Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Fun and Games

• Start Topic

Look - I am not ready to say good-bye to Kim. I feel like I have a rock in the pit of my stomach.

But if this is the last we see of her, Rhea Seehorn went out giving a master class in acting.

• Like 1
  • Love 14

I feel odd about Kim’s exit because of that horrible lie she told Howard’s wife at the memorial. I guess she knew she had to stick the landing and then she could be done. 

I do how they did the time jump. No need to see Jimmy sulk and mourn Kim, their story was done when she left. 

Assuming this is the end of Gus and Mike? I know some might not like it, but I was riveted by Gus and his conversation with the waiter. I guess it’s because it was one of the few times we see him having a conversation with someone without it being transactional and he was trying to bring a sense of normalcy back into his life.  But he realized the last person he let in was shot in the head and promptly left. Also, interesting Don Eladio saw only hate in his eyes, but was arrogant enough to think him being the boss meant he could control him. 

And thank goodness the scene with Papa Varga ended with him alive. I was worried Mike would think he’d go to the police. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Wow. So after all that speculating about what happened to Kim, Vince surprised us with the simplest outcome: she just left.

It feels a little anticlimactic that after all that buildup of her becoming Lady Macbeth, her conscience finally caught up with her, making her realize that she and Jimmy were toxic together. It would have been more fun for her to corrode into Saul Goodman’s bitter mob wife and have them erode into a unhappily married couple. Still, great acting from Rhea. Her confession that she didn’t tell him about Lalo because she didn’t want Jimmy to pull the plug on the scheme…wow.

Days of Wine and Roses indeed.

And with that loss, Jimmy McGill is officially dead, and there is only Saul Goodman. Was not expecting the time skip, but I loved seeing Saul in his tacky mansion. And I knew that he had hookers over!

At least Nacho’s dad knows that Nacho’s dead. But he was right when he told off Mike: even when the Salamancas get what’s coming to them, it’s not justice. Not for Nacho, not for Howard, and not for any of the other victims that got sucked into Gus and the Salamancas warped orbit.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Love 19

I don't think Kim "broke good," but I do think she had her Walter White "I did it because I LIKED it" moment.

She realized what she did, why she did it, how much harm she'd caused, and now she's going to try to stop. We'll see if she can.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 11
12 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Eh, I wouldnl't consider that breaking good. That's more just stopping before you do any more bad.

Well, I was limited in my choice of vocabulary.  

1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

It feels a little cheap that after all that buildup of her becoming Lady Macbeth, her conscience finally caught up with her, making her realize that she and Jimmy were toxic together. It would have been more fun for her to corrode into Saul Goodman’s bitter mob wife and have them erode into a unhappily married couple.

And with that loss, Jimmy McGill is officially dead, and there is only Saul Goodman. Was not expecting the time skip, but I loved seeing Saul in his tacky mansion. And I knew that he had hookers over!

Indeed.  It all fits.  

• Love 2

Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt.   Which is where Kim Wexler finally calls it quits and because she does the one thing keeping Jimmy McGill from going full on Saul Goodman is gone.     The scene at HHM where Kim basically sticks the knife in Howard's wife's heart and TWISTS made me think she was breaking bad real hard but I think that was the final straw for her.    It broke her as much as it broke the wife.  Jimmy nudged Kim to the dark side by making "being bad fun" but Kim kept Jimmy from becoming the Saul Goodman we met on Breaking Bad and I think that is the perfect way to end her character or at until Saul becomes what is his name after he disappears to Cinabun land?   It would be a weirdly fun ending if they meet up again later.

A relaxed Gus Fring was fun to watch and having him  discuss wine with the waiter was a nice scene.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 11

Wow. That's the best episode yet this season! 

Kim & Slippin' Jimmy trying to smooth that over was so icky. 

Now we see Saul in full force and Fall of the House of Goodman unravel. 

Heartbreak for Mike, but he knew it wasn't really justice, just for him it was to ease his mind.

Gus at the wine bar desperately wanting to give a "talk to the hand" to the sommelier, who just. wouldn't. stop. talking. The pool and the talk with Don Eladio & Bolsa. The Twins...

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Gus at the wine bar desperately wanting to give a "talk to the hand" to the sommelier, who just. wouldn't. stop. talking. 

I thought that at first then realized that Gus liked it. It was another side of him we didn't know yet. And it fit.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

My impression was that Gus went to the bar specifically for the sommelier. He was going to invite him to try that special wine, but realized that would mean death to another person via Gus.

Indeed.  I think the sommelier put Gus into the friendzone.  

9 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

She realized what she did, why she did it, how much harm she'd caused, and now she's going to try to stop. We'll see if she can.

Will we see Kim again?  The show jumped to the day Saul meets Brandon.   

• Love 1

That was ... abrupt, but I think it worked. Kim's lie to Cheryl was gross and it felt like she fully grasped just how gross it was by the time she drove away from Jimmy in the same parking garage where we first saw them together all the way back at the beginning. She looked almost disturbed at how easily it came to her. For all practical purposes, they got away with Howard being murdered on their living room floor. Kim got away with nearly carrying out a hit on a drug kingpin. HHM is effectively dead, another casualty of their scamming. And yet the lies kept coming. There would never be a bottom until someone finally pulled the plug, and because she is indeed made of sterner stuff, she knew it had to be her.

I thought Gus was looking for a bit of normalcy now that the Lalo threat is gone. But he can't even savor that he effectively "won." 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, Andre LaPlume said:

How far did we jump?

I'm wondering that, too? Is there any way to tell? Any clues?

First off, loved Don Eladio doing his Hector-dinging-the-bell impression. Then Gus staring into the pool was a nice touch.

I'm not sure what happened at the bar. When that guy (manager? owner?) went to get the special bottle of wine, Gus sat there enjoying his glass, then he got an odd look on his face and decided to leave. I noticed the guy had described the wine as having a meaty, almost bloody taste. Was Gus making a connection to his having killed Lalo? Interestingly, Lalo's mouth was filled with blood in his death scene. I wonder if this was the first time Gus ever killed anyone with his own hands.

I'm glad there was closure (for us) re Nacho's dad.

Wow, that was tough with Cheryl. I mean, I was putting myself in Jimmy and Kim's place and wondering how hard that would be. I'm not saying I was sympathetic to them, just that I was trying to imagine what they were going thru. After Kim told Cheryl the lie about seeing Howard doing drugs, when she then put her hand on her shoulder and said that Cheryl knew Howard better than anyone and would have noticed, I was stunned. That was a low blow. I was reminded of when Howard said he felt responsible for Chuck's death, and Jimmy said that was his cross to bear. Both Jimmy and Kim pushed their own guilt onto someone innocent.

I did not expect Kim to quit being an attorney. (Do you resign from the bar? How does that work?) I thought there was the possibility that she would leave Jimmy, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon. EVERYTHING'S HAPPENING SO SOON!

And I was thrown by seeing Jimmy -- years later? -- in his big fancy house. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Gus at the wine bar desperately wanting to give a "talk to the hand" to the sommelier, who just. wouldn't. stop. talking. The pool and the talk with Don Eladio & Bolsa. The Twins...

11 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

I interpreted that scene totally different. ..

I did too. I thought Gus was interested in the sommelier, but even if he just wanted to chat with someone about a common interest, Gus realized it wouldn't go anywhere. It's one thing to bring a friend or a loved one over to your house. It's quite another when it's a mansion with more security than the White House, including cameras.

It makes you wonder what it's all for since Gus really has no way of enjoying life and he has to be on all the time.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Useful 3
  • Love 20
(edited)
3 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

Indeed.  I think the sommelier put Gus into the friendzone.  

Will we see Kim again?  The show jumped to the day Saul meets Brandon.   

I think we're now set up to see/hear about her in the Gene timeline. JMHO.

Edited by Penman61
  • Like 2
  • Love 7

I guess we should have known which way Kim would go based on Wine and Roses from first episode. In the movie one gets sober while the other keeps going down hill. Since we knew Jimmy becomes Saul, of course Kim would be the one to straighten out.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

This ep was so sad for so many people in such a heavy way. A lot of illusions shattered too. I remember whoever it was recently who said that Mike hated Walt because he had a sense of righteousness to him that reminded Mike of himself and it's true. Nacho's dad was right. Mike is a gangster who isn't above any of these guys and isn't capable of dispensing justice. He's just stuck there now.

Jimmy could have walked away like Kim, but I think he bought into what he'd heard all his life. Everyone thought Kim had a chance to be a normal person even if she was just as attracted to the same things. Chuck always saw Kim as having potential while Jimmy was born bad. Howard told her and Jimmy the same thing before he died, that Jimmy wasn't capable of anything better but she was. And while Kim told Jimmy that he wasn't bad for her, that they were bad for each other, I think Jimmy heard her just being nice and seeing what Chuck had always seen. So he embraced the bad. Didn't matter that it was Kim in the driver's seat having fun with Howard while Jimmy was just doing it for her, ignoring his own doubts.

Much like Gus, who's also trapped himself in a lonely life and has to go all in. BB is never going to play the same way again. In a weird way all these people have earned Walter White coming into their world and taking them all out. Yes, he's terrible too, but he's *alive* and embracing his awfulness by the end. They deserve him. I never saw Walt as a hero or somebody doing it for his family or whatever, but I never hated him either--I always appreciated his skill at getting out of things when pushed to the wall. Now I feel like there's something cleansing about him. He's like the acids he works with or something.

1 minute ago, gail56 said:

I guess we should have known which way Kim would go based on Wine and Roses from first episode. In the movie one gets sober while the other keeps going down hill. Since we knew Jimmy becomes Saul, of course Kim would be the one to straighten out.

Although we don't know what that will mean for her. That is, she might not be happy wherever she is. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Sharper2002 said:

And thank goodness the scene with Papa Varga ended with him alive. I was worried Mike would think he’d go to the police. 

Mike promised Nacho that his father would be safe and if someone was to harm him they would have to thru him. So Mr. Vargas was safe and Mike was showing him respect so he could have closure on his son

19 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Gus at the wine bar desperately wanting to give a "talk to the hand" to the sommelier, who just. wouldn't. stop. talking.

I didn't see it that way at all...

Edited by SimplexFish
  • Love 5

Kim has had that dark side since she was a child; I don't think she can put it away so easily, just like Jimmy couldn't get rid of "Slippin' Jimmy" no matter the cost. Everything that happened may scare her, but I'd be surprised if she leads a perfectly straight Giselle-free life going forward.

I got flirtation vibes from the Gus/sommelier interaction, and certainly Gus can't afford that kind of intimacy with anyone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 12
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt. 

Ah yes, the title. Was this phrase said by anyone during the ep?

19 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

My impression was that Gus went to the bar specifically for the sommelier. He was going to invite him to try that special wine, but realized that would mean death to another person via Gus.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded part. And are you saying you think Gus was interested in him romantically? I have to say, I thought Gus was looking at him flirtatiously. Maybe the sommelier was into him too. I don't know.

Thinking about this scene more after having read comments here, I'm embarrassed I missed what was going on.

14 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

The show jumped to the day Saul meets Brandon.   

Brandon?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 1

How was this only an hour, so much happened?

What was the song in the cold open? Shazam couldn't find it.

Gus with the waiter. That's the most animated, dare I say happy, I've ever seen Gus. The stories the guy was telling were boring as hell, so I can only assume Gus was smitten with him. Then he remembers Max, or perhaps just generally comes back to earth knowing he can never bring another partner into this world, it would only end badly. Poor lonely Gus.

I was horrified with the lie Kim told Cheryl. Yes she was jumping to Jimmy's defense after he abased himself trying to make Cheryl feel even a little better, but that just seemed like salt in the wound, and her effortlessness with it suggested she was OK with it.

Then, when she kissed Jimmy in the parking garage, I was appalled thinking is this turning her on too? Even this? But when she drove away alone, I thought it might have been a goodbye kiss.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the time jump. I don't feel I've seen enough to justify Jimmy becoming fully immersed in Saul Goodman. There's stuff missing still, like why did the sign get upgraded, then downgraded, how did he get Lady Liberty? There's still story there, not just cosmetic details but important character stuff for Jimmy-to-Saul. I have to trust they'll come back to it, but until that happens I feel there's a hole in Jimmy's character arc.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

The show jumped to the day Saul meets Brandon

2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Brandon?

Badger.

Saul thinks Badger has been arrested for public masturbation when Saul first meets Badger in jail.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
  • Love 8

My take on the Gus/sommelier (whose name is David) scene -- mutual interest and attraction; Gus swirling the wine reminded him of Max being shot and his blood swirling into the pool. He realized he would be putting another person he could potentially care about at risk and wouldn't allow either of them to go through that again. 

I thought they aged Stephen Bauer down quite well. And his imitation of Don Hector's bell was a much needed laugh. 

My initial reaction was that Kim escaped relatively unscathed, unlike anyone else in the universe. Then I rethought -- she had to walk away from the career and man she loved to save herself. Not exactly unscathed. . . 

Still trying to think through whether Kim is Saul's mystery call, if Gene is going to go find her, or if she is just gone from the world. Can Gene go back to Saul and Saul go back to Jimmy to get back to Kim . . . I just don't know. . .

Jimmy would have done anything for Kim.
Saul is a no half measures guy.  
Gene? We just don't know. 

• Like 3
  • Love 14
(edited)
6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded part. And are you saying you think Gus was interested in him romantically? I have to say, I thought Gus was looking at him flirtatiously. Maybe the sommelier was into him too. I don't know.

Brandon?

Sorry.  Badger, whose real name is Brandon Mayhew.  When Saul is talking to Francesca she tells him about a new client who has been charged with public masturbation.  When Saul meets Badger in jail he thinks Badger is that client.    

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I wonder if this was the first time Gus ever killed anyone with his own hands.

Anyone perhaps but anything? I'll spoiler code it because it's nasty.

Spoiler

There was some backstory about Gus involving his torture of a cute little creature called a Coati. But Gus grew up in Chile, where there are no coatis. This means that Gus Fring is the architect of the Chilean Coati Genocide.

I liked the scene with Mike and Nacho's dad. Mike has lost a son and does not want Mr. Varga to be left wondering. And Mike emphasizes justice because that is what worked for him but Mr. Varga knows that "justice" means another father losing a son or vice versa. Very well done.

2 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Then Gus realized where this could go, was disgusted with himself or his lack of choices, and left.

Gus also still has a bullet hole in his side and probably does not want to be asked any questions about it if things got a little more intimate.

16 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Don Eladio dismissed his accusations against Gus.

I feel like Eladio knows Gus had a hand in Lalo's disappearance but he let it go because:

• Hector didn't bring shit for proof other than his raging mad-on for Gus
  • Between Lalo disappearing himself (with the swapped dental records) and Gus being discreet, Lalo really is just gone
  • Eladio has no particular fondness for that smug prick Lalo and if Lalo wanted to fuck around and find out, so be it
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I'm not entirely satisfied with the time jump. I don't feel I've seen enough to justify Jimmy becoming fully immersed in Saul Goodman. There's stuff missing still, like why did the sign get upgraded, then downgraded, how did he get Lady Liberty? There's still story there, not just cosmetic details but important character stuff for Jimmy-to-Saul. I have to trust they'll come back to it, but until that happens I feel there's a hole in Jimmy's character arc.

I don't think Lady Liberty has ever needed an explanation. He doesn't have to have the same one the Kettlemans had. He just saw it and liked it so got one for himself. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

I thought that at first then realized that Gus liked it. It was another side of him we didn't know yet. And it fit.

I think it's what he thought he wanted at the time: to connect outside of "the business", but then it became too much. He couldn't be that person who could just walk away to take a vacation to wine country. Yes, there was some flirtation there, as much as Gus would allow.  

• Like 2
  • Love 11
25 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Still, great acting from Rhea. Her confession that she didn’t tell him about Lalo because she didn’t want Jimmy to pull the plug on the scheme…wow.

I think I'm probably going to end up reading this as the moment Saul was really thinking about when he tells Walt, "I caught my second wife screwing my stepdad, okay? It's a cruel world, Walt. Grow up." It was the final betrayal that severed his most important relationship and his overall faith in the world, when his wife went behind his back with an older male figure whom Saul regards with a mixture of resentment and grudging respect.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I wonder if this was the first time Gus ever killed anyone with his own hands

Gus was one of the two guys who attacked Arturo, put the plastic bag over Arturo's head, zip tied him, etc. Perhaps Gus really wanted to intimidate Nacho.

I guess Gus picked up a few skills growing up in Pinochet's in Chile

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

I liked the scene with Mike and Nacho's dad. Mike has lost a son and does not want Mr. Varga to be left wondering. And Mike emphasizes justice because that is what worked for him but Mr. Varga knows that "justice" means another father losing a son or vice versa. Very well done.

I agree. I especially like that Nacho's dad pointed out that justice didn't mean shit to him because his son was still dead. It was all Mike had to offer and what Mike had tried to make work for him. But perhaps Mike, like Kim (although different situations), took a step back and realized they were lying to themselves about their reasons.

• Like 3
  • Love 11
(edited)
3 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

I agree. I especially like that Nacho's dad pointed out that justice didn't mean shit to him because his son was still dead.

This was very satisfying, and also because he scoffed because he knew it was just "gangster justice," i.e., justifying naked revenge, dressing "justice" up to cover something much uglier.

I really like getting these outsider moral views because it's very clarifying. Mike is also the perfect person who needs to hear this, sadly.

Edited by Penman61
  • Like 4
  • Love 17

Gus was Smitten with the sommelier.   The way he was so relaxed and was damn near flirting with the guy.   But the life leads his dangerous and he knows he can't bring anyone he loves into it.  Remember what happened to his brother?  Love would be a weakness he couldn't afford in his plan for vengeance: against the Salamancas.  

• Like 8
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Mike is a gangster who isn't above any of these guys and isn't capable of dispensing justice. He's just stuck there now.

Kim told Jimmy that he wasn't bad for her, that they were bad for each other,

re: the first point above, I liked the shot during the conversation at the fence between Mike and Nacho's dad, where it was framed to look like Mike was in a cage.

re: the second point, I noticed over the seasons how they were bad for each other. When they would get into a scheme and one would pull back, have second thoughts, the other would push forward. A yin-yang of spiritual degradation.

23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It may be a reference to that old saying "it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye". Or much worse, in Howard's case.

18 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

Still trying to think through whether Kim is Saul's mystery call, if Gene is going to go find her, or if she is just gone from the world. Can Gene go back to Saul and Saul go back to Jimmy to get back to Kim . . . I just don't know. . .

Their fatal flaw as a couple is bringing out the worst in each other. Would that ever go away? Maybe it's better for them (and everyone around them) if they never get together again.

13 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

I feel like Eladio knows Gus had a hand in Lalo's disappearance but he let it go because:

• Hector didn't bring shit for proof other than his raging mad-on for Gus
  • Between Lalo disappearing himself (with the swapped dental records) and Gus being discreet, Lalo really is just gone
  • Eladio has no particular fondness for that smug prick Lalo and if Lalo wanted to fuck around and find out, so be it

Also, wasn't it Eladio who sent the guys after Jimmy in the desert, because they didn't really want Lalo to get out of jail? I expect Eladio is fine with how this all shook out. He would be relieved that Hector can't prove it, because then he'd have to do something about it.

1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

Gus was Smitten with the sommelier.   The way he was so relaxed and was damn near flirting with the guy.   But the life leads his dangerous and he knows he can't bring anyone he loves into it.  Remember what happened to his brother?  Love would be a weakness he couldn't afford in his plan for vengeance: against the Salamancas.  

I don't think Max was his brother.

• Like 1
  • Wink 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 9

Always good to see Reed Diamond (and an H:LOTS reunion). My take on the David scene was that Gus allowed himself these encounters every so often, followed by leaving with an excuse. 

Damn, Jimmy and Kim pretty much took down an entire law firm. Kim's lie to Cheryl seemed especially unforgivable bc it felt like she was killing Howard's memory. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8