Type keyword(s) to search

Compare & Contrast: Book vs Movie vs Show

• Start Topic

On 11/15/2022 at 6:58 PM, magdalene said:

I am curious about that too.  Since  they actually changed who "kills" Lestat in the show.

It's possible. Lestat has already name-dropped Those Who Must Be Kept so by the time he meets Louis he's already had blood from Akasha (which should be the explanation for why Lestat is so much stronger than Louis and can do all kinds of neat things that Louis can't do). Claudia had an encounter with Killer, who is the maker of Baby Jenks in Queen of the Damned. Baby Jenks was a vampire in her teens like Claudia is in this show. So it seems like they could just mush the two characters together and have Claudia appear in modern times only to be toasted by Akasha like Baby Jenks was in the book. I don't see how Armand could kill Claudia and still end up as Louis' great love unless there is some mind control mojo going on.

2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I don't see how Armand could kill Claudia and still end up as Louis' great love unless there is some mind control mojo going on.

Me neither. I don't like Armand.  I admit I am looking at him through Lestat's eyes which is hardly objective. One of the shittiest things Armand does is make Lestat believe  for a long time that Louis is also dead.  Claudia wasn't just executed because she attempted to kill her maker - a big no-no. They also kill her because she was made at such a young age, also a big no-no. Since they changed her age for the TV show, anything goes now.

I saw the movie this weekend and I'd forgotten how over the top Tom Cruise was in a good way. He was hilarious and seemed to be having a blast with the role, especially compared to Brad Pitt who was having a hard time in his personal life at that time. 

I liked movie Lestat's relationship with Claudia in the movie. Yes, he turned her to keep Louie with him but he seemed to love her too and had fun with her. He seemed hurt when they were fighting.

The TV show only show a little fun in the beginning when Claudia was first turned, but then seem to despise each other after that.

And uh, I don't know how I missed gay subtext (and just text) back in the day. Looks so obvious to me now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/28/2022 at 12:03 PM, Snow Apple said:

I saw the movie this weekend and I'd forgotten how over the top Tom Cruise was in a good way. He was hilarious and seemed to be having a blast with the role, especially compared to Brad Pitt who was having a hard time in his personal life at that time. 

I liked movie Lestat's relationship with Claudia in the movie. Yes, he turned her to keep Louie with him but he seemed to love her too and had fun with her. He seemed hurt when they were fighting.

The TV show only show a little fun in the beginning when Claudia was first turned, but then seem to despise each other after that.

And uh, I don't know how I missed gay subtext (and just text) back in the day. Looks so obvious to me now.

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said. I think that it’s harder to see Lestat and Claudia having any sort of relationship in the show version because Claudia has been aged up. Book Claudia needed parents for a lot longer, and it seems that movie Lestat was way less possessive of Louis than show Lestat was portrayed to be. Perhaps that’s because they could be explicit with their sexual relationship in the show?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Why is there discussion about the consequences of publishing the new memoirs of Louis, i.e., vampires climbing the Dubai towers as mentioned in the AMC series?  The initial book was transcribed from the cassette tapes and published by David.  Educate me.   

Armand is not a cool vampire. I rather see Marius or Gabrielle. Louis is decent but I forgot about him after the first book and found it hilarious how Lestat chided David's first publishing of Louis's initial account.  

Edited by ALKOHOLIC
I am learning about forum posting.
1 hour ago, ALKOHOLIC said:

Why is there discussion about the consequences of publishing the new memoirs of Louis, i.e., vampires climbing the Dubai towers as mentioned in the AMC series?  The initial book was transcribed from the cassette tapes and published by David.  Educate me.   

They haven’t really dived into that yet. I’m kinda of waiting for it but they spend about 80% of each episode in the past that I am not sure when that will happen. 

2 hours ago, ALKOHOLIC said:

This isn't in Interview With the Vampire but seems to be adapted from two different sources in later books. First and foremost, this happens when Lestat becomes a rock star and releases a bunch of songs and videos detailing deep, secret vampire lore (Those Who Must Be Kept - Akasha and Enkil who were the very first vampires). Vampires declare open season on him because they do not take kindly to these secrets being revealed. This culminates in a big vampire attack at a Lestat concert (which starts at the end of The Vampire Lestat and continues in Queen of the Damned). Akasha shows up and starts toasting fools left and right but leaves Lestat's crew alone because she has Lestat in her thrall. I don't know how much of this will find its way into the show. The Vampire Lestat and The Queen of the Damned could cover a couple of seasons in and of themselves and Louis is a minor character in both books.

Second, Armand's origin story (which is covered from several angles in several of the books) features a very similar attack where a group of Satan-worshiping vampires climb the walls and grab him (back in the day but shortly after he has been vamped), separating him from Marius. I don't remember the exact motivation for the attack but I think it was along the lines that Marius' lifestyle was too close to humanity and he was endangering vampires by being so open.

So long stories short, the first rule of Vampire Club is don't talk about Vampire Club.

• Love 1

I'm honestly not sure IWtV as a book actually exists in this telling yet. It's entirely possible I missed something but I got the impression from the way they're framing it that Louis attacked a drugged out Daniel at the end of their 1973 interview and the tapes kind of moldered after that like a bad fever dream until now. Given how badly we see the vampire world reacting to IWtV and then Lestat's memoir and "coming out" so to speak both in that book and in QotD because the first rule of vampire club is indeed that you don't tell mortals about vampire club (or at least any of the real names or specifics of it to confirm that it's not just genre fiction), it makes me think they'll at least keep some version of that plotline intact.

• Love 1