Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Come on Doodlebug

• Start Topic

Really surprised to see that nobody has posted yet.

First episode was not overly hard. Lots of teams, not too many stand out for me yet, other than the eliminated team (I am familiar with Jully Black and her music), and the friends where she is dying due to a terminal brain tumor (!). There are many POC as well as several indigenous contestants - I enjoy seeing a well rounded cast.

Winners this season each get a pickup truck and a trip around the world.They share the 250K cash prize.

First place in this episode got a trip to LA to see the Thor premiere, $2,500 each to spend at Michael's, and three Express passes (one for themselves and two to give out).

I was a little surprised by the burlesque side of the detour. It was a bit sexy for what I always felt they pushed as a family show. The woman handing out the clues had quite the boobtastic top on - I thought she was going to have a wardrobe malfunction so many times. 😂

Thor's latest film (yes, from Marvel) clearly shelled out money for this because two of the tasks were related to the film. Somebody's gotta sponsor them, so I'm not too annoyed.

Glad to see the show back after three years.

• Love 3
(edited)

Happy to see the show back. Great group of racers, and I enjoyed the tasks. I loved the burlesque challenge, and that the teams really got into performing it. 

Edited by hula-la
  • Love 2

Great to see the show back. I assume it will be contained to just Canada with COVID still a thing.

Didn't actively dislike anyone off the bat, but the brothers (Conner and ?) are a bit too "on". When they ramped it down a few notches, they were fine. A few of the contestants were quite exuberant, so it could be first episode jitters.

• Love 1

Love to have the show back. Looks like a fun group of racers so far. 

I wonder if the brothers were nudged to go tell the last two teams the "Old Montreal" clue, just to make sure they got on the buses in time. 

Classic TAR moment there where the team is looking for the walking billboard, and says they can't see it when they literally just walked past it. Loved the camera guy catching the billboard guy shrugging. 

The Burlesque task was fun, maybe a bit riske for TAR USA, but looked like legit fun for TAR CAN (especially in Montreal). :) Interesting that it wasn't a completely gimme task, since two teams failed at least once (that we saw)

I am surprised they didn't limit the challenge to have more go to the jazz club though. Since there were only 5 trainers, I figured there had to be an even split between tasks, but apparently not. 

• Love 1

Enjoyed the return of this show. The great thing about a Canadian version is recognizing a lot of the places, and then feeling that Canadian pride. 

Agree that the burlesque task wouldn’t fly in the US version, since they’re more prudish. I thought Jully Black would do well at the jazz challenge, but maybe she felt over-confident as a professional singer. 

In the ad for the show before it aired, we thought maybe they were starting at The Village at Blue Mountain, since it has that same Swiss mountain village vibe.

• Love 1

Yay! Love the Canadian and Australian versions of the race! I do adore Phil, but the last US race I really liked was the All Stars several years ago where the "all grown up and zen" Chip and Kim won. Looks like a nice group of racers. I agree some of them were a bit too juiced up and/or "camera ready," but I'm sure a couple of exhausting legs will settle them down. 

• Love 1

Funny how the team of Philippine-Canadian sisters gets Indonesian music @ 0:45 (compare Season 32's Manila episode being introduced with the Balinese/Javanese theme a la Survivor Cagayan):

On 7/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, TVbitch said:

Yay! Love the Canadian and Australian versions of the race! I do adore Phil, but the last US race I really liked was the All Stars several years ago where the "all grown up and zen" Chip and Kim won. Looks like a nice group of racers. I agree some of them were a bit too juiced up and/or "camera ready," but I'm sure a couple of exhausting legs will settle them down. 

Pretty sure you meant Colin and Christie, not Chip and Kim!

• LOL 1