Type keyword(s) to search

The Bear Season 1-2 Talk

aghst
  • Start Topic

On 7/1/2022 at 8:18 AM, MaggieG said:

Episode 7 that was filmed to look like one long uncut take was a good one. 

I think it was actually a 20 minute continuous shot. I wasn’t paying attention to every second when I watched it, so I didn’t look for any hidden edits. 
This article is about the episode.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/07/jeremy-allen-white-the-bear-episode-7-single-take-one-shot-1234739087/

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Reminded me instantly of the scene in Goodfellas where Karen and Henry walked through a nightclub, going in a side door, through the kitchen and hallways, and over to their table next to the stage. (Rest in peace Ray Liotta.) Lots of talk about Scorsese pulling off this single-take tracking shot when the movie premiered.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

There was a lot to like here--the feel, the editing and cinematography, the music, most of the supporting characters--but I really really really have had it with stories centering some white dude's rage because he can't do some emotional work THAT EVERY HUMAN BEING MUST DO: processing grief. 

The fact that the show wrapped up with the main targets of his rage (completely coincidentally and not all reflective of any other trends in Chicago or the US or the western world for centuries, black people) forgiving him and coming back to work for him: Eeuw.

Really hope for some growth in the season 2 writing, because there's a lot of promise here. But straight white dudes: get some effing therapy and stop spewing your unprocessed rage at the rest of us. And Hollywood: Stop centering these stories and inflating their importance. We all have to go through what Carmy went through; but we all don't have the privilege to act out on our subordinates.

Edited by Penman61
  • Applause 9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I really enjoyed this and I really enjoy anything that Jeremy Allen White is in. However 2 thoughts keep coming up. Richie was so bad, rude, verbally assautive and mean to everyone yet people put up with him? The money. He finds what I guess is 100's of thousands of dollars and immediately tells everyone in the restaurant. They all know about the money and I guess they shared it and he is starting a new restaurant with it. I wonder just how cool everyone is going to be knowing about all the money, possibly sharing it and where does it get put for safe keeping?

• Like 2

I have to commend the use of the Wilco song Spiders that was played as the shit was hitting the fan in that episode that was filmed in one long take.  A most stressful, polarizing song, it fit perfectly in that sequence.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I don't think I've ever seen Italian beef sandwiches in Italy.

Mostly panini with various charcuterie, sometimes you'd see chicken, turkey more rarely, porchetta, wild boar but not actual beef for a sandwich.

Probably more of an Italian-American thing.

You don't see spaghetti with meatballs in Italy either, more spaghetti with clams or pancetta or guanciale.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, aghst said:

I don't think I've ever seen Italian beef sandwiches in Italy.

It's a Chicago thing.  Supposedly (Italian American) workers in the stockyards would bring home tough cuts of meat and prepare the meat in a way to make it more tender and sliced it thin.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

was going to suggest they make their own giardiniera

I think they do. Isn't that why Carmy was always having them prep it? Maybe I misremembered, but I was sure I'd heard that a few different times.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 7/21/2022 at 1:42 AM, Accidental Martyr said:

I think it was actually a 20 minute continuous shot. I wasn’t paying attention to every second when I watched it, so I didn’t look for any hidden edits. 
This article is about the episode.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/07/jeremy-allen-white-the-bear-episode-7-single-take-one-shot-1234739087/

Wow- that is super imrpessive.

I wonder how many takes they  before they got a clean one.  

• Like 1
On 7/19/2022 at 6:40 PM, ProudMary said:

The prescription bottle read Omeprazole, which is the generic version of Prilosec. Sydney has an ulcer, or at least the beginnings of one. Probably everyone else in the kitchen too.

God knows I felt like I was getting an ulcer watching some of those kitchen scenes. They were more intense than a lot of massive battle scenes I have watched on TV with massive casualties and heads flying everywhere. Kudos to the actors, directors, sound editors, etc. because you could really feel that intensity coming off the screen like you were right there in the kitchen. 

I am happy to hear that a second season is coming, I thought this season was great. The acting from everyone was excellent and I came to really like the characters, even when they were frustrating. Ritchie would probably drive me to a near stabbing too if I had to work with him every day, but on screen I felt myself really feeling bad for him at the end. 

Surprised but pleased to see Jon Bernthal show up for a second at the end.

• Love 7
On 7/19/2022 at 7:40 PM, ProudMary said:

The prescription bottle read Omeprazole, which is the generic version of Prilosec. Sydney has an ulcer, or at least the beginnings of one. Probably everyone else in the kitchen too.

It makes sense that she would have an ulcer and take Prilosec/Omeprazole, but it shouldn't have been a prescription bottle because both have been OTC since at least 2016--you can buy them at any drugstore or from Amazon. Also, it looked like there were multiple prescription bottles in the medicine cabinet, covering the entire top shelf and part of the lower shelf. Even if these other bottles were different prescription medications, you generally can't get more than one bottle of a medication at a time. So either she or her father was on multiple medications.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Paloma said:

It makes sense that she would have an ulcer and take Prilosec/Omeprazole, but it shouldn't have been a prescription bottle because both have been OTC since at least 2016--you can buy them at any drugstore or from Amazon. Also, it looked like there were multiple prescription bottles in the medicine cabinet, covering the entire top shelf and part of the lower shelf. Even if these other bottles were different prescription medications, you generally can't get more than one bottle of a medication at a time. So either she or her father was on multiple medications.

OTC Omeprazole, like many other medications that ultimately become available OTC, is a lesser dosage. Stronger doses are still available with a prescription.  I completely agree that someone in that household, likely her father, is taking several different medications.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/11/2022 at 2:13 PM, tennisgurl said:

Surprised but pleased to see Jon Bernthal show up for a second at the end.

He was in an earlier scene also, though I don't remember which episode. The siblings and Richie were in the kitchen at home preparing food and telling stories, It took me a minute to recognize Bernthal because I don't think I've seen him in anything since Walking Dead.

• Love 3
On 7/20/2022 at 7:17 PM, callie lee 29 said:

I know everyone is all about Carmy but I love me some Marcus. The utter joy and fascination that he has with baking is so fucking wholesome. I love it. Also, I don't even particularly like chocolate cake but some of those they showed looked delicious. 

I took to Marcus right away.  I kind of have a thing for chill, diligent, intellectually curious dudes even if they often have zero sense of time.  

It seems odd at first that Carm would want to leave the five-star dining world for a blah sandwich shop, but it made sense to me by the end.  There was the family connection, and naturally the fact that Mikey never let him work there was a big motivator.  But the flashback scene of the chef verbally tearing into Carm as he was making the dessert and his long monologue at the Al-Anon meeting explained it well to me pretty well.  Carm had to prove his worth to his brother by taking the fine dining world by storm.  And he did it!  But in the process he isolated himself - no family, few friends, no love interest, and shitloads of verbal abuse from an asshole superior.  

Going back to the family restaurant was a way of taking charge of his life more on his own terms.  Sure, he’d still be stressed to the max because he was running his own business, but now he wasn’t proving himself to an impossible to please head chef or to Mikey.  He was doing it for himself and in the process creating a life and family that he’d missed out on up until that point.  That’s something that was probably still years down the road - if it happened at all - if he stayed in the five star dining world.

Edited by eejm
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/11/2022 at 2:13 PM, tennisgurl said:

God knows I felt like I was getting an ulcer watching some of those kitchen scenes. They were more intense than a lot of massive battle scenes I have watched on TV with massive casualties and heads flying everywhere. Kudos to the actors, directors, sound editors, etc. because you could really feel that intensity coming off the screen like you were right there in the kitchen. 

As someone who has been in a commercial kitchen when you're "in the weeds," I had a better understanding of what PTSD is like.  Some of those scenes literally made me SMELL the kitchens I've been in under that same pressure.  

It's awful.  And the only way out is through.  It's awful.  LOL.  Tip your servers, everybody!  And if it's a busy night and everyone seems stressed, feel free to buy the kitchen staff a shot.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I absolutely loved this. 

Like many here, it was a word-of-mouth thing for me -- a friend recommended it, and wow. A terrific, incredibly binge-worthy series, and catnip if you're a foodie or Top Chef watcher. Every moment feels real and authentic. And featuring a beautiful cast (with character actors I love now in leading positions), smart writing, and gorgeous musical choices.

And that unbroken 18-minute take in Ep 7? AMAZING. Seamless, exciting, tense, and virtuosic. I'm already planning to watch it twice.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:18 AM, MaggieG said:

I finished all the episodes and I liked it a lot too. I also agree there was a lot of yelling. I loved seeing Jon Bernthal pop up as Mikey. I wasn't expecting that. 

Episode 7 that was filmed to look like one long uncut take was a good one. 

It was one long take. An incredible technical and artistic achievement by cast and crew! 

https://www.vulture.com/article/how-the-bear-shot-episode-7-one-take.html

On 6/26/2022 at 2:52 PM, Mr. R0b0t said:

My theory coming out of the finale and I may be misreading things, but I feel like

Hide contents

Mikey borrowed the money, then paid it back denoting it as KBL on the ledger. Cicero lied to Carmy so that he could collect on the debt twice.

Of course I cannot quite discern what Mikey actually spent the money on...operating costs? The plot device of the

Hide contents

cans coming full circle was a stroke of genius.  As for where they came from, or if Mikey sealed the money in there himself whets the appetite for season 2 for sure.

I feel compelled to say I absolutely loved this show immensely.  

My take was that Mike made the noted payments to the "sauce" all along. But I don't understand the win aspect of it. I was still thrilled for everyone -- yes, it's helpful. But they're still in debt. And still owe that $300k.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:45 PM, Irlandesa said:

Richie's yelling did get to be a bit much.  It upped the tension but I also just wanted to breathe every now and again.  And while Carmine was a jerk when the preorders started coming in and they were already behind, I was upset that in the final episodes it doesn't sound like Marcus or Sydney owned up to their part in that disaster--especially Marcus.  He spent so much time on those donuts, which weren't a menu item, he was so far behind on the chocolate cake which was a menu item.  (An aside:  The best chocolate cake I ever had was in Chicago.)

And that was largely Sydney's problem too.  She loved Carmine's cooking so she wanted to work for him but constantly tried to direct the sandwich shop away from what it was.  She's smart and it might end up being the right call but it's not her family's legacy on the line or money invested.

One thing I did like is how often Carmine would apologize when he was out of line.

I believe Sydney pointed out that dinner time was an issue for them.  It doesn't sound like they're going full 5 star dining like Carmine used to do but definitely serve food they can charge more for.  It's still pretty casual in that they're going to do family style and will have a window where people can still order sandwiches. 

My guess is that people will grab sandwiches at lunch but the area demands something more substantial for dinner so they'll target families or people leaving work who want to eat before commuting home.

ETA:  Here are filming locations for the show. 

https://thecinemaholic.com/where-is-the-bear-filmed/

I agree with all of this -- I will say that I felt like, for Carmy, it didn't matter to him about the app mistake or about the donut mistake, etc. It was just another bad day. So he just let it go and they all move forward together. I kind of love that.

On 7/11/2022 at 5:36 PM, cpcathy said:

There’s a Vulture interview with Jeremy, he said restaurants have a machine to reseal tin cans. Who knew?

Yeah, that's what I thought happened. That he made the "payments" into the cans and sealed them for the future, then eventually his depression got too much to bear, so he left everything to Carmy to do what he couldn't.

I loved the reveal at the end but it's still completely dickish that he didn't just say something like OPEN THE CANS. HINT HINT.

On 7/17/2022 at 12:10 AM, Irlandesa said:

I guess we'll see in the second season but they aren't looking to Michelin star the place.  All they want is to offer some higher priced dinner items in the evening because their sandwich service isn't cutting it at that time of day.  Higher priced than a sandwich doesn't have to mean a $50.00 entree.  It can be items that are 10 to 20 dollars more than what a sandwich would cost.  People often do spend more money when they go out to dinner at night than what they'd spend getting a sandwich at lunchtime. There very well might be a similar customer base.

This was my take. Not for them to try to become fine dining, but a few delicious dinner (and dessert) items would keep the traffic flowing through dinner and could really pay off.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:19 PM, xaxat said:

One of the details I like is the Classic and influential cook books that can be seen in the background. I own several of them, but definitely not that set of Modernist Cuisine Carmy has in his office.. over $600 for the set.

All the little details about this show were perfection. Seriously all of them.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 8/15/2022 at 9:29 AM, larapu2000 said:

It's awful.  And the only way out is through.  It's awful. 

One of my favorite scenes is when Carmy is at the high end restaurant and his chef is yelling random numbers at him in order to mess with his expediting. Expediting is one of the most mentally taxing things I have done (including working differential equations in grad school). You literally have to know everything that is happening in the kitchen. But at the end of the night, you feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment. And then you drink, heavily.

I agree that the single take scene in the restaurant was impressive, but my favorite single take was Carmy at the relatives of addicts meeting. It's a five minute long single shot, uninterrupted, monolog by Jeremy Allen White where he sells the shit out of Carmy's messy relationship with his brother.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:36 PM, cpcathy said:

There’s a Vulture interview with Jeremy, he said restaurants have a machine to reseal tin cans. Who knew?

I'm pretty sure that's not a real thing. Once you open a can, the sterile content inside is exposed to contaminants and it would be unsafe to just seal it up again. Kind of like opening a jar of tomato sauce, putting the lid back on it and putting it back in the pantry instead of the refrigerator. Doesn't matter how tight you screw the lid on.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

My niece who worked in many top restaurants in Milwaukee (do not scoff, we eat well and enjoy it all) including sous chef at more than one restaurant here.  While she has started her own business, unrelated to food, she has told some harrowing stories about kitchens and the climate including rampant sexual harassment.  She is a personality who walked off more than one kitchen before her sous chef days.  Her own business involves flowers!

Anyway, her comment was the idea that any chef would allow anyone else to be addressed as chef was fantasy.  She stopped watching.

She could of course be biased.

Edited by kaygeeret
clarify a statement
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Absolutely love this season, so glad to have an intelligent adult show to watch, enough Marvel to last a lifetime.  My only nit-pick was his critique of the risotti dish 'it needs acid'  that's such a catch phrase on all the cooking competition shows it seems meaningless to me at this point.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jabRI said:

My only nit-pick was his critique of the risotti dish 'it needs acid'  that's such a catch phrase on all the cooking competition shows it seems meaningless to me at this point.

There is a payoff to Carmy's advice. When Sydney is cooking for Marcus she adds lemon juice and zest (acid), almost as an afterthought, as a finishing touch.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

There is a payoff to Carmy's advice. When Sydney is cooking for Marcus she adds lemon juice and zest (acid), almost as an afterthought, as a finishing touch.

Yeah, it was probably good advice, just tired of hearing it on every cooking show.  Sorry, just binge watched a bunch!  

But I love this show, Sydney and Marcus are fantastic, great interactions.  Will there be a season 2? I hope so!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jabRI said:

Yeah, it was probably good advice, just tired of hearing it on every cooking show.  Sorry, just binge watched a bunch!  

But I love this show, Sydney and Marcus are fantastic, great interactions.  Will there be a season 2? I hope so!

I get that.  And yet it wasn't until I had a chef add acid properly when they normally don't that I got that critique. 

And yes, there will be a season 2.

I remember seeing this show on Hulu months ago, added to My Stuff to watch later, and then promptly forgot about it.  It was only when I read someone's Twitter feed about it recently that I remembered. Super late, but I enjoyed this. 

On 7/11/2022 at 12:04 PM, xaxat said:

Except the money in Pomodoro tomato cans. I don't know what this is. And I have some knowledge about industrial canning, which makes it even weirder.

This really took me out of the show, thankfully it was the season finale.  It felt like I was enjoying a gritty, grounded show about regular people, and the writers decided to toe-dip into some kind of magical realism.  I don't mind the genre, but it felt really incongruous here.  It also opened up a bunch of questions that I'm not entirely sure the writers will address next season as it felt tacked on for dramatic effect.  Finally, any compassion I felt for Michael (and Richie indirectly) pretty much evaporated. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Yes!  Just binged this in the last couple of days, was loving it & then…just a big nope from me. Also, don’t forget the shot of the ignored can under the shelf, as if any of them would really miss a can filled with thousands of dollars just because it was on floor. I guess ‘tension’ for next season. 

I do really hope they can pull off a great second season, I was enthralled with the first season until that cash twist. 

Edited by pennben
  • Like 1

I finally binged this, and it is good.  I like JAW and the whole ensemble. 

I am annoyed with a few things - the calling each other "cousin," the 773 tattoo and the money in the tomato sauce.  What a terrible place to hide it, what if he cleaned out the kitchen and just tossed them all?  Also, I don't understand what the money was from/for... and if I worked there, and I was opening money at my work, I wouldn't be clapping and excited that they got all of this money unless I was getting a raise or something.  

I am from Chicagoland (suburbs, city, then back to suburbs) so I cannot help but nitpick.  Carmie saying "he killed himself on the State Street Bridge" - I assume he means the bridge on State that goes over the river but that is kind of a crowded area, and it would be weird for a suicide.  Unless it was in the middle of the night.  

On 7/15/2022 at 10:35 AM, aghst said:

So now all the money lets them do whatever they want and with the name change, I guess Carm and Sydney could indulge their dreams.  However, fancy dishes are generally higher-priced, requiring a more affluent customer base.  So that's why restaurants pay huge rent to flock to well-off or gentrified areas.  It sounded like River North was a working class neighborhood though?

I lived and worked in River North in the early 2000s and it is and was fully gentrified by then.  It is mostly luxury apartments and office buildings, clubs and restaurants now.  I was just there the other day, my friend lives in the fancy building right down the street from the old Mr Beef.  I can see construction workers who are working in the area popping over for beef, or locals who work in the office buildings grabbing a sandwich for lunch, but that is not a poor crowd.  I can not see anyone stopping there for dinner before going home to the suburbs.  People that stay in the city to go out to eat will go somewhere fancier, and no one grabs something from the city before your commute to eat at home - you can get amazing italian beef anywhere/an suburb, and it is cheaper in the suburbs.

So, I felt that whole "keep the locals coming" thing to not really work for River North.  The locals are bankers and lawyers.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Unfortunately, we don't have individual topics for this show or I'd put this in "The Cast in Other Roles."

Ebon Moss-Bachrach, who shines as Richie in The Bear, has a supporting role in the Star Wars series, Andor on Disney +. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sidney and Marcus annoyed me at the end. Marcus was essentially using the kitchen for his donut project but not doing any of his job so how he was surprised when Carly blew up at him. Sydney couldn’t take any criticism at all, she pushed and pushed to get that to go system set up. She wanted her stuff on the menu like yesterday and then when the going got tough she walked out. I think Carmy behaved terribly in that situation BUT she was already pissed because he wasn’t up her ass about the risotto. 

I didn’t care much for their date where they complained about how hard done by they were in the last episode because I was too annoyed at the both of them. They both left everyone in the shit when they walked out that day, not just Carmy.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Do your damn job or yes, people will get pissed. Both of them made huge mistakes-- one ignoring his work entirely and the other failing to properly set up the app, leaving the entire situation in collapse. It's better not to lose your temper, but if you fuck up that badly, eventually someone will.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
On 10/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, Avabelle said:

Sidney and Marcus annoyed me at the end. Marcus was essentially using the kitchen for his donut project but not doing any of his job so how he was surprised when Carly blew up at him. Sydney couldn’t take any criticism at all, she pushed and pushed to get that to go system set up. She wanted her stuff on the menu like yesterday and then when the going got tough she walked out. I think Carmy behaved terribly in that situation BUT she was already pissed because he wasn’t up her ass about the risotto. 

I didn’t care much for their date where they complained about how hard done by they were in the last episode because I was too annoyed at the both of them. They both left everyone in the shit when they walked out that day, not just Carmy.

On 10/6/2022 at 3:58 PM, possibilities said:

Do your damn job or yes, people will get pissed. Both of them made huge mistakes-- one ignoring his work entirely and the other failing to properly set up the app, leaving the entire situation in collapse. It's better not to lose your temper, but if you fuck up that badly, eventually someone will.

Yep, I just binged the whole show (and loved it), and I had to pause the show in both Episode 7 and Episode 8 to yell (very sanely) at both Marcus and Sydney.  Carmy was completely out of line, but neither one of them owned their parts in the disaster, and it was driving me crazy.  Marcus, you need to do. your fucking. job.  In that moment, you were there to make cakes; experiment with your donuts some other time.  Sydney, the pre-order fuck-up was yours and yours alone, and you need to own it.  And what you said to Richie (who, to be fair, deserved most of what you said to him) about his daughter was loathsome.

I will say that I've been a member of Al-Anon for over thirteen and a half years now, and this show is the first time I've seen Al-Anon meetings depicted fairly accurately.  I was sure that Christopher Storer must also be a member, and I read an interview with him in which he said he's been going to Al-Anon for years.  It shows: the way the show portrayed the family disease of addiction in Carmy's patterns of behavior, in his and Natalie's relationship, and even in Richie's patterns of behavior rang very true to me.  I know it was done for dramatic purposes, but the only Al-Anon-related aspect that didn't ring true was Carmy's talking so openly about being a chef; we do not talk about our professions in meetings, although newcomers are granted a bit of grace on that.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I was surprised that with all the close relationships and the love that nobody gave Carmy  the benefit of “shit what’s wrong he’s blowing up at EVERYBODY.”

cuz people behave badly when they’re super stressed and grieving  and while it’s not OK it’s also not unusual. (I teach and if a student behaved that way that would be my first thought, not he’s so terrible to me, but wtf is going on.)

marcus and Sydney may be POC but that’s not imo why they got yelled at and the fact that Carmy is white doesn’t make his story less poignant.  Anybody dealing with the death by suicide of a sibling deserves empathy whatever color or gender. And as for calling someone cousin we see in flashback that’s just what they do. I bought it. Growing up I called many cousins “cousin name.” “Cousin Jeffrey.” “Cousin Barbara.” And honestly for those that were my parents’ age they still got called cousin whatever when I grew up because I couldn’t just first name them! (Similarly I cannot call my high school friends parents by their first names despite my over 50ness. Always Mr and mrs whatever. And some of my friends can call my mom by her first name by I can’t bring myself to do it lol.)

I agree it was sad that Marcus didn’t get acknowledgement. I understand his disappointment. Which doesn’t change the fact that he’d been TOLD not to work on the Dougnuts at work and still did it and picked his moment for praise incredibly badly. In no job Ivw ever had would I not get yelled at for doing that and I’m a white girl who’s worked in theater, journalism and teaching which are not exactly low pressure jobs. (And yes I HAVE been yelled at by directors and editors but I was young! In fairness Sydney is young. Marcus seems to be in his 30s though.)

I too was surprised they all called one another chef, but all I know about that is the show “yes chef” and only one person got called chef. The others were just called by their names which in fairness seems like it wojld be a LOT less confusing.

I am also confused about the KBL and the money. How it got in the cans. What it was for. Whose it was. But I don’t mind.

I heart this show thoroughly. 

• Like 6

I stopped watching after episode 4, well made series, but not my cup of tea.
Still what surprised me is all the nominations and awards it gets for...comedy!
This show it is not even dramedy. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, paramitch said:

Excited for season 2 -- the trailer is so melancholy, though! I thought he was going to launch his new restaurant in the same space, but this felt like a goodbye.

They are.  The goodbye is to the old version of the restaurant. 

• Love 1

and Late to the party once again.

I started watching The Bear.  up through episode 4.  

it seems to me that there are way too many people in this "small" sandwich shop.  there's the veggie lady, the meat guy, the baker, the sous chef, obviously Carmy and loud mouth Richie (why is he there?) and who are the others????  its not like i'm seeing anyone washing dishes.  

why in the world are they making their own bread?  every sandwich shop i know buys their rolls from an outside baker.  well, same with the deserts too.

hearing about how long it took to make that one plum desert in Carmy's prior restaurant, i sortof understand why those restaurants charge so damn much.  

Is there a real need to berate the sous chef and staff like that one guy (head chef i presume) was doing to Carmy in the 5 star restaurant?  what is the point?

omg the xanax in the ecto punch was hilarious.  how the hell did the entire bottle fall in?

• Like 2

Just finished streaming this. About halfway through the season, I thought I would watch the season and not continue with season 2. There was too much yelling, too much...anger in this show for me--not what I want or need right now. Ritchie is a terrible character whose purpose is to just create drama rather than genuinely contribute to the story.

But, dammit, that last episode--particularly the last few minutes--was fantastic. So...I will continue with the new season.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Are things going to be as frenetic and high-pressured in the new season?

It would be a very difficult way to work if it's always like that.

All 10 episodes will be released at the same time on June 22, 2023.

Season two of FX's "The Bear," the critically acclaimed original series, follows Carmen "Carmy" Berzatto (Jeremy Allen White), Sydney Adamu (Ayo Edebiri) and Richard "Richie" Jerimovich (Ebon Moss- Bachrach) as they work to transform their grimy sandwich joint into a next-level spot. As they strip the restaurant down to its bones, the crew undertakes transformational journeys of their own, each forced to confront the past and reckon with who they want to be in the future. Of course, it turns out the only thing harder than running a restaurant is opening a new one, and the team must juggle the insane bureaucracy of permits and contractors with the beauty and creative agony of menu planning. The transition brings a newfound focus on hospitality as well. As the entire staff is forced to come together in new ways, pushing the boundaries of their abilities and relationships, they also learn what it means to be in service, both to diners and each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2
On 5/17/2023 at 10:09 AM, aghst said:

Are things going to be as frenetic and high-pressured in the new season?

It would be a very difficult way to work if it's always like that.

I follow the KitchenConfidential subreddit and it looks like most kitchens are frenetic and high pressured.  Seems fairly spot on.  I love the show, but my anxiety ratchets up.

• Like 2
On 3/30/2023 at 5:44 PM, Hanahope said:

and Late to the party once again.

I started watching The Bear.  up through episode 4.  

it seems to me that there are way too many people in this "small" sandwich shop.  there's the veggie lady, the meat guy, the baker, the sous chef, obviously Carmy and loud mouth Richie (why is he there?) and who are the others????  its not like i'm seeing anyone washing dishes.  

why in the world are they making their own bread?  every sandwich shop i know buys their rolls from an outside baker.  well, same with the deserts too.

hearing about how long it took to make that one plum desert in Carmy's prior restaurant, i sortof understand why those restaurants charge so damn much.  

Is there a real need to berate the sous chef and staff like that one guy (head chef i presume) was doing to Carmy in the 5 star restaurant?  what is the point?

omg the xanax in the ecto punch was hilarious.  how the hell did the entire bottle fall in?

Even later to the party and about half way through the first season, I don’t get the set up either. The place seems to be a takeout Italian beef place, yet we have the staff in the back organized and working as if this is a fine dining establishment. Veal stock for sandwich gravy? Making their bread? I don’t get it.

• Like 2