Type keyword(s) to search

Keep Breathing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Keep Breathing is a survival thriller with all 6 episodes airing at the same time on July 28 on Netflix.

MV5BYzcxYWIyYzMtYWVmOC00ZTRmLWIxNGQtYjc2
Liv is a corporate-lawyer who finesses passage on a small plane going to a remote region of Canada. Unfortunately the plane crashes and Liv is now alone in the woods. 
MV5BNzE2MjM3MzUtMWUzOS00ODBiLWI3ZjAtYzc2
MV5BN2Y0OTg3OWEtY2QzZi00N2Q3LTgwNjItY2Uy
MV5BOWFhOTQyNTktODk4MC00NjY3LWFjY2EtNmNi
Liv must use all of her resourcefulness to figure out how to survive and find the motivation to to keep going, to "Keep Breathing". She finds her determination from the people who had the greatest impact on her life.
MV5BMjBmNmUxMmYtNWUxNS00ZmM2LTlkZGMtMjU5
KeepBreathing_Season1_Episode4_00_24_48_

Melissa Barrera plays Liv, a young woman stranded in the Canadian wilderness after a plane crash.

MV5BZGY2OTk0OWMtMmFhNC00NWI5LWFiMzUtNzFi
Joselyn Picard plays Young Liv.
MV5BNGUxMjhkZDAtNWRiOS00YzM2LWEwN2YtOWQ1
Juan Pablo Espinosa plays Liv's Father.
MV5BYWZkYmQxMjEtM2FiNC00OWUyLWI2ZWMtZmYz
Florencia Lozano plays Liv's Mother. 
MV5BZGNiMzZhN2ItNWRiZi00OWQ2LTgxMmItYzk1
Austin Stowell plays the Co-Pilot.
MV5BYWQ0YjcwMzctYzU0ZS00NDNlLTk0ZWItMWUy
Mike Dopud plays George.
Jeff Wilbusch plays Danny, Liv's on-again, off-again boyfriend.
MV5BYWU1Y2NjMWQtYjcxMy00NmUxLTgxNGYtYTkz

Getenesh Berhe plays Ruth.

• Love 1

Keep Breathing       July 28        Netflix    

Episodes 1-6      Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Arrivals

Desperate to reach Inuvik after her flight is canceled, New York lawyer Liv Rivera hitches a ride on a small private plane. Then, disaster strikes.

S01.E02: Fire & Water

With the plane lying beneath the frigid water, Liv attempts to retrieve valuable supplies at the bottom of the lake as past demons come to the surface.

S01.E03: Hierarchy of Needs

In the wilderness, Liv scrambles to secure food, fire, water and shelter. Flashbacks reveal Liv's painful past and the reason for her journey.

S01.E04: Departures

Childhood memories help — and hinder — a resourceful Liv as she hikes through the woods in search of the light she saw the night before.

S01.E05: Awake & Dreaming

Slipping in and out of consciousness, a trapped Liv must decide whether to continue fighting for survival — or just let go.

S01.E06: You Are Home 

After a giant leap, Liv faces a series of daunting challenges but finds hope and clarity when visions of her loved ones appear.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

What did Liv pick up from the water at the end of ep 1?

Spoiler

Her sonogram.

Yikes. What a waste of a Friday evening. Promising premise, terrible execution. The whole plane crash survival storyline was just the background to an extended therapy session. Lots of endless flashbacks and hallucinations of parental and relationship angst amidst silliness like her not getting thirsty and searching for water until day three or four of her ordeal in the wilderness.

And don't get me started on the ending.

Spoiler

Was her giving birth a flashback? Flash forward? Flash sideways? Hallucination? It was like all the worst parts of the demise of LOST packaged into what presumably was supposed to be an edgy, ambiguous gasp for life.

Skip this one.

• Love 3

I actually liked it more than most people.  It’s a lot better than some things that get multiple seasons.  It was drawn out a little too much, imo.

Since the entire thing has been released, the details aren’t spoilers, right?

I thought it was odd how anyone would have known the pilots were flying something illegal, except for the brilliant lawyer. Lol. 

I didn’t mind the flashbacks, though they were very frequent, but I didn’t get where her baby was.  I did fast forward a few times, so many I missed it, but she didn’t think much about a baby while tying to survive.  Just being pregnant and giving birth. Did the baby live with the father and not her?    

I’ve never understood why people, like pilots, who fly over wilderness areas don’t wear a satellite watch that can send a signal if they need help. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed it! If you were looking for a survival story, you would be sadly disappointed. I thought it was more about her struggle to get out of the emotional wilderness she had been in ever since her mother left. As for the ending, I interpreted it to mean that since she had worked out all her emotional baggage through her trip through the forest the next scene was a flash forward to giving birth to her baby and hopefully a better life.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, I didn’t realize that was a flash forward. I thought it had already happened.  So, she was pregnant?  

Yep!  Like SY said upthread, the thing she was looking at at the end of ep 1 was her sonogram.

Pregnant?  She was perfectly flat.  Where was the baby? 

Spoiler

There was no way a pregnancy could survive after all those falls, especially the fall from the side of the mountain and through the tree.  She should have died, but, no, all she had was a sore leg.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I agree with @DonnaMae. No way the pregnancy would've survived all that trauma. It truly was plot armor that she didn't break her neck or die from hypothermia considering everything that happened.

Moreover, there is no way in hell drug traffickers would've given her a ride on their plane. No way.  I know they needed that little twist to ensure no one would be looking for the plane, because no flight plan was filed, but I call BS on her being on the plane in the first place.

I could appreciate that this experience got Liv to evaluate her life and work through her issues, but honestly this was forgettable at best. Since it was only 6 episodes I watched until the end and I'll admit I was curious about where they were going with it (which really ended up to be nowhere), but I wouldn't recommend this and would not watch a 2nd season. I gave it thumbs down on Netflix. 

• Like 1
On 7/30/2022 at 11:26 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought it was odd how anyone would have known the pilots were flying something illegal, except for the brilliant lawyer. Lol. 

That was pretty much shouted to the audience during the plane ride when Sam told her he was going to photograph the caribou for National Geographic and Liv said it was the wrong season.  

I didn’t hate this overall, but got really sick of the childhood flashbacks after a while. WE GET IT, the mom was flaky because she was most likely bipolar. They could have dialed back the flashbacks by 50% and still gotten the point across.

ETA: when the pilot and “photographer” were so adamant about not wanting her on the flight my mind immediately went to “they’re smuggling something”.

Edited by CarpeFelis
On 7/30/2022 at 1:20 AM, Sheikh Yerbouti said:

Skip this one

I wish I had read this about 6 episodes ago.  I have been skipping all of the flashbacks/hallucinations, so maybe more like 3 hours ago, but I still wish I had skipped it entirely.   I have 15 minutes left in the last episode and now I am afraid I am going to be deeply disappointed.

I liked it. Of course, you have to suspend your disbelief that she and her baby survived that amount of trauma with such few injuries. But I liked the story, even the flashbacks. Many people don't get therapy and going through this intense experience made Liv face her childhood and helped her heal. It pulled me in.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1