Type keyword(s) to search

Jensen Ackles *Master Actor* Fav Characters VS Dean

• Start Topic

JA was terrific in the role. I get the impression SB has something to do with the show's endgame (he only gets introduced midway through the season to be put on ice again at the end? Definitely have future plans for the guy), and I thought they gave him quite a bit to work with in terms of complexity, which is why people can argue how much of a villain he really was based on actual written lines and concepts rather than just JA's considerable talents. (Ie, he has little control over the beam and legit wouldn't have wanted to kill the civilians in midtown, he was right about the priest and nun, he kept faith with Butcher, he had self-awareness about his own shortcomings.)

I think Kripke knew more of what he was getting with JA this time around, and knew he could handle the complexity with deftness, charm, and also darkness. The entire show is about extremely grey individuals, and SB is no different. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Aithne said:

JA was terrific in the role. I get the impression SB has something to do with the show's endgame (he only gets introduced midway through the season to be put on ice again at the end? Definitely have future plans for the guy), and I thought they gave him quite a bit to work with in terms of complexity, which is why people can argue how much of a villain he really was based on actual written lines and concepts rather than just JA's considerable talents. (Ie, he has little control over the beam and legit wouldn't have wanted to kill the civilians in midtown, he was right about the priest and nun, he kept faith with Butcher, he had self-awareness about his own shortcomings.)

I think Kripke knew more of what he was getting with JA this time around, and knew he could handle the complexity with deftness, charm, and also darkness. The entire show is about extremely grey individuals, and SB is no different. 

I agree. This isn't the last we've seen of him.  I do think they probably should have come at their finale differently because frankly it kind of made everyone on the "good side" look like idiots. I'll give MM a pass because he had a deeply personal reason for his actions vs Soldier Boy and if he wasn't necessarily putting the good of the world ahead of that, I get it. But that's why the others are there, THEY should be the ones thinking of the greater good. 

But for Soldier Boy specifically IMO he had a good amount to work with considering it was mostly in 4 episodes.  They needed him to be the guy Vought basically built the whole billion dollar post War company on - he was super charismatic, he was charming, he was of course incredibly handsome.  So they needed someone who basically could be be terrifying bully but also be as genuinely charming, even charming when he was an ass. 

That's why they were probably having a hard time casting the role and why they did cast Jensen when he came along.  He's capable of portraying that complexity and making the character have a depth that isn't necessarily spoken.

• Love 8

I'm looking forward to seeing Jensen in Big Sky. I hope he is playing a meaty darkish role, and not just another "good" cop.

I've been watching S1-2, and I'm really enjoying it. And, I'm sure this is probably a very, very, very unpopular opinion, but the two main characters are not that interesting to me, tbh, they're kind of irritating. I really enjoyed the villains in this show, the women even more than the men.  I wanted to know more about Ronald's girlfriend Scarlett and her sister, Rick's wife Merrilee, Wolf's wife Agatha and her sister, Ren.

So I really hope Beau Arlen is going to have some agenda, maybe something the tech guy is "innocently" involved in that could have repercussions on Beau's daughter? Undercover for getting into the human trafficking ring? 

I like the two main characters, I like that they became friends and bonded.  I also like their crew, Lindor and Denise, I don't know for sure but I assume Jerrie isn't going to be there much this season as the actress seems quite busy.

I'd be quite happy to see him playing a good guy.  He's just come off playing a baddie.  I'm good either way but I'd actually prefer a good guy.

• Love 3

It would be great if Beau is a good guy, but looking at S1-2, good guys don't get a lot of story/screentime, like Lindor. That's why I hope he's more of a dark gray. 

There was so much scope for the two main characters, but, IMO, they didn't write any story for them. They mostly complained about guys, ate ice cream, got drunk, or got shot together. 

Every Main Character In The Boys Season 3 Ranked Worst To Best

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/940231/every-main-character-in-the-boys-season-3-ranked-worst-to-best/?utm_campaign=clip

Was surprised to see Jensen over Homelander since he isn't really a major part until the last few eps.  I figured they would favor the actors that had been on the show since the beginning.  So it would be interesting to see what would happen if Jensen came back.  I won't be watching it as I don't like the Boys.  But it is interesting to see what people think.  LOL.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Every Main Character In The Boys Season 3 Ranked Worst To Best

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/940231/every-main-character-in-the-boys-season-3-ranked-worst-to-best/?utm_campaign=clip

Was surprised to see Jensen over Homelander since he isn't really a major part until the last few eps.  I figured they would favor the actors that had been on the show since the beginning.  So it would be interesting to see what would happen if Jensen came back.  I won't be watching it as I don't like the Boys.  But it is interesting to see what people think.  LOL.

It was especially surprising to see him ranked #1 above every other character. Not that I'm disagreeing with their choice but it's a very pleasant surprise.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Was surprised to see Jensen over Homelander since he isn't really a major part until the last few eps.  I figured they would favor the actors that had been on the show since the beginning

20 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

It was especially surprising to see him ranked #1 above every other character. Not that I'm disagreeing with their choice but it's a very pleasant surprise.

I've been seeing it since the finale aired.

He rivals Homelander as the most popular character on the show now, even in just that guest starring role and with the much more limited writing. 

But I'm not surprised in the least, in all honesty. 😉

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'm a Jensen fan and I don't hate Walker, because I don't watch it. IMO if you (general you) have never watched the show, you can't hate it. 

If you (general you) are not interested in the upcoming projects, there is no need to trash them. But this is exactly what some of JP fans have been doing for a long time. I just don't get that. 

Nor do I hate GK (Gotham Knights?) for that matter.

I don't hate Walker, but I also did watch one ep which Jensen directed.  If the show had grabbed my attention, made me curious about it, I would have gone back and given it a go.  Instead, it sealed it for me.  I didn't find Jared's Walker interesting.  I was bored.  So I won't be watching his show.  Now, if you love Walker, no problem, but the acting just isn't strong enough for me.

Now I enjoyed the old Walker show enough to watch it off and on.  It was just fun, but I knew it wasn't supposed to be great acting.

Haven't watched GK so zero opinion on it.

Just because Jensen is in something doesn't mean I will watch it.  I've never watched his Horror Films as I personally hate them.  I tried The Boys, but couldn't finish the season 3 and I won't be going back even if he's on it again.

So I don't understand why people have to make it you hate X when it is all about personal taste.  I'll never forget judging a high school duet acting.  All 6 groups were fantastic, but we had to rank them.  None of us agreed on any of the rankings.  None.  This was trained actors judging and all said I would in a heartbeat put all of the actors in a show.  So why can't the fans be happy for their favorite and quit this nonsense of putting someone down because it will harm X.  It doesn't.

I do think Jensen will break out.  He's getting too many opportunities and Jared put himself into another show which will limit his availability.  But if Jared was free, I wonder how many would be knocking on his door.  His Sam and Walker look almost identical.

The rules of acting is that there is always someone better and worse than you.  Jensen gets my respect because he seems to shine in everything I've seen him in.  My reason for not watching "The Boys" has nothing to do with Jensen's acting.  It's plotlines and writing that I'm not supporting.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Just because Jensen is in something doesn't mean I will watch it.  I've never watched his Horror Films as I personally hate them.  

Speaking of, I've watched My Bloody Valentine (2009). I was very impressed with Jensen as Tom Hanniger. His character had such serious mental issues because of horrible trauma. Jensen perfectly played it. The movie is gory, but it didn't bother me, so I enjoyed Jensen's performance a lot. 

Spoilers for the movie

Spoiler

The character wasn't aware of all his actions. Tom was genuinely confused when the other people started suspecting him of the crimes. TBH, Tom/Jensen fooled me too, because I wasn't expecting one twist with the character. The moment when Jensen switched from normal!Tom to psycho!Tom was incredible.

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, 7kstar said:

But if Jared was free, I wonder how many would be knocking on his door.  His Sam and Walker look almost identical.

That was my opinion as well - it looked to me like Sam had moved to Texas and started a family. After three episodes I was out. (My rule is to try a new show for three episodes and make a decision whether or not to continue after that). However, I certainly wouldn't go on social media and trash it and Jared. Life is too short and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

51 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

That was my opinion as well - it looked to me like Sam had moved to Texas and started a family. 

That can't be Sam. You know, Sam had the dog. Walker didn't AFAIK. That's THE difference between them! 😁

Well, I have to stop doing that dog joke, but thanks to S8 I can't let it go☺️

Edited by Nick24
  • LOL 1
51 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

That was my opinion as well - it looked to me like Sam had moved to Texas and started a family. After three episodes I was out. (My rule is to try a new show for three episodes and make a decision whether or not to continue after that). However, I certainly wouldn't go on social media and trash it and Jared. Life is too short and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That's what Sam did post-15-20.  He married Ruby's twin sister and settled down in Texas.

Since he apparently had about 50 years between then and joining Dean in heaven, there was plenty of time to screw up his family per the show.  I'll assume Dean Jr. was from a second marriage, which is why he still looked so young when Sam was so old.  

I only watched a little bit of the show.  I hate soap operas and family Drama (with a capital D) and that's what it seemed like to me.  And I still kept seeing Sam instead of Walker.  I don't know if that was my fault or Jared's.  

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I don't know if that was my fault or Jared's.  

IMO Jared has very limited acting skills. That was clear to me on SPN. His facial expressions are mostly predictable. TBH, in the last few seasons of SPN Sam felt kinda one-note to me. It's not a dig. Just my observation.

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

I don't know if that was my fault or Jared's.

If I was directing Jared, I would tell him you're in your head.   With the right training, he could improve.  But there is a lot of mediocre acting training out there.  So I don't blame Jared or any of the actors that can't understand how to use your instinct to give layers to a performance.

Is there moments that I can see some character Jensen has played?  Of course, he is Jensen.  But it is how he adds layers that enable bringing a new reaction to an old reaction.  Not sure if I can really explain it.  But I've watched kids that couldn't act move into something so much more.  Do I wish Jared would do so much more...of course.  But I have a feeling he has too many yes men around him.  It's the danger of group-think and I'm seeing it more and more in creative people's projects.  It's why they get so surprised when something becomes a hit; that they never saw coming.

Edited by 7kstar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Showrunner of Big Sky talking about getting Jensen to join the cast (from tvguide.com):

"When I get actors to come play with me, I try to make sure that they have dimensions to play. If I were to call Jensen and go, "Hey, Jensen. You're gonna play a really cool, tough-talking sheriff who looks at blood splatters and handcuffs bad guys," he'd give me a hard pass tomorrow. So I spent more time talking with Jensen about his character's backstory, about what emotionally motivates him. And the same thing with Reba. That's what keeps the actors on their toes.

"Everyone always talks about actors' first day on stage; there's something I call "the first day on the page." And it's happened to me multiple times where I've convinced a big actor or written a role for somebody, and then I can't make them talk on the page. I've never had that problem, ever, with Jensen. I have the opposite problem. I could write pages and pages for him. His character's demeanor, and the way Jensen's created this character, just really sparks something in me, and that's what we tried to do...."

• Love 8
4 hours ago, ahrtee said:

"Everyone always talks about actors' first day on stage; there's something I call "the first day on the page." And it's happened to me multiple times where I've convinced a big actor or written a role for somebody, and then I can't make them talk on the page. I've never had that problem, ever, with Jensen. I have the opposite problem. I could write pages and pages for him. His character's demeanor, and the way Jensen's created this character, just really sparks something in me, and that's what we tried to do...."

Wow! Looks like Jensen finally got lucky with the showrunner!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they are going to do with the character. The opener is promising IMO.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Last night's episode of Big Sky is the first time I saw any resemblance of Dean in Beau. First, he was eating a sandwich with great gusto, and then later Beau was holding his gun in the same manor when he entered a dangerous house. Of course, there also was the obvious gift of salt for Cassie's housewarming - to keep the demons out. 😄 But I think that Jensen is doing a very good job of keeping Beau's character different than Dean. I still miss Dean though. 😢

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Beau Arlen seems to be a much lighter character than Dean or SB. He has his issues, but not the weight of the world on his shoulders.

There are hints of tragedy and trauma in his past --- being at the grief counseling center, his divorce, (probably) losing custody, and whatever happened at his job in Houston. But over all, he seems to want to handle these things in a healthy way, again trying the grief counseling and his "punch list."  

• Love 3

Don't forget his visualization techniques. :)  Beau is definitely trying to deal with his issues in a healthy way.  A character doesn't need to have the weight of the world on their shoulders to be interesting.  I'm kind of enjoying the more "street level" issues and challenges of Big Sky and I like seeing Jensen get to act in that setting.  He can be both very professional and yet clearly tries to be sensitive as well.

• Love 3