Type keyword(s) to search

The Phantom of the Open (2022)

• Start Topic

Very sweet British movie based on the true story of a man who entered the 1976 British Open despite never having played an actual round of golf before, starring Mark Rylance and Sally Hawkins.  And two guys I'd never heard of who play his disco-dancing twin sons (also true), who come close to stealing the show.

It's designed to be a heart-warming crowd pleaser, which is not a knock in my book--if it succeeds.  Which this one did, for the "crowd" in my theater, anyway--three singletons.  However, one of them approached me on the way out to talk about the movie, which almost never happens any more. 

• Like 1

I saw this last night, and I loved it.  I just love the audacity of entering the Open so many times under so many different names, just because he could.  Is there really a tournament in Michigan named after him?

Practice is the road to perfection!