Type keyword(s) to search

Hollywood Houselift With Jeff Lewis - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Jeff revealed on his Sirius show this week that Hollywood Houselift has been renewed! Season Two starts shooting early next year. He also said that Anthony Anderson will be back. Jeff has continued working with him since their first project. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 7/17/2022 at 4:51 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Wonder if he's still tight with Chaz Dean of Wen fame/infamy.  Chaz's home/salon appeared like it would be a 20-yr project, lol.

Edit - Quick search results indicate "no".

chaz-dean-former-friend-jeff-lewis

Jeff announced on his radio show that he has “rebuilt a bridge with Chaz Deen.” Happy to hear it. Chaz Deen seemed over the moon about Monroe. 

• Like 6
On 12/5/2023 at 6:10 PM, heatherchandler said:

Watching the Josh Duhamel episode, Jeff is sooo snarky with him, and kinda taking the teasing a little too far.  I guess that’s just Jeff.

I don’t know who Duhamel is, but he comes across as a complete twatwaffle. 

And Sara Foster is crazy. 

Meanwhile, I love Jeff, both his design aesthetic and his snark, and I’m so glad he’s back. 

Edited by ArtFossil
  • Like 10
On 12/7/2023 at 7:28 AM, dleighg said:

How does a sex swing even work? 

To me it looked like an aerial yoga swing and they were joking. They said they did yoga. But then again I’ve never seen a sex swing. 

I was dying at Jeff ripping into Josh. He looks like such a douchecanoe. All I can remember is when I worked at a now gone airline and he caused a scene and acted like an entitled ass, resulting in security showing up when he landed. The report went all over the company intranet because it was comedy gold. So he deserves it. 

Sara is insane. The only reason she’s not like the hoarders on Discovery is because she’s rich and people are keeping her in check. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Sbeetle said:

Sara is insane. The only reason she’s not like the hoarders on Discovery is because she’s rich and people are keeping her in check

who is Sara? Was she on the first episode?

I like the show well enough, but could do without the scenes of "where should we eat" and the schtick about washing shoes off in the fountain. I'm not particularly interested in your silly interactions.

• Like 1
On 12/10/2023 at 4:27 AM, dleighg said:

I like the show well enough, but could do without the scenes of "where should we eat" and the schtick about washing shoes off in the fountain. I'm not particularly interested in your silly interactions.

A typical Jeff Lewis episode would only be 8 minutes long without the silly interactions 😅

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
On 12/10/2023 at 4:35 AM, Sbeetle said:

I was dying at Jeff ripping into Josh. He looks like such a douchecanoe. All I can remember is when I worked at a now gone airline and he caused a scene and acted like an entitled ass, resulting in security showing up when he landed. The report went all over the company intranet because it was comedy gold. So he deserves it.

What an asshole. Not sure where Audra is keeping her clothes, but it ain't in that primary bedroom closet. I also get not wanting to disrupt your kid's flow when he's with you, but a 10-year-old boy needs to understand that his eyesore of a playhouse doesn't need to take up space 24/7 IN THE MAIN LIVING AREA. Where the adults are, living their lives, being adults. Audra truly wanted that thing out of her living space, and she seems to get the shit end of the stick in that house - HER house. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
57 minutes ago, lightninggirl said:

What an asshole.

Now Jeff was overdoing it with the whole "Audra is so young" schtick, but I got the sense that Josh reveled in the whole "see what a hot young wife I got after I jettisoned my starter wife."  (He's 51, she's 29)

• Like 5

I doubt Fergie is losing a lot of sleep over Josh's second marriage.

Now that Audra and Josh are expecting a baby (announced in September), I bet that living room play house is outta there.

• Like 4
On 6/25/2022 at 7:47 AM, jabRI said:

150K for a bathroom? that's about what we paid for our first house.  Sorry, she could up the charity donations instead.  And I thought the lighted mirror looked tacky.  Who needs a 750 toilet paper holder. Beyond ridiculous.

From a rational, common sense standpoint, I totally agree with you.  However...Melissa (and her son) inherited Joan's $150 million estate. That's in addition to the wealth she had accrued on her own working for E! and whatever other projects she had going.

$150k to her is $1,500 to you or me. Maybe even $150.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 12/11/2023 at 3:23 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

Sara Foster (David Foster's daughter). I believe she was on the 2nd episode.

Can't believe Tommy Haas would put up with her hoarding, I always thought he was  fun to watch.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Thank goodness for this forum or I wouldn't even have known it was renewed! 

Jeff is still bringing some delightful snark. I wonder if that whole thing about their obsession with fast food is just a joke. I mean, I find it hard to believe someone as vain as Jeff is not totally aware of every calorie that goes in his mouth. 

Sara Foster seems like some people I know who think they are adorably quirky and charming, but everyone around them just finds them insufferable. Her gynormous closet did turn out nice, though.

• Like 9
On 12/16/2023 at 2:24 PM, QQQQ said:

I doubt Fergie is losing a lot of sleep over Josh's second marriage.

Now that Audra and Josh are expecting a baby (announced in September), I bet that living room play house is outta there.

It’s always a mistake till have a child with a child. (And especially if he relegates you to the edges of his life.) Are they married? If so, they’ll be divorced in three years. 

• Like 1

I have to say, Josh and Audra's bedroom is the one of the very few things Jeff has done that I didn't like. And right as I was thinking it looked like a pretty nondescript luxury hotel room, they opened the cabinet to reveal a mini bar! 

That last talking head of Audra and Josh seemed rather tense. He barely looked at her and just talked about how his son was the most important thing in his life and now his son would have a brother. 

• Like 5
On 12/19/2023 at 12:27 PM, TVbitch said:

I wonder if that whole thing about their obsession with fast food is just a joke. I mean, I find it hard to believe someone as vain as Jeff is not totally aware of every calorie that goes in his mouth. 

I tend to watch television without pity (kudos to anyone who gets the reference), so my first thought was that it's an embedded commercial and he gets paid for it.  OTOH, those huge corporations probably don't need a C-list celebrity humping their foods on a streaming service, so maybe not.

I did notice that in one ep they spent a lot of time talking about some snack chip though; I think they were even eating them in the car. There may have been some shenanigans going on with that one.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

And lets not forget that Megan proclaimed with pride that she is taking the diabetes drug Ozempic to lose weight and is down a bunch of sizes. I doubt she is shoveling in Olive Garden and In N Out burgers as often as they suggest. 

• Like 6

Ok can we discuss Reggie Bush.  I don’t think they should have the kids on the show but I’d love to hear why they insist on being in one room.  They have a 9k sq ft house.  It’s nice that Jeff is going along with it, but I would think Reggie and his wife would want to address this.  Those kids are approaching tweendom and while people with less can and do make this work out of necessity, the Bush’s don’t have to.  I can see maybe wanting to be together when they were little and dad was traveling so much for football but he’s retired now.  It’s sweet but also very odd.  I think I would advise the kids to lean into their privilege here.

I liked the Sara Foster closet design but I would not want my dressing room to be all blue, nor would I want antiqued mirrors.  Even though it’s basic, I’d want that space to be as neutral as possible so that I could evaluate my outfits and accessories better. I like the more muted version they went with.

Edited by For Cereals
  • Like 4
On 12/26/2023 at 9:16 AM, For Cereals said:

Ok can we discuss Reggie Bush.  I don’t think they should have the kids on the show but I’d love to hear why they insist on being in one room.  They have a 9k sq ft house.  It’s nice that Jeff is going along with it, but I would think Reggie and his wife would want to address this.  Those kids are approaching tweendom and while people with less can and do make this work out of necessity, the Bush’s don’t have to.  I can see maybe wanting to be together when they were little and dad was traveling so much for football but he’s retired now.  It’s sweet but also very odd.  I think I would advise the kids to lean into their privilege here

Jeff asked Reggie and his wife this question. They said it was the kids choice and they feel a safety being together and the other rooms were very far away from Mom and dad. I figured the kids weren’t comfortable in that humongous house being really far apart. I could see it. I’m sure as they get older they will want their own spaces. 

• Like 4
On 12/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, sugarbaker design said:

She's 29!  Hardly a child.

I was talking about Josh. 😊 My next sentence was “And especially if he relegates you to the edges of his life.” ( Emphasis supplied)

On 12/27/2023 at 1:40 PM, sadie said:

Jeff asked Reggie and his wife this question. They said it was the kids choice and they feel a safety being together and the other rooms were very far away from Mom and dad. I figured the kids weren’t comfortable in that humongous house being really far apart. I could see it. I’m sure as they get older they will want their own spaces. 

At first I was so judgmental. How dare they relegate their three children to one room!  But now I understand that the children want to cocoon. The whole family is very sweet. 

Edited by ArtFossil
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Just realized the new season is on and binged it last night…

Christina Ricci has been a steadily bordering on prolific working actress for three decades and while not an A-list star has almost certainly has enough name ID to command a premium, I am shocked that she didn't move on years ago. I’m sorry but that place was an absolute dump and if it is really as valuable as they implied it was to warrant the improvements, it is 100% land value and a teardown.

Reggie probably comes off better than anyone on this show ever has, I had no opinion of him prior to this but I like him now. The kids have spent their entire lives in the spot light, dealing with security and having grown up in a large-ish house, although not mansion sized (4,500 sqft~), it can feel super isolating. So I get it.

Sara Foster, dear lord, I thought Jeff was being hyperbolic about her being a hoarder, I 100% believe it. It’s just going to get worse and worse, I actually felt kind of sad for her.

Josh comes off as a complete obnoxious man child that hasn’t progressed mentally since 20 and every person that I have known to be in a relationship with someone that acts like him has later left them because of some underlying abuse that they had been diligently working to cover up and explain away. Not necessarily physical abuse, at at a minimum consistent manipulative behavior and/or emotional abuse. I’m not saying that is what is going on here, by all my alarm bells were going off. Also, his house is a hideous, the fluted glass doors in that aluminum frame, that horrid bathroom. I do believe his story about it being a rush post divorce house, it probably checked all the boxes for a house he could get literarily tomorrow. I also noticed along with the changes that Jeff did it looked like there were upgrades in the security and home automation system, just at first glance they look substantial, if not completely new. That house is being prepped for sale and this show is just marketing for it. They probably knew that whoever buys it is going to have to redo the entire great room, so there was really no point in removing the playhouse, all of it was going to be gone by the next owner, which is a significantly smaller project than putting in home security/automation wiring and a bathroom. They made the right choice, but I find it very hard to believe they were doing anything put prepping it for sale to some young actor that just made their big break while they find a more suitable home to raise their new child in.

Gina, shut up, you are two, rich married, young attractive people, we know you are having sex, what are you doing? It’s gross.

Anthony Anderson I am sure is playing some sort of character, but it rings way too true. I can’t stand him.

Cynthia Bailey, the impression that I got is she bought the house as an “investment” that her daughter could live in. For an “influencer” her daughter doesn’t seem to influence much of anything, what kind of “influencer” knows absolutely NOTHING about interior design trends? My read is Cynthia post two divorces and keeping up with the lifestyle she need to show for the RHOA has fallen on hard times and needs some help from her daughter, who is acting like a petulant child when her mother has no other options to stay adjacent to LA for extended periods of times to shop potential media deals that can keep her afloat. 

Stray observation:

I noticed every single house had a Ring doorbell. No celebrity would use a Ring doorbell, they will have used a security consultant to put in a highly integrated security and camera system that will have a much higher-end and secure video doorbell. Then it occurred to me that it was product placement for Amazon. Then I expected more Echos and such but they weren’t there. Which is especially ironic because Echos DO integrate and are used with the kind of high-end home automation systems that celebrities would use, so, yeah, Echo in the kitchen connected to a Creston system, absolutely, Ring doorbell, LOL.

Edited by John M
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)

This show has become very odd. It's more personality-driven (i.e., Jeff) than design-driven. He once was a known developer, flipping significant properties at great expense and sales, with efforts to brand his own products, and now he's renovating closets and buying furniture and tchotchkes. He has fallen a long way, career-wise. He's simply playing the reality TV game. 

The wretched and talentless Megan boasted of taking Ozempic to lose weight, saying something like "and I don't care who knows it" with a smirk on her face. (Ozempic is for diabetics only, but people are using it to lose weight and causing a shortage of the drug.)

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 4
15 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

He once was a known developer, flipping significant properties at great expense and sales, with efforts to brand his own products, and now he's renovating closets and buying furniture and tchotchkes. He has fallen a long way, career-wise. He's simply playing the reality TV game. 

Maybe he no longer wants to take on larger projects. Besides raising his daughter, he also has a podcast/radio show that takes up quite a bit of his time.

As for playing the reality TV game, what's wrong with that? Much easier, less risk. And as long as he's still enjoying his life, I say more power to him.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 1/1/2024 at 10:41 AM, pasdetrois said:

This show has become very odd. It's more personality-driven (i.e., Jeff) than design-driven. He once was a known developer, flipping significant properties at great expense and sales, with efforts to brand his own products, and now he's renovating closets and buying furniture and tchotchkes. He has fallen a long way, career-wise. He's simply playing the reality TV game. 

The wretched and talentless Megan boasted of taking Ozempic to lose weight, saying something like "and I don't care who knows it" with a smirk on her face. (Ozempic is for diabetics only, but people are using it to lose weight and causing a shortage of the drug.)

I think you need to think about this a different way - The last few years with the pandemic, and the economic decline, Jeff's core business (flipping) has probably slowed significantly. He's diversified, with the radio show, this new Netflix show and his focus on smaller, partial renovations/interior refreshes which have allowed him to have money coming in from multiple sources that aren't dependent on one another. For example, he can continue to do radio so long as his ratings are high, he can continue to do Netflix as long as there are celebrity clients that don't mind having their remodels/refreshes shown on air, and he can continue to have his team focus on smaller interior design efforts, which are probably far more lucrative (he's no longer putting his own money at risk while he's holding homes during construction) and require less effort on his team's part. I rewatched the first few episodes of Flipping Out over the holiday and much of Jeff's model doesn't work any longer (he did not own a primary residence and simply moved from one flip to another while waiting to sell, he used different contractors at each flip so crews could be working on multiple projects at the same time, and he relied on a steady stream of flips each year to make the money work). 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I like this show, more about the design than the personalities. Jeff does crack me up at times, but if it is true what he he says his young daughter says to him, he is in for a real problem, the kid seems like a nightmare. I didn't mind Megan on Flipping Out, but I find her annoying on this. I was sad to hear about Andrew and his cancer, but seems he is in remission. It looks like those lovely old olive trees didn't make it, it's too bad.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 1/1/2024 at 9:41 AM, pasdetrois said:

Every once in awhile there is like some crazy home item that pops up like a $500k TV or a $300k mattress and everyone has a big laugh because no one, not even an extremely rich people, would buy that. They do.

Honestly, and I hate to say this, have to give Kim Kardashian a little credit for showing how the unfathomably wealthy actually live, a lot of it isn't mentioned, it's a little thing in the background that if you know, you know.

The 1% of the 1% do not have their homes photographed for AD, when they decide to sell a home, photos do not pop up on Zillow.

I'm not saying that Jeff Lewis does much, if any work for the 1% of the 1%, I do believe he does work for plenty of people where you don't dare ask if you can take so much as a selfie in their backyard.

Edited by John M
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 1/2/2024 at 1:55 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I didn't mind Megan on Flipping Out, but I find her annoying on this.

I never watched Flipping Out. I may need to go find it. I found this show as a suggestion on my Fire Stick since I'm addicted to Home Improvement shows.

As a project manager, she's terrible. She doesn't pay attention to time, budget, or scale. She just randomly picks crap she likes without checking first if it's within scope (the wallpaper from Ashley Simpson and Diana Ross' son which took months to come in), cost (bathtub for Josh D's bathroom), or structural integrity (tub again). There are other examples but those are the most egregious to me. To me, those are key requirements for being a project manager for interior design. 

Her bragging about using a drug where there is a shortage for people who need it speaks to her character as well. 

• Like 10

On the most recent episode, she got so pissy when Jeff called her out for going AWOL in the middle of a job so she could make money in her side gig. She had way more attitude than she had the right to have, IMHO. No one is irreplaceable.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 1/2/2024 at 12:55 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I like this show, more about the design than the personalities. Jeff does crack me up at times, but if it is true what he he says his young daughter says to him, he is in for a real problem, the kid seems like a nightmare. I didn't mind Megan on Flipping Out, but I find her annoying on this. I was sad to hear about Andrew and his cancer, but seems he is in remission. It looks like those lovely old olive trees didn't make it, it's too bad.

So sad regarding the Olive trees.  A friend just had her front redone, to the tune of $350,000.00, and the designer wanted to put in a $50K olive tree, and she refused it.   Glad to see that she didn't get it, as those died.  Her area was much smaller than Jeff's, with no driveway or entry ponds, but it is terraced.  I can just imagine what Jeff charged.  I was honoured to be asked to consult and sign off on the design.  What are friends for :)   Hope that Andrew is continuing his remission.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Jeff apologizes to Megan for calling her out in public. Um, she does know they are on a TV show, right? I'm sure that was somewhat staged for maximum drama. Maybe he wanted to show he has grown since the Jenni bloodbath. 😬

Andrew is a trooper. 🥹

• Like 3
(edited)

that actress with the "great taste" and the gorgeous yard who wanted Jeff to redo her pool pavilion annoyed me no end. Can she talk without smiling? She seems to think she's incredibly amazing. 

Also, she lets her cats outside in an area with bears? (I would think that bears implies coyotes as well). I live in an area with coyotes and yes, they eat cats.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

that actress with the "great taste" and the gorgeous yard who wanted Jeff to redo her pool pavilion annoyed me no end. Can she talk without smiling? She seems to think she's incredibly amazing. 

Also, she lets her cats outside in an area with bears? (I would think that bears implies coyotes as well). I live in an area with coyotes and yes, they eat cats.

Which is why mine never get to go outside. It’s not worth the risk. 

I think Jeff false flatters people to get their work. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Megan appears to be a kind of Jenny-replacement to balance an all-dude cast. They don't show her doing much beyond making vague design statements or agreeing with Jeff, and she has other clients. She really wants the TV exposure, probably for her own business. I think young Tyler is a better designer but he doesn't get featured in the episodes.

I noticed when Jeff was yelling at her about not being with the team one day, she managed to say "Nobody told me to be there," which I suspect is true. Reality TV usually treats everyone as independent contractors. So Jeff has zero basis for ordering her physical presence at a particular time unless production specifies it. In fact a key IRS indicator of employee vs. independent contractor status is whether the contractor controls his/her own time and location.

Production probably forced them to "make up" to finish out the season. Megan did not seem happy to be there.

It's weird how so many of Jeff's projects fall behind schedule and/or go over budget. I think this is because the Hollywood Houselift clients want TV/promotional exposure - they can get any LA good designer otherwise - so they are content to deal with the "delays" Jeff is always going on about.

I also have noticed paid-promotion stuff more frequently, such mentioning appliance brands by name. Other design shows are doing the same.

Andrew was once portrayed as a flibbertigibbet, and now he's capable and reliable. I am very sad for his cancer diagnosis and hope he gets through it. I hope he has a true support system.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 1/13/2024 at 7:24 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

On 1/6/2024 at 9:06 AM, pasdetrois said:

Megan's not a designer; she just pretends to be one on TV.

There are decorators and there are designers. She might be the former, she sure isn't the latter.

Lol Jeff said as much on the latest show with a clip of her admitting she didn’t bother to measure her light fixtures before she brought the pictures to Christina Ricci. 

• Like 1
On 1/13/2024 at 8:24 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

There are decorators and there are designers. She might be the former, she sure isn't the latter.

But I don't believe she is either? Isn't she a project manager? If you have ever done a major house project, you have no idea how valuable they are. They sometimes step in and give opinions about certain things, what they are seeing in other homes, how you can achieve your desired look without blowing your budget, if that fridge you want will fit, if there is one that looks similar but won't require you do redo a bunch of millwork but they don't design or decorate they manage, coordinate and recommend.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Just saw Kate Bosworth's finished project. I've lived in Wisconsin most of my life, so an outdoor TV mounted in a semi-open area wouldn't be practical. How does that work in California? Does someone bring it inside when it rains? Throw a tarp on it? Is the TV water-resistant?

• Like 1