Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Covet

• Start Topic

This season seems to be all over the place. Half a dozen plot lines with no apparent continuity.  I did have a good snort with Deran walking up to the celebrity estate in a fake LAFD uniform, sporting greasy long hair and a full beard, yet still managing to buffalo the staff into letting him onto the premises.

Smurf continues to give me the creeps.  And Pope is so broken.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Jay makes bad choices with women. Nicki wasn't a bad person, but she was immature and not well suited for the Cody's lifestyle. He trusted the hitwoman girl working for Pete and she caused him real trouble. Now he'd rather have a married woman, with all the drama that will bring, than date the attractive lawyer who actually knows who he is and will probably keep her mouth shut. Bad choice.

I don't know what they are doing with Deran and Craig. It seems like Craig's friend will cause him trouble, but they are really dragging out how/why that will happen. We've seen Deran menace an influencer and beat up a guy at that restaurant with no consequences. Once again they are either dragging out what happens or they are just randomly writing things for the boys to fill time.

The only thing that makes sense is Pope. He is going to get arrested. The question is will the attention to Pope also help bring down the other Codys.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

Jay makes bad choices with women. Nicki wasn't a bad person, but she was immature and not well suited for the Cody's lifestyle. He trusted the hitwoman girl working for Pete and she caused him real trouble. Now he'd rather have a married woman, with all the drama that will bring, than date the attractive lawyer who actually knows who he is and will probably keep her mouth shut. Bad choice.

I don't know what they are doing with Deran and Craig. It seems like Craig's friend will cause him trouble, but they are really dragging out how/why that will happen. We've seen Deran menace an influencer and beat up a guy at that restaurant with no consequences. Once again they are either dragging out what happens or they are just randomly writing things for the boys to fill time.

The only thing that makes sense is Pope. He is going to get arrested. The question is will the attention to Pope also help bring down the other Codys.

Maybe it goes back to J's stupidest uncle taking Nicky from him, or the cops setting up a honey trap to get the Cody's. With their business lawyer all but saying they are set for life with the skim off their laundering properties we had  Craig  telling Vince they are just in it for the addictive kicks. I think that J. wants to take, Counselor Lark is giving it to him while he is taking Penny from a hero Marine.

• Like 1

I didn’t really like this episode. Smurf creeps me out so bad every time with Pope it’s hard to watch,

Of course someone wants to blow up their life to be with sociopath J. Not sure what’s so irresistible about him but I’m over it and do not care at all about him and this married chick.

No way Deran would’ve got in that easy to the celebrities house. Lol stupid.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I dunno, J’s kind of sexy to me this season. I guess because all the the others are so miserable and grumpy in comparison.

So do we think this Taylor kid is going to switch allegiances and become the new “adopted Cody” or is it pure luck that he injured himself enough to get in the compound?

How big is Oceanside supposed to be? I feel like Smurf is not smart robbing a church that her obviously troubled son just stated attending. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I always wanted to know why they called Andrew "Pope." So I guess, be careful what you wish for, because I'm not sure I buy it. Andrew just seems way too sensitive to accept that moniker. It's like they're mocking him by calling him that.

Pope always looks like he's about ten seconds away from murdering someone, he is just so brooding and menacing. When he brought that kid back to his garage and told him not to go into the house, he started walking towards him in a menacing looking way and the kid actually took a step backwards, and then Pope says "Do you want me to make you a sandwich?" I just laughed out loud at that.

This season seems to be all over the place. Half a dozen plot lines with no apparent continuity.

Agreed, and also agree with TooMuchRealityTV. I don't get where they're going with Deran or Craig. It seems like Deran is much friendlier with J now than he ever was before, and I think that's because Craig has sort of distanced himself. Craig was the brother Deran was always closest to and now he's off somewhere doing his own thing. But I think both these characters have been underwritten for the past three seasons because half the show is devoted to the flashbacks. And even though the flashbacks are working better this season, they are still taking a lot of time away from the present day storyline, and it doesn't feel like the writers are all that interested in it.

I would love to know how the actors really feel about this flashback gimmick. It must mean it only takes them half the time to shoot their scenes each episode than it did in the first three seasons. I wonder if they're happy about that or if they resent their diminished presence on the show.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

I’ll bet they make her husband this abusive jerk then J will kill him for her. Since J is already in love with her or something because he’s an idiot.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I wish the flashbacks focused more on how the kids experienced the past instead of reiterating how awful Smurf was as a person. That horse has been beaten enough. I don’t even think it would require much change, but it feels like if she’s in a scene, she’s the center rather than the kids. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I now FF all the retro scenes with Smurf and kids, just can’t take it and it is way overdone.  We get the point already!  Leila looks like she put on some weight facially.  I thought the young Pope was doing a good job until this season and now he seems to be overdoing the brooding.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think the whole point of the flashbacks is to show that Pope AND Julia never really had a chance.   It’s one thing to know Smurf was a shit parent but It’s another to see the outright  effort she took in blocking any chance they had at. something other then the life she wanted for them.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think the whole point of the flashbacks is to show that Pope AND Julia never really had a chance.   It’s one thing to know Smurf was a shit parent but It’s another to see the outright  effort she took in blocking any chance they had at. something other then the life she wanted for them.  

Its also good to get to know more about Julia. She was just cipher before another victim of Smurf. At least now we have a sense of her personality and it explains a bit about Jay. Like the fact that his new girlfriend looks just like her probably has something to do with his attraction.

This girl also seems like she needs rescuing and that plays into Jay's brand of mommy issues nicely too. Plus Jay is addicted to chaos in his own way that's half the reason he sticks with his Uncles. Lark not bringing any drama to the table worked against her in the end.

Amy popping up again is interesting. She and Pope were many shades of fucked up but that would be true of anyone willing to get involved with Pope.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

Its also good to get to know more about Julia. She was just cipher before another victim of Smurf. At least now we have a sense of her personality and it explains a bit about Jay. Like the fact that his new girlfriend looks just like her probably has something to do with his attraction.

This girl also seems like she needs rescuing and that plays into Jay's brand of mommy issues nicely too. Plus Jay is addicted to chaos in his own way that's half the reason he sticks with his Uncles. Lark not bringing any drama to the table worked against her in the end.

Amy popping up again is interesting. She and Pope were many shades of fucked up but that would be true of anyone willing to get involved with Pope.

Maybe mommy has part of it but didn't Nicky pop up married to Marine last season. So now J. gets to take a wife from a Marine. As with Nicky popping up now we have Amy, perhaps a story reason or a parade of ex guest stars for the final season

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

What I also find interesting about the flashbacks is that Baz sees the world the same way Smurf does.   It isn’t hard to see why she took him in.   There is a whole lot of weir jealousy going on between Baz and Pope that was hinted at during season 1 but is being explored more here.  Smurf doesn’t actually want her children (including Baz) to be loyal to anyone but her.  She get jealous when Julia flirts with Baz but also when Julia tries to comfort Pope.   She sends Baz to case the church Pope attends.    It’s all pretty wild the level she manipulates her own children.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Did I miss the explanation of who fathered Craig and Deran? 

Deran’s dad was guest star Dennis Leary a few seasons ago. I think Craig’s may have been on too?

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, MCMLXXVII said:

Deran’s dad was guest star Dennis Leary a few seasons ago. I think Craig’s may have been on too?

Thanks for jogging my memory about Deran. Was Craig’s father the surfer guy with the van? 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Thanks for jogging my memory about Deran. Was Craig’s father the surfer guy with the van? 

Craig's father is Jake. We have seen him in both present day and in flashbacks. He was part of the crew Young Smurf worked with. Older Jake was also shown a few times on the show as well. I think the last time may have been the episode the boys have a memorial for Smurf at the house.

Edited by TooMuchRealityTV
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think Amy popping up is foreshadowing Pope's arrest and/or downfall. If you recall, he confessed to her that he killed Catherine. He didn't mention her by name but he described how he killed her. It's why they broke up. And now we've got this cold-case cop investigating Catherine's death. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
43 minutes ago, featherhead said:

I was just thinking. If the cop thinks Pope killed Catherine why put a kid in danger by putting him undercover with Pope. Stupidity, imo.

Par for the course of the cops chasing the Cody's. The first cop shown forced a teacher to rape J.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think Amy popping up is foreshadowing Pope's arrest and/or downfall. If you recall, he confessed to her that he killed Catherine. He didn't mention her by name but he described how he killed her. It's why they broke up. And now we've got this cold-case cop investigating Catherine's death. 

It wasn't until this episode that I realized that Amy is played by the same gal who plays Teeter on Yellowstone. I didn't recognize her from Animal Kingdom when she started on Yellowstone either. I really liked this show but this season is starting to squick me out with the Smurf scenes. It's starting to give off incestuous vibes and that literally turns my stomach. I may have to just fast forward thru those scenes or at least mute it and use captions. Every time she says baby to Pope I about throw up. 

• Like 2
On 7/6/2022 at 9:49 PM, Emily Thrace said:

Good insight about Jay. He's so unexpressive and internal that I can usually never tell what he's thinking. But what you said about Jay's mommy issues and being attracted to chaos makes a lot of sense. He's obviously into the married paralegal. One clue was the fact that he sought her out when he didn't need her to help with a job. And when he's with her is some of the only the time we see Finn Cole smile in a scene. 

And he obviously has a good business mind. But I wonder if he really wants to do right by the family, or if he's setting them up. I still remember him whispering to a sleeping Smurf, "I'm going to take all of your money." Does that mean he'll take it from his uncles also? 

I keep yelling at Deran and Craig, "Make up already!" They both seem to be suffering. I know they both have their own personal issues, but it seems to be eating away at them that they don't have each other as a sounding board or a friend. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

J's married girlfriend is probably about to become a widow. She likely set J up to do it. Wouldn't surprise me if her boss is her real lover.

Interesting the Codys assumed Brock the party guy didn't have an inside contact at LAFD. Deran's cover could've been blown if they'd tried to go around him to work a deal on the permits.

Smurf tried to make sure Pope wouldn't dare show his face at the rectory again, with a fairly lame robbery. She was diabolical.

I had to go back and refresh my memory on who Amy was. Interesting that she just happened to be at the hospital. Maybe she's working with the cops.

Not diabolical enough, apparently. Young Pope assaulting up the priest could bring serious trouble.

These new owners of the bar competing with Deran's are sus. It'll be bad if they're undercover and about to get proof of the Deran's extortion racket.

Pope's skater kid has wormed his way onto the Cody property. Ruh roh.

Craig's biker buddy is trying to get in on one of Craig's jobs. Ruh roh. (Though on reddit there's a theory he's going run a job ON the Codys. I still think he's a cop though.)

• Love 1