Type keyword(s) to search

Jon Snow Sequel: News and Spec

• Start Topic

Terrible, terrible idea. There is literally no story left to tell and Kit isn't a very compelling actor to begin with. If this is true, this marks a pathetic low point for HBO.

The only one of these characters with a potentially interesting story to continue is Arya and that's because of discovering what's beyond the Sunset Sea. Maybe the descendants of the old Stark fleet.

• Love 7

While I’m open to a prequel series so long as D&D are not touching the project in any way and GRRM is involved, I have zero interest in a sequel series. D&D and the writers destroyed all of the characters from the original series with that last season. Even if they go further into the future and follow completely different characters that were not yet born during the original series, the events of the last season of GoT will have still happened in their world and I still won’t want to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, rhygirl720 said:

I must be the only weirdo that would watch this

Right there with you. I like the north of the wall/ no more nights watch exploration possibilities. I would love to see Queen Sansa too.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, badhaggis said:

Right there with you. I like the north of the wall/ no more nights watch exploration possibilities. I would love to see Queen Sansa too.

Me too. These people saying  they would refuse to watch something before even knowing the details drive me crazy, it's like they're in some sort of secret cult.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I don't see what story there is to tell that's consistent with what preceded it in Game of Thrones. The Night King and the Walkers are dead, the wights are dead again, Jon's life was spared on the condition he live in exile north of what's left of the Wall. Although we saw Jon ride off with Tormund and some wildlings, we don't even know how many people still live there. Presumably some relocated to the South.

I can imagine Jon making his home with the Wildlings, teaching kids how to stick 'em with the pointy end.  Then, one day, his brother Bran unexpectedly sends a letter requesting that he come to King's Landing...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 6/20/2022 at 3:05 AM, Constantinople said:

I don't see what story there is to tell that's consistent with what preceded it in Game of Thrones. The Night King and the Walkers are dead, the wights are dead again, Jon's life was spared on the condition he live in exile north of what's left of the Wall. Although we saw Jon ride off with Tormund and some wildlings, we don't even know how many people still live there. Presumably some relocated to the South.

Well, one of the major points in the books, which wasn't emphasized as much on the show, is how the original purpose of the Night's Watch was to fend off the threat of White Walkers, not the threat of Wildlings, and how they (the NW) had forgotten everything they needed to know to fight that fight and perform that duty.

The books heavily implied that the rise of the White Walkers was cyclical; it was just that the last cycle had lasted around a thousand years.

So, I could see a series where they dive into that part of the mythology and have WW come back, somehow. Jon is himself a sort of "undead", so, maybe he lived for a few hundred years after the final events of the series. They are probably not going to get all the same actors they had in Jon's plot before (Tormund, Sam, etc.), so they have to do something about that. A time jump of a few hundred years could fix that.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more of Jon and Kit. He was one of my favourite characters from the books, and Kit grew on me, even if he wasn't the best actor in the cast.  Then again, I felt that most of the younger actors had their good and bad moments.

As for D&D ruining the show, I would generally agree, but I don't think it's because of lack of input from GRRM. I think the end point we saw (Bran is King, Sansa is Queen of the North, Tyrion is HOtK, Dany gets corrupted by power and ends up being more like her father than her brother, etc.) was probably GRRM's original plan. He might change a few things with his gardener style, but I do think he's writing toward a planned conclusion.

My criticism of D&D was that they rushed to this ending like a derailed speed train. There was not enough groundwork to get us there. Dany didn't have enough moments of becoming power crazy. Jon and Danny's romance was rushed, and thus, Jon having to kill her wasn't as emotionally gutting as it should have been. Jon being a legitimate Targaryen heir was rushed too, there should have been a lot more intrigue and political fighting once other characters discovered this, and so on.

I think people expecting a massively different ending for these characters from the books will be disappointed, if the books are ever finished, that is.

Edited by WearyTraveler
Clarity and a typo
  • Love 7

I'm thinking two scenarios for the spin-off: one is GoT season 9, where they basically retcon and use all the cut storyline material from the book series (Young Griff, Sorcerer Pirate Euron even if it's a new character) and maybe slide Bran into a villain role. 

Or they transport Jon to a new setting: Essos. Maybe Jon gets grabbed in a slave raid against the Wildlings and somehow ends up entangled in the politics of the Free Cities or Yi Ti or something along those lines. 

I think there would be a big advantage for the new production team for option 2, because they won't be forced into a position of having to get other GoT actors or immediately rewrite GoT's ending.  

• Useful 3
On 6/18/2022 at 8:52 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

Me too. These people saying  they would refuse to watch something before even knowing the details drive me crazy, it's like they're in some sort of secret cult.

I would watch it to see whether Daenerys was resurrected.  

On 6/23/2022 at 8:43 AM, WearyTraveler said:

Well, one of the major points in the books, which wasn't emphasized as much on the show, is how the original purpose of the Night's Watch was to fend off the threat of White Walkers, not the threat of Wildlings, and how they (the NW) had forgotten everything they needed to know to fight that fight and perform that duty.

And the TV show made it clear to what's left of the Night's Watch that the Walkers came back. The show also made it clear that Walkers could be killed with dragonglass and with Valyrian steel. That's why Jon visited Dragonstone, to get as much dragonglass as possible.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:43 AM, WearyTraveler said:

The books heavily implied that the rise of the White Walkers was cyclical; it was just that the last cycle had lasted around a thousand years.

And the show all but said the Walkers are all gone now that the Night King is dead. And Jon Snow wasn't executed on the grounds he rejoin the Night's Watch, which no longer serves a purpose. SIce Road Targaryens would have to do such massive retconning it would make Pamela Ewing's Dream Season seems reasonable.

• Love 3
(edited)

There is simply no story left to tell about Jon Snow. The series started with him as a teen and we know his entire backstory. The show ended with the threat to humanity defeated, so there is no new narrative tension.

Is it going to be a story of him wandering around with the Wildlings, reclaiming the land destroyed by the White Walkers? A story of him uniting the Wildings? Tormund already did that by beating the shit out of Lord of Bones and proving the common enemy was more important than petty disagreements. Moreover, Game of Thrones was a story of politics, deceit, power struggles, battles, love, family, and saving the world. 

A show about Jon wandering around in the Land of Always Winter doesn’t have the power that GoT did. 

If Jon heads back South, to either Winterfell or the rebuilding of KL, then it becomes a retcon of S8. Don’t get me wrong. S8 sucked and should be retconned or we just pretend it ended when Tyrion fell out of the boat and hit his head. I don’t see how they create a viable and interesting story without bringing back so many of the characters they decimated in S8. I think many of the actors are done with the series and have moved on.

Picking up from the other thread, there are many shows I can decide I don’t want to watch just from hearing the premise. Jon Snow was never the draw for me in GoT. I found Kit’s acting to be weak and his storyline was poorly written Jesus fanfic until S8, when the whole “I’m fine fucking my aunt, it’s all good, oh wait, she cray, lemme knife her” thing happened. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 6

This show will have amazing ratings. 

I hope GRRM officially stops wasting time with the books and concentrates only on Game of Thrones television universe.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:04 PM, rhygirl720 said:

I must be the only weirdo that would watch this

Not gonna lie... I'll watch it too. If only for the pretty factor and to watch Jon and Tormond snark at one another for an hour each week.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 6/18/2022 at 11:52 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

These people saying  they would refuse to watch something before even knowing the details drive me crazy, it's like they're in some sort of secret cult.

Or they are streaming so many services that they have 'must watch' TV shows that I've never heard of.  

I will watch some shows, and at least they are trying.  (Heck, I remember watching Mary Tyler Moore and then the Rhoda spinoff and liking them both.  Yes, get off my front yard.)

• Love 1

For me this would be interesting if he checks in with the other Starks, specifically Sansa and Arya. What’s Queen Sansa up to ? How is she ruling and is Arya still there? Jon wandering around the north doesn’t interest me. 

• Love 2

I'm with anyone who says pass on a Jon Snow sequel. I'd 1000X rather watch a romcom where Tormund tries to get Brienne to break her Kingsgaurd vow of celibacy every week with new seductions that only result in the famous Brienne "look" of confused revulsion. Give me Tormund, hiring a band of bards, standing outside White Sword Tower with a blue rose while they play the Westerosi version of a Bryan Adams song. Some rando Kingsgarud knocking on the Lord Commander's door, "Lord Commander, uh, your buddy's outside again, he's got a whole catering cart this time." Brienne opening the door gruffly with a "He's got a WHAT?"

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • Love 3

Seems to me like Kit Harington can't find any other roles that he wants or is good at, so he asked someone if he could just be Jon Snow again to get a paycheck.  Who cares what the plot is, he's got a family to feed.  

Fine by me, I'll watch it.  

• Love 3