Type keyword(s) to search

Motive - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

...Not much Vega this episode. Wonder if the actor has other stuff going on....

*sigh* There's never enough Louis Ferreira, IMO.

Kavan Smith looked better than ever. Cute exchange between his character (the husband of the killer) and Vega about how the wife thought every woman wanted to sleep with him, to which Vega replied with "do they?" Heh. I imagine Vega has had to fight off his share too. Anyway, good casting. It totally made the red herring jealousy angle believable.

I hope the two daughters could stay friends and commiserate about the evil mother who murdered the other mother, but I guess not likely.

Having the main door bang my desk would drive me bananas. Seems like planned torture to punish her for leaving.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I always knew that Rory Gilmore was a murderous bitch!

Heh. Or at least on the edge of going psycho.

Does anyone know what medical condition would allow Vega's double vision to clear after turning his head to the side briefly?

That was about as close to a happy ending as we've had on this show.  Real Mom and Dad reunited with long lost daughter.  Kidnapper (and crappy Dad) killed, as he (maybe) deserved and co-kidnapper wife going to face life in prison (probably).  The daughter seemed very happy to find her real mother - I think the father still frightened her but I'm sure she'll understand why he acted as he did.

The only down side is that Real Dad will also be in prison but I'll bet he thinks that's a cheap price to pay for finding his daughter.  If only he hadn't cut up the body - killing in anger is one thing, but dismembering a body and trying to hide it makes it something far worse.

Sounds like Cross is going to be doing more field work - that's okay with me.  Now they can have two teams of detectives going out detecting.  And Cross needs something to do on the show now that last season's storyline about the old case is wrapped up.

I believe we've lost the rookie who had a crush on Lucas.  Or is she still around and I just haven't noticed?

Loved seeing Vega at Angie's place at the end and love that they seem to be getting back to their former closeness.  I do wonder if it is Vega who Angie is seeing and they are just trying to mislead us for now so they can have a big reveal at the end of the season. 

• Love 3

Best episode in a long time.

...The only down side is that Real Dad will also be in prison but I'll bet he thinks that's a cheap price to pay for finding his daughter.  If only he hadn't cut up the body - killing in anger is one thing, but dismembering a body and trying to hide it makes it something far worse....

Definitely worse in the eyes of the law, but for once I actually got it. For one thing, he knew how to use those tools (rather than some white collar dude buying them just for a one-time body disposal), and for another, he had all those years of anger, frustration, grief, etc. piling up inside of him, and then he discovers that the guy who is responsible is a total butt hole.

I think cutting him up could be also considered a "crime of passion" rather than "premeditated."

...Sounds like Cross is going to be doing more field work - that's okay with me.  Now they can have two teams of detectives going out detecting.  And Cross needs something to do on the show now that last season's storyline about the old case is wrapped up....

I thought it meant he was leaving the show since they talked about him "transferring." No?

...I believe we've lost the rookie who had a crush on Lucas.  Or is she still around and I just haven't noticed?...

Again, I'm not totally sure, but I think in the previous episode they said she was somewhere else now. But that might have just been my brain fanwanking a line I didn't really hear.

...Loved seeing Vega at Angie's place at the end and love that they seem to be getting back to their former closeness.  I do wonder if it is Vega who Angie is seeing and they are just trying to mislead us for now so they can have a big reveal at the end of the season.

I would *love* that. Louis Ferreira is one of my pretend boyfriends, and Kristin Lehman is totally worthy in my eyes to be his fake girlfriend.
  • Love 1

I do not like coincidences for a show that pays attention to details. What are the chances that the daughter also likes to go to the planetarium just as when she was younger? What teenager really likes to go to the planetarium? As well, she sits close to the seat that she used to sit?

How stupid are the kidnapping parents to stay in the same city that they kidnapped their "daughter"? As well, for family whose father is just recently becoming a full-time employee and whose mother is a homemaker, their house is insanely good (and expensive). If we consider that it is supposedly Vancouver, it even makes less sense.

I do not like this Montgomery story arc. I like the show for its episodic nature, where all cases start and end in one episode. That is why we have the killer and victim at the beginning.

I do not like coincidences for a show that pays attention to details. What are the chances that the daughter also likes to go to the planetarium just as when she was younger? What teenager really likes to go to the planetarium? As well, she sits close to the seat that she used to sit?

How stupid are the kidnapping parents to stay in the same city that they kidnapped their "daughter"? As well, for family whose father is just recently becoming a full-time employee and whose mother is a homemaker, their house is insanely good (and expensive). If we consider that it is supposedly Vancouver, it even makes less sense.

I do not like this Montgomery story arc. I like the show for its episodic nature, where all cases start and end in one episode. That is why we have the killer and victim at the beginning.

I didn't mind the coincidences. The only part I had trouble with was that he had legally changed his name 5 or 6 times.

My problem with the Montgomery case is that I can't recall what it was about.

Dear Writers: This is not the only show I watch, and watching shows is not the only thing I do or think about.

• Love 3

Trey, on 30 Mar 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

...Sounds like Cross is going to be doing more field work - that's okay with me.  Now they can have two teams of detectives going out detecting.  And Cross needs something to do on the show now that last season's storyline about the old case is wrapped up....

I thought it meant he was leaving the show since they talked about him "transferring." No?

When the boss, Roger L. Cross, came in to talk to him, Cross (the character) mentioned the transfer but the boss said they didn't want to lose a good man so Cross said he wanted to be behind the desk less. And I am pretty sure the boss agreed to that.

• Love 1

Did this episode seem particularly confusing to everyone else too?  I had a hard time keeping the different men straight.  And the timeline - I thought the bad guy kidnapping the sweet but murderous florist was a flashback but it turned out it was current. 

Did Blair know his wife had poisoned Tony?  She should have given him just a bit more poison - she thought he would die at home and the robbery would never even take place but she miscalculated and it was only a split second between him dying and when he would have shot Blair.

Despite my confusion I enjoyed the episode.

• Love 1

Nope, not only you, this was the most confusing episode ever.  Was she in on the robbery?  Obviously, but that wasn't made clear from the flashbacks.  Was hubby in on the robbery?  No clue.  I was totally lost on this one.

• Love 4

I love this show, but had issues with this one.  Why couldn't the real father have killed the guy in self-defense and then called the cops?  Kidnap dad did enter his house unlawfully.  He could have then told the police that he came to his house to kill him because he learned that he'd kidnapped his daughter.  End of story. 

• Love 2

Nope, not only you, this was the most confusing episode ever.  Was she in on the robbery?  Obviously, but that wasn't made clear from the flashbacks.  Was hubby in on the robbery?  No clue.  I was totally lost on this one.

So it wasn't just me.

Maybe I'll rewatch. There was a cute Vega line near the beginning, but I can't recall it now.

...And the timeline - I thought the bad guy kidnapping the sweet but murderous florist was a flashback but it turned out it was current....

Current? Before the robbery, right?

Current? Before the robbery, right?

I thought it was after the robbery.  I don't know what his idea was since he still had to go to the morgue to get Tony's thumb to get into the storage locker but he had florist with him then (I'm sure she has a name) and she escaped from him when he was picking up the money and then the cops got him when he was running out. 

If that's not how or when it happened please let me know - I really did have a hard time following the timeline.

• Love 1

The kidnapping was after the robbery. When she brought the kidnapper to Lee's house to get the money that was hidden in the fridge, there was crime scene tape around the house.

• Love 2

The main story is a bit meh for me. No sympathy at all to to killer.

What I want to comment is the scene on the bridge. The truck driver said that it was around 03:00 yet the traffic on the bridge is still full and crowded.

As well, the Montgomery case is getting too tedious and it takes away the flow from the main case.

I had some sympathy for the killer - he was only fourteen and had been emotionally abused by a dipstick of a step-father. The victim was also a dipstick - certainly didn't deserve to be killed but i can see a 14 year old losing his temper and pushing him.

I am interested in the Montgomery case but I do agree that it interrupts the flow.

I am also missing the closeness between Vega and Angie; last season that was what made the show for me.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

If the step-dad had instead looked at the painted wall in the kid's room and said something like, "That's really well done!" maybe the scammed business lady would've been the one to push the talentless hack off the railing. That bird was bad. And I don't mean "good" bad.

• Love 2

I wonder what percentage of real life self defense "manslaughters" become murders because of cover up, because on the TV shows I watch, it is way more than 50%.

Is Vega going to have a fling with the ME?

Right when Angie seems to be hinting she wants more?

I guess that the MOTW was supposed to be a parallel.

• Love 1
Is Vega going to have a fling with the ME?

Right when Angie seems to be hinting she wants more?

I guess that the MOTW was supposed to be a parallel.

At the beginning of the season I thought Cross was going to have an affair with the ME, now it looks like Vega is going to have an affair with her.  Or is the interest more on her side than his?

I don't believe Angie has a romantic interest in Vega - at least I don't think we've been shown that - but I believe she feels left out when there is obviously a problem with Vega but he won't tell her what it is.  I remember, in the season opener, she asked him how he felt about her coming back and he said it wouldn't be like before - they almost seemed like a couple last season and now they are far apart.

So I guess the idea I posted a few episodes ago, that Vega was her unknown boyfriend, was way off the mark.

I wonder what percentage of real life self defense "manslaughters" become murders because of cover up, because on the TV shows I watch, it is way more than 50%.

It's almost an epidemic, isn't it?:)

I thought at first that the killer was a terrible person but he wasn't all that bad - not wonderful certainly, but I believe he really did love his fiancee.  Having a crazy person stalking you could drive you over the edge.  And, once again, a simple self defense accidental killing becomes murder because he tried to cover it up.

I wonder how the Montgomery case is going to play out now that they are on to Angie being the one stirring things up.  I hope Montgomery's son's fiancee gets away from there before they realize she's the one who alerted Angie to the hired killing.

...I thought at first that the killer was a terrible person but he wasn't all that bad - not wonderful certainly, but I believe he really did love his fiancee.  Having a crazy person stalking you could drive you over the edge.  And, once again, a simple self defense accidental killing becomes murder because he tried to cover it up...

If he hadn't been so nice to the frightened person on the airplane, he wouldn't have had a psycho-stalker. It's not like he ever dated her. And if his fiancee had not been previously cheated on, the friend probably would have trusted him. I guess the real question is: Does the coverup indicate he really wasn't just a great guy until that moment?
  • Love 3

I thought they'd nail him on the excessive force of using a weapon, which, by heioght and weight difference was hardly necessary in order to defend himself. I WAS surprised to find that she had become a stalker, rather than an actual fling he was covering up, but the real girlfriend was so much more attractive that I couldn't convince myself that he would cheat on her with the chef.

I love the basics of the series, figuring out how "killer" and "victim" are connected, but I've never invested any effort into following the lives of the investigators, so the continuing case is throwing me off because I have no real interest in it.

And once again I felt sorry for the doer.

And 2 more scifi genre guest stars (C. Thomas Howell and Magda Apanowicz). Or were there more?

They better not be writing out Vega unless Louis Ferrira is going to show up on my screen in another venue.

Dry humor:

Cross: Let's not jump to conclusions.

Angie: Oh, but I'm so good at it.

Edited by shapeshifter

They made the killer look like a control freak but it turned out his sister really needed his strict care.  The victim was a victim of her own stupidity, getting Liz to give up her medications and then having no compassion at all when Liz went crazy.  Once again, a victim who didn't deserve to die but you can really sympathize with the killer.

Hell, no, they better not be writing Vega out!

I think Vega was really, really hurt when Angie left homicide and told him basically to butt out.  I don't know if this is payback now or if he just wants to deal with his problems on his own.  Perhaps when they find the correct diagnosis it will turn out to be something less serious than Graves.

The Montgomery storyline is getting more interesting; they are really attacking Angie now and that may lead to a slipup on their part.

• Love 1

They made the killer look like a control freak but it turned out his sister really needed his strict care.  The victim was a victim of her own stupidity, getting Liz to give up her medications and then having no compassion at all when Liz went crazy.  Once again, a victim who didn't deserve to die but you can really sympathize with the killer.

And what does she really think that Liz would get convicted of attempted murder? I mean I wish that she didn't die (weird considering the premise of the show) but I would have loved to see what would have happened if this got to trial- especially with the brother's testimony.

• Love 2

And what does she really think that Liz would get convicted of attempted murder? I mean I wish that she didn't die (weird considering the premise of the show) but I would have loved to see what would have happened if this got to trial- especially with the brother's testimony.

I can imagine if the brother hadn't strangled the fortune teller (which seems more likely anyway), and Liz did go to trial for attempted murder, that Liz would get off for temporary insanity because of not being medicated. Then Liz's brother would file a civil suit against the fortune teller for depriving Liz of her medication through coercion, and the fortune teller's attorney would successfully defend her with insanity because it would turn out she too was schizophrenic, just not as severely as Liz. The fortune teller would be court mandated to take her medication (IDK if that's a thing) and, though not dead, would be unable to read fortunes any more. In the final scene, the rich guy who was basing his investments on her advice would lose his shirt in the stock market--or not. Choose your own ending.
  • Love 3
The assistant to a successful but sleazy photographer is murdered; and later, all the detectives are questioned by an internal-affairs sergeant looking into Angie's connection with Neville Montgomery.

*According to TVDB it's on Saturday instead of Sunday. Check your local listings!

(edited)

I am very confused by all this Neville Montgomery business. Is the IA investigator going to drop it?

Near the beginning, in the morgue, did the ME call Vega "Honey" or something in a way that made Flynn do a double take? If I rewatch and hear it for sure, I'll edit this post.

After all the talk about the side effects of Sleazy Erik's pills, I thought the killer was going to have no memory of killing her friend.

I don't need to know the gory details of what happened to Erik, so I was fine with the way they left him.

When Angie blamed the killer for inciting the victim's sister to shoot Erik, was she also implying that the sister would have some sort of legal defense for her actions?

Edited by shapeshifter

I think Gavin, the IA investigator, didn't know that Montgomery and the deputy police chief (or whatever his title is) were good friends and he was taken aback.  It sounded like the investigation was over although I don't know if it was stated outright.

I missed the scene in the morgue but dh confirms that you are correct.  He added that ME then also called Angie by some endearment, I guess to sort of cover it up.

I wonder if Jian Ghomeshi watched this? 

Yet another case where you end up really feeling for the murderer.  What a rotten friend Nika turned out to be - putting a total stranger in the cab with her drunk friend - I suspect that rapist was watching them and took advantage of the opportunity.

• Love 4

Thanks for answering my questions, Trey!

...I wonder if Jian Ghomeshi watched this?...

Or if Erik was based in part on him?

...What a rotten friend Nika turned out to be - putting a total stranger in the cab with her drunk friend - I suspect that rapist was watching them and took advantage of the opportunity.

To be fair to Nika, wasn't she under the influence too, just not as drunk? Or was she making a point of staying sober in order to make good decisions? If the latter, yes, indeed, a rotten friend!

Or if Erik was based in part on him?

I'm pretty sure it was based on him.  But it wasn't until his his habit of drugging women and his use of force to have sex with them was revealed that I thought it was obvious.  And the way women who worked for him were willing to put up with that bullshit just to keep their jobs. 

I don't think Nika was nearly as drunk as the rape victim when she put her in the cab; plus, but it was her really bad attitude when her friend told her she'd been raped that got her killed.

It would help if I could remember the characters' names, or could even find them online somewhere.

(edited)

Well, I certainly had no problem disliking this perp! She was just bad from the get-go.  Certainly the lawyer - Charlie? - deserved what he got and I hope he's going to be charged with attempted murder as well.  And Osgoode was a jerk to her but he and the other doctor didn't deserve killing. Although I guess the perp couldn't really know they would both die - it was just a likely possibility.

Things are really heating up for Angie - I wonder who the person is who's been following her and then turned up at the police station.  I've been assuming he was someone from Montgomery's camp but they may surprise me.

I am still not totally sure the ME and Oscar have a thing going on.  He seemed a little cold to her in this episode.

Edited by Trey

I am still not totally sure the ME and Oscar have a thing going on.  He seemed a little cold to her in this episode.

Yes, he came across a bit douchey towards her and that made me sad because they are cute together.  

So, the Neville's daughter in law set up her fiance to take the fall with dear old dad, so she'd get VP of the company?  Is that what I got out of that scene with Victor Garber?

So, the Neville's daughter in law set up her fiance to take the fall with dear old dad, so she'd get VP of the company?  Is that what I got out of that scene with Victor Garber?

At first I didn't think she intentionally did that but then I realized that someone had to have put the evidence in his room so I guess it was her.  If she framed him, I don't know if was to get the promotion or just to cover herself.  I wonder if the promotion is genuine or just a trap Dad-in-law set for her.

Is there an episode next week?  Normally they do a preview but they didn't last night.

I wonder if the promotion is genuine or just a trap Dad-in-law set for her.

I wondered that too, but the closing shot of VG's face, after she left makes me think he was innocent.

Is there an episode next week

The writeup is showing this week's description, but that might change closer to the date.  

• Love 1

I assumed she put the USB trap thing on her fiance's computer because he had more access to the company than she did, and when he was "discovered" as the mole, she realized it was the best way to keep herself safe (because she probably assumed he wouldn't kill his own son, but probably wouldn't have any qualms about having her killed). I also think Montgomery knows it's her and is setting her up.

• Love 1

I catch the Halifax feed at 7 pm EDT and tonight, May 17th, they are showing a rerun of Calling the Shots, the second episode of this season.