Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Dear Mama

• Start Topic

Liz’s work to find out more about a found skin sample hits a roadblock. Meanwhile, Michael continues to gain Bonnie’s trust, but Clyde may not be as easily persuaded. Also, Isobel finally finds the courage to be honest with Anatsa and Maria suffers a devastating loss.

Airdate: 06/27/2022

Why did they kill Mimi off in the first 2 mins. It was random and very throw away.

Of course Bonnie had to have a crush/kiss on Michael. How predictable. I get she is naïve but men and women can be just friends.

I really dont know what to think of Anatsa breaking up with Isobel because it was too hard... Like what. Her reasoning didn't really make sense. Not in the time frame of their relationship issues.

Now give me Isobel/Kyle! 

• Love 3

Finally, the pace on the show picks up.  There are still too many extraneous characters on the show, so I was happy when Anatsa left. Hopefully there will be more.  Also, I'm not missing Alex.

Yay for Isobel/Kyle!

It was so easy to tell that Cam was the alien shapeshifter- so much for Max being a smart sheriff.  I wonder how many of them will go home to Oasis, which is either heaven or hell, depending on who you ask.

Michael's goatee is starting to eat his face.

Couple questions though:
1) Did Jones set his hands on fire back in season 2 (or was it 3)?  I don't remember him doing it, so why would that prove to the new aliens that Michael was the  "heir?"

2) When did we learn that the aliens move in packs of three?

• Love 3

Kudos to Riley Voelkel as Evil Alien Tezca shapeshifted into Deputy Jenna Cameron, and, probably even more deserving of kudos, stunt-man-turned-director Ben Hernandez Bray. Yes, we guessed Jenna wasn't really Jenna before Max did, but not too much before, and Max (Nathan Dean) was directed to show his realization gradually and carefully.
The directing of Michael among the other aliens was spot on too. 

What's up with Jenna revealing to Isobel that she was in love with Max? I mean, it's not surprising, but revealing it now? Why?

I get that they needed to thin the herd cast, but it makes the characters of Anatsa and Maria's mom look even more like plot devices than they were. At least Alex is theoretically still alive.

So, there's a Tezca in a pod in Mexico and and Evil Tezca terrorizing the Pod Squad in New Mexico. 
Sounds about right for this version of the show.

• Love 2

This was better than last week on the whole, which was an entire mess, but Mimi's death was...not great. It seemed so sloppy and hasty. The flashback was nice, though.

The last scene with the alien posing as Cam was kind of interesting because she is clearly curious about Max and his powers. I still want to see more aliens do fun stuff and throw lightning, lol. 

Michael's mustache is so unfortunate. It's distracting in literally all of his scenes.

I was glad to hear Bonnie clarify that Oasis is basically a hellscape of a planet after Clyde's attempt at acting like it was a paradise. 

If this is the end of Anatsa, fine. I don't know how I feel about her being the one to end it. I still feel like we have been told and not shown about this relationship, and so on top of her sleeping with Isobel's brother first, it's just...the emotional beats have all fallen flat, and Isobel seems like a passenger in her story. It hasn't advanced her, really. 

• Love 1

I wonder if they are going to show that a an Alex imposter has been responding to Michael's texts, and that Michael hasn't simply failed to notice that there has been no response for weeks from Alex (as he was kidnapped and probably now has purple eyes).

• LOL 1
(edited)

I enjoyed most of this episode. But there was some bad and some, mixed.

The good

The main story was interesting and finally seemed to bring the various threads, if not together, at least toward one another.  The end with Cam and Kyle finding what I assume real third member of the Team Jones Triad was cool.

I'm a little annoyed Isobel wasn't allowed to road trip with Kyle. But I guess she was needed for relationship ish with Anasta.  And we did get some Kisobel stuff and Kyle got to actually DO something.  

And I even enjoyed Michael "undercover" being completely himself circa Season 1, i.e. perpetually pissed off at Max and home planet obsessed. This further proves that I just don't like boyfriend Michael. 

The Bad

I did not appreciate Mimi dying and am straight up over Maria getting shit on by this show.  Can she not have a little calm and happiness?  WTF? She's finally not dying, but she's loses her visions and her mom dies? I repeat, WTF?  I am tired.

The Eh? Okay

I'm so confused why Anasta suddenly decided to break up with Isobel right when she's offering to open up. Did she dump Izzy when she said Anasta should go to Albuquerque and I missed it?  Because it seems odd that she would accept her girlfriend essentially ushering her out of town without comment but then break up with said girlfriend when admits she was an ass and offers to be honest about herself. Like seriously?  That was the moment their "rollercoaster" became too much?

Whatever.  I guess Anasta's gone which is what I wanted because I never really cared about her all that much and didn't love the sibling hopping. And, of course, Kisobel (Kizzy?) has room now.  But I don't want it to be instant. Iz thought herself in love with Anasta. No matter how much she already likes Kyle, she needs a minute to get her feet under her and pine for him for a little while too. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 1

I see that this show continues to pull mythology from the OG show more than the books - the third alien seems to be a mix of Nasedo and one of the Skins in this episode. 

13 hours ago, RachelKM said:

I'm so confused why Anasta suddenly decided to break up with Isobel right when she's offering to open up. Did she dump Izzy when she said Anasta should go to Albuquerque and I missed it?  Because it seems odd that she would accept her girlfriend essentially ushering her out of town without comment but then break up with said girlfriend admits she was an ass and offers to be honest about herself. Like seriously?  That was the moment their "rollercoaster" became too much?

I honestly have no idea why the writers decided to bring Anatsa back this season. If the intent was to "honor Isobel's bisexuality" or something, that was certainly a thudding failure. Instead, everyone involved looks bad, and the writing is off even for this show. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

I honestly have no idea why the writers decided to bring Anatsa back this season.

I kept waiting for a big reveal that Anatsa was really a plant for some government or other agency.
I suppose that could still happen?

But more likely Anatsa was just a bit of soapy side-drama so Isobel could have her own sob story.

• Like 1

So long Anatsa. Sadly you were only a minor plot complication and a speedbump on the road to Isobel/Kyle. I don't even get why they bothered with bringing her back other than to add some extra romantic drama and to give Isobel a female love interest, which I don't exactly call good representation. Her dumping Isobel just as she was opening up was random, but now we are closer to Isobel/Kyle, my favorite possible coupling on the show, so I cant be mad.

I can however be mad about Mimi being killed off so randomly just to make poor Maria miserable. She has never been used well as a character, and her death was so stupid and anti-climactic, talk about taking a character with a lot of potential and throwing her in the trash. 

Bonnie and Clyde's planet sounds like a pile of suck. Music rots your brain? I guess they never heard the Beatles out there. 

Alex continues to be missing and no one cares. These people really need a group chat, so many issues could be resolved if everyone had an idea of what everyone else was doing and who isn't returning their calls and could be in trouble.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I haven’t actually missed Alex at all and have never felt any chemistry between he and Michael.

I’m assuming that the reappearance of Alex will somehow be heavy and dramatic and will power the series toward its conclusion. 

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

I haven’t actually missed Alex at all and have never felt any chemistry between he and Michael.

I’m assuming that the reappearance of Alex will somehow be heavy and dramatic and will power the series toward its conclusion. 

Yes, were you thinking  

Spoiler

“dramatic” like OG Roswell Alex’s arc?

(edited)
On 6/30/2022 at 5:48 AM, Shelbie said:

I haven't either.  I think it's because for the last two seasons he has rarely been allowed to do anything of substance that isn't about Michael's angst.  His friendship with Maria has disappeared. His work with Deep Sky is all about Michael.  And we rarely see him have any scenes of substance with characters that aren't DS or Michael.  

As for his chemistry with Michael, I saw it in S1. But the relentlessness of their self-manufactured drama has burned it out.

Edited by RachelKM
Typos
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

And we rarely see him have any scenes of substance with characters that aren't DS or Michael.

I like Alex and Michael together but as a fan of just Alex this has bugged me so much. His whole existence is about Michael. He has no scenes with anyone else. Anatsa has had more scenes with other characters than him. I dont remember the last time he talked to either Liz/Maria or Kyle. 

• Like 1
(edited)

All I can think about at the beginning of each episode is where is Rosa because Amber Midthunder is still listed in the opening credits. She must have an amazing agent. The season is a third of the way over and she's nowhere to be seen. And the second thing is they better bring back Shiri before the final episode because she's half the reason I decided to tune back in.

Edited by Shorty186
Weird double paragraph
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

All I can think about at the beginning of each episode is where is Rosa because Amber Midthunder is still listed in the opening credits. She must have an amazing agent. The season is a third of the way over and she's nowhere to be seen.

I've been wondering about her, too. Maybe she was filming Prey while Roswell was filming. I imagine she'll show back up at some point. But lol yes she must have a great agent.

I have mostly forgotten about Rosa but I do occasionally go "Hmmm, where is she, I thought she was going to be in this season...?" Still, it would always be so much more logical if she lived NOWHERE NEAR Roswell, heh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Looking at her IMDb page, it looks like Amber Midthunder just completed a movie she's starring in and will appear in the next episode as well as at least the next 5.

Still. Has anyone even mentioned Rosa?

Edited by shapeshifter
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Looking at her IMDb page, it looks like Amber Midthunder just completed a movie she's starring in and will appear in the next episode as well as at least the next 5.

Yea, Prey. I think that probably filmed awhile ago though since it comes out in August. Like I said, she was probably filming that when this season of Roswell was filming. 

• Like 1