Type keyword(s) to search

[BUG, FIXED] White Box on Mobile

Noticed this on my phone this past week-The images with the site name and bars have “disappeared” and there’s just blank spaces. Only on my phone. Thought it was an issue with my phone, but I just got a new one yesterday and still happening. No issues on PC. Image below.

Safari/iPhone/iOS 15.5

0211ED2A-9820-42D1-B7EB-D5F4BAC65E13.jpeg

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

There's a white box constantly at the top of the page. It appears to be possibly an iphone only issue.  I'm using chrome.

36E79963-5940-42CD-B3F8-CD313F711AE1.thu

I submitted a post about this as well. And that it happened suddenly on my iPhone and I’m using Safari.

(edited)

This came up in either Chit Chat or Pet Peeves, one of those Everything Else threads; several people said they were either currently experiencing it or had seen it in the past.  Sorry I don't have any additional information, and I've never seen it (and if it is an iPhone issue, I never will; I view the site on my computer, not a phone), but wanted to note others have reported this, just not here.  I'll see if I can find those posts and invite them to chime in here with their specs.

Update:  Found it, and asked those affected to come here and chime in with their info to help figure out who this is happening to.  I'm including the link to my post because it quotes the statements of those who are seeing/have seen it, in case you need to follow up directly.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1

I just updated to iOS 15.6 but nothing changed.

That square that was appearing at the top of the forum pages on iPhones in both Safari and Chrome may be getting worse, and this happened prior to my updating to 15.6.

1. If you happen to touch any part of the square (for example, while attempting to scroll up), you are taken out of the forums and to the PrimeTimer home page.

2. If you turn your phone horizontally, the square and an area equal to its height fill most of the screen, blocking such functionality as bullets and being able to see video clips. 
It looks like this:

https://scholar.google.com/schhp?inst=6713240851559478636

image.png.8c9b86c335b5fcda246d1ad5c6780c80.png

@AllAstronauts,
There's no "inspect" feature on the iPhone browsers,
and
shrinking the tab on my laptop does not recreate what is seen in our iPhone screenshots.
But the source codes are the same on the iPhone and my Windows laptop, at least with regards to the 15 linked CSS files.

FWIW, the issue might be in [AA REMOVED THIS BECUASE IT WAS BREAKING THINGS], which has something like 271 height styles. 
It displays as a massive block of code text, so I tried pasting the code in DreamWeaver and then doing a Find for }. and replacing it with the right curly bracket followed by a period/dot plus a Shift+Enter, and then doing a Find for just } and again replacing with the curly bracket and a new line, but it's still pretty daunting to look at. 

🤷‍♀️

• Useful 1
On 7/18/2022 at 2:29 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Do we have any more info on this? It’s super irritating lol.

It is. Especially since it toggles back and forth! Sometimes, everything is back to normal and I'm all "yay!" then when I refresh, it's back to the white boxes and and disappearing bars on the notification box and the box above that.

This has been happening to me on and off.  It comes and goes.  It'll be gone for a while but will come back and stay for awhile until or unless I do a full on history refresh.  But it only disappears for awhile to reapear again.

By accident, though, I changed my theme.  Up until this time my theme has been the 'Lighted Default' theme.  I changed to the 'IPS default' theme for a day and the box never once showed up.  I tried a different theme, again for a whole day and still no box.  So now I am trying the 'Dark' theme... so far so good.  It has been about three hours without the box.

• Useful 1

The blank box is a missing primetimer logo that links to the main site, that's all. 

Now why iPhone is displaying the missing image as a large weird empty box? :shrug:

Granted, it not being a simple missing image but a large linked box would be annoying. Especially with a sticky header keeping said-box planted on half the mobile view.

As for why it was missing, the AWS hosting this all runs on was slightly borked a few days ago, albeit briefly - that might have something to do with it? FWIW android chrome is fine for me. Also the old Lighted theme hasn't been touched in ages now so that too points to just the file links being out-of-whack.

If you have the capability to dump stored files on your mobile browser ( I think we all did this during the Great "Oh Please Make These Redirect Ads Stop" War of two weeks ago), do so.

If this is still a thing continue to yell and I can poke a bear if I have to (really its just push a button) but lets see if this is still crap for everyone first.

(edited)
10 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

If you have the capability to dump stored files on your mobile browser

I cleared the cache and data for Safari on my iPhone to no avail.

Switching the Theme to IPS Default makes the giant hyperlinked square go away, but I thought we weren’t supposed to use the Default theme because it was “going away” from public view because it is the beta mode used for testing?

But since the IPS Default Theme gets rid of the hotlinked square that covers ⅔ of an iPhone screen held in landscape position, would you recommend we select the IPS Default Theme for now?

And, if the IPS Default theme disappears from the public options, I'm guessing anyone who has it selected will just start seeing a different theme.
Right?

Edited by shapeshifter
20 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

If you have the capability to dump stored files on your mobile browser

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I cleared the cache and data for Safari on my iPhone to no avail.

I did that with my old phone, and I also thought I was having this issue because of other, unrelated issues with my iPhone, as I stated in my initial comment when I created this topic. I got a replacement phone (same model) and still experiencing the white boxes and disappearing/reappearing images/bars in the two small boxes on the upper right (the top that looks like a message bubble, and the bottom with the bars that you click to see your notifications).

Updated my phone to iOs 15.6/Safari/iPhone 13 Pro.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I have an iPhone, recently upgraded to the latest OS, and I pulled up the site in Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge (default theme in all).  I'm not seeing the white box anywhere.  I think Safari has some kind of ad blocker option but I'm sure none of the other browsers do. 

Not sure what that all means.

Did not see anything ad related (didn't look too hard either tbh...) but I did press that button I threatened to press earlier a few minutes after my earlier post. That may have helped. Time will tell, etc...

• Applause 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

I did press that button I threatened to press earlier a few minutes after my earlier post. That may have helped.

Hurray!

I switched the Theme back from IPS Default to Lighted and the box is gone on my iPhone on Safari and Chrome!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

Did not see anything ad related (didn't look too hard either tbh...) but I did press that button I threatened to press earlier a few minutes after my earlier post. That may have helped. Time will tell, etc...

Whatever you did, it seems to have done the trick. I noticed the white boxes were gone last night, but wanted to wait until today to make sure they were gone. So far so good!

• Like 1