Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Destined

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

With the Department of Damage Control on her tail, Kamala tries to lay low ahead of her brother's upcoming wedding. When she meets a group of people who have information on mysteries that have plagued her family for generations, Kamala begins to learn more about the source of her powers. These friendly strangers need Kamala's help, but whatever decision she makes could have grave consequences.

Premiere date: June 22, 2022

OK, so the lady from last episode is Namja, not Aisha. Namja is in yellow in the 1947 flashback scene and Aisha in blue. The bangle is supposed to be part of a pair, which strongly suggests some of the speculation that it was (spoiler tagged speculation for the future)

a Kree(?) Mar-vell type Nega-Bands thing. And I say Kree since they found it on a blue arm

Aw whew, Kamram's actually 17, so this isn't an Edward Cullen/Angel situation. 

I really appreciate that the title cards aren't the same variations on a Ms Marvel logo but are new variations each episode.

I like all the characters, including Yusuf and Bruno, but that little bit of exposition lore about the djinn in the Circle Q was hella clunky. 

The party and the wedding were lovely, and the heart-to-hearts between Kamala and her mom and Aamir and his dad were great. But the reception afterwards was joyous. Well, until the almost inexplicably murderous Noor/Djinn came in.

Hmm, Kamran in the show seems way better than in the comics, where he's a big jerkface. But his family/faction are exactly as big jerks as they were in the comics.

Haaaaaaaaah, Muneeba salvaged the (small) Hulk salwar kameez for Gabe! (Tyesha's younger brother, though he looks considerably younger than he is in the comics.)

Bruno getting fairly seriously hurt while trying to help Kamala is very on brand from the comics too. (comics spoiler)

that's one of the reasons he gradually establishes some boundaries and an identity for himself beyond just Kamala's sidekick/guy in the chair.

It was a small but very realistic touch that the reception hall had multiple wedding receptions going on.

Does Kamala's grandmother seeing the train mean she has the other bangle? Will Kamala get two bangles and thus unlock more powers?

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Why is Disney/Marvel being stingy with after credit scenes? (Aka nothing).

Because this a series. There is no need to constantly tease things for something going week to week.  They always tease for the finale to build up anticipation and after the finale since that is standard for the universe. They don't tease for the other episodes. They've been doing this for over a year now.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Because this a series. There is no need to constantly tease things for something going week to week.  They always tease for the finale to build up anticipation and after the finale since that is standard for the universe. They don't tease for the other episodes. They've been doing this for over a year now.

That said, they did have a small after credits scene in the first episode.

Also, Pakistani-Muslim weddings are awesome and we as a world need to see more of them to bring joy into our cold, dead hearts.

• Like 4
  • Love 5
(edited)

Kamala needs to up her excuse-making game by leaning into half-truths a bit more. When her family confronted her at the end there, clamming up and refusing to say anything could only make things worse for her, when it would have been so easy to tell at least a partial truth by way of explanation. "There was a scary dangerous gang attacking people in the hotel. I got separated from you all and they chased me. I had to run and hide from them. I saw them hurting people. I was so scared and I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to get away from them." A statement like that, and both parents would have been bang on side, offering comfort instead of disappointment - add a few tears, and she might even evade dangerous follow-up questions.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Kamala needs to up her excuse-making game by leaning into half-truths a bit more. When her family confronted her at the end there, clamming up and refusing to say anything could only make things worse for her, when it would have been so easy to tell at least a partial truth by way of explanation. "There was a scary dangerous gang attacking people in the hotel. I got separated from you all and they chased me. I had to run and hide from them. I saw them hurting people. I was so scared and I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to get away from them." A statement like that, and both parents would have been bang on side, offering comfort instead of disappointment - add a few tears, and she might even evade dangerous follow-up questions.

I've yet to see the full episode, but honestly, I'm glad that Kamala isn't the usual deceptive child-hero sociopath.  I like that lying to her friends and family is hard and painful for her so she's bad at it.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

Did I miss part of the episode? Why did the Djins go all psycho? They couldn't wait like 2 days for Kamala to help them get home after they've been here for like a 100 years? That just reeks of bad writing. "We need a superhero fight scene here! Just make it happen! Consistent character motivation? What's that?"

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ah, so the mysterious lady from last week wasn't Aisha/Kamala's ancestor, but Najma instead.  And while she and the majority of the gang do have expanded lives, Kamram is only seventeen, so Kamala's good to continue the romance!  Priorities, people!  Oh, and when I say gang, I really mean they're actually Djins from another dimension and want Kamala's bangle to help get them back to their world.  Even if it could cause some kind of damage to do so.  That certainly went from zero to a hundred in a flash!  Think it was a downside/casualty to only having six episodes, because I think it would have been better to have the Djins around for an episode or two before this revaluation and sudden heel turn.  Instead, we barely got to know them, so it really wasn't that surprising.  But with them now all in Damage Control's hands, I'm curious to see how that will shake things up.

Glad Nakia already knows about Kamala's powers, even though I guess she's going to feel hurt over Kamala keeping it from her at first.  Hope she understands that Kamala is still new at all of this and it wasn't like she was hiding this for years.

Everything about the wedding; including the pre and post receptions; was perfection.

Kamala's conversation with Sheikh Abdullah reminded me a little of Matt's conversations with his priest on Daredevil.  Thought it was a nice little moment.

Aww, Bruno made Kamala her mask!  Can't wait to see her put it on.

Yusuf might be protected at all cost!

Kamala might need to go to Karachi next week to visit Nani?  And Muneeba might need to come with?!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

In the camera pull back, during the 1942 scene in India where the bangle is taken from the blue arm (assumption: Kree,) we see the symbol of the 10 Rings in the dirt. I went back 30 seconds to make sure I saw what I thought I saw! The Mandarin is involved. Killing Kree?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3

Thank goodness for Kamala that Kamram is neither related to her or secretly an adult who only looks like a teenager, but on the less good side, he's the son of the new bad guy. So in the show, Kamala is actually part djinn and the bracelet unlocks her djinn powers, which I think sounds like a pretty cool new origin for her powers. I am really curious about their nature in the MCU, are they more like extradimensional aliens? Actual supernatural creatures like the mythological djinn and are trying to get back into heaven? Did they find Aladdin to be an affront to their culture? Were those shadowy figures Kamala saw other djinn? If she gives the bracelet to her mom or brother, will they get powers?

Kamala is still pretty bad at this whole superhero thing, especially having a secret identity, but I actually like that. She's just a normal teenager who has no idea what is happening to her and has no real guidance, she has no clue what she's doing and she's still in over her head, I can imagine it will take a minute before she comes into her own as a hero. Poor Kamala, it seemed like she met some nice people who could actually help her, and they turn out to be evil. The djinn really need to better take their time if they want to manipulate someone into doing their bidding, Kamala was probably going to help them despite Bruno's warnings if they didn't decide to attack her and threaten her friends and family, they really couldn't have waited a few more days after over 80 years at the very least? 

I think the djinn showing their true colors so quickly is part of the shows short season and them needing to do a lot in a short amount of time. I suspect that Marvel looked at their Netflix shows and how they clearly should have had shorter seasons and overcorrected, so their current crop of shows have seasons that are too short now. I think just about every Disney MCU show could have benefited from at least one or two more episodes. 

A lot of nice character moments with Kamala and Muneeba, Kamala and Sheikh Abdullah, and the whole wedding sequence was a absolute delight. So many colors and everyone looked like they were having so much fun with their dance before the uninvited guests showed up. I especially loved the little bits where Aamir grabbed all of the money they got before they ran out of the building (good call!), Bruno getting grabbed by an Auntie to get a crash course on wedding traditions, and Tyesha and the bride from a different wedding complimenting each others dresses. 

I saw the Ten Rings symbol in that cave flashback! Continuity nod or are we getting some kind of connection between the rings and the bracelet? Also liked the reference to Dr. Selvig and the Hulk costume, just a few nods are always fun. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

In the camera pull back, during the 1942 scene in India where the bangle is taken from the blue arm (assumption: Kree,) we see the symbol of the 10 Rings in the dirt. I went back 30 seconds to make sure I saw what I thought I saw! The Mandarin is involved. Killing Kree?

Or the rings and the bangle are from the same place/dimesion.

I'm glad Nakia knows, I'm not sure why they were not telling her. Before the Djinns lived up to their stories about being demons. They waited over a 100 years, what's a few days. It's not like Kamala knows how to get them home. She doesn't seem to have inter dimensional travel powers or know how to make sun powers. It'll take time for her learn that. There was no need to ruin a wedding or rather 2 weddings. 

Since thats not Aisha, where has she been all this time? She wouldn't have aged either. 

The arm they took the bangle from did look blue, so I wonder if the Kree are involved. 

• Love 2

Poor Kamala, the people she thought would understand and help her actually turned out to be the bad guys. At least Kamran is decent (and actually a teenager!). Talk about impatient though. The Djinn waited decades and they can't handle waiting just a few more days until Kamala can help them safely? 

The wedding reception looked so fun. Well, up until it got crashed by the Djinn. I love the dance everyone did for Aamir and Tyesha; I rewatched it several times.  "Living on a Prayer" playing during the fight scene in the kitchen was a nice touch. I laughed when the one chef saw her colleague get knocked on the head by one of the Djinn and was like, "nope, nuh-uh" and booked it out of there. But Bruno got hurt, and now Nakia knows and is understandably upset that she wasn't told the truth and had to find out that way. 

Love that Bruno made Kamala her mask. Also love Yusuf and his secret Hostess cherry pie. Protect him at all costs! 

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
22 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Why not?  Per Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Spoiler

Xu Wenwu had been warring and conquering (secretly or not) for a 1000 years or so.  Most of the few Kree we've seen have been arrogant assholes.  If some of them showed up and started some shit with him (especially if they went after his Rings), it's easily plausible that Wenwu murked them.  And then put that symbol there because heads stuck up on pikes don't last as long for the purposes of your "If you screw with me I will kill every last mother's child among you" warnings.

Edited by johntfs
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

They sure were ok doing it for Loki, Falcon and Winter Solider and Wandavision.

Just sayin.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Just sayin.

All of those shows only had one or two episodes (mostly at the end of the run) with post-credits scenes.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, arc said:

All of those shows only had one or two episodes (mostly at the end of the run) with post-credits scenes.

Uhhhhh what!??!

Loki was 6 episodes. Falcon/Winter was 6 episodes. Wandavision was a whopping 9 episodes!  Most of them had some end credit scene pretty much after each episode.

Edited by greekmom
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Uhhhhh what!??!

Loki was 6 episodes. Falcon/Winter was 6 episodes. Wandavision was a whopping 9 episodes!  Most of them had some end credit scene pretty much after each episode.

Well, I guess I missed a bunch of extra content because the only times I recall end credits scenes were in the very last episodes of each series.  To my knowledge Ms. Marvel is the only MCU Disney+ series to feature an end credits scene in its first episode.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, phalange said:

The wedding reception looked so fun. Well, up until it got crashed by the Djinn. I love the dance everyone did for Aamir and Tyesha; I rewatched it several times.  

Pretty much every South Asian wedding is exactly like what they showed. These days the guys and girls dance together even at Muslim weddings, for some conservative people it’s quite shocking!

I love Bruno. His Bollywood moves were excellent! 

My sister-in-law’s sister got married last year (in New Jersey), I’m sad she didn’t book Brown Jovi for her wedding.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Most of them had some end credit scene pretty much after each episode.

Nope.

Wandavision had them in the last three episodes. I think FATWS only did it for the last two.

Edited by arc
  • Love 2

So do those baddies just have no patience, or did Kamala's empowering unlock some event on a timeline?  I'm thinking the second, given the end of the episode.

4 hours ago, greekmom said:

Uhhhhh what!??!

No.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Did I miss part of the episode? Why did the Djins go all psycho? They couldn't wait like 2 days for Kamala to help them get home after they've been here for like a 100 years? That just reeks of bad writing. "We need a superhero fight scene here! Just make it happen! Consistent character motivation? What's that?"

It was implied (and somewhat confirmed later by Kamala's grandmother) that something other than her powers were triggered by her wearing the bangle.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Just sayin.

They didn't continously do it for any of those series. Just sayin. Wanda has two...at end. Falcon had one...at the end. Loki had one...at the end. I literally wrote this already. They've been doing towards or at the end of season. Not throughout the season. The original poster was asking why they are being stingy with the mid credits scenes. They aren't.  They are doing what they've been doing.

WandaVision (2020)

There are two post-credits scenes in the season finale of WandaVision. The first sees Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Paris) in the aftermath of Wanda leaving Westview, where she is approached by a Skrull who says she was sent by her old friend, Carol Danvers. 

The other sees Wanda Maximoff living a reclusive life in a wooded location as she studies Agatha Harkness' books of magic and she begins to hear her children cry out. Marvel updated this ending after the finale aired, and you can now see an astral form of Doctor Strange approaching Wanda's cabin, teasing both characters' future in The Multiverse of Madness. 

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (2021)

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier's season finale features only one post-credits scene. It sees Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp) receiving a pardon from the US government and the opportunity to return to her old job. As she leaves the courthouse, she calls one of her former contacts and says that she now has direct access to US technology and weapons. 

Loki (2021)

The Loki season finale features a very small post-credits scene that sees a TVA file stamped with the message, "Loki will return in Season 2."

What If... (2021)

The season finale of What If featured a post-credits scene that sees Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) return to her own timeline. Once there, Black Widow defeats Batroc, and then Peggy arrives and they discover the Hydra Stomper armour that Steve Rogers used to fight alongside Peggy. Before the scene ends, Natasha reveals that there's someone inside the armour.

This is their trend. To do it towards or at the end to set up for more. They don't need to do that through the season. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Anyone else get Jurassic Park vibes during the hide-and-seek scene in the kitchen? Too bad Kamala couldn’t figure out a way to lock one of the djinn in the walk-in freezer!

Edited by tkc
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

Life’s little lessons: if a new friend says they were exiled and they need your help to get back home, it may be a fraught conversation to ask why they were exiled, but it’s probably gonna be relevant information!

(that said, as long as Namja was lying anyways, she shoulda said they were refugees or stranded or something else that didn’t raise red flags.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, johntfs said:

I've yet to see the full episode, but honestly, I'm glad that Kamala isn't the usual deceptive child-hero sociopath.  I like that lying to her friends and family is hard and painful for her so she's bad at it.

I agree, and I too love that about Kamala. But my point was that in this situation she didn't actually have to lie. Like, at all. There were certain details she couldn't mention (like that the scary gang were specifically looking for her because she has exciting new powers they want to make use of) but she could absolutely have told the truth about getting separated from her family in all the confusion and having to hide from the scary gang who were attacking people.

But like you, I do appreciate that deception of any kind is so alien to Kamala that it wouldn't even occur to her that she could tell a partial truth. She either tells the whole truth or she says nothing at all. There's no middle ground there.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, arc said:

If a Hostess fruit pie ends up defeating a villain, this will be the greatest achievement in superhero live action adaptations ever.

You might want to watch the Boys then. There an Almond Joy defeated a villain.

15 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

It was implied (and somewhat confirmed later by Kamala's grandmother) that something other than her powers were triggered by her wearing the bangle.

That seems more than thin as a reason to go psycho and potentially jeopardise your chance of going home. But thanks for the answer. I must have missed that.

11 hours ago, arc said:

it may be a fraught conversation to ask why they were exiled, but it’s probably gonna be relevant information!

Yes! I was wondering why Kamala wouldn't even try to pump Kamran for that info on the dl. She's just cool with the whole thing.

I think one key bits about the Djinn's heel turn was Kamren's mom saying something like "We're out of time."  She covered it with "We need to go home."  but there might be more to it than simple eager.  I mean at the start of the show they had Kamala and the Bangle right there among them at close quarters.  They could have just grabbed/forced her then.  Instead they tried to persuade her and let her go.

I think something changed.  Maybe the Djinn have other enemies that are after them and they need to get back home to be safe from whatever is hunting them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Llywela said:

I agree, and I too love that about Kamala. But my point was that in this situation she didn't actually have to lie. Like, at all. There were certain details she couldn't mention (like that the scary gang were specifically looking for her because she has exciting new powers they want to make use of) but she could absolutely have told the truth about getting separated from her family in all the confusion and having to hide from the scary gang who were attacking people.

But like you, I do appreciate that deception of any kind is so alien to Kamala that it wouldn't even occur to her that she could tell a partial truth. She either tells the whole truth or she says nothing at all. There's no middle ground there.

Even though I knew it likely wouldn't happen (storytelling conventions and all), I was actually rooting for her to tell her family the full truth. She's not really done anything wrong - she took the bangle thinking it was just any old bangle (surely that's forgiveable), she's used her powers in public twice (both times to save someone) and then people she's just met who she explicitly told she didn't want to be in contact with right then and who she didn't know were evil crashed the wedding, so she pulled the fire alarm to save everyone's life.

Surely none of that (even including the superpowers) is as bad as ruining your brother's wedding on purpose for no reason (which is what it looks like to everyone atm). It doesn't even ping on her mother's "don't live in your imagination" radar, because those superpowers are very real and proveable.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Telling the truth could have been a good idea. But I think Kamala knows if she’d come clean her parents would take the bangle away.

I was getting Mysterio vibes from Najma so it wasn’t surprising when she turned. This episode also reminded me a bit of Hawkeye. The scene where Muneeba helps Kamala bandage her knee is similar to when Eleanor helps Kate with her bandages. And in Kamala’s fight with the Djinn she managed to hold her own against an opponent with much more experience and strength - similar to Kate’s fight with Kingpin. I can’t wait for the two to meet.

A lot of the show’s ads made it seem as if the show would have high school as a big part but it seems like family is more important to the show and because of that I’m enjoying this show much more than I thought I would.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, silverstream said:

Even though I knew it likely wouldn't happen (storytelling conventions and all), I was actually rooting for her to tell her family the full truth. She's not really done anything wrong - she took the bangle thinking it was just any old bangle (surely that's forgiveable), she's used her powers in public twice (both times to save someone) and then people she's just met who she explicitly told she didn't want to be in contact with right then and who she didn't know were evil crashed the wedding, so she pulled the fire alarm to save everyone's life.

I was really hoping the same thing, especially after the great pre-wedding talk Kamala had with her mom. 

Also I guess it is comics accurate, but I hate the just a border around your eyes super hero mask. That's not disguising anyone.

Although I did like how Kamala figured out that she could use her light power to make armour. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, starri said:

They could have ended the series on Yusuf waxing rhapsodic about the Hostess Fruit Pie and I'd have been completely satisfied.

The man should be old enough to remember that the Hostess Pies were better pre-bankruptcy.

• Applause 1
2 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

A lot of the show’s ads made it seem as if the show would have high school as a big part but it seems like family is more important to the show and because of that I’m enjoying this show much more than I thought I would.

There is an emphasis on a culture and their concerns from a point of view that I have not really seen on TV and am not familiar with. Now we will go to those countries and see what parts have been transferred to America.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:47 PM, phalange said:

Poor Kamala, the people she thought would understand and help her actually turned out to be the bad guys. At least Kamran is decent (and actually a teenager!). Talk about impatient though. The Djinn waited decades and they can't handle waiting just a few more days until Kamala can help them safely? 

The wedding reception looked so fun. Well, up until it got crashed by the Djinn. I love the dance everyone did for Aamir and Tyesha; I rewatched it several times.  "Living on a Prayer" playing during the fight scene in the kitchen was a nice touch. I laughed when the one chef saw her colleague get knocked on the head by one of the Djinn and was like, "nope, nuh-uh" and booked it out of there. But Bruno got hurt, and now Nakia knows and is understandably upset that she wasn't told the truth and had to find out that way. 

Love that Bruno made Kamala her mask. Also love Yusuf and his secret Hostess cherry pie. Protect him at all costs! 

Actually  that threw me off, they had a Bon Jovi tribute/cover band the D.J. wouldn't also be spinning Bon Jovi when they took a break. I guess that I was all in with the wedding and was thinking this was the actual environmental music.

🤷‍♂️ Who knows maybe it was music from the other wedding party?

"We're all from another dimension."

"Oh... of course." 

Well, what else can you say?

Changing Ms. Marvel's origins to djinn is a cool idea. I read a great fantasy trilogy last year, all about different kinds of djinn and how they mixed with regular people. Also, the less we get of Inhumans the better, because they fucking suck.

Although I don't really know why the djinns suddenly decided to act during the wedding. Seems unnecessary. The action scenes were a little clunky in this one, with some poor blocking, pacing and editing. 

Nakia is going to be president one day, I'm sure of it (but only in the Marvel universe, where they can sanitise a lot of the worst attitudes about Muslims). She also seems like this show's secret weapon, because she absolutely kills every moment she's on screen.

This show is just full of warmth and heart, and I really like the emphasis on healthy relationships - Yusuf being so fond of Nakia and Bruno as well as his own kids, Aamir's wedding being so joyous and fun, Sheikh Abdullah being a friendly, approachable Iman rather than the sort of strict ascetic we normally see in popular media. Even Muneeba, the supposedly strict, uptight parent, is caring and happy.

Yes, Bruno, go to Cal Tech. Don't be the guy who sacrifices his own life to prop up his superhero buddy.

Sorry, but the actor playing Kamran looks his age, which is about 27. He's way too old to be a romantic interest for a sixteen year old. I do not want that to progress.

Bon Jovi are getting some good shine here, as New Jersey's premier rock band (although they're only second on that list, after the E-Street Band).

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

This show is just full of warmth and heart, and I really like the emphasis on healthy relationships - Yusuf being so fond of Nakia and Bruno as well as his own kids, Aamir's wedding being so joyous and fun, Sheikh Abdullah being a friendly, approachable Iman rather than the sort of strict ascetic we normally see in popular media. Even Muneeba, the supposedly strict, uptight parent, is caring and happy.

I love the family dynamic, the scenes with Muneeba/Kamala and Yusuf/Aamir, and how Muneeba and Yusuf have basically accepted Nakia and Bruno as part of their family. Another small detail was how they included Tyesha's family in the wedding dance as a surprise to Tyesha, what a lovely gesture.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Sorry, but the actor playing Kamran looks his age, which is about 27. He's way too old to be a romantic interest for a sixteen year old. I do not want that to progress.

For what it’s worth, he says he’s 23. The show was filmed about a year and a half ago, so he woulda been 21-22 playing 18.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, arc said:

For what it’s worth, he says he’s 23. The show was filmed about a year and a half ago, so he woulda been 21-22 playing 18.

Okay then, he looks older than his age, which is even worse because Iman Vellani looks younger than hers.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Bon Jovi are getting some good shine here, as New Jersey's premier rock band (although they're only second on that list, after the E-Street Band).

I would agree with Jay from pReview'd that I'm more a King of New Jersey fan than the Prince. THAT BEING SAID, I love, love, love that Brown Jovi exists in the MCU. To be honest, the little nods they give to music here and there have always been delightful. Luis' grandmother's jukebox being full of nothing but Morrisey for example.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

"We're all from another dimension."

"Oh... of course." 

Well, what else can you say?

Changing Ms. Marvel's origins to djinn is a cool idea. I read a great fantasy trilogy last year, all about different kinds of djinn and how they mixed with regular people. Also, the less we get of Inhumans the better, because they fucking suck.

Although I don't really know why the djinns suddenly decided to act during the wedding. Seems unnecessary. The action scenes were a little clunky in this one, with some poor blocking, pacing and editing. 

Nakia is going to be president one day, I'm sure of it (but only in the Marvel universe, where they can sanitise a lot of the worst attitudes about Muslims). She also seems like this show's secret weapon, because she absolutely kills every moment she's on screen.

Yes, Bruno, go to Cal Tech. Don't be the guy who sacrifices his own life to prop up his superhero buddy.

I am hearing real world feedback about how dare they make the Muslim hero a Djinn. Therefore I am guessing Djinn bad guys who are lying to Kamala 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, arc said:

3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Okay then, he looks older than his age, which is even worse because Iman Vellani looks younger than hers.

Google has at least 3 different ages for him so I don't think we really know how old he is lol. I suspect he's probably closer to the highest age I've seen listed for him (36) than he is to 23 but he's probably hiding it so he can more easily play teens.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 6/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, tkc said:

Anyone else get Jurassic Park vibes during the hide-and-seek scene in the kitchen? Too bad Kamala couldn’t figure out a way to lock one of the djinn in the walk-in freezer!

I just watched the episode and was coming here to ask the exact same thing (my brain kept making that raptor call out noise haha). And then after they left the kitchen, I got strong vibes of the JP scene in the lobby where the raptors have the heroes encircled and I was waiting for a T-Rex to come in and save the day. I feel perhaps the vibe was on purpose since in the movie the kitchen and lobby scene are essentially back to back like it was in this episode.

I loved the Bollywood dance number but then I'm a sucker for a well choreographed musical number even if it is completely random (but this one wasn't random).

As a non comic book reader, I may have to give this episode a re-watch to fully understand all the exposition dumping that occurred with the Djinn etc.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Google has at least 3 different ages for him so I don't think we really know how old he is lol. I suspect he's probably closer to the highest age I've seen listed for him (36) than he is to 23 but he's probably hiding it so he can more easily play teens.

The 36 comes from the Wikipedia entry for an American businessman with a similar name (Rishi instead of Rish) who was indicted on federal fraud charges when Ms. Marvel was casting. That’s definitely not him. Based on interviews he’s probably mid-20’s.  

After rewatching the episode, I've realised that Kamala's natural honesty, as discussed above, only comes into play occasionally. There are also scenes where she has absolutely no trouble lying to her mother's face, like when Muneeba finds her tending to her injured knee and she says she fell off her bike, no hesitation and no struggle, just a straight-up lie. In episode two she also straight-up lied about Zoe 'having a few friends over' to persuade her mother to let her go to what she knew full well was a full-blown party. Kamala has no trouble lying when she wants to. Or when the plot wants her to.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3