that grouse and last another day or two before he might have gotten a bear, or other substantial food source. He tapped out mentally and that was it for him. That thick bramble he had to constantly fight through didn’t help either.

Kerri , that nutty noodle sure has taught herself the power of positive thinking, which if she can continue with that, will put her in the winners seat, since so much of this contest depends on mental strength. I once worked hard at training myself to be a positive thinker. It took seven years! Others I have talked to who have achieved the same, agreed that it took about seven years to achieve positive thinker status. Then life happens and chisels away at it and you have to start all over, forcing your mind to not fall into negative thoughts again. I have to work at that again one of these days, lol. 

I am sure her lifestyle of homesteader helps a lot in helping her retain that mind set because she is not enmeshed in regular society. I can see even with her, its slipping, and its become harder for her to have to do the extra mind work to keep her spirits up. If she can continue to get “food in her belly” on at least a semi regular basis, she will win.

Juan Paulo is slipping fast. I can hear it in his voice.

Tiemojin is starting to think about his girl “Gab” and missing her too much for comfort too. I hope he can overcome that. I think a big part of winning this is blocking out that tendency to fall into missing loved ones to the point it drives you nuts and totally shatters your stamina to go on. I wish they all would remember that it is natural to have that happen at some point and block and overcome it. Make it just another day, for how ever many days it takes to outlast the others by one day, knowing the loved ones are there and will still be there no matter how long, waiting for them on the other side rooting for them.

Edited by SassyCat
Just because
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So Adam sees how skinny he is and it scares him. I don't know, I'm a little disappointed in him, I almost have more respect for the ones that get pulled against their will.

Did you also think that Adam didn't look that skinny?  Honestly, he looked like how a lot of fitness guys look, or have as a goal.  Not the bodybuilders, but just the ones that want to be at a healthy body weight and all.  I'd like to know what his BMI was.  Anyway, I don't hold it against him that he tapped, but I didn't agree with his statement that there was no honor in being pulled for medical reasons.  I don't see how that's any worse than mentally giving up.  Which he did, because he could have eaten the grouse.

I like Juan Pablo, and I wish him luck, but I'm not so sure about his fasting strategy.  Tiemojin talking about his girlfriend seems like a bad sign, but it could be a red herring.  I'm amazed at how upbeat Kerri manages to stay, like several other women who have been on this show.  I admit I cringed when she said she was going to sing a song a friend of hers wrote for her, but it wasn't that bad.  Sounded like a New Age song, with the Aye-yai-yai parts.

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The doctor said he was actually in good shape, it's just that people today are not used to subsisting on the rudimentary diet of homesteaders in the 1800s. So Adam sees how skinny he is and it scares him. I don't know, I'm a little disappointed in him, I almost have more respect for the ones that get pulled against their will. Adam got scared and gave up. Maybe I'm extra disappointed because he was my favorite. But hey! They showed his shelter deconstruction.

I think most people are afraid of starvation. (probably rightly so). Juan Pablo has accepted that there is no food and that he will fast. Which means he is probably just lay on his bed all day and not tromp all over looking for food. At his point that is probably the best strategy.

ETA: I prefer someone like Adam tapping out rather than be carried out over Jesse who didn't do her check in so they would have to come and pull her on medical, but at least she doesn't have to say she tapped out

Can't believe Juan Pablo still isn't boiling his water. His stomach must be made out of cast iron.

The water from the flowing river is probably not that big of a risk. As long as you stay away from the still water beaver pond. I am sure he is not the first one that has not been boiling his water. I am sure water that people swim in in the Mediterranean or Caribbean is way more polluted especially if cruise ships are around.

My vote is Juan Pablo because he has accepted the fact that he just has to fast it out, or Karie Lee because she pretty much has only lived 50 days on berries and 2 squirrels so I think when it comes down to it she will fast it out. Plus she just seems content and goes with the flow. (She reminds me of a friend of mine that worked every single day while going through radiation and chemo for breast cancer. She just didn't think that she shouldn't.)  Tiemojin is still working too hard to still get food (honestly we laughed so hard at his bird trap). Because of his medical knowledge I don't think he will let himself go into full in starvation and will tap like Adam did. Anyways now it is 2/3 chance of a Canadian winning and if not then it is a woman so either way I get what I wanted,

To the question below, my answer is No, because I have been watching Tour de France  lol (I don't know why sometimes I make a quote and then can't type underneath it ??)

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Did you also think that Adam didn't look that skinny? 

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

We usually DVR and watch the program the next day.  That allows us to fast forward through commercials and Karie Lee's singing.  

Just checked the optional supplies list for each of the three remaining contestants.  Both Karie Lee and Teimojin took emergency rations.  Juan Pablo did not.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

That allows us to fast forward through commercials and Karie Lee's singing

I have to laugh that at the beginning of the season people were complaining that they didn't show all the contestants every time. Maybe they were just sheltering us from Kari Lee's singing. I would not be surprised if Kari Lee has used her rations all ready, she went a Looooooonng time just on berries,

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Just checked the optional supplies list for each of the three remaining contestants.  Both Karie Lee and Teimojin took emergency rations.  Juan Pablo did not.

I'm sure lots of contestants think of this, but if they could stay away from the rations early on, while the food is more plentiful, and save them for the down stretch, it seems like that could be a beneficial strategy.  Easier said than done though, I'm sure.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Sad that Adam tapped.  I thought he had the potential to win.  And I agree with @rmontro regarding no honor in being medically tapped.  I think there would be much more honor in that, basically you tried until you literally couldn't go any longer.

Tiemojin is my next pick to win.  I think the girlfriend talk is just subterfuge.  

I think Juan Pablo is nuts for fasting.  I don't see how he can survive long enough.  Everyone else is getting some kind of food.  Do they not set traps/snares immediately?  I don't understand why they don't.

Kerrie Lee plays to the cameras a lot.  How many songs has she sung?  She just too weird for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/22/2022 at 8:16 PM, Blackie said:

I think most people are afraid of starvation. (probably rightly so). Juan Pablo has accepted that there is no food and that he will fast. Which means he is probably just lay on his bed all day and not tromp all over looking for food. At his point that is probably the best strategy.

My vote is Juan Pablo because he has accepted the fact that he just has to fast it out, or Karie Lee because she pretty much has only lived 50 days on berries and 2 squirrels so I think when it comes down to it she will fast it out. Plus she just seems content and goes with the flow. (She reminds me of a friend of mine that worked every single day while going through radiation and chemo for breast cancer. She just didn't think that she shouldn't.)  Tiemojin is still working too hard to still get food (honestly we laughed so hard at his bird trap). Because of his medical knowledge I don't think he will let himself go into full in starvation and will tap like Adam did. Anyways now it is 2/3 chance of a Canadian winning and if not then it is a woman so either way I get what I wanted,

I've been thinking all the same things so I'm with you on all of this.  Juan Pablo has his strategy down.  A lot of the winners on this show have done exactly the same thing, they just didn't share their thought process on it like he did.  So from here on between him and Kari Lee it comes down to who can last the longest without getting pulled.  I expect that Juan Pablo will hunker down and not expend much energy.  I'm not sure Kari Lee has the presence of mind to do that, so we'll see which one goes first.

I also agree with you about Tiemojin.  I don't see him as crazy enough to allow himself to do such potential damage to his body.  Unless he just happens to lose weight more slowly and is able to find more food he will tap before the other two.  I saw the winning attitude in both Juan Pablo and Kari Lee from the start.  You have to be a certain kind of mofo wacko to stick it out past a certain point.  Be willing to risk it all for the prize.  Plus your body has to let you or else you get pulled early like some do.  I think it's been established that both of these people have what it takes physically to stick it out as long as their bodies will let them.  I think Juan Pablo has the edge being younger than Kari Lee.  He might have more endurance.  But she may actually be able to eke out just enough food not to be pulled before him.  So we'll see.

It actually didn't surprise me that Adam tapped.  I liked him a lot but I didn't sense that raw hunger for the prize in him like I did with some of the others.  This was a very different situation than he was used to on the water.  He may have been better able to find enough food that way but this was starting to get too difficult and he was getting too tired.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

You have to be a certain kind of mofo wacko to stick it out past a certain point.  Be willing to risk it all for the prize.  Plus your body has to let you or else you get pulled early like some do

t actually didn't surprise me that Adam tapped.  I liked him a lot but I didn't sense that raw hunger for the prize in him like I did with some of the others. 

Adam and a lot of others like him that have serious skills know they can win if they is game/food actually available. But they haven't really crossed that line in their minds about what they will do if there is no food. Adam calculated that he would need to starve for at least 20 days to win, he couldn't justify it in his mind to start going down that road.  JP had that mindset right from the start. Kari Lee is definitely a wild card.

The last 2 seasons there was big game available so that was very different.

Also when Adam went on the walk about to look for bear sign, I was thinking he was so weak walking how is he going to haul a bear back to his camp and process it?  Maybe he realized that as well

I've been thinking all the same things so I'm with you on all of this. 

I think your are the only one lol!

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Adam and a lot of others like him that have serious skills know they can win if they is game/food actually available. But they haven't really crossed that line in their minds about what they will do if there is no food. Adam calculated that he would need to starve for at least 20 days to win, he couldn't justify it in his mind to start going down that road.  JP had that mindset right from the start. Kari Lee is definitely a wild card.

The last 2 seasons there was big game available so that was very different.

Also when Adam went on the walk about to look for bear sign, I was thinking he was so weak walking how is he going to haul a bear back to his camp and process it?  Maybe he realized that as well

I think your are the only one lol!

Adam's a smart guy.  Plus he's probably not that desperate to win or for the money.  Like so many others he had a "wait and see" attitude and figured he'd cross that bridge when he came to it.  When he got there and did the cost/benefit analysis he realized it wasn't worth it to him in the end.  He must have said to himself, "If THIS is what I have to go through to win from here forward, forget it, it's not worth it".  And we don't even know what long term physical effects some of these contestants might suffer with after doing the show.  I never see anything about that discussed anywhere, unless I've missed it.  Adam was talking like he didn't want to risk doing any long term harm to his body and I really can't blame him.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

All the hype around bears and they've not factored in one whit this season!

Adam made a point to say he has a very physical job, so if he didn't think he could win, he really couldn't afford to do damage to himself that would impact his ability to work when he got home. Understandable. Having said that, he was trying really hard to show us how skinny he was and convince us that last little layer was loose skin. : D

Juan Pablo is smart to fast versus eating negligible calories. The body does eventually stop screaming at you during a total fast. I think it would be smart if contestants just committed to saving their rations until the end game, no matter what. 

Saw that there is another spin off: .Alone: The Skills Challenge (History, Aug. 4 at 10:30, then Thursdays at 10). “three former participants from ‘Alone’ competing in survival build challenges devised by another former participant. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

competing in survival build challenges devised by another former participant. 

I hope someone challenges Jesse to build a proper survival shelter 😆

• LOL 6
(edited)

Wow, they're really hitting us with Alone this year?

Looks like a couple cast members from  Frozen will be on the Skills Challenge.

Edited by madmax