Type keyword(s) to search

Motive - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Oh dear. I see now elsewhere that it's not airing until May 24.

I'll edit this thread, but the thread title will then lose the date info.

Feel free to ask the mod to delete it and make a new one, or, since so few of us post, we can leave it as is.

Thanks for the heads up, Trey!

Edited by shapeshifter

I didn't find this one as confusing as some of their other episodes.   I  didn't understand  how Ken (the main victim) found out who robbed him and then went and killed them.  I also couldn't figure out at first who the person in the hospital was - I thought at first it was our perp, Charlie;   it wasn't; but he was the person who led the cops to Charlie.

The show did mislead us - they made it look like Charlie and Terry were a couple who were going to flee the country together but it turned out the two fake passports were for Terry and her daughter.  So, once again, the killer turns out to be the good guy in the whole story.  It was pretty good of Charlie to keep quiet until he knew Terry and her daughter were safely away, since Terry had betrayed him to the triad. 

I worry though about the people Charlie gave the money to - the widow and the mother of the other two victims/robbers - I am not sure George is going to rest until he finds out who has his money and gets it back.  Even if he is in jail for a while he still has minions.

I did love Vega staying with Angie after her house was broken into.  Only two episodes left.  They'll have to wrap up the Montgomery storyline pretty quickly.

I didn't find this one as confusing as some of their other episodes.

...I also couldn't figure out at first who the person in the hospital was - I thought at first it was our perp, Charlie;   it wasn't; but he was the person who led the cops to Charlie...

The main problem I had with this and other episodes is that all the white guys look alike. Same height, weight, hair color & length, age. At least the Asian guys in this episode looked different from each other, but I would have to rewatch to sort out the white guys.

...It was pretty good of Charlie to keep quiet until he knew Terry and her daughter were safely away, since Terry had betrayed him to the triad....

I think he told her to give his location to the Triad. They thought he was expecting her to show up, but he was armed and expecting them--just not armed enough. I also think Charlie knew his odds of survival were low, but that maybe he led Terry to believe he would be okay so she would go.

...I did love Vega staying with Angie after her house was broken into.  Only two episodes left...

Louis Ferreira is the lead in a new show. If they kill him off of this show, I may not keep watching, which is too bad, because the new show sounds like more action, which would mean even less dialogue for him.
(edited)

Louis Ferreira is the lead in a new show. If they kill him off of this show, I may not keep watching, which is too bad, because the new show sounds like more action, which would mean even less dialogue for him.

I hadn't heard that! That will be devastating to Motive.  Even if it does get a 4th season it just won't be the same.  Maybe they already knew it wasn't going to be renewed so he was free to go to another show.  Now I am really bummed.

And I haven't heard anything about ABC showing season 3, which is too bad, because I really loved hearing from our American posters.

ETA: I suppose if the new show is also 13 episodes per season , he really could do two shows.

ETA:

I think he told her to give his location to the Triad. They thought he was expecting her to show up, but he was armed and expecting them--just not armed enough. I also think Charlie knew his odds of survival were low, but that maybe he led Terry to believe he would be okay so she would go.

I think you are right.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

This used to be one of my favorite shows, but now that they have this separate storyline going on (which I missed last season), I am confused and am not really interested when they show this part on an episode.  I've lost interest now and rarely watch any episodes now.

• Love 1
(edited)

And, once again we have a sympathetic murderer and an unsympathetic victim.

Were they both insurance adjusters?

I guess it would have been impossible to prove that Rick noticed that cutting the branch would cause it to fall on the power line before he did it, and that he waited until the husband left the house to go to the pharmacy before he did it.

I wonder if Rick snuck into the neighbor's house and removed or dislodged the back up batteries in the wife's respirator?

Maybe the grieving husband could plea bargain based on a jury's likelihood to find him not guilty on the basis of temporary insanity--or is that not how it works in Canada?

Weird episode title.

I hope Betty decides not to date Vega and he and Angie go out, but I just really hope they don't kill him off.

ETA:

So last week Neville's daughter-in-law takes a bribe in the form of a cushy position (VP?), and this week Cross accepts one of those ridiculously expensive watches.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

The episode title is a Peter Frampton album title - the killer's last name was Frampton. Last season, their episode titles were mostly film noir titles.

I missed the first 15 minutes so it took a bit to catch up.  That victim really needed killing - what a bastard!

What a good thing Angie and Vega got there in time to save Frampton because his information helped them save Lisa who was a good person. 

I can understand Neville's dil taking a bribe but I am really shocked that Mark Cross took one.  I hope he took the bribe so he could get closer to Neville to nail him and the bad cop, Deputy Police Chief I think he is?  I would be very annoyed that they made me like Cross only to have him turn out to be a bad guy. Especially since I was just thinking that maybe he and Angie would make a good couple, since Vega is taking up with Betty.

Vega and Angie have such a great friendship; I had hoped that they would get together but now I wonder if they aren't best as just good friends.

Anyhow, I am really looking forward to the season finale.  I hope it gets renewed with Louis Ferreira.

• Love 2

Loved this episode!  So nice to finally see my favorite Hobbit again and he gets bonus points for having a to do list with 'Kill Rick' at the top!  Rick was such a douchebag, blackmailing people not to deny their insurance claims?  Killing Helen.  He got what he deserved.

Maybe the grieving husband could plea bargain based on a jury's likelihood to find him not guilty on the basis of temporary insanity--or is that not how it works in Canada?

Not sure, but that's not the point.  He doesn't want to live without Helen, and I doubt he'll change his mind.

Cross goes dirty... upsetting.

Angie's car? Wow, that was unexpected.

• Love 3

...Angie's car? Wow, that was unexpected.

Either the car bomber wasn't very good at his/her job, or it was supposed to be a warning for Angie to back off.

If it was supposed to be mirrored by Rick's threatening his clients, then it would be a warning--I guess.

...Cross goes dirty... upsetting...

I'm still hoping he's just pretending to be dirty.

• Love 2

Although… I just checked, YouTube only seems to have the first two seasons up. Doesn't really do me any good, I've seen those. I need Three, dammit!

I really enjoyed this episode, thought it made a very good season finale.  And I'm glad there will be another season.

I was really sorry that Maria was killed.  But I'm glad that she was really the one who brought Montgomery down - what a horrible man.  His lawyer deserted him and his son disowned him. 

And they brought down Halper(?), the crooked cop.  I was afraid that Mark Cross had gone bad too so I was relieved that he was working with the IA guy to investigate Halper.

I hope Oscar will be okay.  Maybe it will depend on the success of his new show.  But I sure hope he will be back - Motive won't be the same without him.  I think now I like him with Betty even better than with Angie.  Angie is a great partner and they have a really good relationship that way but I think he is better suited to Betty.  And Angie seems to be all for their relationship too. 

I liked the bowl of goldfish too:)

(edited)

So, I think I am missing something. If Maria is Neville's daughter, how was she in a relationship with his son?

That's what I was trying to figure out! She was engaged to her half brother?!

Yep. The brother was never her end game.

Please let Oscar survive!

I liked the goldfish.

I hope Oscar will be okay. Maybe it will depend on the success of his new show.

When he handed his glasses to Angie, I said, "Oh no," because it somehow seemed symbolic of his not surviving. But maybe the fish counteracts that?

Maybe he can just have a lot of off-screen recovery time while he does the new show?

ETA: Did I mention I adore Luis Ferreira?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Yep. The brother was never her end game.

When he handed his glasses to Angie, I said, "Oh no," because it somehow seemed symbolic of his not surviving. But maybe the fish counteracts that?

Maybe he can just have a lot of off-screen recovery time while he does the new show?

ETA: Did I mention I adore Luis Ferreira?

So then presumably they never had sex, which would seem weird for people in that world. Was that ever mentioned?  I don't recall it.  It feels like they glossed over this part.

I adore Luis and they make such great partners.  That kind of a match is tough to create

• Love 1

So then presumably they never had sex, which would seem weird for people in that world. Was that ever mentioned?  I don't recall it.  It feels like they glossed over this part.

I am still trying to wrap my head around that.  I'm pretty sure they did or it would have been specifically mentioned that they didn't.  So she was willing to have a physical relationship with her half brother to get to her father?  Ick....

(edited)

I am still trying to wrap my head around that.  I'm pretty sure they did or it would have been specifically mentioned that they didn't.  So she was willing to have a physical relationship with her half brother to get to her father?  Ick....

I think Maria called the shots in that relationship and told him nothing doing until they were married.  I hope that's how it went.  Not that it's real.

I remember an episode of Murdoch Mysteries that had a similar plot - woman is engaged to half brother to get to her father to avenge her mother.  Since that is set in Edwardian times the did they/didn't they question wasn't really so much of an issue.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

I searched Motive Season 3 on Youtube and episodes are there, just not part of the official Motive site.

Thanks for that!  I was able to find season 3 episode 1, plus additional eps, on YouTube.  Looking forward to watching more!

Glad it's back. Canadian niceness seems to carry over to crime shows too. So glad there's no torture on this show.

I adore the returning leads, but the new guy...why did they have to make him so annoying? IRL, leopards don't change their spots, so maybe they will just kill him off.

Angies's hair seems appropriate for detective work.

Enjoyed the Vega-Angie banter.

What kind of cancer does/did he have??

• Love 1

I have a casting question. Hubs recognized the actor who played the killer, but when I checked on IMDB and other sites, he was not listed.  Any viewers out there who would know?  Thanks.

Plus now I have to express how I feel about the murder. The victim was such an asshole, big time. And his brother grew up also in an abusive environment, but that should not lead to murder.   I lived this in my childhood as did many others who post here.  Murder is not the answer.  I know that is not the format of this show, but I was concerned that the portrayal crazily justified it.

• Love 2

I have a casting question. Hubs recognized the actor who played the killer, but when I checked on IMDB and other sites, he was not listed.  Any viewers out there who would know?  Thanks.

Is it Matthew Kevin Anderson? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5062234/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Plus now I have to express how I feel about the murder. The victim was such an asshole, big time. And his brother grew up also in an abusive environment, but that should not lead to murder.   I lived this in my childhood as did many others who post here.  Murder is not the answer.  I know that is not the format of this show, but I was concerned that the portrayal crazily justified it.

Yeah, it would have been more believeable if he had shot him in the act of beating his wife or kid. Alcoholism doesn't make you a killer either, but maybe they thought that would justify it? IDK. The interesting part was the use of sleight of hand in the killing. It seems like they just didn't come up with a good plot to go with that idea.

Is it Matthew Kevin Anderson? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5062234/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Yeah, it would have been more believeable if he had shot him in the act of beating his wife or kid. Alcoholism doesn't make you a killer either, but maybe they thought that would justify it? IDK. The interesting part was the use of sleight of hand in the killing. It seems like they just didn't come up with a good plot to go with that idea.

Thanks, shapeshifter; that is the actor who played the victim.  Not sure why the killer is not listed on IMDB.  I think the character name was Murray Shultz.

Good point on the "magic" of the cover up; I just could not truly understand that the only solution bro had was murder.  I get what you are saying, re plot they were going for.  Thanks.

• Love 1

I have a casting question. Hubs recognized the actor who played the killer, but when I checked on IMDB and other sites, he was not listed.  Any viewers out there who would know?  Thanks.

The actor playing the killer is Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite).  

• Love 2

I love this show, so glad it's back and so sorry it is the final season.  I wonder why?  I'm assuming the actors want to move on since this is only 13 episodes each season but I could well be wrong.

I hope this new asshole Kanickie isn't going to take over the show.  I had finally come to like Mark, their previous staff sergeant, so I'm sorry he's gone.  But I do like Vega as the new staff sergeant and Angie's teasing him.  Loved the bagpipe band! Although apparently Vega did not. Also glad Vega is still with the ME.

I was surprised when the reveal came that the killer and victim were brothers - when we first meet victim/killer they seem to be totally unrelated.  I had victim pegged as a control freak/abuser as soon as he criticized the writing on the birthday cake.

This show is always so sad.  Yes  to above posts that murder is not the answer.

So glad this show is back, so unglad it's the last season.

I LOVED that huge surprise that the killer was the cop's brother. Did not see it coming. I also liked how the Killer/Victim opening was done. Noticed a lot of really cool cuts and fades to the next scene as well.

• Love 2

My favorite thing about this show continues to be the opening showing the killer and victim. I loved how this time it seemed like that wasn't the plan at first, since we opened on the dead homeless person. It was a fun little fake out.

• Love 3

USA Network has Season 2 episodes online and is showing Season 3, starting Friday at 10:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time. Hopefully they will keep it going and pick up the Season 4 episodes that are currently showing in Canada.

• Love 1

No Vega but we get lots of Kennecki - it should have been the other way around.

The strength of this show (besides Angie, Vega and Lucas) is the way it reveals the relationship of the killer and victim.  This time we went from seeing two women who appear to be strangers to finding out they were once husband and wife!

Once again, murder isn't the answer - I think what all the killers on this show have in common is selfishness - they see only their point of view and just don't care enough about anyone else to find a better solution to the problem.

• Love 2