Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Barbecues, Breakups & Betrothals

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

When I became single in my mid 50's, I was shocked to find out how many "Shep's" are out there.

Men who have either never married, or who are "Shepping" it up after divorce.

Men who are on into their 70's, 80's, and yes, beyond, living their best "Shep" life.

I blame Taylor, sorry.  Anyone who has watched one episode of this show, knows better.

Taylor, you are adorable.  And you seem like you have a good heart.  Get out, now.

Just throwing this out there.  My Son, 50, Gorgeous, divorced, one son, doesn’t drink anymore, never drugs, is happy being single again.  Works, loves his sports.  Doesn’t want to get involved again.  Says women want too much and are demanding.  He’d like someone like his Mom, me.  Homebody, cook, never asked for much, and satisfied.  Just sayin.  As a Mom tho, I’d like to see him with a partner again.  The right one.  It bothers me more than him.  He’s done with the bar scene.  Been there, done that.  Done.  When I met my husband, over 50 yrs ago, he just got out of the Army and was broke.  I didn’t care, so we mostly baby sat for his sister, or just went to the movie, etc.  As long as we were together, it didn’t matter where we were.  Maybe women today expect more.  Who knows?  Maybe men feel pressure to give more.  Looks like Shep doesn’t want any responsibility whatsoever.  His buddy Austin too.  Just bummin around and drinking.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, izabella said:

In the first season of the show, Shep told us he always uses condoms.  That was when Kathryn had her first pregnancy scare after having sex with both Shep and Thomas (separately!).  Shep was clear that there was no way he was the father becasue he and Kathryn used condoms, and he always does.

If he's not using them anymore, I guess he's losing his mind in his old age.

I don't know what his problem with commitment is anyway.  What exactly is he doing with his much-vaunted freedom?  Like he can't booze it up at the country club with other husbands who are boozing it up and flirting with the waitresses?  I think he's too lazy to pull his weight in a relationship, requires the woman to do all the heavy lifting, and is far too lazy to be a parent.

Actually, it makes me sick to see a 42 yr old drinking to oblivion, then getting up late and bumming around.  He has a nice girl there and just won’t commit.  Wonder how his liver is doing.  What’s his purpose in life?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, aghst said:

Kathryn no longer needed him.

People have forgotten her monkey emojis.

I haven't forgotten that. I'm just saying he didn't exactly try to save the relationship. He was out of there before he could even digest the first bite of that slop she made. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I haven't forgotten that. I'm just saying he didn't exactly try to save the relationship. He was out of there before he could even digest the first bite of that slop she made. 

Yes, but isn’t he back?  He’s too nice for her.  I think his mother persuaded him.  Why?  I have no idea.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Don't think so. Curious what makes you think that? 

Maybe in the coming attractions?  Didn’t he come back and say he loved her?  Maybe I’ve lost it finally.  

• Wink 1
(edited)

@bichonblitz.    Ok, I just found it.  At Sheps bbq, he told the guys he hasn’t been with Katherine for a few days.  Said his mother told him to go back.  He said he loved her.  That’s when he went back and told her he loved her when she was making the meatballs.  After talking awhile, he left again.  You probably already knew that.  My mistake.

Edited by kristen111
51 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Taylor is from a conservative religious family but wears leggings that look painted on, complete with camel toe.  Does she think they won’t see the episode?

To be fair, this is a commonplace style now. There's actually a thriving market for camel toe and nipple concealers. I noticed that she had camel toe and nipples appropriately smoothed, as any future mother of Shep's children should. She looked like a sexless, smooth Barbie/Ken hinged-doll lumbering down the street. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I’d still like to know why a nice guy like him got divorced.  When will the secret come out?  They looked like a nice couple, and he looked like a great Father.

I thought he said last season that they got married and had kids too young, or something along those lines.  But they're still good friends and get along well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

@bichonblitz.    Ok, I just found it.  At Sheps bbq, he told the guys he hasn’t been with Katherine for a few days.  Said his mother told him to go back.  He said he loved her.  That’s when he went back and told her he loved her when she was making the meatballs.  After talking awhile, he left again.  You probably already knew that.  My mistake.

No problem! 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chicken Fingers said:

To be fair, this is a commonplace style now. There's actually a thriving market for camel toe and nipple concealers. I noticed that she had camel toe and nipples appropriately smoothed, as any future mother of Shep's children should. She looked like a sexless, smooth Barbie/Ken hinged-doll lumbering down the street. 

Why would they use concealers though?

Seems like the choice of tight clothing would indicate that showing certain features is the point?

Edited by aghst
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

In the previews for the next episode he's sitting talking with a young man, and the guy asks Chleb if he loves her (yes) and basically can Chleb handle all that's in her life. Chleb is supposed to look thoughtful there, but to me his face said Hell No, and then the preview ended before he answered. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Seems like the choice of tight clothing would indicate that showing certain features is the point?

GROSS.  Nothing to the imagination anymore.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

I don't get it either, but then I was young in the 70s, the peak era of visible nipples, camel toe, and moose knuckle. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
20 minutes ago, Chicken Fingers said:

I don't get it either, but then I was young in the 70s, the peak era of visible nipples, camel toe, and moose knuckle. 

It is kinda odd that they could show nipples on Three’s Company and Charlie’s Angels but can’t get away with it now on network tv 45 years later.

• Love 6
(edited)

After having a tryst with Craig in Vegas, Naomi thought she could turn into a bitch again with the ice cubes.  He wasnt haven’t it anymore and she knew it.  Treat him like you treated The Doctor.  Plus, I’m not thrilled with this new cast.  I like the old cast much better.  Cameron, the other girls, the bloviators wife, even Thomas.  The girl sitting next to Vinita was nasty.  They both jumped on the new girl too quick.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

After having a tryst with Craig in Vegas, Naomi thought she could turn into a bitch again with the ice cubes.  He wasnt haven’t it anymore and she knew it.  Treat him like you treated The Doctor.

They hooked up a second time back home.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

It is kinda odd that they could show nipples on Three’s Company and Charlie’s Angels but can’t get away with it now on network tv 45 years later.

Times are way more conservative now.   I come from  the era of halter tops, tube tops, short shorts.  Knew several women thar never wore bras.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, Marley said:

Obviously Chleb is a moron tho if he calls Kathryn a good mom. She’s complete trash.

Apparently these allegations by Thomas are what prompted the judge to take custody from her:

Thomas is claiming Kathryn and her new boyfriend Chleb Ravenell took the kids, and some other friends, on a vacation to North Carolina. Thomas’ friend claims to have “witnessed a lot of cocaine use during this trip and that Kathryn had left cocaine within grasp of the children, which he thought was dangerous.”

Kathryn responded to the claims saying, “I do not use cocaine so naturally I have not left any out for our children to access.”

Thomas also claims that he hired someone to complete surveillance on Kathryn. The sleuth allegedly saw Kathryn leave the children home alone and unsupervised “on multiple occasions” and even gave two specific dates. Thomas claimed that one of the times the children were “seen alone in front of the house.” He also reported a time when a neighbor called the police after allegedly noticing their son wandering around a busy road unsupervised. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6
(edited)

Thomas is a piece of shit too but I’ve been rewatching the show and Kathryn so obviously uses drugs and she was really fucked up at one of the reunions. I’m sure Thomas lies about stuff but I’m sure there’s some truth to some of it too. Just seeing her scenes on the show tho she seems like trash and a shit mom. Loser Thomas should’ve wrapped it up but Kathryn obviously got knocked up by him on purpose thinking she was going to get married and be some trophy wife.

On topic Chleb wants to be on tv and prob thought Kathryn was a good time at first. Now she’s showing him her real crazy lol. Those meatballs looks disgusting lol.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 10
On 7/9/2022 at 2:57 PM, aghst said:

They don’t want nipples to show, they just want to show how skinny they are.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:34 AM, aghst said:

Venita is like this season's version of what's her name, always in scenes to let some other character vent.

Well at least they gave a role to a POC.  They actually have two now, appearing in all the episodes of the season so far.  Guess after 7 seasons of mostly white cast, they have to catch up a bit.

But Caleb looks like he may be bouncing soon.

Caleb seems chill and like he is somehow just now realizing that he is with a compete psycho.  Watching him leave, he’s just backing away slowly from the crazy.

I don’t like Venita, with her fake laugh.  She’s trying too hard.

On 7/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, kristen111 said:

Just throwing this out there.  My Son, 50, Gorgeous, divorced, one son, doesn’t drink anymore, never drugs, is happy being single again.  Works, loves his sports.  Doesn’t want to get involved again.  Says women want too much and are demanding.  He’d like someone like his Mom, me.  Homebody, cook, never asked for much, and satisfied.  Just sayin. 

I don’t agree with this, I don’t think women in general want too much, I know a lot of low maintenance gals.

2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Thomas is claiming Kathryn and her new boyfriend Chleb Ravenell took the kids, and some other friends, on a vacation to North Carolina. Thomas’ friend claims to have “witnessed a lot of cocaine use during this trip and that Kathryn had left cocaine within grasp of the children, which he thought was dangerous.”

I believe all of this.

Weve seen the texts from Dani maybe, where she is begging people to get Ritalin and Xanax for Kathryn… Kathryn does drugs, she failed drug tests, and it is very clear that she still does them.  I’m glad she lost custody.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 7/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, kristen111 said:

I’m not thrilled with this new cast.  I like the old cast much better.  Cameron, the other girls, the bloviators wife, even Thomas.  The girl sitting next to Vinita was nasty.  They both jumped on the new girl too quick.

I’m not into this cast either.  

I do like Pringle.  Is he poor?  His family lived in the baaaaaaaatery (said in Patricia’s voice.  

Edited by heatherchandler
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 7/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Although dating or having sex with a Black person doesn’t mean you aren’t racist in the first place.

Yes  I agree,  but Kathryn is too dumb ro realize that. It's like the standard racist line "I have black friends "

• Love 4
On 7/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, WhatAmIWatching said:

What in the heck was that pasta sauce? It was runny and gross! Did she mix ketchup and water and added some purple food coloring? 

That meal was a disaster.  Season 👏🏽your 👏🏽food 👏🏽!  She just formed meatballs, no seasoning, sauce looked like ketchup.  Whoever said risotto was being kind, it looked like badly cooked rice.  All that white in that house, I was sure to see makeup or self tanner smears everywhere on the walls and on her shirt.

All I hear now when Kathryn is on screen is Patricia saying “inelegant life.”  Also comes to mind with Shep now.

BUT mama’s boy Chleb was wrong for leaving for 5 days with no contact.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 7/9/2022 at 6:20 PM, kristen111 said:

I like the old cast much better... even Thomas.

To quote myself elsewhere regarding missing Tamra and Vicki:  Let's not say things you'll regret when you're sober.

• LOL 11
(edited)

I actually thought that sauce looked like a bottled barbque sauce of some sort.  Why would the producres even attempt to make us believe things about K at this point, like that she can or has any inclination to cook.  And for Chleb to actually sit down behind that bowl just adds to the farce.

Points for the fake tears though Chleb.  Acting 101 quality sh*t right there.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, For Cereals said:

That meal was a disaster.  Season 👏🏽your 👏🏽food 👏🏽!  She just formed meatballs, no seasoning, sauce looked like ketchup.  Whoever said risotto was being kind, it looked like badly cooked rice.  All that white in that house, I was sure to see makeup or self tanner smears everywhere on the walls and on her shirt.

All I hear now when Kathryn is on screen is Patricia saying “inelegant life.”  Also comes to mind with Shep now.

BUT mama’s boy Chleb was wrong for leaving for 5 days with no contact.

I still can't get over the "food". It's the shocking part of the episode for me 🤣 😂 Even the jarred stuff my lazy butt uses isn't that runny! She way overcooked those noodles since they didn't even look like noodles any more.

Lmao I was scoping for tanner smears, too! I shudder when I remember how her doorway was coated orange with the stuff at the end of the season. Nasty 🤮 

Chleb is a schlub for treating anyone like that.

I do feel for Katherine because she keeps free falling and I worry what her rock bottom will entail. Addiction and poor life choices are taking a big toll, and it's sad to see. (Between her and Thomas, I feel the most for their kids, though.)

• Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

don’t like Venita, with her fake laugh.  She’s trying too hard.

I thought the same thing.  She thinks she’s the cats meow .. annoying.

1 hour ago, Lassus said:

To quote myself elsewhere regarding missing Tamra and Vicki:  Let's not say things you'll regret when you're sober.

True, just came home from an all day bbq.  Whoopi, lol.   I did think Thomas had a little more sense when it came to the kids tho.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
38 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

do feel for Katherine because she keeps free falling and I worry what her rock bottom will entail. Addiction and poor life choices are taking a big toll, and it's sad to see. (Between her and Thomas, I feel the most for their kids, though.)

If I remember correctly, doesn’t Thomas always have help in his house helping with the kids?  He certainly can afford it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Points for the fake tears though Chleb.  Acting 101 quality sh*t right there.

Yeah, Chleb and his mama are angling for a TV or social media career. And I've seen rumors online about Chleb's Miami profession.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I’m not into this cast either.  

I do like Pringle.  Is he poor?  His family lived in the baaaaaaaatery (said in Patricia’s voice.  

😄 You can live on the battery but not in it 😄 I live near Charleston and the homes on the Battery are part of the Historical Downtown District where the old money, wealthy Charlestonians live (or used to live).  Pringle's claim to Charleston fame was in the form of Robert Pringle's House which the Pringle family don't even own now sooo....IDK he's still an ok sort of dude.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, izabella said:

Or get a vasectomy.  If he really knows he doesn't want them, get a freaking vasectomy. 

Wonder if it’s up to Shep to carry on the name.  I don’t remember much about his family.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 2
On 7/8/2022 at 1:37 PM, Thumper said:

I can see this — but she should also be on birth control.  I just can’t believe his cavalier attitude.

Plus, what happens if she gets pregnant?  Will he marry her?  He looks the bachelor type.  I can’t believe she didn’t get pregnant so far.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Plus, what happens if she gets pregnant?  Will he marry her?  He looks the bachelor type.  I can’t believe she didn’t get pregnant so far.

Sadly, I think they have figured that into the show, it's "drama". They are just this stupid.

• Love 5
On 7/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, chlban said:

It seems like a pretty deliberate thing. At least, unlike Thomas and Kathryn, they have an actual relationship and Taylor does not appear to be a total train wreck. So, if she is not using Birth Control, she is making a choice.

I’m assuming she would expect Shep to marry her.  I don’t know about that tho.  After two years and no ring yet, it doesn’t look good.  I don’t think he could get better.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

😄 You can live on the battery but not in it 😄 I live near Charleston and the homes on the Battery are part of the Historical Downtown District where the old money, wealthy Charlestonians live (or used to live).  Pringle's claim to Charleston fame was in the form of Robert Pringle's House which the Pringle family don't even own now sooo....IDK he's still an ok sort of dude.

Is “battery” a street, or a river?  A peninsula?  I’m used to Chicago, where we live “in” the west loop or bucktown.. 

Sounds like his family was a prominent wealthy family, I wonder if there is still money left.

I like him with his kids, he seems like a nice guy.

13 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Yeah, Chleb and his mama are angling for a TV or social media career. And I've seen rumors online about Chleb's Miami profession.

He’s very handsome, but I don’t think he and his mama can carry a show.  What’s his Miami profession?

5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Wonder if it’s up to Shep to carry on the name.  I don’t remember much about his family.

He has a brother who is a lawyer, and he has kids.  I wonder if his family knows the disgraced Murdaugh family of well-known formerly prominent lawyers.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

Since the show has started Shep’s SL is whether he will settle down or not it’s boring at this point. He’s obviously not going to. Maybe his cousin is right and he doesn’t wanna be the only one who gets a divorce so he just never even tries. Which if he doesn’t wanna settle down then fine it’s his life but can he get a new SL and stop talking about it lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Is “battery” a street, or a river?  A peninsula?  I’m used to Chicago, where we live “in” the west loop or bucktown.. 

It’s a street and an area. East Battery runs on the eastern edge of the downtown peninsula. The Battery is an area at the tip of the peninsula where East Battery meets Murray street. The area has some of the oldest and most expensive homes in the area.

3767DF4E-F96F-4498-BEE1-1D42180C21A9.jpeg

A6C8AD10-5701-4BAF-803C-83CF4FB063CC.jpeg

• Useful 5
  • Love 8

I don't think Shep has any fear of marriage not working out.  He has a fear that it will.

I'm not knocking Shep and his mailbox-money lifestyle.  He likes waking up at noon, day drinking, meeting cute girls, hanging with friends.  

He's not hurting anyone....until now.

He has said, many times, that he really likes Taylor because she's so cool and easygoing about relationships, not pushing for marriage.  Until now.

I've thought from the beginning of their relationship, that underneath the huge glasses and leggings, is a bio-clock.

Taylor has "cool, easygoing-girl'd" herself out of 2 years.  She wants marriage & a baby, and I think she figured she'd just wait Shep out.

I have news for you, Taylor....he's not going to wake up one day, pull a George Clooney, and settle down.  Or if he does, it will be the one after you.

• Sad 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Vandy10 said:

It’s a street and an area. East Battery runs on the eastern edge of the downtown peninsula. The Battery is an area at the tip of the peninsula where East Battery meets Murray street. The area has some of the oldest and most expensive homes in the area.

Many older cities have batteries.  New York’s is especially famous.  Artillery batteries were built there to protect the settlements behind them.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Vandy10 said:

That is good to know!  I figured it was like "the battery district" or something.  It does sound funny to me to say "on the" such and such, I guess we say "I live on the lake" here.

Are those mostly still private homes, or have they turned them all into hotels?

43 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Many older cities have batteries.  New York’s is especially famous.  Artillery batteries were built there to protect the settlements behind them.  

I did not know this,  I love Battery Park in NYC, even after I was chased out of it with my 9 month old by a crazy person saying he was going to shoot me and my baby, but I figured it was named after some old family named "Battery."

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 7/8/2022 at 7:22 AM, snarts said:

Both Austen (& Shep) have issues being happy for their friends success. It's pretty sad.

Agreed, and for different reasons for both of them. I think Austen is not happy for Craig's success, because he's jealous. Craig's making a success of his sewing while Austen's Trop Hop hasn't gotten off the ground, so he puts down Craig. Shep puts down Craig for a different reason: he feels superior to Craig, and if someone that he's always felt superior to starts to come up, that threatens Shep's social standing in the group. Plus, I think Shep just likes feeling superior to others.

• Applause 2
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

That is good to know!  I figured it was like "the battery district" or something.  It does sound funny to me to say "on the" such and such, I guess we say "I live on the lake" here.

Are those mostly still private homes, or have they turned them all into hotels?

There are a couple of B&Bs in the area, but they’re mostly still private homes. Lots of them open up for tours during the year. I think specifically at Christmas time? It’s to see the historic homes and such. Don’t remember the details as it’s been so many years now since I lived downtown.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Vandy10 said:

There are a couple of B&Bs in the area, but they’re mostly still private homes. Lots of them open up for tours during the year. I think specifically at Christmas time? It’s to see the historic homes and such. Don’t remember the details as it’s been so many years now since I lived downtown.

You are correct.  Most of the homes are privately owned but the ones that are owned by the city are open to the public for tours or have turned into B&B's.  Some I've heard can be rented out for parties, wedding receptions, ect. 

As far as Pringle's house goes, the Pringle family doesn't own it anymore so I'm not sure how much money is still in the family name.  I remember last year Patricia was calling John the "Budweiser" of men to Madison for some odd reason.  I could never figure out why she was hot in getting Madison and John hooked up.  This season it's not even mentioned that they even dated.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 7/7/2022 at 6:22 PM, Thumper said:

She’s not?????!!!! Does Shep know that?  
I did not like her light blue leggings with a crop top outfit.  She’s got the figure, but I don’t like that look.

I have to laugh when it comes to anyone being surprised at a possible pregnancy. Those who do not want kids, will not get pregnant, or get anyone pregnant. If Peter Pan doesn't want to pay $$ for offspring, he should protect himself.

• Love 7
On 7/12/2022 at 8:53 AM, Starlight925 said:

Taylor....he's not going to wake up one day, pull a George Clooney, and settle down.  Or if he does, it will be the one after you.

Sadly, guys like Shep will marry the gal after Taylor, yet he will mourn the loss of his "perfect Taylor" to his poor suffering wife, every day.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6