Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: There’s No Place Like Home

• Start Topic

Captain Sandy kicks off another charter season in the Mediterranean, this time on the exclusive island of Malta aboard the sleek and ultra-modern motoryacht Home. With all-new department heads, things get off to a tumultuous start when the bosun is left short-handed. When the guests come aboard, the chef struggles to please a guest who's short on compliments and long on complaints. Eyebrows are raised as crew members question the nature of a relationship between two fellow yachties.

Bravo Airdate: 07/11/2022

This season the episodes will be airing a week earlier on Peacock Premium.  You can comment on the episode once it is live there.  Anyone waiting for the Bravo airing, be aware there will be early comments on the episode - so don't enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

I am glad Peacock had this early.  I liked the first episode.  I think the new bosun is going to be a lazy one.  I don't remember any female deck hand refusing to carry luggage because it was too heavy.  She sure had some smoke breaks.  Is she really qualified to be a bosun? She didn't know to give the schedule to Sandy and didn't have the toys in the water. 

I kind of love it because Sandy was so happy she had a female bosun.  The bad part of me hopes she causes Sandy problems all season long too. Maybe it's just the first charter.  The one positive about Sandy is is she will help out with the work when they are short handed or just need help.  

Not sure about the chef yet.  The charter guest had issues but that was more on him than the chef.  Still not sure how good he is.  What I got was he was on board for the drama/love interest of the chief stew.  So there is that storyline.

• Love 8

Yeah early impressions are usually good and the cast are happy to meet each other.  Then we learn why familiarity breeds contempt.

Lot of experience in the crew with Natasha, Dave the chef.

Jason the first deck crew member was complaining because he was literally doing all the heavy lifting.  I can believe Malta had some strict quarantine requirements to enter the country.  But I smell shenanigans, they can set the schedule however they like so they could have waited another day to start the charter or flown all the cast in the same day to be on the same calendar.

Two of the women are clearly ready to mingle, which is good for the males on the cast and Bravo.  They were teasing Natasha about her and Dave sharing a cabin and she kept saying there was nothing going on.  Then she goes to cabin, asks Dave if he wants to screw.  Next morning, they're being all kissy face and she's talking about being naked.  Did she just decide to hook up with him then or were they a thing already when they worked together or before they came on this boat?

Natalya happened to notice Storm is very fit first time she meets him.  Storm is Mzi's friend and Mzi got him this job but looks like Storm may get the kind of female attention Mzi couldn't get in season 6.

Everyone seemed to work pretty well except Raygan, who was shown taking smoke and drink breaks.

The boat is different.  The name is "Home" and it's a hybrid and the external design and interior decor are all modern, none of the brass or gold hardware you see in some of the other BD boats.  Cabins, including the crew cabins seem bigger.  But even though the BD captains are all fond of calling the BD boats "super yachts" some of the crew obviously worked on much bigger yachts, with Natasha having looks like a half dozen stewardesses working for her.

So they have to stow all the water toys in the front, under the deck, instead of at the back, near the water level.  It seems they have to lift some of them up to the deck and then use the winch to lower them onto the water?  Seems like more work and potential for accidents.

Meanwhile the stabilizers stop working and the yacht starts to sway heavily back and forth, causing everything inside to spill to the floor.

And they're not even sailing!

• Like 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, aghst said:

Everyone seemed to work pretty well except Raygan, who was shown taking smoke and drink breaks.

I think she is getting the "Hannah" edit.  

The primary on this first charter wanted a drag queen on board to entertain them so they had Trihanna Wilde come on board, she is apparently a well known drag queen on Malta but to me it was lacking but the guests loved it. The primary was pissed about the slide not being out 24/7 like he requested then Sandy tells him it is held up in customs and he is okay with that but still pissed that Raygun did not fall all over him.  Sandy throws Raygun under the bus by saying how pissed she would be it she was in his place, and so it begins with Sandy not supporting her crew.

Who's idea was it to make those blue Jolly Rancher cocktails for their on board greeting? The primary says he hates them so what an odd choice, why not just stick with the usual champagne?  Are we having onion flashbacks with the I specifically said no cinnamon?  Why do I think there will be cinnamon in everything now?  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think we all know who this year's villain is supposed to be after this episode.

But I'm left with a couple of questions: 

First, do all yachties hug each other on first meeting? I understand hugging someone you previously worked with, and I noticed Storm shook hands, but most of those other early arriving folks were hugging people who they'd never met before.  I really don't understand hugging as an initial greeting, quarantine or not. 

Last season the rule was no co-ed cabins, but now it's ok again. Last season I thought maybe it was a new rule to avoid charges of sexual harassment or something similar, but that apparently was not the case. I imagine that Bravo insures the yachts through the same agency every year, so was last year's no male-female roommates rule just more Bravo crap to add angst? 

Edited by rur
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

Pretty sure they've met each other before filming begins.

In fact they probably gather and then one by one they make their entrances.  They all go up to see Sandy and then meet each other.

But I think younger generations may be more prone to hug, even relative strangers.

Yeah supposedly the owner gets to decide on co-ed cabins.  But it certainly looks like the occupants of the co-ed cabin hook up almost immediately.  Natasha said on other boats she worked on, she got to share cabins with men she was dating at the time and it was a great arrangement for blowing off steam.

I can see the people who own and run yachts allowing married or even engaged couples share cabins but would they really allow couples who were just dating at the time?

If they get into a fight or break up, then what happens, one of them switches cabins?  Or maybe one or both of them leave the ship?

• Love 2

You guys are cracking me up with Raygun.  I kept seeing Raygan and thinking and that is pronounced…?  

The 2 lookalike name-alike stews are gonna be extra confusing.  They better not both hook up with the chef.  🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 7/10/2022 at 10:28 PM, rur said:

Last season the rule was no co-ed cabins, but now it's ok again. Last season I thought maybe it was a new rule to avoid charges of sexual harassment or something similar, but that apparently was not the case. I imagine that Bravo insures the yachts through the same agency every year, so was last year's no male-female roommates rule just more Bravo crap to add angst? 

Pretty sure that Bravo decided it was more fun to treat us to the sights and sounds of sexual hijinks of the crew. No thanks I do not want to see or hear this. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, TV Glotzer said:

That is the fugliest boat I have ever seen. It looks like a floating hospital. All the main spaces look like afterthoughts—cramped and pushed off to one side. 

Boaty McBoatface.

Since we saw all the boxes of provisions in the hallway and Sandy told Zee that his job was to stow all of it my thought was the builder did not include sufficient storage and with lack of time to unpack prior to picking up guests it was a challenge to find a home for all the supplies.

• Love 6
On 7/10/2022 at 11:26 AM, aghst said:

That primary was coached up to bitch about whatever he could.

It seems to me the primary didn't need much coaching.  I did enjoy the stew (Natalya?) showing the pretentious, dramatic asshole his preference sheet which did NOT include an aversion to cinnamon.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, TV Glotzer said:

That is the fugliest boat I have ever seen. It looks like a floating hospital. All the main spaces look like afterthoughts—cramped and pushed off to one side. 

I questioned the Lucite chairs at the dining table. Weren't they really popular about . . . oh . . . 50 years ago? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Boaty McBoatface.

Since we saw all the boxes of provisions in the hallway and Sandy told Zee that his job was to stow all of it my thought was the builder did not include sufficient storage and with lack of time to unpack prior to picking up guests it was a challenge to find a home for all the supplies.

Don't you be dissing the real Boaty McBoatface!

• LOL 4

Looks like this season has all the makings of a shit show. I was spoiled by the relatively genial crew on this season's BD SY and now we're back to this train wreck.  

I simply do not understand why Bravo keeps Sandy around, she has to be the most loathed captain on their franchise. I imagine they don't want to lose their one female captain and it's probably hard to find another willing to do a show like this. But Sandy has zero credibility as a professional at this point.

That new bosun is about as qualified to be a bosun as that Russian woman was to be a chef a few seasons back (the one who couldn't even make pancakes, with a mix). She is clearly a plant to cause drama, and the first deckhand is already fed up and it's only day one. And I don't blame him.

Also - I don't think this is a spoiler, because it was in all the promos, but just in case:

Spoiler

I thought I read that Courtney would be back this season, so clearly one of the stews is going to get replaced at some point. I'm guessing Kyle based on the promo spots they showed. Or maybe one of the deck hands? I dunno.

Storm does not look good bald, he just doesn't have the head for it. When they showed photos of him with hair he looked 100 times better.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Storm does not look good bald, he just doesn't have the head for it. When they showed photos of him with hair he looked 100 times better.

Some people just look better with hair.  Storm looks like he is 50 years old.  

I do not like Raygun.

Without the stabilizers, would it be better to drive the boat, so it isn't just sitting and tilting side to side?  I don't know anything about big boats, I didn't know they even had stabilizers.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I do not like Raygun.

She is this season's Hannah.

Every time she looks at her phone or smokes a cigarette the camera catches it and edits that as her only activities.

I will never be sorry I call her Raygun.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Also - I don't think this is a spoiler, because it was in all the promos, but just in case:

Reveal spoiler

I thought I read that Courtney would be back this season, so clearly one of the stews is going to get replaced at some point. I'm guessing Kyle based on the promo spots they showed. Or maybe one of the deck hands? I dunno.

Spoiler

From looking online it lists Courtney as a deckhand.  They mentioned drama with Raygan and her leaving.

Edited by MyMaui
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1

Parsifal III is still the best good looking boat of the franchise and also the one with the best usability.

"Home" is so white and shines so much that everyone on board should wear dark glasses otherwise they will soon become blind, like skiers in snow.
But apart from offering blindness it seems this Hybrid Nightmare is also easily malfunctioning, although I am sure those issues are caused by production for the drama of it. The biggest problem with this though, seems to be the way it is designed which makes loading and unloading the water toys and the dinghy quite a complicated and tiring procedure. 
I do not mind Sandy, even if she moves and speaks like an alive inspirational/motivational poster.
I miss Malia but she seems to doing very well and probably next time she will  come back to the franchise will be as a captain.

Having watched 2nd episode as well, I would like to say again how much I appreciated the Australian version for not shoving down our throats with  idiotic sexual yachting drama.

• Love 7

I'm guessing this is a newer boat than the others.

Yes agree on the stowage of the water toys, maybe we'll see it become an issue or a story this season.

But the crew cabins seemed to be larger and they seemed to like the crew mess.

• Like 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Kyle as in the guy with the trans girlfriend that came to the boat for a visit? That Kyle?

I think that Kyle was on the original Below Deck.  I remember Kate and Kyle getting along well (one of the few she did get along with).  A different Kyle is a 2nd stew this season.  

Edited by MyMaui
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/10/2022 at 7:28 PM, rur said:

First, do all yachties hug each other on first meeting? I understand hugging someone you previously worked with, and I noticed Storm shook hands, but most of those other early arriving folks were hugging people who they'd never met before.  I really don't understand hugging as an initial greeting, quarantine or not. 

I don't consider hugging a colleague greeting. They will be in close quarters I guess.

I swore I wouldn't watch this one with Sandy, but here I am.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

What a Frugly boat!  It is huge on the outside, but the inside seems cramped, especially where the guest would hang out. How can that be?  Yes the living quarters for crew looked bigger, but the rest, not so much.

Saying bye to Raygun...er Raygan now as she is going to be gone soon.  Not sure how she got to be Bosun, but she sucks as far as working with her crew.  She does not seem like the type of person that likes to break a sweat.  Ever.

So far Sandy is still micro managing, but not in an annoying way....yet.

• Love 10

besides the stew and the chief stew looking exactly alike, and having almost the same name, doesn't the stew look a lot like a young ex mrs. jeff bezos Mackenzie Scott? (I'm kinda face blind so I could be completely off the mark)

image.png.bdb809d838e6c1fbec77c4f7f4253227.png

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Man this new boat is so much nicer than the usual BD boats. The sailing one is decent but the BD ones are so dark 90s old man decor that I cannot image people paying luxury prices for them. Even the outside is nice, more like a sports car. Love it, hope the regular BD gets some more modern/in style boats. I guess the layout is less practical for the toys.

Edited by fountain
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/12/2022 at 11:24 PM, featherhead said:

So far Sandy doesn't seem as bad since  Malia is gone.😉

Sandy has no one to feed off of yet, there is a difference in her leadership for now and that is good.

I have noticed that Raygun has yet to be filmed without her phone in her hands, that would annoy the shit out of me if I were Sandy.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
Had another thought.
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

So far Sandy doesn't seem as bad since  Malia is gone.😉

Sandy has no one to feed off of yet, there is a difference in her leadership for now and that is good.

I think this is a result of the backlash against Sandy and Malia after what went down with Hannah. I think Bravo really misread that situation and didn't expect the reaction it got. Malia is not the Bravo sweetheart they expected her to be, and I think Sandy benefits from a more careful edit and perhaps a talking to from the higher ups. They'd probably prefer not to replace her, as I mentioned above, since she's the only female captain in the franchise. But it's a little late for redemption IMO, like closing the barn door after the horses are already out. After the past couple of seasons she has no credibility as a leader, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Or maybe she's not wiling to be as confrontational with the new crew yet.

That can still happen later in the season.

I think Sandy is trying to appear more reasonable this season because she wants to improve her public image. She knows everyone hates her micromanaging and how she berates the crew. I actually love how incompetent Raygan is because I know it must be torturing Sandy to not flip out on her! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think this is a result of the backlash against Sandy and Malia after what went down with Hannah.

Do you really believe this whole thing wasn't scripted? why people not to like Sandy or Malia for something staged by the production? 
They are called reality shows but they are not real. There is so much artificial drama, if not all of it.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 2
On 7/12/2022 at 11:28 AM, aghst said:

Who was the Chief Stew last season?

Was it that horrible woman who said the N word?

That was Below Deck.  The Chief stew on Below Deck Med. last season was Katie Flood who was actually pretty nice but not very effective at dealing with a problem stew. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 7/12/2022 at 6:58 AM, rur said:

I questioned the Lucite chairs at the dining table. Weren't they really popular about . . . oh . . . 50 years ago? 

I think what happened there was a red flag 🚩 he hit that chair because it’s see through so his eye never registered  it….. we will probably see it happen again.  It’s like walking through a screen door.

• Love 3
On 7/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, Jsage said:

I think Sandy is trying to appear more reasonable this season because she wants to improve her public image. She knows everyone hates her micromanaging and how she berates the crew. I actually love how incompetent Raygan is because I know it must be torturing Sandy to not flip out on her! 

I agree with everything you said. Sandy wants to rehab her image and she is going to appear to be more of a team player this season.  I will watch to see what disasters she will be dealt.  It's starting out with being short of deckhands the first day and Sandy having to pitch in.  Now the stabilizers aren't working.  The previews look crazy!  I'm here for it!

• Love 2
On 7/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I think she is getting the "Hannah" edit.  

The primary on this first charter wanted a drag queen on board to entertain them so they had Trihanna Wilde come on board, she is apparently a well known drag queen on Malta but to me it was lacking but the guests loved it. The primary was pissed about the slide not being out 24/7 like he requested then Sandy tells him it is held up in customs and he is okay with that but still pissed that Raygun did not fall all over him.  Sandy throws Raygun under the bus by saying how pissed she would be it she was in his place, and so it begins with Sandy not supporting her crew.

Who's idea was it to make those blue Jolly Rancher cocktails for their on board greeting? The primary says he hates them so what an odd choice, why not just stick with the usual champagne?  Are we having onion flashbacks with the I specifically said no cinnamon?  Why do I think there will be cinnamon in everything now?  

Just happened to catch this scene. Some things never change with that piece of work, huh? Trashing her bosun by immediately agreeing with the guest’s criticism. And he was pretty well smashed, right? A good manager listens impartially, takes in what is being said, especially when alcohol is involved, tells the guest she will look into it, and then speaks to the employee privately. Let me guess…she will ream out Raygun at the tip meeting. 

I for one could never work for someone who would make me watch my back 24/7. I cannot stand Sandy Yawn. She is a shitty excuse for a manager and a leader. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Just happened to catch this scene. Some things never change with that piece of work, huh? Trashing her bosun by immediately agreeing with the guest’s criticism. And he was pretty well smashed, right? A good manager listens impartially, takes in what is being said, especially when alcohol is involved, tells the guest she will look into it, and then speaks to the employee privately. Let me guess…she will ream out Raygun at the tip meeting. 

I for one could never work for someone who would make me watch my back 24/7. I cannot stand Sandy Yawn. She is a shitty excuse for a manager and a leader. 

I don't like how Raygan is "leading" her crew- she is being portrayed as lazy and ineffective.  That said, she did absolutely nothing to warrant that guest's criticism.  She merely answered his questions matter of factly.  Perhaps she should have been fawning all over him, since these guests are paying lots of money for the charter, but her actions did not deserve his ire.  

• Love 3

Glad to see Mzi's back. He seems quite likeable.

This show's major conflict: I cannot decide who's hotter, Brunette (Oz) or Brunette (Yorkshire). They're like gorgeous twins! Blonde (Essex) is kinda cute, but I'm no fan of tattoos, mind you, and she doesn't seem to have the go-getter attitude and leadership spark that Malia has. (I miss Malia! *sniff*)

• Love 2

Like the links in an anchor chain that needs to be flaked, the below comments are in the order of the episode broadcast…

OMG!  IT’S CAPTAIN QUEEG!  (Sandy)  Seriously, when you blame your crew for your lack of leadership, go off the deep end for no apparent reason, or you’re mysteriously absent when trouble is afoot – look no further than Captain Queeg (Sandy).

(For those puzzled/mystified by my comments, please refer to the novel/film “The Caine Mutiny”.)

OMG!  MZI!  I remember you from a previous season.  Who are you going to fall in love with that will rip your heart out and trample on it this season?

Captain Queeg:  “It would be great to have Malia back.”  Yeah, except she was sane and doesn’t want to be within 100 feet of you.

Yes, chef, we get it – you and the Chief Stew are a former couple.  Sheesh.  And you can ski.  But can you cook?

The boat itself looks like a piece of cr@p, IMHO.  Ultra modern with no personality whatsoever.  You can see every piece of dirt, but there’s no soul.

Hi Ray and Carlos – we won’t see you again for the rest of the season, unless the boat is about to sink.

Kyle:  “I’m a service Queen from the get-go.”  Yes.  Yes indeed.

And the rest of the episode is just horrid.  It’s one thing to be served something unpleasant for dinner.  It’s another to expect to put up with it for an entire season.

• Love 1
On 7/12/2022 at 5:32 PM, Zaffy said:

I do not mind Sandy, even if she moves and speaks like an alive inspirational/motivational poster.
I miss Malia but she seems to doing very well and probably next time she will  come back to the franchise will be as a captain.

OMG, I so miss Malia on the boat.  This Raygan was a total drip to watch.  Also, I think I may have snoozed through it but did they show Raygan getting turfed?  I\