Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: When A Mandragora Loves A Woman

Did I mention already that I'm here for Dash and Ingrid as a couple? Because I definitely am. Could see those two working out.

Hope the show doesn't go completely predictable and makes Dash a bad guy in this life too, that'd be so boring.

Eva trying to get knocked up, haha, uh oh Freya.

• Love 2

I love that for this show it's such a natural progression that when Ingrid has a seizure (or cramps or whatever that was) she has to be stripped down to her underwear and lit on fire.

Of course! It makes total sense! How did I not come to that same conclusion?

• Love 3

My thoughts, Killian is dumber than a box of rocks.

I hate the Eva character, period.

I would have no problem with Dash and Ingrid.

Thank you writers for getting rid of the Mandragora, the tentacle sex was beyond nasty.

Am I the only one seriously bummed that Frederick is going to betray them again? I so wanted him to be good now.

Oh, and once again no preview for next week!? I don't care how many times I see a promo for The Lottery Lifetime, I'm not watching that shit.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 6

The weird part of Joanna and Alex's library adventure isn't the weird Mandragora ear sex or the infinite loop of libraries, it's the fact that neither of them notice the Mandragora jizz on their necks.

Evil Dash Angry ! Evil Dash Smash !  Evil Dash Kill !

Frederick killing the Madragora seemed WAY too easy and a bit anticlimactic.  Stabbed him and chanted a few words and ..... done.  Easy peasy. 

Holy shit, Kilian and his bullshit story are boring.  I don't care about him and his love potion rapey Vampire Slayer wife.  I find myself too bored to even bother FFing Killian's Island. I just fugue out.

I love that for this show it's such a natural progression that when Ingrid has a seizure (or cramps or whatever that was) she has to be stripped down to her underwear and lit on fire.

Of course! It makes total sense! How did I not come to that same conclusion?

For reals.  But why was she wearing black underwear with a white outfit?  Or did she change into the sexy undies to be magicked by her siblings?  Because, there are enough inappropriate chemistry vibes swirling around Fredrick and his sisters.  We don't need that too.

Did I mention already that I'm here for Dash and Ingrid as a couple? Because I definitely am. Could see those two working out.

Hope the show doesn't go completely predictable and makes Dash a bad guy in this life too, that'd be so boring.

I am totally on board with Dash and Ingrid as friends or romantically.    And yeah, I would like them to break all of their weird historical patterns.  Let Boring Killian and Freya get together - I guess - and Dash be decent and happy with Ingrid (who conveniently already knows the shitty things he's done for the most part).

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

Frederick getting the Galvatron (animated version--really, it makes perfect sense in context) treatment at the end of the episode helped a little with it, but his dusting the Mandragora was indeed massively anticlimactic.  At least Wendy got to use her high heels a little.

I'm kind of amused that the show pretty overtly tied a bow, if a sloppy psychosis-stained one, on Dash's relationship with Freya here--and just as overtly had people noticing him clicking with Ingrid (bonding over being stabbed in the brain...I can't even, show).  OTOH, I'm still kind of pissed that they finally had Hudson the sidekick librarian show up after several episodes just to kill him off; even if it contributed to a pretty good scene or two for Rachel Boston, that still bugged.

On the other other hand: they actually justified stripping Ingrid down to her underwear and oiling her up.  Which had to be deliberate making-up for finally showing Mr. Tentacle in all his inappropriately-bulged glory...twice.

Dare I say that Joanna's heart-to-hearts with Alex were absolutely pitch-perfect for her (and while Rachel Boston was the episode MVP, Julia Ormond got a sweet bit to herself with this) in one big way: she's always been stupid hardcore about protecting everybody from everything, for better or worse.  So why wouldn't it also apply to her then-girlfriend?  At least she got a parting smooch out of it.

As for Eva the owl wanting Killian to knock her up...I have no idea what that's about, TBH.  I can't even speculate, since it doesn't seem to make any sense right now.  She already has him on potion lock, so how would a kid help?

• Love 2

I may actually have to rewatch this episode, because I think we got two invocations of "shit" and one of "bullshit."  Yes, next to Mr. Tentacle's inappropriate bulges and Ingrid's black undies that's what I took away from this episode.

Everything would be so much easier if any of these characters would just talk to each other.

To some degree they were able to cover this up by having everybody split into their own stories when S2 started, but it's definitely gotten more pronounced as the season's rolled on.  And we're basically down to two major stories--the Triangle of Doom and Frederick still being under Grandpa Unicron's thumb, the latter of which is definitely all-encompassing--so it could get downright terminally stupid if this persists.

Dare I say that Joanna's heart-to-hearts with Alex were absolutely pitch-perfect for her (and while Rachel Boston was the episode MVP, Julia Ormond got a sweet bit to herself with this) in one big way: she's always been stupid hardcore about protecting everybody from everything, for better or worse.  So why wouldn't it also apply to her then-girlfriend?  At least she got a parting smooch out of it.

I really wish Alex had stuck around.  She makes Joanna seem more interesting, and she seems so much more focused and less whine-y than everyone else. 

Or did she change into the sexy undies to be magicked by her siblings?  Because, there are enough inappropriate chemistry vibes swirling around Fredrick and his sisters.  We don't need that too.

I kind of love the idea of Ingrid changing into something sexy so her siblings can oil her up and set her on fire.  And I agree, there are times when I would not be surprised in the slightest to have a scene open up on some kind of Wendy/Frederick/Freya threesome.  I think the show is basically encouraging that thinking at this point. 

• Love 2
kind of love the idea of Ingrid changing into something sexy so her siblings can oil her up and set her on fire.

That is one of the most delightfully twisted sentences I've read. I love this show for making that sentence possible. And I have to admit, I would not turn away from a Wendy/Freddie/Freya threesome.

I don't have much to say about the ep. I feel like not much happened. I did love the stuff between Joanna and Alex. It's the first time I've actually paid attention to Joanna, so clearly Alex is magical. I tuned out everything with Greasy and the Owl. I just don't even care why she wants to have his baby. Loved Dash and Ingrid geeking out over having their brains ice picked. I am liking them together more and more. By creepy blue rapist. I can't say I'll miss you.

• Love 5

I may actually have to rewatch this episode, because I think we got two invocations of "shit" and one of "bullshit."  Yes, next to Mr. Tentacle's inappropriate bulges and Ingrid's black undies that's what I took away from this episode.

I know I've heard them utter "shit" more than once an episode. Also, the review indicated that Big Shirtless Seizing Freddie apologized to "someone" when he clearly said "Grandfather." Methinks @adam807 has too many cues for the show drinking game and is missing things. Best switch to beer. I mean, the cue for how many times somebody got ear fucked would have put someone down easy.

• Love 1

And yet he seemed to be naked? He's just built like a Ken doll? Incidentally, the fact that spell-check ok-ed "Mandragora" made me go look it up. It is a real thing! ...That bears zero resemblance to THAT thing.

I'm intrigued by the fact-checking of my "shit" theory too. I'll make note of it next week! It's weird 'cause I've noticed it on The Lottery too. If there is more than one, one of them just sticks out as forced every time. I'd check myself right now but that would require watching the episode again so I'll just take y'all's word for it.

I know I've heard them utter "shit" more than once an episode.

Freya said "shit" under her breath as she was searching the attic for the Grimoire, so that's two shits in this episode.

• Love 1

So, could Frederick have actually cured Hudson? Wendy waved Fred away because she thought he was trying to keep Hudson quiet about his part in the mandragora stuff but in the end, she just let the poor guy die. When Wendy told Ingrid that there wasn't anything they could do for Hudson except make him comfortable, I thought, they couldn't just try with Frederick one last time? Who knows he could have saved him, he was going to die anyway, why not give it a shot?

Edited by Limelight
  • Love 5

I am very sad that Tom Lenk (Hudson) was killed off. I guess he was kind of pointless and only provided occasional comic relief. Still, I wish they had been sad for more than 5 minutes. Did they even remove the body, or were they all celebrating in the kitchen while he rotted in the guest room?

I did like Alex and was glad she lived. Hope to see her again. Also am glad the Octo-Avatar-50ShadesofGrey storyline is over. Guess the rest of the season will be about Freddie and gramps.

I am very sad that Tom Lenk (Hudson) was killed off. I guess he was kind of pointless and only provided occasional comic relief. Still, I wish they had been sad for more than 5 minutes. Did they even remove the body, or were they all celebrating in the kitchen while he rotted in the guest room?

I'm not. Hudson was barely on this show. He had a total of maybe five minutes of screen time in season one was never developed him as an actual character. His death leaves no emotional impact on me. If the characters should be grieving anyone, it should be Victor.  The lack of mourning over Victor's death borders on absurd. I understand that Ingrid and Freya barely knew him in this lifetime, but surely it would affect Frederick, Wendy and especially Joanna in some discernible way. It was bad enough he died under such avoidable circumstances at the hands of such negligible villains. 

How did Freya deduce that Dash's harsh words weren't just motivated by spite but rather a result of the mandragora venom? She never saw Dash's body penetrated by the monster's tentacles, nor did she witness (or even read about the effects of the venom first hand). Dash's ears only started to ooze the black substance after she made a conjecture unlikely from someone of her general intelligence level.

Speaking of Dash, has anyone noticed how many times his medical specialty has changed during the course of the show? He went from cardiothoracic surgeon in the pilot, to ER/trauma and most recently PCP.

I get that this show has a limited budget, but how many times will the library be used as a convenient backdrop for magical hijinks? It always seems to be vacant, even in the middle of the day.

• Love 1