Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Savage

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well, that was intense to put it mildly. I was no sooner thinking “I think I love Teak” and love him and Lil’Murda together when he shot himself in the head. Devastating because as Lil’Murda tried to convince him, there were things to live for but sometimes the dark and the pain are just too much. The hole is too deep. I love that one of Teak’s last acts (before traumatizing him for life) was to remind Lil’Murda of his poetry and what it meant to him. I hope that Lil’Murda can come to terms and understand that Teak loved him but he just couldn’t live in the hole anymore and he never really left that closet. Teak might have survived but in ways he was murdered as surely as his siblings were. He just had to walk around a little longer. RIP Teak. May you truly know peace. Brilliant writing and acting because I feel like a real person just died. 

I really hope that Lil’Murda is too grief stricken to continue his relationship with Uncle Clifford right away. I know that is where he ran and that makes sense but Lil’Murda is sincere as played. He will be guilty and hurt for a while. 

Are Mercedes and Farrah going to have an affair? I read their dynamic entirely differently last episode. I was a little surprised that Coach caught on to the truth though. This will be interesting to watch. Terricka repeating history and family patterns is cliched as writing but true to life and soul. I wonder if Mercedes will get her a termination. 

Well. Keyshawn now knows where she stands and she is playing the part she needs to while looking for her escape. She is determined to escape too. I’m rooting for her even though the scales fully falling from her eyes combined with the need to propitiate Derrick must be damn near killing her. 

Of course Andre wants Autumn to crawl. Just sigh on that one. 

The writer is so brilliant. The situations are real and true to life but never feel like a cliche or a trope. Hats off and to the actresses and actors who bring these people to life. Should be remembered as outstanding American realism and neo-noir and I hope it is. 

Edited by AuntieMame
Because Terricka isn’t Terri Clark and cliched isn’t clutched. Damn autocorrect.
  • Love 8

Man, what an intense episode that left me emotionally drained. Throughout, I kept thinking to myself "Teak needs help and should be on somebody's couch". Lo and behold, sigh. RIP Teak. Poor Lil Murder. Both actors killed the entire show and that scene in particular. Kudos.

I have a feeling Big Bone is tied to Montavious. She looked awfully interested in his ring.

Autumn is a crafty one. Curious how next episode goes and if she really continues with this plan to sell the Pynk. Andre is just...ugh Andre.

I'm also surprised that Coach caught onto Farrah and Mercedes so quickly but, as he mentioned, he was well aware of love between women lol I'm mad Mercedes didn't grab her stack though. She has more than earned it. 

Shoot, Keyshawn. Just close your eyes and shoot. lol

Roulette gonna bring nothing but trouble.

They better not kill Earnestine. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Whew, this was tough to watch. I sense something was amiss with Big Teak, because he was very calm, peaceful--and even joyful throughout most of the episode and him letting Lil Murda go was writing on the wall. Despite Lil Murda's coaxing, his family trauma--which was horrific, years in solitary confinement and the inability to adjust to life outside of prison ;eft him broken to the point where he felt he was beyond repair. Now, I am worried for Lil Murda; I hope Uncle Clifford-- or someone can help him through this. 

Lil Murda admitting to Uncle Clifford that he was not okay is the most powerful scene in the entire episode. Men, specifically black men, internalize their problems and they are afraid to show their vulnerability for fear of  being perceived as "soft",  and that scene does a masterful job of relaying the message that is it's okay not to be okay. I love how this show allows men to be unapologetic with their vulnerability.

I was cheering for Keyshawn when was making her escape, only for my hopes to deflate when that POS disabled the car.  I hope he doesn't find that gun she hid in that pillow.

I find it interesting that Coach was in his feelings because Mercedes and Faith got hot and heavy during the threesome--when it was HIS idea in the first place. What did he expect to happen? He was neglectful and dismissive towards Faith, and she got her needs met with Mercedes. He should've kept it between the two of them. I am mad at Faith for not insisting that Coach pay Mercedes--at least give her partial compensation as the job was not completed. 

Shelle had some calling nerve her an unfit parent when she's in no position to care for Terrika herself--who ended up like pregnant the same age as Mercedes. 

Corbin gets on my nerves. I don't recall him having this energy last season when his half brothers were disrespecting him.  And why was Andre acting all brand new with Hailey at the event? 

Edited by sereion
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Dream Boy said:

Andre is just...ugh Andre.

I'm also surprised that Coach caught onto Farrah and Mercedes so quickly but, as he mentioned, he was well aware of love between women lol I'm mad Mercedes didn't grab her stack though. She has more than earned it. 

Roulette gonna bring nothing but trouble.

I liked Andre when they first introduced him outside the Pynk taking pictures and being human with Autumn. He seemed charming. The more we’ve gotten to know him though the more I’ve disliked him. Weak, whiney and worst of all not nearly as good at the game as he thinks he is. That spells disaster. 

Farrah did say to Coach that he shouldn’t go back on a deal. I agree, Mercedes definitely earned her stack and then some. I was surprised that Mercedes seems emotionally involved with Farrah. She didn’t play it that way during their last meeting. This should be interesting. Now she needs the money even more with Shelle out to lunch in various ways and Terricka pregnant and willing to come home. 

Does anyone know why the guy Roulette was with at the end said he’s a whore too? 

3 hours ago, sereion said:

Whew, this was tough to watch. I sense something was amiss with Big Teak, because he was very calm, peaceful--and even joyful throughout most of the episode and him letting Lil Murda go was writing on the wall. Despite Lil Murda's coaxing, his family trauma--which was horrific, years in solitary confinement broke him and the inability to adjust to life outside of prison broke him to the point where he felt he couldn't be repaired. 

Lil Murda admitting to Uncle Clifford that he was not okay is the most powerful scene in the entire episode. Men, specifically black men internalize their problems and are afraid to show their vulnerability for fear of  being perceived as "soft",  and that scene does a masterful job of relaying the message that is it's okay not to be okay. I just love how this show allows men to be show their vulnerability 

Corbin gets on my nerves. I don't recall him having this energy last season when his half brothers were disrespecting him.  And why was Andre acting all brand new with Hailey at the event? 

A resounding yes to everything you said about Teak and Lil’Murda. Teak’s last day and suicide and backstory were honestly some of the most emotionally involving stuff I’ve seen in a very long time. Because I understood why he did it. Yes, part of me wanted Lil’Murda to talk him out of it but I understood. They say everyone has their breaking point but it wasn’t the break it was the weight of trying to hold the broken pieces together. John Clarence Stewart deserves an Emmy nomination (and win but I would settle for the resume building credit of the nom if I was sure he’d get it) and so does Katori Hall for the writing. I know this is drawing on a lot of genre traditions but its breaking new ground too. I’m moving from smitten into besotted. 

I liked Corbin a lot better last season too. I loved the red headed bastard at a family reunion vibe. He was aggressive and angry from years of being the secret son but he didn’t have the whiny, entitled anger we’re seeing now. I thought he might be a real behind the scenes operator and that years of being dismissed might have given him restraint and judgment. Doesn’t look that way atm. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

John Clarence Smith deserves an Emmy nomination (and win but I would settle for the resume building credit of the nom if I was sure he’d get it) and so does Katori Hall for the writing. I know this is drawing on a lot of genre traditions but its breaking new ground too. I’m moving from smitten into besotted. 

Absolutely to both!!! I never heard of him was before his role as Big Teak, now I am officially a fan. Now, I want to check out his previous roles. This is definitely his breakthrough role, and I hope gets more work after this.

Katori never misses--she is a masterful storyteller. An Emmy would be a great and deserving addition to the Pulitzer she won a few years ago.

• Love 4

I don't know what to make of this episode. 

Teak's story was so tragic. He would never find peace.

Keyshawn still held prisoner by her abuser.

I don't know what to make of Andre and Autumn anymore. I find them both creepy. Individually and as a "couple."

• Love 3
2 hours ago, marceline said:

I don't know what to make of this episode. 

I don't know what to make of Andre and Autumn anymore. I find them both creepy. Individually and as a "couple."

Thank you! I started out liking the characters introduced but yes, now they’re both creepy and cringe. Perhaps they deserve each other, lol. Except that I can’t see Autumn putting up with such a man child in disguise for very long. 

Beyond the brilliant realism this episode set the high point for the darkness encroaching at least some of which will drive the dramatic tension over the next four episodes.

• Love 1

This was a great episode, but Mercedes leaving without the money seemed like such a false moment. I don't buy for a second that she'd be that dumb. That's the kind of thing that TV characters do, not people in real life.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I found this episode to be disjointed. Fantastic performances as always, but Big Teak's suicide came out of nowhere. Last episode, he was mad at Murda about Uncle Clifford, and now this week they're riding around laughing. I thought it was a flashback at first. It felt like we missed a scene of them reconciling before they spent the day together. 

While it was nice to see Tyler Lepley putting in work in the beginning of the episode, Diamond didn't need to be in this one. 

On 7/10/2022 at 1:21 PM, AuntieMame said:

Of course Andre wants Autumn to crawl. Just sigh on that one. 

Ugh, big sigh. I also thought that their sex scene was anticlimactic. There was all of this build up, it finally happens, and... meh. Farrah and Mercedes got down (no pun intended) better than that.

I'm not feeling Corbin, either. He seemed savvier last season. Now he's just a brat. Just as shitty as his brothers. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I’m catching up, but I echo all of what you spoke here. I too wanted Teak to make it, and what a wonderful performance by John Clarence Smith. 

When LaMarcus showed up on Uncle Clifford’s doorstep covered in blood, my heart broke for them all, Teak who’s heart couldn’t be mended, LaMarcus for survivors guilt, and Clifford for wanting to be the port in the storm although LaMarcus broke his heart. 

Yes, Hailey and Andre bore the fuck out of me. 

• Love 1
On 7/20/2022 at 12:04 PM, Sheenieb said:

While it was nice to see Tyler Lepley putting in work in the beginning of the episode, Diamond didn't need to be in this one. 

I think it was to show 1. The stuff with Montavious isn’t over, 2. he’s still hung up on KeyShawn (as well as the sex). 

• Like 1
On 7/13/2022 at 6:02 AM, Blakeston said:

This was a great episode, but Mercedes leaving without the money seemed like such a false moment. I don't buy for a second that she'd be that dumb. That's the kind of thing that TV characters do, not people in real life.

Yes. I thought Coach was boxing it up to give to her. Maybe Farrah will arrange to give her the payment (I am sure Farrah has some money at her disposal). 

I am not surprised by Coach’s reaction at all. It’s okay for him to fuck around, but not okay for Farrah. As long as they have been married he should know her better by now. Oh well. I don’t think this storyline is over though- Mercedes still needs her money for her gym. 

18 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m catching up, but I echo all of what you spoke here. I too wanted Teak to make it, and what a wonderful performance by John Clarence Smith. 

When LaMarcus showed up on Uncle Clifford’s doorstep covered in blood, my heart broke for them all, Teak who’s heart couldn’t be mended, LaMarcus for survivors guilt, and Clifford for wanting to be the port in the storm although LaMarcus broke his heart. 

(I’ve been bingeing the show on Prime.)

I used to watch Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist in which John Clarence Stewart was a lead. It’s a very different role. He did really great work in this sad, sad arc - when he was talking about his siblings, I thought (as someone else said), “He died that day.” When he said he was so tired, my heart broke for him. I just wanted to take him to therapy so he could at least have a shot at healing, but of course a Big Teak wouldn’t have those resources. 

When you mentioned survivor’s guilt, I also wondered if he might feel guilty for loving Uncle Clifford. I think he loved Big Teak but is IN love with Uncle Clifford, and I think Big Teak knew that, between the postcards and the way LaMarcus described Uncle Clifford. (I love funnel cake so when he said she was “like eating funnel cake once a year at the fair,” I was legit like “That is so romantic.”) You could see Big Teak realizing he’d lost something in that moment.

Just a heartbreaking but very well-done story.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

When you mentioned survivor’s guilt, I also wondered if he might feel guilty for loving Uncle Clifford. I think he loved Big Teak but is IN love with Uncle Clifford, and I think Big Teak knew that, between the postcards and the way LaMarcus described Uncle Clifford. (I love funnel cake so when he said she was “like eating funnel cake once a year at the fair,” I was legit like “That is so romantic.”) You could see Big Teak realizing he’d lost something in that moment.

Totally. 

Also- welcome! I figured this would be a show you’d like and we hadn’t see you in here. 

LaMarcus liked Teak, but he was in love with Uncle Clifford and Teak knew it. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also- welcome! I figured this would be a show you’d like and we hadn’t see you in here. 

I got rid of Starz when I moved a couple of months ago but added it on Prime recently. (I also binged the … fourth? iteration of Power, the one that centers around Tommy.) I’m cheap 😀 so I don’t know how long that’ll last, but at least I’ll get through this show. Katori Hall and I share an alma mater but didn’t know each other (different years).

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

LaMarcus liked Teak, but he was in love with Uncle Clifford and Teak knew it. 

I think that was the last thing Teak was holding onto and when he lost it, it was over. (I do think LaMarcus loved Teak - more than just liked him. But I think it was a platonic love. I love the people I consider my closest friends, but I’m not IN love with them.) But really, he died when his mother killed his siblings (that was HORRIBLE, what he described). When he said he was so tired, I flashed back to what he said in episode 4 about the world not wanting Black men. He’s just suffered so much and was ready to lay his burden down. 

… Look at me sounding like he’s a real person.

On 7/10/2022 at 5:58 PM, sereion said:

Murda admitting to Uncle Clifford that he was not okay is the most powerful scene in the entire episode

I totally agree. As you said, Black men aren’t often given the space to not be okay. That small, simple declaration was incredibly powerful.

(I had a crush on John Clarence Stewart when I saw him in Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist - his character, Simon, is a white-collar clean cut dude, which is more my type. He sings in the show, quite a lot - it’s a musical - so I recommend checking it out for another side of him.)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Empress1 said:

I got rid of Starz when I moved a couple of months ago but added it on Prime recently. (I also binged the … fourth? iteration of Power, the one that centers around Tommy.)

Head over there and let us know what you think!

3 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I think that was the last thing Teak was holding onto and when he lost it, it was over. (I do think LaMarcus loved Teak - more than just liked him. But I think it was a platonic love. I love the people I consider my closest friends, but I’m not IN love with them.)

I agree with this. 

• Love 1