Type keyword(s) to search

This Award Goes To... Abbott Elementary Superlatives

• Start Topic

(edited)

With Emmy nominations coming in the next few weeks, what recognitions will Abbott Elementary receive?  

I hope they get a Best Comedy nomination, and a Best Actress or Best Writing for Quinta Brunson.  I'd love a nomination for Sheryl Lee Ralph for Best Supporting Actress, but I think Janelle James (Ava) is probably a lock for that category (She probably has the best chance of winning, too.  It seems like over-the-top characters win over more understated characters like Barbara.)

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Love 3
(edited)

Writing and directing.  Most comedies take a season to hit their stride.  Abbot Elementary hit it right out of the gate.

That could be attributed to talent behind the camera, casting, luck, or some combination thereof.  I bet they get nominated for writing or directing.  Those awards go to specific episodes rather than the series as a whole.  Randall Einhorn is listed a director of the first five episodes, and Quinta Brunson is the primary writer of the first two episodes.

So I would not be surprised if one or both of them get the nod.

Edited by Roaster
  • Love 2

Janelle James and Sheryl Lee Ralph were nommed for supporting actress

Tyler James Williams was nommed for supporting actor

I also believe Quinta was nommed for a writing award.

If I am not mistaken, Abbott is the only broadcast show/actors to be nommed outside of the late night shows and SNL.

• Love 5

I still think Abbott should have gotten a directing nomination (not that I know all that much about TV production).

On 7/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, DearEvette said:

If I am not mistaken, Abbott is the only broadcast show/actors to be nommed outside of the late night shows and SNL.

The academy really loves paid TV.  Especially Ted Lasso.

• Love 3

And... the pre-Emmy's award circuit clean up continues. 

They did well in the HCA (Hollywood Critics Association) awards.  AE won the following:

• Best Writing in a Broadcast Network or Cable Series, Comedy - (Pilot episode)
  • Best Supporting Actress in a Broadcast Network or Cable Series, Comedy - Janelle James
  • Best Actress in a Broadcast Network or Cable Series, Comedy - Quinta Brunson
  • Best Broadcast Network Series, Comedy
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2

My co-worker, Chris Perfetti's mom, is going to the Emmy's with him as his +1 for some of the events. She said he isn't allowed to bring her for the awards for best comedy because they want to use the +1 seats for production staff, but she and her husband will be alternating as his +1 for other events and parties. Woo hoo!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 9

I was rooting for Janelle, but I am super happy Sheryl won and I know it was probably on the strength of the 'Sweet Baby Jesus and the Grown one too..." scene.  LOL. 

Major props to Quinta for writing.  I knew she would not get it for acting, so very pleased she got it for writing.

Kinda bummed they didn't win for best comedy, I honestly do think their season was better than S2 of Ted Lasso but it is still a great showing for a network show.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I introduced this show to my mom about 2 months ago, and she happened to be at my house when the Emmys aired. We screamed and cried for their wins. Well deserved. 

Mockumentaries that aren't titled "Modern Family" haven't received a ton of love from the Television Academy. They get nominated but essentially never win, ask Mike Schur! 

This was a welcome surprise. I hope Janelle gets her turn to win next year

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Abbott also cleaned up at the NAACP Image awards this weekend as well.  They got

Best Comedy  Series

Best Actress (Quinta)

Best Supporting Actor (Tyler)

Best Supporting Actress (Janelle)

Best Breakthough (Quinta)

Best Writing (Student Transfer -- the Courtney episode)

Also... I think collectively their outfits for NAACP awars were better... LOL

• Like 5