Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Finale: Top 3 To 1

Yaaaay Rod Man!  I was sweating bullets all night.  I thought he was very deserving and I'm so happy for him.  Mama's gonna get that money! 

Good luck to Lachlan, Nikki.  It was great to see the other top 10 there to support the comics.  I hope they all do well after the exposure they've gotten from the show.

I had never seen Russell Peter's act before.  He's pretty funny and the joke about black people becoming African Americans really hit home with me.  I think he said it was 1995.  I don't remember when it was, but all I remember is going to bed as a black person, and waking up the next day finding out I was African American.  I said WTF?  Nobody asked me if I wanted a name change.  Seriously. 

I thought Roseanne was meh, and I guess I missed Keenan because I changed channels for several minutes. 

Keenan really, really has a dickhead. 

• Love 3

Keenan didn't have a set . . . just Roseanne and Russell.

I'm sort of detached from the show. I'm guess that I'm glad Rod Man won, though I wonder if Joe Machi got butt-hurt with the final elimination. And the only other time I can recall a surprise non-elimination that late was in the second season of Who Wants To Be A Superhero? However, I think the teaser for the episode spoiled that twist.

So . . . who's up for another season? As usual, I'll be ambivalent, but I can't seem to stay away.

Oh thank God. I was all prepared to be gobsmacked that Rod Man was eliminated until I caught on that it was a fakeout. The judges almost had me believing that they liked Nikki's sets more than his.

True, all three did well, and in both rounds, but it just seemed (as Roseanne pointed out) that Rod Man's almost effortless ability to make anything funny was most deserving. I'm normally more impressed by great writing, and Lachlan was stronger in that department, but Rod Man's pure, raw talent was undeniable. Congrats.

• Love 1

I thought Lachlan was the funniest tonight, but I'm good with Rod Man winning. Looking at it from the perspective of who could anchor a show, I could easily see Rod Man doing a Larry David type show or a Kevin James type show.  Lachlan, as another poster has noted, would do best in a Friends-like ensemble. I don't care what kind of show Nikki could do. I wouldn't watch it. Nothing tonight changed my opinion of her. I thought a few of her jokes were a little grade school, like some of the ones Rocky was doing throughout the competition.

Does anybody know what Roseann's bleeped statement was when she said she was gonna be the bitch?

• Love 4

I was happy it was Rod Man, but I think Lachlan's first set tonite was the strongest.  Nikki is talented and funny but not sure her act would translate well to a comedy series.  Hope I see some of these comics in the future, including Joe who I thought should have been in the final 3.  Definitely enjoyed this series....never had seen any of the previous seasons.

I thought Lachlan was the funniest tonight, but I'm good with Rod Man winning.

I totally agree. Lachlan's bit about the Czech Republic Wheel of Fortune was hilarious. The backwards K with a line over it? "Oh, there are 12 of them!"

Nikki had, in an earlier episode, told the joke about exercise/stretching/putting on shoes and dancing, is that correct?

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1
don't care what kind of show Nikki could do. I wouldn't watch it. Nothing tonight changed my opinion of her. I thought a few of her jokes were a little grade school, like some of the ones Rocky was doing throughout the competition.

I think she's a hack. The only joke she has told the entire series that was funny was the "Jason?" one, and that was because she looked so funny fake running on the stage then slowing down. She doesn't have any material, just delivery.

I have wanted RodMan to win for a month now, but last night I wanted Lachlan to win.  He was so darn good.  I hope he goes far from this. Rod's sets were weaker than usual.

So happy that Rodman won, although Lachlan did give him a run for his money.  I'll be looking out for Lachlan in the future. Pretty sure this is not the last time we hear of him.

Nikki, eh wasn't feeling her tonight, but i'm happy she at least made it to the finals.

I think she's a hack. The only joke she has told the entire series that was funny was the "Jason?" one, and that was because she looked so funny fake running on the stage then slowing down. She doesn't have any material, just delivery.

I have wanted RodMan to win for a month now, but last night I wanted Lachlan to win. He was so darn good. I hope he goes far from this. Rod's sets were weaker than usual.

Love your username, WhinesndCheez. I agree that Nikki is not that impressive. I liked her delivery of, "Jason?" But I also liked her roast, "Gilbert Gottfried's voice is so annoying, my deaf grandma gets up to turn off the closed-captioning."

Rod Man has been stronger, but his persona is always amusing. Roseanne is correct; he could just read from a phone book (Roseanne and I are both really old, aren't we?), and I'd be cracking up. He did make me laugh when he was "honking" and gesturing with his hand. I don't even know why it was so funny.

I don't care what kind of show Nikki could do. I wouldn't watch it. Nothing tonight changed my opinion of her. I thought a few of her jokes were a little grade school.

The judges deem her very likable. I agree with that, but her material is extremely mediocre. I had already heard other comedians present about 90% of it, some version of it, at least. Edited by hoodooznoodooz

Rod Man was on Jimmy Fallon's show last night.  He did the self-checkout bit and I can't remember what else.  You could tell he was a little nervous, but he still had the audience cracking up.

I thought Lachlan did pretty well overall last night, but I thought he was trying too hard with the Wheel of Fortune bit.  Physical comedy isn't his strength because he's too long and lanky.  I don't even remember what Nikki did.

I thought Rod Man's first set was actually sort of weak (for him, that is). His second set was much better. I suspected it was his to lose, and I wasn't surprised to see him win.  Here's my thinking: he among all the comics, seemed to have the sharpest sense of the room throughout the competition. At first he was all about the 'black man in a white man's world' stuff, but he did gentler family jokes with Ellen, did roasty stuff at the roast, did some sexy stuff with the unconfident breasts, and wrapped things up with church jokes. If I were judging, I'd be willing to bet that his writerly eye could adapt well to a sitcom situation better than the others.

I see Nikki as a goofy neighbor type. Lachlan, although his sets were good, just reminded me too much of Tosh.

• Love 3

The thing I love about Rod Man, he just totally sets up a situation that I can visualize what he's talking about while I'm laughing. I live in the Boston area and have never seen a corn cart but man, I was HOWLING! Maybe Rod Man can hire Lachlan as a writer?

• Love 2

I was howling at the corn cart bit, too, even though I'd never heard of one before.  (Actually, I start howling as soon as he walks out on the stage.)  At one point he mentioned something about a bag of "funchies" or something?  I couldn't understand what he was saying but I was laughing anyway.

• Love 1

We were in far South Texas years ago visiting colleges with our son.  As we were checking out the baseball field at one particular school, we heard a strange "horn," then a voice over a loud speaker announcing different toppings in Spanish, ending with "mayonnaise."  We looked around and saw it was a truck, much like an ice cream truck, driving around selling roasted corn with many different toppings.  We had never seen anything like that before,didn't know you could buy corn from a roving truck, and never imagined slathering it with mayonnaise!  Hearing Rod Man's routine just brought back that funny experience. 

• Love 4

Oh thank God. I was all prepared to be gobsmacked that Rod Man was eliminated until I caught on that it was a fakeout. The judges almost had me believing that they liked Nikki's sets more than his.

HA!  I made sure to watch the episode on line this morning because I knew I would have to read the thread today and I didn't want to be spoiled.  However, when they announced that Nicki was through and then called Lachan's name I took the bait and cut off the episode.  Because, really?  Rod Man didn't even make it to the final 2.  Then I come here and start my modding duties and see that Rod Man won!  I'm glad he won and now I'll watch the rest of the episode when I get home.  I'm such a sucker!

I was about to turn off the episode once they announced Nikki and Lachlan safe, too. But I thought Nikki's set was terrible, so I was hoping they didn't cut anyone that round.

Lachlan was great this time. He went out on his best set, so it'll work out fine for him. 

Nikki, well... Before last night I thought she was just fine. No complaints. But last night I felt like she was trying to "act like a comedian" and her acting was too broad. This was her worst week (in my mind).

Rod Man won because he was the best one for the job. He could feel it too, you could tell he was very comfortable during the show. Yay Rod! Go Team!

As soon as they called Nikki being safe, I said to my SO, "they couldn't make up their minds (again) and they are going to put all three through to the final round. What the heck are these judges being paid for?"

Lachlan was at his best last night by far. "World class comedy" was right. He "wanted it" more than ever before.

The same couldn't be said about Rod Man and Nikki. Rod Man's second set was great, but his first could have been better. Nikki's only good set of the show was "Jason?"

The judge saying that he thought Rod Man was saying "coin" through the whole routine and still laughed says everything you need to know about Rod Man - he's a genuinely funny guy, that gets laughs from his presentation more so than the strength of his material.

I'm not upset that Rod Man won, and he certainly deserved it, but I think Lachlan won it based on last night alone. (We did get a glimpse of the judges saying they needed to look at the whole competition, not just those sets. Which is fair.)

Wasn't too impressed with Roseanne's stuff, and some of it fell on the wrong side of the gross-acceptable line. Russell Peters was pretty good. I liked Alingon Mitra from the start, and wish he had made it further. 

No idea what Roseanne said when they bleeped her out. Wish they would release more of the judge discussions online!

I thought Lachlan was the funniest tonight, but I'm good with Rod Man winning. 

Does anybody know what Roseann's bleeped statement was when she said she was gonna be the bitch?

Lachlan was the best he's been all season. Especially that first set, which was all on a single topic (TV) and relatable without being old or cliche. If he'd been that good all through the series it would have been a lot tougher.  But he did prove that he'd earned a top 3 spot.

And after watching that section like 10 times, both the bleeps and the conversation they were having around it, I think Roseanne said "Fuck Lachlan".  And the context that makes sense is that they all agreed Lachlan had the best set of the night but Rod Man was the best over the season.  And the debate was which is more important.  Russell seemed like he wanted to reward the best set of the night, while Roseanne and Keenan wanted to reward all 12 weeks. That's just me guessing and the conversation was not just bleeped, but chopped up.  But that's the best interpretation I can get of the evidence.

This may seem like nitpicking, but I think Nikki should rephrase her "athlete's foot" joke so that "athletic body" is the last words in the punchline.  It's a really clever joke, but I got there like a second before she finished talking and that ruined the rhythm for me.  I would write it more like this "The doctor said I got Athlete's Foot because I don't dry off my feet when I get out of the shower. But I know that's a lie! I don't dry off at all but nobody ever says I've got an Athlete's Body!"  Tiny nuance, but phrasing matters when you want optimal audience reaction.

Both judges had fine sets.  Roseanne seems out of practice though. Her timing and delivery were just a bit off, like she wasn't quite ready for the audience to react at the times it did.  Not a problem, just something she'd probably improve on if she did that set a couple dozen times.

• Love 2

The only other Nikki joke other than "Jason" that I liked the entire season was when she was a tour guide, and they came to the destruction set with the crashed plane and she said, "This set cost $200,000, but I know 7 brothas they could have paid $45 each to do the same thing."

Lachaln over and over reminded me of Jerry Seinfeld last night.  Why does he wear such freakin' ugly shirts?  Is he trying to downplay his handsomeness?

Yep, everything RodMan says is funny, whether it is or not.  "Outdoor corn" is not at all funny, but his delivery on everything is so charming.

The judge saying that he thought Rod Man was saying "coin" through the whole routine and still laughed says everything you need to know about Rod Man - he's a genuinely funny guy, that gets laughs from his presentation more so than the strength of his material.

When Keenen said that, I wondered if he didn't realize once Rod said "corn on the cob," that he was, indeed, talking about corn. 

I didn't necessarily dislike Nikki throughout the competition, but I didn't think she was a strong enough comic to make the final 3. And I really thought she bombed last night. The athlete's feet material is really old and tired. Although I understood why Machi was sent packing, I would have loved to have seen what he'd have done during a final set; I think he'd have done way better than Nikki did.

I was glad Rod won, as I think he was the best of the bunch all season long. I didn't think he was at his strongest either, but I laughed at the his material about Mexican culture because when I moved from PA to AZ that was one of the things I had to get used to. I have people coming to my door to sell me tamales and there's a corn truck that comes by periodically, and I don't even live in a predominantly-Mexican neighborhood. I can also relate to the bit about them not sleeping, although my across-the-street neighbors are nice and do turn down the music if I ask them to. They really do seem to have an endless supply of energy; I'm jealous of that.

I liked Lachlan last night for the first time in a while. But I think he had such a weak set last week that I'm not sure anything he could have done this week would have gotten him the win. 

• Love 1

Lachaln over and over reminded me of Jerry Seinfeld last night.  Why does he wear such freakin' ugly shirts?  Is he trying to downplay his handsomeness?

Whomever the wardrobe person is this season (James, I guess) does have an odd sense of what he wants to put on stage. Lachlan tweeted after his head to head with DC that he didn't pick the outfit. Alingon had quite the ensemble going too with the jacket and hoodie. And man has he enjoyed putting the black male comics in those leather/vinyl t-shirts.

At any rate, I saw the "all three advance" coming from a ways out with the whole "something never before seen" tag, still I got a bit sick when Nikki was the first one announced. Her best stuff was in the roast and universal tour, which tells me she really needs to work on her material (like I said last week, putting in some pacing material would be good too). The longer set, and performing two sets so close to one another tonight exposed her weakness. Her personality can deliver a high energy first bit, but it's too much for an hour long set. I think she'll harness it, she's got as much drive as any comedian I've seen.

Since Roesanne had the sparkly eye make-up/wardrobe she was sporting in her interviews during the Special they ran over July 4th weekend, I'm guessing the whole finale was shot in LA back in early June. The studio show probably had all the previous comedians, including the ones selected from the finals for the first comeback challenge, performing. Which is why Nick Guerra was there as well. I imagine they were all introduced to the studio audience as the "winner" of the comeback challenge. All told that was probably 13 or so 3 minute sets from the eliminated comedians, 2 5+ minute sets from each of the three finalists and Russell and Roseanne's bits, it would have been good if we got a bit more of the material from the other eliminated comedians instead of all the set up filler, but I guess you don't want your eliminated contests upstaging your finalists.

I saw some people mention over the past two weeks that they didn't know much about Russell before tonight's show. He didn't do a great set, but his albums are good, though it is mostly cultural humor as he hinted at in the first episode. I know he hasn't made a huge dent in the states but in Canada and England the guy does a good turn. According to Forbes he was the 3rd highest earning stand-up comedian last year.

• Love 2

Eh, I got really tired of Rod Man's schtick towards the end. I expect him to fade away into obscurity the way the last three winners have.

And Russell Peters isn't all that funny. I've heard some of his sets before and his material is pretty weak.

I saw some people mention over the past two weeks that they didn't know much about Russell before tonight's show. He didn't do a great set, but his albums are good, though it is mostly cultural humor as he hinted at in the first episode. I know he hasn't made a huge dent in the states but in Canada and England the guy does a good turn. According to Forbes he was the 3rd highest earning stand-up comedian last year.

I've been surprised too that some have said they didn't know Russell. Yes he's originally from Toronto, but he's been living and doing television in LA for years. I think if you tune into Comedy Central occasionally you'd be bound to encounter him on one of his specials or the shows he hosts / produces. And he's well known in the industry or he wouldn't have been selected as a judge. But I do agree that while he can be very funny, he almost exclusively ploughs the field of race, or more accurately, ethnicity. His specialty is doing crowd work where he picks out people in the audience to talk to, choosing them one by one according to their background. He's one of the pioneers of referring to himself as brown, and to everyone else by their ethnicity (we saw some of that in his set tonight), irreverently but always in a friendly and respectful way, and people love him for it.

I also was as confused as Keenan at points during Rod Man's set (corn/coin and Funyuns/fungus), but it didn't really matter, he had me anyway. I wonder if that's partly why he repeats everything - maybe he's been told to because his way of speaking causes people to miss what he's saying the first time.

• Love 1

Funny thing is, I rarely watch Comedy Central, which is why I didn't know Russell before this show.  I check out the channel from time to time, but I rarely see comics; it's usually a stupid movie or TV series. 

Keenan didn't have a set . . . just Roseanne and Russell.

Keenan's time as a standup was brief.  And decades ago.

Rod Man won because he was the best one for the job. He could feel it too, you could tell he was very comfortable during the show. Yay Rod! Go Team!

My only thing is that they de-legitimized his victory a bit by having no final public vote (which he 100% would have won anyway).

That said, I'm sure he mainly cares about the money and the publicity, so maybe it's no big deal.

*sigh* Still mad about Joe but I hope it's Rod Man. I could take or leave the other two. 

They even admitted he had the funniest joke of the series!

I was howling at the corn cart bit, too, even though I'd never heard of one before.  (Actually, I start howling as soon as he walks out on the stage.)  At one point he mentioned something about a bag of "funchies" or something?  I couldn't understand what he was saying but I was laughing anyway.

I had no problem getting "corn" from "cohn" (that's how it sounded to me), but had a bit more trouble with "funyuns" from whatever the heck he actually said for that. So I thought the bit was about corn and fungus, which actually made me think of corn smut (look it up, but it's also called "Huitlacoche" or "Cuitlacoche"--and its a corn fungus sold by Mexicans... to eat).

253-242x300.jpgcorn-smut-aka-huitlacoche-big.jpg

Edited by Kromm

My only thing is that they de-legitimized his victory a bit by having no final public vote (which he 100% would have won anyway).

Not having the public vote at all was a big plus for me, and part of the reason I decided to watch this season.  I love the American people; I served six years in the Army to help protect them, so I'm not anti-American. But they vote horribly. It's largely why I stopped watching The Voice (at least once the public starts voting) and American Idol. I don't trust the public any more than Wanda Sykes does!

• Love 4

Can someone explain Nikki's joke, "I just kick the door open. What up, doc? I started at the bottom, now I'm here." I laughed when she first introduced the idea, starting on the bottom with her feet and working her way up, but why does that second part get another laugh?

I liked Urine Luck.

Loved, "Congratulations, the following program may include nudity."

Edited by hoodooznoodooz

I've been rooting for Rod Man to win for most of the season, but damn if Lachlan didn't make me switch my allegiance last night! I've always liked him too, since the first vote when he went into the booth with a joke and I think he definitely had the best sets last night. For the first time, I found it really hard to follow Rod Man.

So I'm happy Rod Man won, but also would have been happy with Lachlan. And I liked his answer to what he would do with the money. A rare serious moment from him.

This was my first season, starting watching on a whim but immediately got hooked. I'll be back next season no matter what, but can we keep Roseanne and get rid of Keenan?

I started at the bottom, now I'm here

Well, it had two parts. She started out going to the foot doctor and ended at the psychiatrist. That's the first part but obviously isn't much of a joke. 

But Drake has song lyrics saying he started from the bottom (of the fame game) and now he's one of the biggest rappers on the planet. "Started from the bottom, now we're here."

It wasn't funny. You didn't miss the joke. 

• Love 1

I liked Lachlan all season but he lost me in the last (second to last? I forget) set with the drunk driving joke. I might have a stick up my ass, but that's just never funny to me, and too serious a problem that too many people take too lightly. To me, you have to be reallllllllly funny and clever with your writing to get away with something in poor taste. That one didn't, for me.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

I have had the good fortune of seeing Russell Peters perform live and he was hilarious.  Most of the stuff he said then would probably be considered too politically incorrect to be on a broadcast tv.  Politically incorrect in that he makes fun of different ethnicities and cultures, but he makes fun of all of them equally, and did it without being degrading, so it was good (I went with a rather diverse group and we all thought it was hilarious)

This may seem like nitpicking, but I think Nikki should rephrase her "athlete's foot" joke so that "athletic body" is the last words in the punchline.  It's a really clever joke, but I got there like a second before she finished talking and that ruined the rhythm for me.  I would write it more like this "The doctor said I got Athlete's Foot because I don't dry off my feet when I get out of the shower. But I know that's a lie! I don't dry off at all but nobody ever says I've got an Athlete's Body!"  Tiny nuance, but phrasing matters when you want optimal audience reaction.

That sums up the problem I have had with Nikki the whole series - About half the time, I know the punch line before she says it, and the other half the time, her punch lines aren't funny to me.  

• Love 1

My husband and I were staunch Rod Man followers, but we both decided toward the end that Lachlan would be a good winner as well.  The husband liked Nikki more than I did (I think she did well at the roast and occasionally had other funny bits, but I still don't think she was a top 3 because she was so SHOUTY....then again, I still don't get how someone as funny as Alignon Mitra didn't make the top 10).  Super impressed that Nikki's going to be 52, though.  For real, what?  I thought she was late 30's tops. 

When they did the fake top two, we were trying to justify the decision as "well, Lachlan could totally carry some random NBC sitcom, but Nikki?  She's already had a sitcom called Good Times."  Yeah, yeah, old joke.  Still, I can't see her being funny outside of stand-up.

When they did the fake top two, we were trying to justify the decision as "well, Lachlan could totally carry some random NBC sitcom, but Nikki?  She's already had a sitcom called Good Times."  Yeah, yeah, old joke.  

Not to mention it was used in the Roast too!

My husband and I were staunch Rod Man followers, but we both decided toward the end that Lachlan would be a good winner as well. 

I thought his last sets were the only really good ones he had since his audition set.  Which says that he can slay with great material, but that his storehouse of great material wasn't that big.

In contrast, I think Rod showed that he could make even his weaker material pretty funny.  He was very consistent, because 3/4 of his funny comes from his delivery.

• Love 2

Well, it had two parts. She started out going to the foot doctor and ended at the psychiatrist. That's the first part but obviously isn't much of a joke.

But Drake has song lyrics saying he started from the bottom (of the fame game) and now he's one of the biggest rappers on the planet. "Started from the bottom, now we're here."

It wasn't funny. You didn't miss the joke.

Thank you, BoogieBurns. Your explanation is great. I guess I was confused as to why the audience laughed twice.

I liked the joke: "Don't you hate when someone uses a word that you don't know? Like, the other night, I was talking to this beautiful woman-- so already, you know this is a fake joke..."

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 2
  Lachaln over and over reminded me of Jerry Seinfeld last night.

If you get a chance to rewatch Lachlan's bits close your eyes.  You will be amazed by how his voice sounds exactly like Seinfeld's.

Happy for Rod Man and hope he can make something of the opportunity (and that his mom doesn't take all his cash).  The tamale bit was really funny - I don't live in SoCal but we have 'tamale ladies' up here too.  It's always so random when they show up.  His use of words is disarmingly clever.  It's hard to see how his style translates to existing formats, but that could be a really good thing with some imagination and the willingness of NBC to take a risk.

I hope to see Joe again somewhere too.  At the very least, he should be writing for tv.

That was one helluva blinding white suit that Rod Man had on.

I went on the LCS website and saw the tour places and dates, but do all the top 10 perform?  I saw on another site that Lachlan is in Nashville this weekend.  It goes without saying that I'd love to see Rod Man but I wonder if he's too busy with the development deal to be performing anywhere in the near future.  

I went on the LCS website and saw the tour places and dates, but do all the top 10 perform?  I saw on another site that Lachlan is in Nashville this weekend.  It goes without saying that I'd love to see Rod Man but I wonder if he's too busy with the development deal to be performing anywhere in the near future.  

Top 5.  It's not unheard of for them to do different groupings after that initial tour for their own benefit. (For example I saw Alonzo, Iliza, and Jon Heffron perform together on a "LCS Winners Tour".)  But the official tour after the season is the top 5, so Rod Man, Nikki, Lachlan, Machi, and Rocky will all be going.

Edited by Amarsir

They even admitted he had the funniest joke of the series!

Oh, that wasn't lost on me either! I also really liked his John Lennon "Imagine" joke.

If you get a chance to rewatch Lachlan's bits close your eyes.  You will be amazed by how his voice sounds exactly like Seinfeld's.

I hope to see Joe again somewhere too.  At the very least, he should be writing for tv.

Yes, I'd heard it mentioned before but really really noticed the Seinfeld thing the final night.

And yes, I hope to see Joe again too. 

OK, thanks.  Unfortunately, they won't be coming anyplace near me.  Or maybe I could drive up to Atlantic City to the Golden Nugget because I'm pretty sure they could use the business.