Good Points Here.

I’m a hip teen. I know all the lingo.

swell.

keen.

bees knees.

neato.

golly gosh.

gat. heater. slap leather. grab iron.

I invented et cetera, the ampersand, the schwa, 11, and papyrus.

DEATHLY afraid of sending a unicorn or rainbow or eggplant or pineapple or teddy bear when I just want to indicate ‘valid point’ or ‘well said.’

plus GPH is easy to spell AND remember.

So don’t give me any more lip or I’ll sock you.

Okay then.  Just so you're not trying to make fetch happen.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m gobsmacked. What does fetch mean?

6 hours ago, Starchild said:

I thought it meant "Go Phuck HYourself"

I have had that said to me a few times. But enough about my mother in law.

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, Lalo Lives said:

I’m gobsmacked. What does fetch mean?

I'm guessing you didn't have (or weren't) a teen/preteen daughter in the early 2000's who was a fan of Mean Girls.

Gretchen, stop trying to make 'fetch' happen, it's NOT going to happen! Fetch is a slang term Gretchen Wieners often uses and tries to 'make it happen,' hoping it becomes a new it-word. The word's actual meaning is supposed to be 'nice', 'fresh', 'desirable,' or 'cool'.

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm guessing you didn't have (or weren't) a teen/preteen daughter in the early 2000's who was a fan of Mean Girls.

I had 30 year old SHOES in the early 2000’s.

7 hours ago, SimplexFish said:

Damn it LL...its gosh golly...not golly gosh! 

SYNTAX…Pfui

• LOL 3
17 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

10 minutes ago, Lalo Lives said:

I had 30 year old SHOES in the early 2000’s.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.  Or so I've heard :)

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Gretchen, stop trying to make 'fetch' happen, it's NOT going to happen! Fetch is a slang term Gretchen Wieners often uses and tries to 'make it happen,' hoping it becomes a new it-word. The word's actual meaning is supposed to be 'nice', 'fresh', 'desirable,' or 'cool'

Kind of like 'fetching,' e.g. "That dress is very fetching on you."

2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I gotta be honest, when the word FETCH was first introduced into this thread, I saw, in my mind, FELCH. It made me worried about the minds of the people on this thread. Then I realized my mistake and worried about MY mind.

(if you don’t know, don’t look it up)

it’s kind of like this one not so famous chess player. When one googles his name, things TOTALLY unrelated to chess show up.

(edited)
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

17 minutes ago, Lalo Lives said:

I gotta be honest, when the word FETCH was first introduced into this thread, I saw, in my mind, FELCH. It made me worried about the minds of the people on this thread. Then I realized my mistake and worried about MY mind. 

I guess it’s a very specific reference, familiar to fans of Mean Girls (and people who live with them) and pretty much nobody else. Nothing to do with “fetching” or the other thing we shouldn’t look up. But in my defense, I’d wager it’s more recognized than “GPH”. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess it’s a very specific reference, familiar to fans of Mean Girls (and people who live with them) and pretty much nobody else. Nothing to do with “fetching” or the other thing we shouldn’t look up. But in my defense, I’d wager it’s more recognized than “GPH”. 

Si. GPH is completely made up.

I thought the fetch meme was pretty universal out in the internet world. I knew it before I saw the movie (I was rather late to it...of its genre, it's a good one).

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Aren't all words "completely made up"? :)

Well, yes, that’s true.

I feel better now.

Shakespeare made up TONS of words and phrases.

And I thought the only thing we had in common was wearing tights when shopping at Walmart.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2022 at 2:11 AM, carrps said:

I thought the fetch meme was pretty universal out in the internet world. I knew it before I saw the movie (I was rather late to it...of its genre, it's a good one).

Apparently not. I know "fetch" as in what you tell a dog to do when you throw the ball (as well as "fetching" as in nice dress). So I was just baffled.

• Love 1
On 7/20/2022 at 7:07 AM, Starchild said:

A deteriorating relationship is a messy, complex thing. We can't reasonably make any snap judgements about how a couple's relationship may advance or retreat based on a single interaction. We saw them together only once. Howard gave the impression he wanted them to remain married. Cheryl didn't. 

But those are just impressions. That doesn't necessarily translate to hate. It doesn't mean they might never reconcile; he apparently still has hope, and he's proven himself to be relatively clear-sighted most of the time. In a show that proffers extremely well-constructed characters, I'm not prepared to say they went two-dimensional on Cheryl.

IMO, Gilligan would not show that snippet of their marriage if he did not want to. signal that Cheryl was done with the. marriage. There was also the scene with Howard at his shrink's office saying Cheryl  refused to discuss their problems. Rather than spending a lot of time on that marriage, he gave us two glimpses for us to draw the conclusion that Cheryl was emotionally divorced already.

• Like 1
On 7/30/2022 at 9:11 PM, carrps said:

15 minutes ago, wendyg said:

Apparently not. I know "fetch" as in what you tell a dog to do when you throw the ball (as well as "fetching" as in nice dress). So I was just baffled.

I was the one who made the "make fetch happen" reference originally on this thread (sorry about that!).  After the comments about who has or hasn't heard of it, I decided to search here on the forums for the phrase.  There were a lot of results (using the phrase with its Mean Girls meaning), across a lot of different shows.  I guess just the shows the cool kids (or mean girls?) watch.  But I promise I will quit trying to make "make fetch happen" happen, if Lalo will promise to give us the answer key if he makes up any more acronyms.

• LOL 2
30 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

IMO, Gilligan would not show that snippet of their marriage if he did not want to. signal that Cheryl was done with the. marriage. There was also the scene with Howard at his shrink's office saying Cheryl  refused to discuss their problems. Rather than spending a lot of time on that marriage, he gave us two glimpses for us to draw the conclusion that Cheryl was emotionally divorced already.

I definitely thought it was meant to be clear that she was done with the marriage--but that that didn't make her any less sincere about her anger about what happened.

• Love 2

This is REALLY late but was Kim cruel to Cheryl?    Kim knows the kind of people who are waiting in the shadows.   She KNOWS that they they are cold blood and efficient killers.    If Cheryl questions the lie and makes an issue of it Kim knows that Cheryl could end up in a hole right next to Howard.     So she makes Cheryl believe the lie.   Maybe it’s cruel….but it does save her life.   

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

This is REALLY late but was Kim cruel to Cheryl?    Kim knows the kind of people who are waiting in the shadows.   She KNOWS that they they are cold blood and efficient killers.    If Cheryl questions the lie and makes an issue of it Kim knows that Cheryl could end up in a hole right next to Howard.     So she makes Cheryl believe the lie.   Maybe it’s cruel….but it does save her life.   

I think there were a lot of steps between Cheryl questioning Howard being a drug addict and the cartel. Kim was worried about her uncovering her plot with Jimmy and their being involved with Howard's murder and maybe eventually the cartel rather than trying to save Cheryl's life. Howard had no connection to the cartel at all.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I think there were a lot of steps between Cheryl questioning Howard being a drug addict and the cartel. Kim was worried about her uncovering her plot with Jimmy and their being involved with Howard's murder and maybe eventually the cartel rather than trying to save Cheryl's life. Howard had no connection to the cartel at all.

There are not as many steps as you might think.   Once Cheryl questions Howard being a drug addict she starts to question the scam.   And why EXACTLY did Howard’s car spend half the night at Jimmy and Kim’s apartment the night he disappeared?    Oh by the way Howard might not have connection to the cartel but look at Jimmy….no wait Saul’s client list.  They are rather sketchy.      The lie only works if you don’t pick at it.  If Cheryl continued to ask questions it would only be a matter of time before she connected Jimmy and Kim to Lalo.    And that would be a big problem for Gus and Mike.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

There are not as many steps as you might think.   Once Cheryl questions Howard being a drug addict she starts to question the scam.   And why EXACTLY did Howard’s car spend half the night at Jimmy and Kim’s house the night he disappeared?    Oh by the way Howard might not have connection to the cartel but look at Jimmy….no wait Saul’s client list.  They are rather sketchy.      The lie only works of you don’t pick at it.  If Cheryl continued to ask questions it would only be a matter of time before she connected Jimmy and Kim to Lalo.    And that would be a big problem for Gus and Mike.

Didn't the public think that Lalo died in the attack on his compound? With Jimmy's only cartel client being dead, I don't think she would arrive at the conclusion that the cartel did anything to Howard. If she did, it would be seen as a wild stab in the dark, and I don't think the police would investigate it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was the one who made the "make fetch happen" reference originally on this thread (sorry about that!).  After the comments about who has or hasn't heard of it, I decided to search here on the forums for the phrase.  There were a lot of results (using the phrase with its Mean Girls meaning), across a lot of different shows.  I guess just the shows the cool kids (or mean girls?) watch.  But I promise I will quit trying to make "make fetch happen" happen, if Lalo will promise to give us the answer key if he makes up any more acronyms.

I’m all HYDROXED out when it comes to acronyms. One failure is enough.

Truth be told, if I start going full acronym my inner 12 year old will turn this into a non-PG Rated affair. Can’t help it, I’m immature.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:33 PM, sistermagpie said:

I was at an upscale deli and ordered a turkey sandwich with pesto sauce.  When I asked the server if she could add mustard, she said she could, but then I would not be able to taste the dill in the pesto sauce

First time I've heard of dill in pesto sauce!

3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

There are not as many steps as you might think.   Once Cheryl questions Howard being a drug addict she starts to question the scam.   And why EXACTLY did Howard’s car spend half the night at Jimmy and Kim’s apartment the night he disappeared?    Oh by the way Howard might not have connection to the cartel but look at Jimmy….no wait Saul’s client list.  They are rather sketchy.      The lie only works if you don’t pick at it.  If Cheryl continued to ask questions it would only be a matter of time before she connected Jimmy and Kim to Lalo.    And that would be a big problem for Gus and Mike.

Yes, that gets her Saul and Kim, where she already is pointed, and everyone they're involved with in this murder. But that's a given. It puts Jimmy and Kim in more trouble than Cheryl. If Saul's client list has sketchy people on it Cheryl's going to point to Jimmy as having responsiblity, not to start personally investigating his client list. She's not obsessed, she's indignant. That leads to different types of behavior.

The lie does absolutely only work if you don't pick at it. Jimmy and Kim are protecting their lie that protects them from being discovered as scammers who were covered up a murder, not altrustically protecting Cheryl.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 1