Type keyword(s) to search

Tomorrow's News Of Continuum Today (Delivered By Internet Instead Of By Cat)

SyFy CAN pick it up but they'd have to pay for all the production, which they weren't doing before (I think they just paid a hefty licensing fee) and I bet they won't want to.

So, according to that article, last year Showcase renewed before Syfy signed on. This year Syfy is already on board, yet the haven't renewed.

That makes me nervous.

So, according to that article, last year Showcase renewed before Syfy signed on. This year Syfy is already on board, yet the haven't renewed.

That makes me nervous.

I am a bit confused, who renews Continuum; would it be Showcase or SyFy (and if SyFy is on board, why did they jump the shark to renew the show if the original Network/Station didn't and it might not be renewed?)?

Hopeful, yes, but doesn't sound like he actually knows anything...

I don't know what to think. At first it seemed like the delay was a bad sign, but the fact that we still haven't heard makes me think there's some hope, though I'm not overly confident.

**Edited because I know the difference between "hurt" and "heard," even if it does make for an amusing typo :)

Edited by dargosmydaddy

Yeah, I am going to have to agree with dargosmydaddy, that the guy just doesn't know if the show was renewed. Although, I am still worried that they won't renew this show or they may just put it in the "hiatus" category. 

I am going to agree with iMonrey, that a lack of hearing anything on a Season 4 or cancellation is not good news. It's not the filming that I am worried about but the fact that this show can go into the "permanently on hiatus" status if we don't have any news within this year.  This could kill any momentum that the show has right now and it can be easily be replaced with something else. 

Even if they don't usually start filming until November, the actors are only under contract for so long. If they let their options expire the actors are free to go elsewhere for work, and it seems unlikely to me that they can keep them waiting until just before they'd usually start filming.

To give an example, the cast of Community were held on their contracts until June 30 (which was the exact day Yahoo swooped in and picked up the option, thus holding onto them). Since Continuum runs kind of opposite from them, being a summer-ish show, I would imagine their contracts run through December 31.

Of course, this is completely conjecture. I wonder if there's any way to find out when their contracts expire.

From http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/continuum-not-cancelled-or-renewed-for-season-four-yet-33780/

The show’s official Twitter feed recently announced that series creator Simon Davis Barry would be doing a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) in the near future — “as a thank you” to the fans.

A follower asked if this “thank you” was meant as a goodbye to the series. The response was “Hell no! ;)”.

And here's the "Hell no!" FWIW: twitter.com/ContinuumSeries/status/508000691038994433

ETA: These Twitter posts were all last Friday, September 5.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Didn't we know by this time last year that the show had been renewed? I'm not saying that's a sure sign it's been cancelled but it's sure not a good sign.

Yes.  Here's a timeline of the series' schedule (Canadian airings) and renewal annoucements (all pulled from Wikipedia):

27-May-2012:  Season One Premiere Date.

05-Aug-2012:  Season One Finale Date.

24-Aug-2012:  Renewal Annoucement (Season Two).

21-Apr-2013:  Season Two Premiere Date.

05-Jun-2013:  Renewal Annoucement (Season Three).

04-Aug-2013:  Season Two Finale Date.

16-Mar-2014:  Season Three Premiere Date.

22-Jun-2014:  Season Three Finale Date.

Positive thinking:  There is some sort of contract renegotations going on behind the scenes that is dragging out the renewal announcement.

(And, Shapeshifter, I liked your post because of the Early Edition reference.)

• Love 1

For anyone who is curious about Continuum's Season 3 ratings (but I have no idea if this was for SyFy or for Showcase's ratings):

Final season averages: 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 840,000 total viewers.

For comparisons: The second season of Continuum averaged a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.2 viewers.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/continuum-season-three-ratings-32328/

Here's an article on why it's taking so long to make a decision: Here's why we still haven't heard anything about a fourth season of Continuum

The reason it's taken so long, at least according to a Globe and Mail story about the production climate for dramas produced in that corner of Vancouver, Canada? Apparently the series is “in limbo” while talks continue between the studio and Showcase to find a “financial formula” that would allow the series to return for a fourth season. Hey, that’s better news than a cancellation. At least for now.

My hope would be for a shortened fourth season that would allow them to finish the story and give the fans some closure. That would be far better than a cheaper version without some of the regular actors, and another season finale leaving us hanging.

• Love 1

I hope it doesn't result in a shorter season and/or reduction of characters.

Although if we get closure with the storyline it would be better than nothing at all.

If they are planning on cancelling this show, then some (really good) closure is what I would need. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Yes, Sonya was killed off. Something I was wondering is if they're done with Brad Tonkin - with his younger self in the present however destructive the soldiers are from the future are he and others in the general population in danger of being killed.

Edited by Cobb Salad

Oh boy, still no word?  I hope they at least get a mini-season to finish this story, because that was not a good stopping point.  I'm weird in that I'm sort of glad Kyra has a semi-love-interest in the present, for reasons I've never been able to pin down entirely, I never quite bought her relationship with her husband and all she ever talked about was getting back to her son. 

Plus I enjoyed that dueling Alexes trying to duke it out in their own right.  Although I think Alexis Doig did a much better job here than she did on Stargate, I don't think the series would suffer from the loss of her character.  I hope they figure out a way to iron out the finances.   It isn't a great how, but I found it enjoyable enough that I'd like to see more of it.  

• Love 2

stillshimpy, IA with you about Keira and Brad. I really liked them and was glad she now has someone she can confide in who can really empathize with her time displacement plight.

And yes yes yes to never buying her relationship with her husband. He was so boring!

• Love 1

And yes yes yes to never buying her relationship with her husband. He was so boring!

I kept thinking he was betrayed her or something even though I can't remember if there was evidence of that. But I agree that I really like that she has someone in the present.

• Love 1

I kept thinking he was betrayed her or something even though I can't remember if there was evidence of that. But I agree that I really like that she has someone in the present.

As with Keira's husband, I think that we did learn (through one of those flashbacks-Fast Forwards, way back in Season 1) that he did have an affair, either when they were engaged or when they recently got married. I never liked her husband, and he always came off (to me anyway) as a douche.

Then again, I always thought that he was more realistic of the current state of their world  (of how the future Corporation Congress runs their government) than Keira, but that doesn't mean that Keira didn't truly believed in the system. But that her belief seemed to be more nuanced/romantic, and more influenced by the thought that this system truly does help all, while his belief was that the system  was hard, but that was just life. 

As with her new love interest, well I am happy that she isn't pining over her husband anymore but I just don't really like the character (and what was his name again?). Personally, they could kill him off (if) there is a new season, and I won't really mind (and I do think that his character caused Keira to be distracted with her mission to get back home, but that could be more of Keira's realization that she probably won't ever get home). 

Edited by TVSpectator

Continuum renewed for for final 6 episode season!!!!

TORONTO, December 8, 2014 - Tonight, in an exclusive sit-down with Continuum star Rachel Nichols, ET Canada confirmed that Showcase's Canadian original action-drama returns for a fourth and final season of six episodes airing in 2015. Continuum's time-mending and mind-bending tale continues following a suspenseful third season that reached more than 2.35 million viewers (v2+)* and ended with a cliffhanger finale that won the night as the #1 program in key demos for all of Canadian specialty**.

"All great stories deserve an end. I am excited and grateful to finish Continuum with the riveting conclusion it deserves," said series star, Rachel Nichols. "This series finale is dedicated to the devoted fans who have loyally supported us since day one."

This is frankly awesome!! I had already given up hope!!!

Edited by AzureOwl
  • Love 3

Finally!

When I started this thread 4 months ago, I really thought we'd have bad news in a few weeks, so this is a pleasant surprise.

I'm imagining some crucial show runner did some time traveling to fix what was needed for the last season to happen and then slightly missed the mark when traveling back to announce the good news. Heh. Meta fan fiction, if you will.

I'm going to have to at least read some recaps to refresh my memory before it airs. With only 6 episodes, I doubt they'll do a whole recap episode a là Lost. How long will it have been between the end of 3 and the beginning of 4?

• Love 2

I was shocked when I saw this, I thought it was going to get cancelled. I'm so glad they are letting them wrap up the story even if it's only 6 episodes. Better than nothing, and they know it before they started shooting it.

Edited by blueray

Well shoot, I just deleted the last episode from my DVR, certain the show was toast. I hope that a.) the Sci Fi channel is going to air the last season and b.) they re-air all of season 3 before the premier of season 4 so I can refresh myself on the storyline, which became overly complicated in the third season. (They did that before they aired season 3 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.)

Holy crow!  Good news, that I had so entirely given up hope of ever reading, I had actually stopped checking.  

Six episodes is fine by me!  I had been so convinced all I'd ever see of the characters was that last "Well, you're all really freaking hosed now, aren't you?" shot.   Now I'll get hosing details, presumably.  Whee! 

• Love 3

The way I see it, they got about three quarters of their normal budget, and cut the whole thing to half a season to have expensive effects needed to go with the plot-killing cliffhanger. "Martains from the future blow up vancouver!!!!" WW3 video game show.