Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/18/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, July 18 – The Political View with Sen. Rev. Raphael Warnock (author, “A Way Out of No Way”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, July 19 – Lindsey Granger guest co-hosts; Issa Rae (“Rap Sh!t” and “Vengeance”); Paul Hollywood (author, “Bake”)

Wednesday, July 20 – Lindsey Granger guest co-hosts; Ice-T and Spike (authors, “Split Decision”)

Thursday, July 21 – Lindsey Granger guest co-hosts; Ethan Hawke (“The Last Movie Stars”)

Friday, July 22 – Lindsey Granger guest co-hosts; Eva Longoria, Olivia Goncalves and Diana Maria Riva (“The Gordita Chronicles”)

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I have a huge crush on Raphael Warnock.  I hope the hosts shut up and let him talk, could listen to him speak all day.

I don't mind the rotation of guest hosts, but wish they'd stop having candidates who are not a good fit.  Lindsey Granger is not a good fit.  Her rapid fire arguing is abrasive. 

One more week after this one before they go on break?  I'm guessing they won't make an official announcement until the new shows after Labor Day, but I'm sure the winner will be leaked.  We all knew Meghan was going to be there before they announced.  Lindsey seems like a long shot.

• Love 9
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I have a huge crush on Raphael Warnock.  I hope the hosts shut up and let him talk, could listen to him speak all day.

I don't mind the rotation of guest hosts, but wish they'd stop having candidates who are not a good fit.  Lindsey Granger is not a good fit.  Her rapid fire arguing is abrasive. 

One more week after this one before they go on break?  I'm guessing they won't make an official announcement until the new shows after Labor Day, but I'm sure the winner will be leaked.  We all knew Meghan was going to be there before they announced.  Lindsey seems like a long shot.

Me too with Warnock. His goodness and intelligence come shining through. I'm looking forward to Monday and hope no host screws up the interview. 

Edited by MMEButterfly
  • Love 2

Just NO to Lindsay Granger.  She is not well prepared, and has been caught in several mistakes. And. she talks so fast it is hard to follow what she is saying.  PLEASE, just chose Tara and "get off the Pot". It is also a great idea to use Ana on Monday and Friday or Thursday' and Friday.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

Me too with Warnock. His goodness and intelligence come shining through. I'm looking forward to Monday and hope no host screws up the interview. 

Do you guys remember how Nutmeg attacked him?  It was a new low even for her. I loved Warnock's bemused expression throughout it all and Whoopie was fit to be tied...lol

• Fire 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2022 at 7:16 PM, Triviatrish2 said:

Just NO to Lindsay Granger.  She is not well prepared, and has been caught in several mistakes.

Why do they keep bringing her back?  She is awful.  Are they having her back to make their real choice seem better? Because I find Alyssa, Tara  and Stephanie all better than her.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 7/16/2022 at 7:16 PM, Triviatrish2 said:

Just NO to Lindsay Granger.

20 hours ago, Rightside said:

My head hurts already

53 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Why do they keep bringing her back? 

I think the reason they keep bringing LG back is to make the inevitable announcement of hiring AFG a bit more palatable.

• Applause 3

I agreed with Ana that the unfortunate reality is the president has to do what has to be done to get gas prices down. And it isn't like we haven't always been taking oil from countries like this. I mean, that's why gas prices went up as soon as Russian oil was banned in response to their attack on Ukraine. Sunny mentioned the price-gouging bill, but everyone knows Manchin will block that from passing, which leaves Biden with few options left. Manchin does deserve the blame for this, as Sunny said, but simply blaming him won't change gas prices.

Thankfully Joy and Sara are back and both are alright. I'm glad Lindsey wasn't there the first day they were back.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

I’m glad Sunny split up the Biden apology tour that was going on. 

Sara’s look to Whoopi after she announced they were going to break before she had a chance to speak said it all. Welcome back!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2022 at 6:16 PM, Triviatrish2 said:

Just NO to Lindsay Granger.  She is not well prepared, and has been caught in several mistakes. And. she talks so fast it is hard to follow what she is saying.  PLEASE, just chose Tara and "get off the Pot". It is also a great idea to use Ana on Monday and Friday or Thursday' and Friday.

Now I'm wondering if that rumor that it was between Tara and Alyssa was incorrect and it's really between Alyssa and Lindsay.  We haven't seen Tara is a while, and we've seen Lindsay A LOT...  It doesn't make sense they would keep bringing her back (she doesn't have a huge following and doesn't work for ABC)  unless she was in the running.    Unfortunately it wouldn't be the first time 2 Black women were confused for each other 🙂

Glad to see the whole crew back!  It was a good show.   Sen. Warnock was great as usual.    

• Useful 2

Jennifer Lopez / Ben Affleck - I hope this works out for them, but neither one has a great history of stable relationships, so who knows. I hope Sunny was being sarcastic when she said that this is the first marriage where JLo was really in love, because if she really believes that, it makes JLo seem very shallow. 

• Love 3

Sunny waves her Catholic flat at every opportunity, but does she not believe in the Catholic dictate that divorce is not recognized? Sunny's Catholic sensibilities are fully piqued with abortion, but with J-Lo's marriage to Affleck Sunny gleefully heralds this as "twu wub," despite J-Lo's three previous marriages. Sunny appears to be a cafeteria-style, pick and choose Catholic.

• Applause 1
  • Love 11
56 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Jennifer Lopez / Ben Affleck - I hope this works out for them, but neither one has a great history of stable relationships, so who knows. I hope Sunny was being sarcastic when she said that this is the first marriage where JLo was really in love, because if she really believes that, it makes JLo seem very shallow. 

How does Sunny know if that is true? Has JLo said that?  JLo had children with Marc Anthony.  So she didn't love him?  Are her children growing up hearing/reading their mother didn't love their father?  My opinion is Jennifer loves the man she is with at that time.   I think most of us realize Jennifer Garner did the heavy lifting in Ben's first marriage so I hope JLo is ready to do the same. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
45 minutes ago, FaginZorro said:

Sunny appears to be a cafeteria-style, pick and choose Catholic.

Well, I hope so.  I wouldn't trust anyone who blindly followed archaic religious dogma.  I grew up with and am related to Cafeteria Catholics (I left the flock long ago).  They pick and choose what tenets suit their family.  "I'll have a course of baptism, communion, confession and marriage, but I'll pass on the homophobia, treating women like second class citizens and child molestations coverups" I don't know any Catholic family that hasn't had a divorce, a member that was LGBTQ+. or a member that lived with a partner before marrying.  

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5

The Lindsey here and the Lindsey on Daily Blast Live is like night and day. Just last week, she and her DBL co-hosts were having a topical discussion. Lindsey was calm, collected and comfortable with the panel - completely the opposite of how she is here. I have a feeling that Teta and the other producers are coaching her to play up conflict. The problem is, it doesn't seem natural and it hurts my ears!!! 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

How does Sunny know if that is true? Has JLo said that?  JLo had children with Marc Anthony.  So she didn't love him?  Are her children growing up hearing/reading their mother didn't love their father?  My opinion is Jennifer loves the man she is with at that time.   I think most of us realize Jennifer Garner did the heavy lifting in Ben's first marriage so I hope JLo is ready to do the same. 

That's all my impression too. They're two beautiful people, but Jennifer seems like she's in love with being in love and Ben seems like he's a lot to deal with. I wish them well, but not like aww omg! how romantic, nope. And don't want to see him kissing her butt in a music video again. Lord they were extra. I rarely get annoyed by couples, but they're one of the few who were just too in the media for me. 

I looked up the meaning of a romantic and found this. 

"Someone who is romantic or does romantic things says and does things that make their wife, husband, girlfriend, or boyfriend feel special and loved."

My idea of that is someone who loves one person and sticks with them through thick and thin, can't live without them. Gushing and being thoughtful in a new relationship every couple of years is not my idea of romantic. I guess I like the idea of true love, but I'm not the type to romanticize everything. 

If I appreciate romantic songs, like when men get me flowers, thoughtful gestures, and the idea of growing old with someone, am I romantic? Or if I'm still practical and not the type to gush, are romantic types more Sunny and J.Lo? I feel like a part of me is romantic. I'd like a partner to spend the rest of my life with, and it's hard for to picture living without someone I love that much. As much as I loved the character, Charlotte York often made me cringe for example. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, FaginZorro said:

Sunny waves her Catholic flat at every opportunity, but does she not believe in the Catholic dictate that divorce is not recognized? Sunny's Catholic sensibilities are fully piqued with abortion, but with J-Lo's marriage to Affleck Sunny gleefully heralds this as "twu wub," despite J-Lo's three previous marriages. Sunny appears to be a cafeteria-style, pick and choose Catholic.

Is J-Lo Catholic, though? 

As we all know, Sunny is Catholic so she wouldn't divorce, but maybe, in her eyes, it's ok for J-Lo to divorce and remarry because J-Lo isn't Catholic. Y'know, like her stance on abortion...she isn't going to project her religious beliefs regarding divorce onto others. 

My family is Catholic, as is the majority of my community. Catholics that I know that have divorced have been remarried only by justice of the peace, no church involved. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

That's all my impression too. They're two beautiful people, but Jennifer seems like she's in love with being in love and Ben seems like he's a lot to deal with. I wish them well, but not like aww omg! how romantic, nope. And don't want to see him kissing her butt in a music video again. Lord they were extra. I rarely get annoyed by couples, but they're one of the few who were just too in the media for me. 

I think a lot of people confuse romantic with performative.  For me if a man gives me flowers unless there is genuine feelings behind the gift is it really romantic?  I think Jennifer likes the performative aspect of a relationship.  But the nuts and bolts of the day to day relationship/marriage might get tedious for her.  Especially being married to a recovering (?) alcoholic.  I say this as someone who was married to an alcoholic. Even when they aren't drinking they are a lot of work.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Jennifer seems to "fall in love" easily.  With luck, it will last, but only time will tell. I don't think this relationship is especially romantic in an idealistic way. I can't see them pining away for each other for twenty years, overcoming obstacles in quest to be together. I think this is a situation where both parties found themselves single at the same time and replayed some of their original relationship. So good for them, but I wouldn't consider them any kind of romantic ideal. For some reason Sunny (and I think a couple of the other ladies) seem very excited by this marriage. I think that JLo's mother has been an audience member frequently so perhaps that personal connection is the reason they feel this is "meant to be". 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 4

I don’t understand why anyone would be that thrilled about the Jennifer/Ben marriage. I think he put Jennifer Garner through hell and has always seemed like a pr**k to me and she falls in love as often as everyone else changes their underwear.  I haven’t checked any gossip sites today.  Are they still married?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 13
  • Love 4

Why bother even getting married at this point?  They’re both in their 50s, have more money than they could ever spend, and not going to have kids together. Why complicate things?  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Why bother even getting married at this point?  They’re both in their 50s, have more money than they could ever spend, and not going to have kids together. Why complicate things?  

A friend's sister who's in her 50s is on marriage 5 or 6. People call her a "hopeless romantic." In her case, she's not rich, so maybe tax benefits and such are worth it? 

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I think a lot of people confuse romantic with performative.  For me if a man gives me flowers unless there is genuine feelings behind the gift is it really romantic?  I think Jennifer likes the performative aspect of a relationship.  But the nuts and bolts of the day to day relationship/marriage might get tedious for her.  Especially being married to a recovering (?) alcoholic.  I say this as someone who was married to an alcoholic. Even when they aren't drinking they are a lot of work.

It has to be from the heart for me. I find showy stuff very cringe, like when people wax poetic about their SO on facebook. If you get your partner flowers because she had a bad day and you want to cheer her up, I think it's sweet. If you're flaky, a cheater, fall in and out of love all the time, do stuff for the cameras or social media, not romantic at all to me. I agree it's about the nuts and bolts.  Loving your partner when things aren't sexy, being willing to sacrifice, always being respectful, taking care of each other, etc. 

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Jennifer seems to "fall in love" easily.  With luck, it will last, but only time will tell. I don't think this relationship is especially romantic in an idealistic way. I can't see them pining away for each other for twenty years, overcoming obstacles in quest to be together. I think this is a situation where both parties found themselves single at the same time and replayed some of their original relationship. So good for them, but I wouldn't consider them any kind of romantic ideal. For some reason Sunny (and I think a couple of the other ladies) seem very excited by this marriage. I think that JLo's mother has been an audience member frequently so perhaps that personal connection is the reason they feel this is "meant to be". 

Glad it's not only me. I have a very different view of romance from Sunny. J.Lo was about to marry A Rod like yesterday. If Ben was always "the one," I hope it lasts, but knowing both of their histories, I don't feel any warm fuzzies about them as a couple. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

If you get your partner flowers because she had a bad day and you want to cheer her up, I think it's sweet.

Especially if you don't tell anyone or post it on social media!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I don’t understand why anyone would be that thrilled about the Jennifer/Ben marriage. I think he put Jennifer Garner through hell and has always seemed like a pr**k to me and she falls in love as often as everyone else changes their underwear.  I haven’t checked any gossip sites today.  Are they still married?

Me either. I think they're both assholes in real life. I knew JLO was from watching American Idol all these year and Ben Affleck because of everything he put Jennifer Garner through. I always thought Garner was way too good for him, tbh...

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Publicity?

• Like 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, FaginZorro said:

I think no matter what religion you choose to follow, you should pick what works for you. If Sunny was a catholic extremist, she would not have the two kids that she has right now via IVF because the Catholic church is against IVF because they believe that children should be conceive by their parents only in the privacy of their bedrooms.. Evidently Sunny like any rational human being who follows a religion adheres to the teachings that suits her life.. I personally see nothing wrong with how she follows her faith. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Re Warnock and the price of insulin: Banting and Best, the inventors of insulin, sold the patent for the drug to the University of Toronto for $1 because they thought that everyone should be able to afford it.

And while we're on drug pricing and Manchins, Heather Manchin Brest (daughter of Joe Manchin) wa a senior exec and later CEO of Mylan when they bought the patent for Epi-pen and raised the price 17 times, moving the cost from $90 to $690. The price in the UK is $38. Chip off the old block.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

It has to be from the heart for me.

A friend once told me she would like flowers from her husband on Easter but if she had to tell him that what was the point?

Glad it's not only me. I have a very different view of romance from Sunny. J.Lo was about to marry A Rod like yesterday. If Ben was always "the one," I hope it lasts, but knowing both of their histories, I don't feel any warm fuzzies about them as a couple. 

Sunny said she had talked to Jennifer's mother and they talked about Jen and Ben.  That seemed weird to me. 

Sorry not sorry but people saying this is some great love story does a disservice to the children they had with other people. Even if they were pining for each other while apart (which I don't believe) I guess everything that happened in between them being together was just killing time? If A Rod hadn't been such a cheater she would probably be married to him right now.  People do find their way back to each other but it just rubs me the wrong way how this is being framed. 

A friend's sister who's in her 50s is on marriage 5 or 6. People call her a "hopeless romantic."

I would call her desperate and can't be without a man.

15 hours ago, Haleth said:

I don't get it either.  It is so much easier to split up if you aren't married.  And they eloped so it's not like they wanted to have a big wedding and celebrate with family and friends which is the excuse people use to have a big wedding.  I think Jennifer likes the idea of being married.  Maybe she thinks that makes it a deeper commitment.  For their kids sake I hope everyone is happy.

13 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I always thought Garner was way too good for him, tbh...

Way too good for him.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Just to clarify what they were saying about the gun laws in IN, the rule established by the mall takes precedence over state law, however, it can only be enforced if the mall authorities/security asks the gun carrier to leave. That is not going to happen unless someone is behaving recklessly or threateningly. Otherwise anyone can stroll through the mall with their weapons.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Just to clarify what they were saying about the gun laws in IN, the rule established by the mall takes precedence over state law, however, it can only be enforced if the mall authorities/security asks the gun carrier to leave. That is not going to happen unless someone is behaving recklessly or threateningly. Otherwise anyone can stroll through the mall with their weapons.   

If someone was openly carrying a gun in the mall, security would ask them to leave.   But agreed that it was not against the law to bring the gun into the mall.  But if you were asked to leave for having a gun and refused, you could be arrested for trespassing at that point.   

While glad the person stopped the shooter, I also don't like the narrative that this was a "good guy" or law abiding person.  As he brought a gun into a establishment where guns were prohibited.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
20 minutes ago, After7Only said:

While glad the person stopped the shooter, I also don't like the narrative that this was a "good guy" or law abiding person.  As he brought a gun into a establishment where guns were prohibited.   

Sunny brought this up but Whoopie had to cut the conversation to go to a commercial break and they never continued the conversation after they came back.

I know Lindsey is not liked on this board but she was fine today.  She wasn't trying to be combative and contrarian simply because she is in the fifth chair. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Sunny brought this up but Whoopie had to cut the conversation to go to a commercial break and they never continued the conversation after they came back.

I know Lindsey is not liked on this board but she was fine today.  She wasn't trying to be combative and contrarian simply because she is in the fifth chair. 

she wasn't combative, but, at least in her first couple of statements, she talked way too fast

thank god for closed captioning

joy is looking very rested and happy since she returned

• Love 6
(edited)
28 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Joy is looking fabulous and it is amazing that she is turning 80 this year, if  I am not mistaken..

Like Martin used to say on his eponymous show back in the day, you go girl!

Edited by Pearson80
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I think Jennifer likes the idea of being married.

Could be.  Someone once asked Elizabeth Taylor why she had so many husbands, and she said other famous women may have just married once or twice but they have had numerous affairs in between marriages.  She said that she likes being married to the man she's sleeping with. 

49 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Yes, she is.  So good to have her back.

• Love 13
(edited)
19 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I think no matter what religion you choose to follow, you should pick what works for you. If Sunny was a catholic extremist, she would not have the two kids that she has right now via IVF because the Catholic church is against IVF because they believe that children should be conceive by their parents only in the privacy of their bedrooms.. Evidently Sunny like any rational human being who follows a religion adheres to the teachings that suits her life.. I personally see nothing wrong with how she follows her faith. 

I don't always see eye to eye with Sunny, but I think she's someone who tries to be a good, moral person. That is all that matters imo.

Speaking as an agnostic here . . .

For me personally, as much as I wished I had a religion to give me hope for more, I don't practice any of them because all the major religions have doctrine I have issues with. 

6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

A friend once told me she would like flowers from her husband on Easter but if she had to tell him that what was the point?

Sunny said she had talked to Jennifer's mother and they talked about Jen and Ben.  That seemed weird to me. 

Sorry not sorry but people saying this is some great love story does a disservice to the children they had with other people. Even if they were pining for each other while apart (which I don't believe) I guess everything that happened in between them being together was just killing time? If A Rod hadn't been such a cheater she would probably be married to him right now.  People do find their way back to each other but it just rubs me the wrong way how this is being framed. 

I would call her desperate and can't be without a man.

I don't get it either.  It is so much easier to split up if you aren't married.  And they eloped so it's not like they wanted to have a big wedding and celebrate with family and friends which is the excuse people use to have a big wedding.  I think Jennifer likes the idea of being married.  Maybe she thinks that makes it a deeper commitment.  For their kids sake I hope everyone is happy.

Way too good for him.

lol, yeah not exactly romantic if you have to be told.

I wonder what their children think. It can't feel good to think one of their parents may have just been killing time or settling with their other parent.

I always thought Jennifer Garner seemed like a class act. I hope she's happy and doing well. 

If only we could all age like Joy! She looks fabulous and still going strong. Adore that woman. 

When I see someone with a gun at the mall, it gives me anxiety. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

Issa Rae is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous with that flawless, glowing skin, big beautiful eyes and a meg-watt smile. And she's hilarious.

Sorry....just had to fangirl out there for a moment. 

Lindsey is shrill, grating and rather abrasive.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I didn't connect the name listed for today with The Great British Baking Show. That was a better fluff interview than usual, at least. Boring show though other than Joy telling the other ladies (sans Whoopi), "I'll pray for you," when they were talking about monogamy. 😂

• Love 2
On 7/17/2022 at 12:25 AM, Pearson80 said:

Do you guys remember how Nutmeg attacked him?  It was a new low even for her. I loved Warnock's bemused expression throughout it all and Whoopie was fit to be tied...lol

I remember that...it was right after she had returned from maternity leave. You could practically see the steam coming out of Whoopi's ears! Rev. Warnock was such a good sport.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, After7Only said:

If someone was openly carrying a gun in the mall, security would ask them to leave.   But agreed that it was not against the law to bring the gun into the mall.  But if you were asked to leave for having a gun and refused, you could be arrested for trespassing at that point.   

I'm glad he stopped the shooter. I'm glad he immediately told people to run behind him. I'm sure he did this with a good heart. I am bothered, however, by the "Good Samaritan" language. Good Samaritan has a specific meaning, a precious meaning, and has nothing to do with shooting a gunman. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 7/17/2022 at 12:25 AM, Pearson80 said:

Do you guys remember how Nutmeg attacked him?  It was a new low even for her

Another thing that Nutmeg said that relates to today's show was about climate control.  Remember when she was so astounded that people even cared about it?  She said it was about #10 on her list of things to care about.  How much do you wanna bet that she's bitching to Ben about how hot it is!💥

• Applause 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

Sorry, Whoops, Thomas did not mention Loving--because it affects him personally. While everyone else is a second class citizen. Loved Joy making the comparison to Nancy Reagan's reverse on stem cell research when her husband developed Alzheimer's because it's true, they only care when something affects them personally.

And, to Lindsey, codification by Congress can be overruled by the Supreme Court. Even if it had happened over the past thirty years, it wouldn't change anything. What a hollow deflection.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Applause 4
  • Love 10
(edited)

No, Whoopi, Thomas did not bring up Loving. Bullying Sunny will not make it so.

I guess Joy just answered for me why JLo and Ben bothered to get married.

I’m with Sara that Dems backing extreme Magas is incredibly risky, especially(Sunny) because of voter suppression.  If you bet wrong things will only get worse.

That video of the little girls at Sesame Place makes me so sad. Their little faces looked so shocked and disappointed. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

Sara, as a Marylander, don’t ever compare us to the clowns that elected Marjorie Taylor Greene.  Maryland has had few Republican governors in its history.  Only 8 since 1777.  It’s heavily democratic.  And, I say that as someone who thought Larry Hogan was a great Governor.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2