Type keyword(s) to search

The Invisible Girl - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Coming soon to Disney+

Daniel Grao (Hit, Julieta) and Zoe Stein (Mantícora, Merlí.Sapere Aude) have landed the leads, playing a father and daughter involved in the investigation of a murdered teenage girl in the picturesque fictional town of Cárdena, set in Andalusia, in what’s billed as an “atmospheric thriller.”

The two are forced to put their differences aside and to succumb their tense relationship in order to solve the murder case rocking a supposedly peaceful town, where all inhabitants are suspects.

This has been announced to be starting on Hulu in the US on May 16th.

I think for me this show suffered from trying to be another Élite, when it just couldn’t be because of the source material.

It lost most of the rather sweet elements of the book. Julia’s mother is dead instead of involved with the case. Julia as an icy cool kid having lots of sex in ponds and using drugs with a bad boy on a motorcycle was kind of weird after reading the book where she is a quiet nerd who loves chess and doing escape rooms with her mates, she meets the the ‘bad boy’ in a broken elevator and he just has a crappy bicycle (if I remember rightly). I could believe all that, in a boring small town in southern Spain, but this show wants to make everything so much more exciting than it ever would be.

I started realizing that it was going to be a weird show in the scene where Julia goes over to Aurora’s house straight after her death to spend the evening comforting her devastated mother, all alone. What teen would have the confidence to think they they should do that? Or that this would even be an appropriate thing for them to do in the circumstances? It was incredibly unrealistic and a really odd choice. The book was better in that aspect as well.

I wanted to enjoy this show but it was just a bit… crap. The acting was good, though.