Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Destined

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Llywela said:

After rewatching the episode, I've realised that Kamala's natural honesty, as discussed above, only comes into play occasionally. There are also scenes where she has absolutely no trouble lying to her mother's face, like when Muneeba finds her tending to her injured knee and she says she fell off her bike, no hesitation and no struggle, just a straight-up lie. In episode two she also straight-up lied about Zoe 'having a few friends over' to persuade her mother to let her go to what she knew full well was a full-blown party. Kamala has no trouble lying when she wants to. Or when the plot wants her to.

Or she has no trouble lying when she is prepped for it. I thought that Kamala clammed  up at the end not because she couldn’t lie but because she was just too upset to have the conversation at all. In the first episode we see that she preps for things and is fine but when she’s on the spot she gets flustered.

I’m the same way. If I feel the need to lie and have the time to think about it ahead of time I can lie without hesitation or struggle. If I am surprised it’s not pretty. 

I felt like those were more typical teenager lies. "Oh, I hurt myself doing something I oughtn't so... I fell off my bike." "Oh, I want to go to this party. It's not a party, it's a casual get together!"

I think that's fairly normal low stakes stuff that doesn't require a hell of a lot of duplicity to really pull off.

But I was also quite the gifted liar as a kid. My parents were lucky I wasn't the type to get into serious trouble.

Interesting spin on Kamala's origins. I'm excited to see where it goes, especially now with the idea of her and Muneeba going to Pakistan!

Everything about the wedding was lovely. The group hiding ALL of Aamir's shoes was cute. I really loved Tyesha's parents getting in on the wedding dance (even if I wish Gabe was Kamala's age.) And Bruno dancing/getting taken under the auntie's wing--he's a good kid. And Brown Jovi!

Man, the elders were being great all over this episode. I love that the show is maintaining Sheikh Abdullah's role as a mentor for Kamala. Very sweet that he sought her out when she slipped away from the pre-wedding get together, and I love what he told her about "good" being something you do, not who you are. Then we had Muneeba sharing her story of coming to America as she cleaned up Kamala's knee and Yusuf being all excited to help Bruno with his "homework" about the djinn. (Side note: Yusuf is the best and must be protected at all costs.)

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 6/27/2022 at 1:23 AM, Llywela said:

There are also scenes where she has absolutely no trouble lying to her mother's face, like when Muneeba finds her tending to her injured knee and she says she fell off her bike, no hesitation and no struggle, just a straight-up lie.

I expected her mother to remind her that her bicycle had been stolen when she snuck out to AvengerCon. How could Kamala have hidden that her bike was gone? Did her parents reward her with a replacement bike after she had deceived them?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I expected her mother to remind her that her bicycle had been stolen when she snuck out to AvengerCon. How could Kamala have hidden that her bike was gone? 

Very easily particularly with everyone involved with wedding planning. Unless she usually rides her bike to school it wouldn’t be that noticeable at 16. 

2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I expected her mother to remind her that her bicycle had been stolen when she snuck out to AvengerCon. How could Kamala have hidden that her bike was gone? Did her parents reward her with a replacement bike after she had deceived them?

We've seen her riding on the back of Bruno's bike since hers was lost, so she doesn't have a new one, no. Her mother just doesn't know the bike has been lost.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:51 PM, possibilities said:

I loved the wedding and all the family stuff, but I did wonder why Tyesha's family was not portrayed as being more involved. It seemed like Tyesha was inserted into the Khan family, more than that there were two families being joined.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:09 PM, Ailianna said:

It dud seem like her family was there and involved. It could be a situation where her family has pretty generic or no traditions, and it certainly looked like more fun than most euro based weddings.

Tyesha’s family may not have been Muslim, and she may have been a convert (as an adult or when she began seeing Kamala’s brother), so the Khan family took the lead on wedding planning. 

Also optically the Khan family is the star of this show, their cultural traditions are going to be highlighted more than those of an ADOS family from NJ. (I’m assuming Tyesha’s family is “American Descendants of Slavery”- ADOS because the havent told us otherwise).