Type keyword(s) to search

Black Bird - General Discussion

aghst
  • Start Topic

Inspired by actual events, when high school football hero and decorated policeman’s son Jimmy Keene is sentenced to 10 years in a minimum security prison, he is given the choice of a lifetime — enter a maximum-security prison for the criminally insane and befriend suspected serial killer Larry Hall, or stay where he is and serve his full sentence with no possibility of parole. Keene quickly realizes his only way out is to elicit a confession and find out where the bodies of several young girls are buried before Hall’s appeal goes through. But is this suspected killer telling the truth? Or is it just another tale from a serial liar?

Rave reviews so far, from Dennis Lehane (The Wire, Mystic River, The Outsider)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/black_bird/s01/reviews?type=top_critics

• Love 2

It’s been awhile since I’ve been really riveted by a TV show and almost forget they’re not real people. Episode 2 with the interrogation of Larry was just riveting. I recently watched Jewell and thought Paul Walter Hauser did a good job there, but this is stellar acting. 

Jimmy (Taron Egerton) sure is pretty and I’m sure he’ll get the chance to show some actual acting, but right now he’s just too slick. 

Greg Kinnear, as always was fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I love true crime dramas, I was impressed with this one right from the start, the characters are strong and I think I will enjoy it immensely, so far I’m taking my time and enjoying the episodes instead of binging like I some times do.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Binged the first three as they were available when I stumbled upon the recommendation and am about to watch episode #4. Seems about to dig into the upbringing(s) of Jimmy and Larry, so gonna get creepy I guess. Really liking the slow tempo and, of course, the amazing Paul Walter Hauser. If you have looked up the real-life Larry, the resemblance is uncanny as well. The show is doing a good job of making me hate the crooked prison guard as well. 

While I've liked Mogwai for many years now, I feel the soundtrack is not always bringing the right mood and is sometimes way too loud, as if it was a main character. That could be a good thing, but in this instance it isn't for me. 

1 hour ago, Cloudly said:

Binged the first three as they were available when I stumbled upon the recommendation and am about to watch episode #4. Seems about to dig into the upbringing(s) of Jimmy and Larry, so gonna get creepy I guess. Really liking the slow tempo and, of course, the amazing Paul Walter Hauser. If you have looked up the real-life Larry, the resemblance is uncanny as well. The show is doing a good job of making me hate the crooked prison guard as well. 

While I've liked Mogwai for many years now, I feel the soundtrack is not always bringing the right mood and is sometimes way too loud, as if it was a main character. That could be a good thing, but in this instance it isn't for

I don’t know where you are, but Apple only posted the third episode in the US overnight (late Thursday evening), so I just watched it overnight myself. Episode 4 is next weekend.

4 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

I don’t know where you are, but Apple only posted the third episode in the US overnight (late Thursday evening), so I just watched it overnight myself. Episode 4 is next weekend.

If you’re counting the pilot as episode 1, the fourth episode is the one released late yesterday. I am in the NY metro area and can watch it now.

9 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

4 hours ago, Rickster said:

If you’re counting the pilot as episode 1, the fourth episode is the one released late yesterday. I am in the NY metro area and can watch it now.

I’m in the east part of Canada and the fourth episode, WhatsHerName is up as well. It shows Episode 5 coming July 29.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 7/12/2022 at 6:15 PM, endure said:

I love true crime dramas, I was impressed with this one right from the start, the characters are strong and I think I will enjoy it immensely, so far I’m taking my time and enjoying the episodes instead of binging like I some times do.

I find I’m doing the same. I’m wanting to savour it. I’m riveted. It’s going to be a long wait until next week! I’ve always liked Greg Kinnear and he doesn’t disappoint here. I’ve only seen Taron Egerton as Elton John, must say he’s much more appealing in this. 😉 Haven’t seen Paul Walter Hauser before but he’s excellent in this. The only one I’m not crazy about is the female cop. Maybe it’s her smugness that’s putting me off. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, ferjy said:

I find I’m doing the same. I’m wanting to savour it. I’m riveted. It’s going to be a long wait until next week! I’ve always liked Greg Kinnear and he doesn’t disappoint here. I’ve only seen Taron Egerton as Elton John, must say he’s much more appealing in this. 😉 Haven’t seen Paul Walter Hauser before but he’s excellent in this. The only one I’m not crazy about is the female cop. Maybe it’s her smugness that’s putting me off. 

I watched Episode 4 last night and was a little disappointed, I think the prison riot just seemed a bit off for starters and the flashbacks and the on again off again lack of  trust between the two, and I didn’t really get the scene with guard either it was all just a general let down for me.  And I think there’s only two episodes left so I hope my original expectations are met.

• Like 1

The prison riot reminded me of Natural Born Killers.

Larry carefully manipulating Jimmy toward talking about fantasizing about butchering women, and Jimmy carefully manipulating Larry in the same direction, was very well done.

• Like 3

Really enjoying this, which doesn't surprise me as I'll read anything Dennis Lehane writes and watch anything he has a hand in. Taron Egerton and Paul Walter Hauser are both doing excellent work. Egerton is so likable and magnetic (and handsome) that he makes me root for Jimmy even though he's basically an arrogant jerk. Some of his reactions where the charming, cocky mask slips are really really good. And Hauser is absolutely chillingly terrifying while also sort of sympathetic, which is a really unsettling combination. 

• Love 6

What did it mean when Carter the guard had the bandage on his cheek and said something about a hockey accident, then later said ‘they only broke my cheekbone so I could still work’. Who the heck is “they”? And why was he targeted?

That was a couple of episodes ago. Weird that it was never explained.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, kay1864 said:

What did it mean when Carter the guard had the bandage on his cheek and said something about a hockey accident, then later said ‘they only broke my cheekbone so I could still work’. Who the heck is “they”? And why was he targeted?

I agree that was strange but it seems to happen repeatedly in this show.  A scene is shown but it has no significance nor does it tie in anywhere, even the prison riot, was it just for drama or gratuitous violence?  The scenes in the episode with the woman psych, what purpose?  The show for me is a real let down on every level, and sick of the Jimmy posing. The funeral, the beach scene, the bait shop and the pick up some Kalua just all fall flat imo and the acting isn’t even OK. I feel nothing for any of the characters or the victims.

Sepideh Moafi imitating Larry's voice in this most recent episode was amazing, funny, and also creepy.

What a disturbing episode. Jimmy pretending to find Larry's theory of "those girls aren't really children, that was just a money-making scheme and they used to be considered old enough to marry" appealing was really smart.

I'm glad they're not showing the murders. The descriptions are disturbing enough. Taron Egerton did a great job in those scenes, trying to pretend not to be horrified.

At first I thought the device of the girl's voiceover was a little too corny but I admit, it ended up getting to me in just the way they meant it to.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, kay1864 said:

I took that to mean he was beat up by a loan shark, which is why he is pushing so hard for the money from Jimmy.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I took that to mean he was beat up by a loan shark, which is why he is pushing so hard for the money from Jimmy.

Ah, thanks, makes sense. So it’s not just a straight shakedown of Jimmy—he’s desperate.

Another fine episode. Egerton did a masterful job as Jimmy receiving Larry's horrible story, and Larry's session with the psychiatrist was also very well done.

The discovery of the bicycle was stunning. After four years of agonized searching for clues, there it was.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Another fine episode. Egerton did a masterful job as Jimmy receiving Larry's horrible story, and Larry's session with the psychiatrist was also very well done.

The discovery of the bicycle was stunning. After four years of agonized searching for clues, there it was.

The reaction of the federal prosecutor to the detective work on the bicycle was surprising, while it might not have directly supported a murder or kidnapping charge, it could have supported a charge that would prevent Larry from being released immediately if his appeal was successful.

And Jimmy’s reaction in private to what Larry had told him was masterful acting by Taron.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 7/30/2022 at 8:52 AM, pasdetrois said:

That was a great scene. Only to be let down by the prosecutor. What a disappointment for Miller and Macaulay (and us!)

On 7/29/2022 at 10:32 AM, gesundheit said:

At first I thought the device of the girl's voiceover was a little too corny but I admit, it ended up getting to me in just the way they meant it to.

I agree on both counts. I guess they know what they’re going. 

• Love 2

I know that it is only "based on a true story", but it seemed far fetched that a prison riot resulting in the assumed deaths or severe injuries to at least three guards would then have the prisoners cleaning up their own mess in the dining hall. I just imagine that they would all be on lockdown for days. Also, seemed fanciful that a convicted child killer would be given free reign in the woodshop to carve birds...

• Like 1

Watched the finale wishing we could have more TV like this. Beautifully acted. I liked that they showed Gary's struggle with loving and pitying his brother while trying to comprehend what Larry had done. And being on the hook to keep tabs on Larry should he be paroled. That's a real struggle if you love someone.

Did the solitary confinement really happen? Were there consequences for the officials who screwed that up?

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed this. Outstanding acting, great actors, good story and they didn’t try to drag it out. Six eps and out, perfect. More shows should take note. There wasn’t a single performance in this that wasn’t a master class in acting. Well done AppleTv. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

That was quite an emotional episode.  Really enjoyed this series. As others have mentioned superb acting and well written. I’ve been impressed with a lot of Apple TV’s shows. Netflix take note. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, sadie said:

I really enjoyed this. Outstanding acting, great actors, good story and they didn’t try to drag it out. Six eps and out, perfect. More shows should take note. There wasn’t a single performance in this that wasn’t a master class in acting. Well done AppleTv. 

If there aren't acting Emmys all around, I will be so disappointed. It really was like a master class in acting. I've always liked Taron Egerton, but had no idea he was THIS talented. He's now in the "I'll watch whatever he does next" category. Paul Walter Hauser I had only seen in I, Tonya and he was astonishing here. They were fantastic individually and together. 

Edited by SallyAlbright
  • Love 9

I'm watching this and wondering if his brother was involved in the murders. And I've just reached the episode where Jimmy finds the sketches in the Penthouse, so I guess not.

Edited by Anela
On 7/29/2022 at 1:54 AM, endure said:

The scenes in the episode with the woman psych, what purpose?

I think the woman psychiatrist fully knows Larry is a psycho and she was kind of trying to give Jimmy an out.  Like just say you are a danger to my other patients and I’ll get you transferred.  That’s what it seemed like to me, especially since I’m guessing she’s not privy to Jimmy’s real reason for being there.

The guy who plays Larry also played the main character in that movie about the Atlanta Olympics bombing where he was accused of setting the bomb.  He was great in that as well.  Very creepy.

If Ben Affleck and Luke Perry had a baby, it would be Jimmy.

This was a great last role and send off for Ray Liotta.  Moving into that motel to stay close to Jimmy and then sitting in the parking lot staring at the prison, man that got me right in the feels!

I also thought the riot scene was really strange.  Then after someone came over the intercom telling the inmates to get back in their cells and they just….got back in their cells??  Why didn’t they try that hours before?  Now I’ve never been in prison before but two other things that struck me as weird were 1. that the inmates get so much time to seemingly just roam around freely and 2. It was so damn clean in there!

I have one more episode to watch.  Really held my attention.  Creepy and mysterious, also super scary that it’s based on a true story.

• Like 1