Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Point and Shoot

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bannon said:

Kind of disagree here. The more eyes there on this, the more likely it would be (this wouldn't be a case of the FBI bigfooting q local investigation, it would be a case of a city police dept. getting access to FBI resources) that somebody thinks to confirm what drugs Howard was abusing, if any, and asks Howard's wife for access to his hair brush. Shortly thereafter, it's learned that Howard wasn't abusing drugs. The thread get pulled, and more things unravel.

There are absolutely threads there to be pulled. But is there enough evidence for a judge to grant warrants? 

I don't think the FBI will close Howard's case, but I can see it going cold.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Starchild said:

There are absolutely threads there to be pulled. But is there enough evidence for a judge to grant warrants? 

I don't think the FBI will close Howard's case, but I can see it going cold.

You don't need warrants if people cooperate, like Howard's wife turning over his hairbrush, which would reveal he wasn't using drugs. Even without that, just the public knowledge of the antipathy between Howard, and Jimmy/Kim would likely be enough to get a phone dump of Kim and Jimmy's phones. Cliff's going to be interviewed, and he has seen many odd things.

Somebody like Howard simply has too many people, with influence and resources, who are motivated to get more information about what happened, to just let things lie. This isn't like Badger or Skinny Pete with a presumed suicide and no body.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

If the cops fail to pursue it as a murder, Howard's case would still be red meat for the multitude of true crime shows and podcasts,  Unless we're supposed to believe that Dateline, 20/20, Cold Justice, Disappeared, Suspicion, Dead of Night, Highway to Hell, Secrets and Lies, In Pursuit,  and countless others don't exist in this universe, Howard will live on as a very mysterious disappearance.   I can almost hear Keith Morrison sarcastically questioning the timing of the refrigerator removal.

Most of these shows don't actually do much investigating of their own, but they do help keep a spotlight on cold cases.

Edited by Razzberry
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

ah thanks, I missed the Jimmy seeing the fridge part scene.

interesting all the suicide talk. so question, in cases where it appears a person offed themself at sea (say coked up and walked out into the ocean), what steps are taken? is there any bother searching in the water, other than keeping an eye on the shoreline to see if they wash up? i know for lakes/ponds they dive to search for bodies.   

and a darkly morbid thought came to me on the opening shot of the beach - the best way to dispose of a body, rent a small plane and pilot (or boat), have him/her fly you out over the ocean, drop the body a few miles offshore. no chance of recovery and no chance of being dug up. no worrying about wiping down the body and removing personal items. AND said procedure can be used over and over again. (NO i am not a Dexter.)

Edited by Colorado David
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Bannon said:

One possible path is that Gus decides Kim knows too much, and has to go, and for Mike that's a bridge too far, and he introduces her to the wonderful world of vacuum repair, while telling Gus that her body has been disposed of.

Who would pay that fee?

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Mike irritated me so much!  Why can't he say the words, "Lalo is dead?"  Why do guys like Mike always have to be cryptic?  "Lalo's not coming back," could just mean not coming back tonight, but Mike would always choose coolness over clarity.  

He had to help cover Saul in BB asking "Lalo??!!" when he thought he was about to die from the kidnappers

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Penman61 said:

In those situations, some people "look" like they're under-reacting: no screaming, no rending of garments, no hair-tearing-out. But their affect is like a stunned animal, almost catatonic, robotic. They are in shock.

See that's what would have seemed more realistic to me.  Much more stunned shock and far less flailing and clinging to each other.  Kim, in particular has always had a stoic outer manner under stress, and I would have expected this written character to be an extreme version of what we've seen before. She and Jimmy were clinging to each other like Lucy and Desi in a haunted house.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Bannon said:

You don't need warrants if people cooperate, like Howard's wife turning over his hairbrush, which would reveal he wasn't using drugs. Even without that, just the public knowledge of the antipathy between Howard, and Jimmy/Kim would likely be enough to get a phone dump of Kim and Jimmy's phones. Cliff's going to be interviewed, and he has seen many odd things.

Somebody like Howard simply has too many people, with influence and resources, who are motivated to get more information about what happened, to just let things lie. This isn't like Badger or Skinny Pete with a presumed suicide and no body.

How long would one or two hits of coke last in hair? Howard's addiction may be recent. It's intermittent. He may use it rarely and not again for several weeks. They get his hairbrush. How long as the hair been there? If the hairs from weeks ago, it may not show any trace of drug use if the drug use is intermittent and recent. An occasional very light user with mental health issues abuses massive amounts and he goes over the edge. Not finding evidence of drug use in the hair is not a ticking gun. 

It would be suspicious but you need evidence to convict someone. And if they do suspect someone, it will be Kim. She's the one most affected by Howard's death.  

17 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

See that's what would have seemed more realistic to me.  Much more stunned shock and far less flailing and clinging to each other.  Kim, in particular has always had a stoic outer manner under stress, and I would have expected this written character to be an extreme version of what we've seen before. She and Jimmy were clinging to each other like Lucy and Desi in a haunted house.

You don't know how people will react. I always thought that Kim was very tightly wound. Very under control. Some people will clamp down on their emotions and some will be overwhelmed by something like this. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Bannon said:

(we can now say Kim likely owns a condo, and is not renting; swapoing out refrigerators in a rental would be a giveaway)

Good point. I was wondering whether to call it an apartment or a condo.

BTW, I also wondered about Mike knowing that J&K were setting up Howard with the drug user story. I figure that Jimmy must have told him betw the time Mike saw Howard's dead body and getting rid of said body. I suppose Mike simply asked (off camera) who the guy was. He didn't know before hand, did he?

3 minutes ago, scenario said:

You don't know how people will react. I always thought that Kim was very tightly wound. Very under control. Some people will clamp down on their emotions and some will be overwhelmed by something like this. 

Also, it depends on what they're dealing with there. In this case there's Howard's death, but they also have good reason to think Lalo's going to kill them. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Bannon said:

It's many years ago now but when the Boston Celtics were thinking about drafting Len Bias, they gave him a complete physical including a blood test to test for drug use. He passed with flying colors. A month later he was dead of a drug overdose. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

I don’t think it is officially ruled as a suicide if no body is found. As for “no evidence of foul play” — how can that be officially determined with no body?  

If they found the Namast3 mobile with blood all over ,or body parts, that would be "evidence of foul play". An abandoned car with the wallet, keys, and a wedding ring does not say robbery , murder, or car jacking, just depression, and a towing charge. Disappearing is not evidence of a crime; he's not out on $7m bail.

• Love 4

Better Call Saul is back for its final run and with Vince Gilligan himself in the director's chair this go around, you just knew things were going to go down!

Ah, Lalo!  To quote another great show, "If you come at the king, you best not miss!"  Or, in your case, if you've got the king at gunpoint, maybe just finish him instead of dragging things out and making a show of it.  But it is fitting that Lalo's smugness would play into his downfall and it was satisfying watching Gus be the one to do it.  And, in typical Gus fashion, he made sure to wait until Lalo's last breath before he himself collapsed due to his own gunshot wound.  He's always about keeping that image up!  Also fun watching him get to really say what he thinks about Don Eladio and the rest.  Although hearing him once again talk about how he will enjoy keeping Hector alive until the end is just some delicious irony knowing how all of that blows up in his face.

Poor Howard.  Not only is he dead and his reputation has taken a hit (admittedly not quite as bad as the first part!), his corpse is basically dumped alongside Lalo's underneath the soon to be drug lab.  To add insult to that injury, Mike is basically going to run with Jimmy and Kim's con and stage things to make it look like he went on a coke binge and committed suicide in California.  Really hope his name gets cleared by the end of this, because it's just sad seeing how things are currently playing out for him right now.

Jimmy and Kim might both be in one piece for now, but I'm curious to see how this will go for them going forward.  They are clearly still in shock and feel guilt over the parts they played here, but will they be able to move past it?  Obviously, we know how Jimmy will turn out, but there are several ways things can turn out for Kim.

Lyle really is the best employee any Los Pollos Hermanos could have!

Gus' ears definitely perked up when he heard Jimmy was able to convince Lalo to send Kim instead of himself.  Thinking this is the beginning of Jimmy being on Gus' radar even more.  Also wondering about Kim, since he now knows who she is and what she is capable of.

With the Lalo threat already put to bed, I'm really curious to see how these last five episodes will play out.  Can't wait!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, scenario said:

How long would one or two hits of coke last in hair? Howard's addiction may be recent. It's intermittent. He may use it rarely and not again for several weeks. They get his hairbrush. How long as the hair been there? If the hairs from weeks ago, it may not show any trace of drug use if the drug use is intermittent and recent. An occasional very light user with mental health issues abuses massive amounts and he goes over the edge. Not finding evidence of drug use in the hair is not a ticking gun. 

It would be suspicious but you need evidence to convict someone. And if they do suspect someone, it will be Kim. She's the one most affected by Howard's death.  

You don't get the behavior that Saul and Kim were trying to suggest with Howard via intermittant use. Cocaine will show up in follicles about 3 months after the fact. If sombody's follicles in a hair brush don't show any drugs, it's extremely unlikely they were using in the weeks and days leading up to their disappearance. Frankly, any follicles in the Jag dusted with coke would likely be tested too, for somebody like Howard. It's just not very likely the drug abuser story would hold up. Successfully staging suicides of affluent, prominent, people is hard

8 minutes ago, scenario said:

It's many years ago now but when the Boston Celtics were thinking about drafting Len Bias, they gave him a complete physical including a blood test to test for drug use. He passed with flying colors. A month later he was dead of a drug overdose. 

Blood tests arent like testing hair follicles, and nobody was claiming that Len Bias was engaged in a pattern of erratic behavior due to drug use.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Bannon said:

t would take years to have Howard simply legally declared dead, and without a body, you're right, there'd never be an official specific cause of death.

Only maybe HHM or his beneficiary, have a vested interest in some determination of death by the insurance company before 7 years. The insurance co. might be the only one seeking Howard's body in the ocean.  You can't charge murder without a body or DNA.

Police don't solve murders or disappearances; only in Forensic Files or CSI.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I suppose Mike simply asked (off camera) who the guy was. He didn't know before hand, did he?

Mike explained to Kim that his guys saw their shenanigans with Howard & the P.I. It's why she blurted out 'I thought you were watching us!".

• Love 4
1 hour ago, anoninrva said:

It's worth pointing out that the lab is still under construction here, but by Breaking Bad, is fully built, with flooring, etc.  

By Season 2 of Breaking Bad, it's done. For all we know, we're in S1 of the BB universe. Saul doesn't even meet Walter until the latter half of S2. I have a feeling we're going to meet Walt before the end of this series, which would plant us firmly in S1 of BB, barring some time hopping. Perhaps Howard's disappearance is being overshadowed by the mysterious explosion at Tuco's meth den by a shard of mercury fulminate. ;)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, monagatuna said:

By Season 2 of Breaking Bad, it's done. For all we know, we're in S1 of the BB universe. Saul doesn't even meet Walter until the latter half of S2. I have a feeling we're going to meet Walt before the end of this series, which would plant us firmly in S1 of BB, barring some time hopping. Perhaps Howard's disappearance is being overshadowed by the mysterious explosion at Tuco's meth den by a shard of mercury fulminate. ;)

We have not seen Tuco released from prison yet. Lalo's gone, so the Salamanca clan is rudderless until Tuco is out. Of course, Tuco's a drug-addled meathead, so being rudderless may not be the worst thing...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
Just now, Bannon said:

We have not seen Tuco released from prison yet. Lalo's gone, so the Salamanca clan is rudderless until Tuco is out. Of course, Tuco's a drug-addled meathead, so being rudderless may not be the worst thing...

I completely forgot Tuco's in prison at this point. You raise a point that makes me wonder: why not the cousins? They're so stoic and grave. I wonder if either/both of them would be better choices to run a drug business than Tuco or even Lalo (who, while cunning, is still a bit of a loose cannon).

• Love 1

I do wonder how the cousins are kept on the leash, once it becomes apparent Lalo is gone. Now that I think about it, do they even know he survived the death sqaud sent to Lalo's compound?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

Fair enough.  My point was just that, as far as we know, this is below several feet of construction and has no real reason to ever be excavated.  I don't think Tuco's gang is the type to involve law enforcement, and it's possible that nothing ever happens after the explosion there.  I think an AC unit gets knocked down to the street?

I disagree about Walt.  I don't see any good reason for a cameo for him or Jesse, but I guess the writers could surprise me again.  I could see Kim and Saul breaking up over the drama they've caused.

1 minute ago, Bannon said:

It's still mid-2004 in the Better Call Saul timeline. Breaking Bad doesn't kick off till mid-2008.

But speaking of rudderless, one thing I thought about today is that Krazy-8 is still one of the local leaders of the Salamanca operation, but thanks to Lalo he's now also a government informant. And without Lalo around to tell him who it's OK to rat out, how's he going to keep Hank happy?

I wonder if this is how he turns toward the darker character he was in Breaking Bad, forced to make cynical choices on his own about who to betray, which will eventually end with him selling out his own cousin and Jesse to the DEA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Gus' ears definitely perked up when he heard Jimmy was able to convince Lalo to send Kim instead of himself.  Thinking this is the beginning of Jimmy being on Gus' radar even more.  Also wondering about Kim, since he now knows who she is and what she is capable of.

At first I thought Gus' reaction was about being impressed with Jimmy's gift of gab, but I figured once he took off that it was a realization that the typically meticulous Lalo didn't care who came to kill him, so it was not the main plan. The main plan was diverting resources so he could go to the laundry and find the lab.

5 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

why not the cousins? They're so stoic and grave. I wonder if either/both of them would be better choices to run a drug business than Tuco or even Lalo (who, while cunning, is still a bit of a loose cannon).

I haven't seen any evidence that management is in their skillsets lol

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I haven't seen any evidence that management is in their skillsets lol

I dunno, every HR department needs to have people skilled at, um, er...rightsizing the work force...

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4

My hypothesis about Kim.

Kim is a total emotional wreck after this. Jimmy goes to work and acts normally. Kim acts scatterbrained. When the police find Howards car they call. Jimmy plays his part perfectly. Kim comes across as evasive. The police focus in on Kim. They look into her past and find a whole bunch of juvenile arrest for scams she did with her mother. They look more and find some evidence.

The police put out an arrest warrant for her. Presumed armed and dangerous. She pulls into her parking space. The police yell, "You're under arrest. Come out with your hands up." She gets out of the car with her hands up. She see's Jimmy in the window and yells "Jimmy!" All 6 cops open up and shoot her to death. One officer walks over and drops a gun next to her. All 6 cops testify that she resisted arrest and they shot her in self defense. No one believes Jimmy or the other witness who was black/drunk/foreign/a vagrant, etc. 

Jimmy puts on the news and its "Suspected murderer Kim Wexler was killed by the police while resisting arrest." The news digs in more and finds all about her criminal past. She gets some sort of nickname probably involving the fact that she's blond. 

Saul just decides there is no justice and blames Kim for everything. He's the victim here. And from then on he's all for himself. Kim trusted the law and what did that get her. 

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

If they found the Namast3 mobile with blood all over ,or body parts, that would be "evidence of foul play". An abandoned car with the wallet, keys, and a wedding ring does not say robbery , murder, or car jacking, just depression, and a towing charge. Disappearing is not evidence of a crime; he's not out on $7m bail.

Right, I don’t disagree that on the appearance of everything, there is not evidence of murder. However, I was talking about officially ruling Howard’s disappearance a suicide—not about whether he could eventually be declared presumed dead (by any means) for insurance purposes. 
As a viewer, I would want at least some questions from authorities and some emotional fallout to occur for the Goodmans regarding Howard’s disappearance because at this point, that’s the part of the story that is the most interesting to me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Penman61 said:

I thought Odenkirk and Seehorn's acting in this ep was spot-on. Most of us are probably fortunate enough to not have a lot of first- or second-hand experience with their specific kind of trauma--watching someone die brutally and unexpectedly--but their reactions rang true to me. In those situations, some people "look" like they're under-reacting: no screaming, no rending of garments, no hair-tearing-out. But their affect is like a stunned animal, almost catatonic, robotic. They are in shock. And they go through observable stages, though not in the order the next person might, or even in the same stages, but you can see them change, minute-to-minute, as their own brain begins to wrap around and absorb what they just saw. It's actually heart-breaking because it's really unlike anything else. I thought Seehorn and Odenkirk captured that, imho.

Yes. This is on point. Everybody reacts differently to serious stress.

P.S.

MY NECK HURTS

• Like 1

You can walk into the ocean and drown yourself, but your body or some parts will wash up on shore just like Howard's shoes.   To escape this you'd need to swim a long ways out, further than anyone committing suicide would be motivated to do.  Doesn't wash.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

You can walk into the ocean and drown yourself, but your body or some parts will wash up on shore just like Howard's shoes.   To escape this you'd need to swim a long ways out, further than anyone committing suicide would be motivated to do.  Doesn't wash.

It depends on the currents. Some places bring things to shore. Some currents pull people out to sea. They drove hundreds of miles to get to the ocean. There's no reason they couldn't have chosen a place where bodies would get pulled out to sea. 

In 1982, a plane slid off the runway in Logan Airport in Boston Ma. into the ocean. The nose of the plane broke off and two passengers fell into the ocean a few feet off shore. Their bodies where never found. 

Sometimes it happens. 

Also it would be just like Howard to take his shoes off before going swimming and leave them on the shore. 

Edited by scenario
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Mike explained to Kim that his guys saw their shenanigans with Howard & the P.I. It's why she blurted out 'I thought you were watching us!".

Thanks. I missed that.

23 minutes ago, scenario said:

It depends on the currents. Some places bring things to shore. Some currents pull people out to sea. They drove hundreds of miles to get to the ocean. There's no reason they couldn't have chosen a place where bodies would get pulled out to sea. 

In 1982, a plane slid off the runway in Logan Airport in Boston Ma. into the ocean. The nose of the plane broke off and two passengers fell into the ocean a few feet off shore. Their bodies where never found. 

Sometimes it happens. 

Sure, but mostly it doesn't, at least in California where I SCUBA dive. Maybe in Boston, I don't know.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I had an entirely different understanding of that moment. Gus knows Lalo well enough that Lalo's willingness to change, on a whim, a part of his stated plan to assassinate Gus meant the plan actually was not to assassinate Gus; also Lalo knew damn well that Gus wouldn't answer the door. Lalo was playing a different game. And for Lalo and Gus, all roads lead to the super lab.

I do agree that she's on Gus's radar now. He'll either use her or kill her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, anoninrva said:

I think because he was preparing to confront Lalo.

My friend, wife and I had a whole conversation about the ties. Previously we saw, very pointedly, Gus wearing clip-on ties, possibly to avoid being strangled on his own clothing. Here, we see him wearing a regular tie, which he very pointedly removes before going to where he thinks Lalo is, possibly for the same reason? Was it because he was among his own people, at home and presumably safe, that he felt comfortable wearing a standard tie? Why have both? (My assumption is that his meticulous nature demands a standard tie, but the clip-ons are a necessary evil when he's in public.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

My friend, wife and I had a whole conversation about the ties. Previously we saw, very pointedly, Gus wearing clip-on ties, possibly to avoid being strangled on his own clothing. Here, we see him wearing a regular tie, which he very pointedly removes before going to where he thinks Lalo is, possibly for the same reason? Was it because he was among his own people, at home and presumably safe, that he felt comfortable wearing a standard tie? Why have both? (My assumption is that his meticulous nature demands a standard tie, but the clip-ons are a necessary evil when he's in public.)

It's been a very long time since I've worked fast food, and I was never management track, but it's possible that may have been a uniform thing at Polos Hermanos.  It would make sense that safety 101 and full neckties may not reconcile.  Clip-ons would be safer in an accident.  Still, that's pure, 100% speculation.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

Sure, but mostly it doesn't, at least in California where I SCUBA dive. Maybe in Boston, I don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Harold_Holt

1967 The Prime Minister of Australia was swimming in the ocean near shore and just disappeared. His body was never found. 

If the Prime Minister of a fairly large country can just disappear while in office, I don't know why a lawyer couldn't. And did it have to be California. Could they have driven east and ended up in the gulf. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Razzberry said:

Surfside Beach on the Texas Gulf coast swimmers in waist deep water drown and are never found all the time because of the dangerous undertow. Also happens with California's Rip Currents people are sucked out to sea never to be seen again, especially bad at La Jolla Beach.

Edited by SimplexFish
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

One thing that seemed like a poor writing was Lalo's time he said to Gus...Lalo is forcing Gus down into the super lab and says "the bald man will be here in 13 mins". First that is a very specific timeframe and he sure seemed to be going at a leisurely pace with Gus and the filming knowing that a team of armed men about to confront him while he is in a basement with only one entrance/exit. 13 mins would come very quickly especially to finish what he was doing and still get out of the lab and off the property before they arrive. 

Edited by SimplexFish
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, SimplexFish said:

One thing that seemed like a poor writing was Lalo's time he said to Gus...Lalo is forcing Gus down into the super lab and says "the bald man will be here in 13 mins". First that is a very specific timeframe and he sure seemed to be going at a leisurely pace with Gus and the filming knowing that a team of armed men about to confront him while he is in a basement with only one entrance/exit. 13 mins would come very quickly especially to finish what he was doing and still get out of the lab and off the property before they arrive. 

Lalo thinks he's invulnerable and always the smartest guy in the room. He gets a kick out of waiting till the last second. He probably times the run when he drove from Jimmy's place several times so he knew how long it would take. 

He reminds me of someone whose been taking his own product and thinks he's superman. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Razzberry said:

They said on the insider podcast it was shot North of Malibu FWIW.

• Like 1

In terms of canon, Mike told J&K that the Namast3mobile would be found "several" states away.  

Whether California is "several" states away from New Mexico is up to the individual.  A lot of people consider it a completely separate country.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

In terms of canon, Mike told J&K that the Namast3mobile would be found "several" states away.  

Whether California is "several" states away from New Mexico is up to the individual.  A lot of people consider it a completely separate country.  

True. California touches Arizona so its two states to the west. Is two states several? It could be in the gulf so Texas or Mississippi. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1