Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Castle Leoch

Athena
  • Start Topic

I've just realized there are a few Scottish words that come up a LOT in the book and probably will turn up in the show so they need to be defined for the non-readers.

Honestly, no, they don't need to be defined for me. I'm enjoying figuring out the language, and it enriches the "otherworldly" dimension of the show that I'm really enjoying. I'd rather not read about language translations from the book in the episodes thread. I'd prefer to not know anything about the books. I want to take in the episodes on their own merit. 

But it might be interesting for others, of course. Maybe it would be some fun for those who are interested to start a language thread?

• Love 1

I can’t be the only one having a problem in understanding what is being said – am I?  Please tell me I am not alone.

Not alone at all.  Luckily, I'm more than happy to watch each episode multiple times until I get everything.  A little off topic, but watching this show reminded of a video interview I had with a Scottish man.  Between his accent and the poor sound quality, I caught about one-third of what he was saying!  I had to improvise big time.

She's doing a much better job than I would be, but... she did have about 72 hours on a horse with nothing to do but think about a better explanation for how she ended up in northern Scotland, and the best she could come up with was that she's somehow journeying to France by way of the Scottish Highlands. 

If I spent 72 hours with Jamie pressed up against me, I doubt I'd be able to focus on getting my story straight!

Edited by nara
  • Love 5

I can usually figure out what the word means by the sentence or what's happening on screen, so I don't need it defined for me all the time. As for not understanding the accents, I find it easier to hear what they are saying when I'm watching the show on my laptop then from the tv. 

I probably would have trouble thinking straight from the smell of everyone. And Jamie's hotness. lol

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

The cinematography is so beautiful it makes me want to cry.  I really wasn't expecting this show to have been anything more than some substandard bodice ripper.  I thought this because those I know who have read the books portrayed it as such.  I didn't realize how much I was missing out until I saw the pilot and then decided I needed to at least read a summary of what the books and show were about.

The dialogue and quality of acting far surpasses another great genre show, Game of Thrones.  I'm not all that fond of the voiceover, but as someone only vaguely familiar with the time period, it is nice to be reminded of other events that happened or were to happen so that I can connect things I already know about the time period and find myself easier immersed in Claire's world.  Though I do hope the voiceovers become less frequent over time.  The actors are so great and the flashbacks so well done that once the world is firmly established, the voiceovers will only serve to weaken the show.  

I think my favorite part of this episode was the undressing and redressing.  The nudity didn't feel gratuitous at all.  It seemed more designed to make the audience feel a bit of what Claire was feeling - fear and vulnerability - rather than just a bit of titilation.   Then the whole process of the undressing and dressing was so well done.  Takes only minutes to remove 1940s clothing, much like it took little time to place her hand on that rock and get sucked through time and then a long process to building the layers of 1740s clothing, which sort of paints the picture that her time there will be lengthy and take a while for her to build herself into a person who isn't in constant danger.  

Anyway, damn, such a lovely show.  

I agree with everything you said apart from the BIB^; the acting and dialogue are great yes, but GoT equally has some fantastic dialogue and exceptional acting imo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Something occurred to me ... I wonder if Claire warned the clan not to let their children eat the plant that the young boys did because it's poisonous or even if they would listen to her. They're all into the "it's the devil" or some such nonsense, but they *are* aware that some things are poison and they shouldn't eat them.

Man, so Outlander airs in Canada three weeks later than everyone else, so I'm that much behind. Castle Leoch aired tonight and man - Jaime is one beautiful man. I have to say, I would be a very weak woman in the midst of that sexy thing.....*sigh*

Good episode, much more engaging than the pilot - it seemed to move faster. One thing I thought odd - that Claire seemed to be treated like an upperclass aristocrat. Her clothes, her behaviour, everything seemed to lean to her being wealthy. Why would the Laird have clothing sitting around to clothe someone to give the impression of wealth. That is just what I was thinking.

For the Laird McKenzie - I thought that he suffered from ricketts - what was the ailment that Claire diagnosed? I didn't properly hear it.

I hope I got these names, right. And Jaime is bloody beautiful and dammit, Claire, get some. Because that is some beautiful man.....

• Love 6

For the Laird McKenzie - I thought that he suffered from ricketts - what was the ailment that Claire diagnosed? I didn't properly hear it.

Toulouse-Lautrec Syndrome, although Claire also said that the man it was named after wasn't born yet.

• Love 2

Good episode, much more engaging than the pilot - it seemed to move faster. One thing I thought odd - that Claire seemed to be treated like an upperclass aristocrat. Her clothes, her behaviour, everything seemed to lean to her being wealthy. Why would the Laird have clothing sitting around to clothe someone to give the impression of wealth. That is just what I was thinking.

He is a laird so he has a tailor and there is probably a dress maker in the village too. I don't think Claire looked that much classier than some of the women. The dresses may be cast offs from his wife as well. 

• Love 1

One thing I was concerned about was whether having the same actor play Frank and Black Jack would seem too gimmicky, although it is true to the book. But I think the actor did a great job, and it didn't bother me at all.

I'm so happy with the series so far!

Oh and I loved Claire's hair being such a mess when she first got up. Her hair was always an issue for her and that just seemed like a very realistic moment.

• Love 1

Toulouse-Lautrec Syndrome, although Claire also said that the man it was named after wasn't born yet.

That's what she said? Interesting. Had to look it up, but people who suffer from it tend to have very weak bones and are very short in stature.

The Laird is resilient, considering the time he is living in. They did a really good job with the effect for his legs I have to say. Poor guy.

He is a laird so he has a tailor and there is probably a dress maker in the village too. I don't think Claire looked that much classier than some of the women. The dresses may be cast offs from his wife as well. 

Forgot about the wife - yes, you are right. Probably from her. It's just when Claire walked into the great hall for dinner, she really presented as upperclass in my mind, and she looked better dressed than everyone else, save the wife. Just compare that to the woman who was accused of "inappropriate behaviour" and Mrs Fitz. I guess I just thought that they wouldn't be giving the nicer clothes to a stranger. Part of it too is that the actress has this regal bearing to her.

Oh and I loved Claire's hair being such a mess when she first got up. Her hair was always an issue for her and that just seemed like a very realistic moment.

I noticed that too - especially in shows where everyone is perfectly groomed. her hair was a mess, but looked good done up.

• Love 2

Forgot about the wife - yes, you are right. Probably from her. It's just when Claire walked into the great hall for dinner, she really presented as upperclass in my mind, and she looked better dressed than everyone else, save the wife. Just compare that to the woman who was accused of "inappropriate behaviour" and Mrs Fitz. I guess I just thought that they wouldn't be giving the nicer clothes to a stranger. Part of it too is that the actress has this regal bearing to her.

It's clear to everyone that Claire is a gentlewoman. Part of it the actress, but Claire herself seemed to have been born into at least an upper middleclass family. While her upbringing was unconventional, we can assume she went to boarding school at some point. Frank seems to be of the same class; he is educated, was an intelligence officer, and a professor. They are English so class matters. 

I think she does look and act classier than some women of that time, most of whom were working class or lower middle in the Castle. I think the laird and Dougal aren't sure who she is so it's better to treat her well and see what she can do first. 

• Love 3

Mrs. Fitz notices her unblemished skin.  There's a line in "Gone with the Wind" that you can always tell a lady by her hands and Claire's have clearly not seen hard labor.  She's a trained healer, which is a valued skill.   Add all that to an accent that no doubt sound posh to people who have no idea what "posh" means and yes, they'd presume she was "special" even if they can't quite figure out where she fits in their world.

• Love 5

I just remembered that Mrs. Fitz did comment on her skin. That, and she is pale also, so no hard labour and no outdoor labour either.

Athena - that's right! - they want to find out information from her and to do this, are treating her well - at least for a few days. Know thy enemy. At the very end, with the Laird declaring that Claire had to stay in the castle to serve as healer - not so nice. But then, she can bond some more with Jaime, right? *shallow thoughts*

What a contrast to Black Jack Randall attacking Claire right away, without knowing anything about her.

• Love 2

In addition to being well spoken, she's also clearly well educated.  Throughout much of European history, especially for a woman, that's a pretty big flag that somebody's not part of the peasantry.  If a character can obviously read well or tells you they're educated, had a tutor, etc., that's a pretty strong indicator that they were raised probably at least middle upper class.

• Love 3
What a contrast to Black Jack Randall attacking Claire right away, without knowing anything about her.

Actually, he does learn something about her -- or something she tells him that is partially true. If I'm recalling correctly from episode 1, she tells Jack that she's the wife of Frank Beauchamp who is a teacher because he snidely responds, calling her Claire Beauchamp, the teacher's wife.

Now, as far as I know, she hasn't given anyone that information in the Mackenzie clan ... I think. But, when I think of teachers of that time, I don't necessarily think of them as gentry. They are usually a little lower in status than that since they have to sell their skills to gentry to educate their children. Unless Claire tells them he is a teacher at a university, which -- I'm assuming -- might be more prestigious than a hired tutor. In any event, I'm just speculating on how they would view Claire's class in relation to her husband's status in life.

But the one major difference is that the teacher in question is a woman. I don't think back in that time, that women were "allowed" to be teachers or whatever. The teachers were men, and yes, they were educated and could read, but it was not a high paying profession at all. The fact that one had to work as a teacher would actually denote one was a more lower class person. Because they had to work, as opposed to living off of their wealth. At least from the history I have read. Correct me if I am wrong, forgetting something.

Most girls - if they received an education - it was only for a few years, then back in the home to "learn" to be a proper wife. So I guess there were some female teachers and tutors for those girls who did get a few years of education - but same thing applies. If a woman had to work, then she was more lower class.

But the unblemished pale skin, her ability to read, being a "healer", her bearing all indicate that Claire is more "upperclass."

Regarding the accents - I thought they were quite deliberately softened to make them more understandable.  I have no trouble understanding them, but I have often had to ask my wife's relatives from Elgin to repeat themselves.  Lord knows what a true period-correct accent with period-correct slang would sound like - I expect unintelligible to even modern Scots.

LOVED the undressing/redressing scene with Claire and Mrs. Fitz. Aside from showing Claire's vulnerability, I really appreciate that they showed how many pieces go into one of those outfits.

As swoonworthy as Jamie sacrificing himself left and right for women is, I felt like having so many instances of it in one episode made him a little too Gary Stu. But hey, if that's the price for having him shirtless, I think we can all live with that.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who got the Mrs. Patmore vibe from Mrs. Fitz!

I got the cuckoo vibe from Giulia Farnese too, so it will be interesting to see if she's just a weirdo or a full on psycho. I mean, when our introduction to her character is saying she would use an herb to kill her husband, she can't be the most sane rational person on the show.

Kl0EfAk.jpg

Left to right Rupert, Murtaugh, Angus, Dougal, Jamie.

So Angus is the one with the yoga ponytail!

How in the world is Laoghaire pronounced?
It's pronounced Leer-y. :)

Laoghaire, I dub thee Dawson (mostly because it's easier to spell).

• Love 2

The way I distinguish who Angus is, is that he reminds me of a little pug dog and seems very pugnacious! ;-) His "better half" seems much more hangdog and has the look of a depressed hound dog.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

So the powers that be posted an extended scene from episode 1:02 -- part of their plan to throw us a bone on the 4th of every month during the hiatus.  I thought it was a great idea but color me disappointed.  It was just meh -- a few more lines from Rupert during his confrontation with Claire at the stable.  Really guys?  That's the best you could come up with to help us get through Droughtlander?  You raised my expectations and did not live up to them.

• Love 4

Yes, especially since it was only an extension of a scene that added nothing to what was left. I get that's why it's deleted but seriously they must have tons of stuff that would be "newer" or add more dimension to what was aired.

I think bloopers would have been more exciting.

• Love 4

I watched this episode last night, and I'm really enjoying it excepted for two things. 

1. The rape and assault of woman just to progress Jamie's storyline. 

2. I really don't like Jamie. He just has no charisma, Sam Heughan is a decent actor but he's no leading man, and he's not good looking enough to be there just for the pretty. 

I haven't read the books yet but I think that might have to happen.

I have a few initial thoughts.

Each time they say Castle Leoch my brain hears "Casterly Rock" from Game of Thrones.

The voiceover is...not my favorite.

I hope this doesn't turn into an absurdly long waiting game for these two charactersto bone.

Jamie I really like. I guess I'm destined to be fans of characters named Jaime..

• Love 1

While I'm all for feisty women, I was wondering what exactly gave Claire the supreme self confidence to act as if her being driven back to the stones was a done deal. That offer was entirely in the gift of her hosts, so "play nice" until you're actually on the cart? Of course, it might help if you used he time you have to explain why & how an Englishwoman from Oxfordshire was travelling to the Highlands in an attempt to get to her relatives in France. And that supposes that simply touching the stones will be enough return her to her own time, which is one hell of an assumption. She'd look really stupid standing hugging the stones only to have to walk back to Castle Leoch and ask them to take her back.

However, one thing in her favour is that any "relatives in France" would (like the Highlanders) be assumed to be Catholic. Set against that, though, is the fact that while it was no longer illegal to be a Catholic in England, it's pretty unlikely they would be of the sort of wealthy background that Claire would have to be (she's a rare educated woman with "French" undergarments).

Another thing that nags about Claire's character is her intermittently 20th Century values intruding. Now it's understandable that she would be outraged at Black Jack raping at every opportunity, but I doubt it would be seen as such a heinous crime at the time. But if she is (understandably) going to get upset over women being raped, shouldn't she have asked what became of Jamie's sister?

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 4:19 PM, nodorothyparker said:

It was also a total giveaway that this was made primarily for American audiences with her offhand "decades before the American revolution" comment despite the fact that there are no American characters in the story at this point and it would have had nothing to do with Scottish-English politics at the time. 

Particularly since anyone with a reasonable knowledge of Scottish history would be more likely to think, "Two years before Bonnie Prince Charlie's uprising (1745)" which I'm sure will occur in a later episode/Season.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 6:17 AM, ganesh said:

Sorry, but when they showed the table and Claire looked at it I was hoping for a v/o about her missing her missed undergarments.

I wanted a line like, "Well I know THAT surface isn't sterile!" Although her particular contribution to rendering it unsterile won't happen for a couple of centuries.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 6:15 PM, annlaw78 said:

So I'm confused -- if Britain is at war with France, wouldn't Scotland be, too?  I don't know how "Scotland" could have allied with France at that time, since it didn't exist as a separate political entity.  Help!

Although the thrones had been united since James VI of Scotland became James I of England (1603) and the Parliaments since the Act of Union (1714, I think?) that did not mean the English King was popular in Scotland (to put it mildly!). This was particularly the case once the Catholic sympathising (and in James II case, actually Catholic) Stuarts were replaced by the (German, Protestant) Hannoverians. There were numerous French attempts to use the Scots (and Irish) as a potential backdoor through which to invade England, right up to the Wolf Tone uprisings during the Napoleonic Wars.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 3:08 AM, JennyMominFL said:

I was waiting for her to unzip her head and show her alien self

So THAT'S where I know her from! It was really bugging me.

• Love 1

This episode was a nice continuation of the last.  What I found most interesting was Claire trying to figure out her backstory and her survival instinct.  It's also interesting to see her in places that she explored in the first episode.  

• Love 1

The story of Jaime is just touching. And when they showed his back, my goosebumps ran all over my body.😓 This is a solid wound ... And he is still a hero! He speaks in defense of the girl and agrees to be beaten in her place. He is great! But how does he handle it? The horror ... The terrible life was in those distant times.
And Claire is almost in love with him. 100%! But for the present she cannot admit this to herself. She still belongs to another world and another husband. But she cannot return there now.
Well, let's see how she will cure people, and whether she can get out of the trap ...😎

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, so this episode is where I really got hooked into this saga. The scenery, the sets, the costumes, the lighting, it's all so lush, like 'Medieval Luxe', even though it's the 1700's! What struck me first is that in 1743, the gentry of London were living fairly well but the folks up in the more remote Highlands were living more closely to Medieval times, or so it would seem. Such a contrast of life there.

Any time I see a dark, candlelit castle I have feelings of dread because in GoT nothing good ever came from a dark castle, but I did appreciate so much groundwork that was laid during this episode. It felt freeing that Claire was fully in 1743 now, and it made me feel as though Frank, as a character and as a husband, is more or less superfluous now. Even when Claire was crying about her husband whilst tending to Jaime's wounds, it felt more like tears of sorrow for being thrown into this unknown life with no way of getting back out of it, and less about any deep longing for Frank - he of the long-winded diatribes about all the 'interesting' things he knows.

Where to begin? Mrs. Fitz is a good starting point I reckon. I felt her hesitation in sussing up the strange, bedraggled woman being brought to her doorstep, but once she got a brief explanation, she really took Claire under her wing, particularly when she realized that Claire had 'the gift', though I was surprised that Claire didn't clarify that she knows 'a bit about healing' and maybe could have lied and said she'd learned some nursing in London or somewhere far enough that they couldn't fact check it. To just agree with someone saying you 'have the gift' could be an admittance of practicing witchcraft, which I'd have thought would be punishable by death in some horrid way, so I was surprised she agreed with Mrs. Fitz so quickly and without clarifying. In any case, I think Mrs. Fitz can either be a friend or foe, depending on how Claire bonds with her, nor not. But if she's a foe she could cause a lot of trouble so better to befriend her quickly.

The scene with Claire tending to Jaime's wounds was lovely in that it really set up some good tension and attraction between the two. Jaime seemed almost relieved to hear that her husband was dead. Clearly he's intrigued and attracted, and we got some cheeky lines from him, setting him up to be not only hunky, but also a nice guy with a great sense of humor. It is a this point I am assuming he's a heart breaker already.

Again, as with E01's lines of "Alcohol?" "Oh yea yea, here ye go!", we get, "He's a fornicator, and shagger of wee beasties when there's no women around", and one starts to relax with these guys, realizing that they don't always mean harm and they actually have very good senses of humor.

Geillis was just...weird. She seems more like a witch than a healer and I'm getting hinky vibes from her. Yes she helps women with 'unwanted' pregnancies, but there's something not right there...more on that in other episodes. She's on my spidey sense list for the moment.

When Claire brings bandages to Jaime at the stables, you can feel her interest continue to grow. She seems almost shy around him, which is endearing. I also felt like her 1940's life was barely there anymore because she'd become so entrenched in Castle Leoch so quickly. One thing that struck me was why she wouldn't wear a shawl or anything to cover the boobage spillover when she walked into the hall for dinner the first time. Yikes. Girl, I told you to take that wrap with you when you woke up at the Stones!

The whole Great Hall thing where Jaime takes the punishment for Laoghaire was...odd. I know it's foretelling something, mainly the set up between Jaime, Dougal and Colum, but the way Dougal was glaring at Jaime when he first told everyone he'd take the punishment for the girl, I got the feeling that Dougal was pissed that Jaime was coming across as the handsome nice guy who saves poor girls from public shaming. Whilst he, Dougal, wouldn't give a crap nor a second thought to a girl getting the strap in public. Obviously there is a three-way situation with these guys, but it's not clear what exactly. Though they all looked very awkward and angry when Claire thought Hamish was Dougal's son so there's that too, but that has nothing to do with Jaime per se. Another thing I noticed on second viewing was that while Jamie says Colum and Dougal are his uncles, brothers of his mother, and both have high standing in the Clan, when Jamie recounts the first fateful visit to his ancestral home by BJR, we see him out in a field, collecting hay. That sort of task seems like something a servant would do, given the home seemed to be quite impressive, s sort of smaller version of Castle Leoch. But if Jaime’s uncles are the two highest ranking men of his Clan, it seems like he wouldn’t be haying his own fields...I realize that his mother married out of the family and into the Fraser family but still, that stood out to me on second viewing and it made me wonder if there is much more to Jaime than being a hunky outlaw. 

The scene with Mrs. Fitz dressing Claire was fascinating, all the layers and crap that a woman had to wear, good lord! But also interesting that she appeared to give Claire the clothing of a lady of higher standing, those weren't rags she was donning. I'm sure looking the part of a lady, and with how she carries herself and how she speaks, it's perplexing and suspicious to the men of Castle Leoch. Claire isn't really dialing back her 1940's personality to try to fit in better, nee, she is just plowing forth as if she can speak the same way in the 1740's, and that comes across very awkwardly at times and will no doubt get her into big trouble.

There is so much to write about, and I'm sure I'll add more once my viewing mate makes it over here (she's probably just falling through the Stones about now) but overall I felt that this episode is where the story really either grabs you or it doesn't, and if it does, you better hold on because it's likely going to be a long and bumpy ride!

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 2

What a great place-setter episode. With any historical drama or genre show, we either believe that the show believes, or we don't. Because the producers, creative team and actors commit, or they don't. That commitment is everywhere in this episode. Everything's tangible and it feels right.

I love Jamie's temperament, and how it complements Claire's. There's a sunniness about him, despite all. He's trusting; he's game, and insightful enough to have a choice about that. There's no malice in him, not even in his humor. I imagine his temperament is at least as unusual in that time and place as anywhere else -- let alone in the hero of a romantic drama! -- and yet, if you've met someone like that, you know it's real. He's confident in the world as well as himself. Maybe that's what one of Claire's parents were like, or her uncle, and as a child, she was affected by both sides of that character. At an age when she had to rely on them to survive. (Yet survive she did, even if one or all of them had been on the reckless side of trusting or game.)

I like how Jamie trusts her on sight, and on principle: he perceives her moral core as well as her mad skillz. It's as if his sunniness illuminates her character to him. Claire makes him feel safe, somehow. He can feel how, like him, she usually has a completely different agenda than most people around her. So he's making a point to her -- kindly -- when he tells her that she's a kind woman. And he's making a point to her -- trusting that she'll hear it -- when he tells her that he'd decided to trust her; that he didn't think of lying to her about who he was. Dougal has Rufus as his eyes on the sassenach; Jamie trusts his own.

• Love 6
On 3/8/2021 at 2:51 AM, gingerella said:

There is so much to write about, and I'm sure I'll add more once my viewing mate makes it over here (she's probably just falling through the Stones about now) but overall I felt that this episode is where the story really either grabs you or it doesn't, and if it does, you better hold on because it's likely going to be a long and bumpy ride!

Just quoting you to say that I'm really enjoying your comments.  You are so on top of the various undercurrents happening in the show.  There are so many things that you mention here (and in your Episode 1 post) that I want to respond to, but I can't do it without being spoilery. But anyway, just keep on doing your thing, because it is so great!

44 minutes ago, Pallas said:

I love Jamie's temperament, and how it complements Claire's. There's a sunniness about him, despite all. He's trusting; he's game, and insightful enough to have a choice about that. There's no malice in him, not even in his humor. I imagine his temperament is at least as unusual in that time and place as anywhere else -- let alone in the hero of a romantic drama! -- and yet, if you've met someone like that, you know it's real. He's confident in the world as well as himself. Maybe that's what one of Claire's parents were like, or her uncle, and as a child, she was affected by both sides of that character. At an age when she had to rely on them to survive. (Yet survive she did, even if one or all of them had been on the reckless side of trusting or game.)

I like how Jamie trusts her on sight, and on principle: he perceives her moral core as well as her mad skillz. It's as if his sunniness illuminates her character to him. Claire makes him feel safe, somehow. He can feel how, like him, she has usually has a completely different agenda than most people around her. So he's making a point to her -- kindly -- when he tells her that she's a kind woman. And he's making a point to her -- trusting that she'll hear it -- when he tells her that he'd decided to trust her; that he didn't think of lying to her about who he was. Dougal has Rufus as his eyes on the sassenach; Jamie trusts his own.

I love LOVE your bolded comments above.  His temperament perfectly complements Claire's, which I think is a stark contrast to what we saw in the previous episode and we can begin to understand the inner conflict that Claire is surely to have over these two men and these two time-periods.  My husband is very Jamie like in his outlook, temperament, and his confidence.  He just has this assuredness that is so freaking attractive.  I think it is one of the reasons that I immediately keyed in on Jamie when reading and watching - I KNOW that guy.  

Finally, I really appreciate this last bolded assessment.  He has a way of communicating with her that she actually hears and trusts. I think it is a comfort to her, and I wonder if she has ever had that person in her life before.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Pallas said:

I like how Jamie trusts her on sight, and on principle: he perceives her moral core as well as her mad skillz. It's as if his sunniness illuminates her character to him. Claire makes him feel safe, somehow. He can feel how, like him, she usually has a completely different agenda than most people around her. So he's making a point to her -- kindly -- when he tells her that she's a kind woman. And he's making a point to her -- trusting that she'll hear it -- when he tells her that he'd decided to trust her; that he didn't think of lying to her about who he was. Dougal has Rufus as his eyes on the sassenach; Jamie trusts his own.

I love how you phrased this @Pallas. Yes, there is near-instant truth between these two in an atmosphere where most are mistrustful of anyone who is perceived as 'different'. Example, Claire being asked if she 'had the gift', rather than just saying, 'Aye, so ye know about healing and plants do ye?' It has to be 'a gift' thus denoting she is different that other people. And Jaime is different too. He seems almost innocent and yet has been in prison, escaped, involved in killing a man, and is wanted by the British Army. And yet he comes across as a sunny, happy go lucky lad, doesn't he? Where others might be broody and dark, he does not allow life's harshness to dim his light. And he sees Claire's inner light too, two lights acknowledging one another.

In that last surgery scene, I also don't think any man has spoken to Claire and touched her soul in the way that Jaime did with just a few word. Certainly Frank never did, at least not that we've seen thus far. But Frank doesn't see the light within Claire, he classifies it as sort of 'feistiness'  when he says at the train goodbye something along the lines of, "Woe to the man who stands in your way Claire Beachamp Randall". But it's almost a backhanded compliment, whereas Jaime sees her strength, her mind, her intentions, he sees Claire's soul, something Frank probably never did, and that is what is shaking her to her core. A man has awakened things in her she didn't know existed until now.

4 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Just quoting you to say that I'm really enjoying your comments.  You are so on top of the various undercurrents happening in the show.  There are so many things that you mention here (and in your Episode 1 post) that I want to respond to, but I can't do it without being spoilery. But anyway, just keep on doing your thing, because it is so great!

Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome, it means a lot to our merry little band to know we're not barging in on hallowed ground here. And thank YOU for responding to our missives, so long as they don't contain spoilers it's all good! In watches like this, where so much is going on simultaneously, I find I always learn more and remember more when I read a thoughtful post!

• Love 3

10 hours ago, Pallas said:

What a great place-setter episode.

Aye, lass. That it is. 

We learned a great deal about Jamie:

- His father was a landowner and he was related to the Mackenzies via his mother. (From Jamie's exposition about how he got the scars on his back. "They put a levy on all the land-holders in the county, sent out small parties of soldiers collecting food, horses for transport, and suchlike." And that his father was away at a funeral the day Black Jack arrived.)

• still to learn— Is his father still alive?

- Jamie's sister was raped by Frank's ancestor. (Initially I wondered if that might mean Frank's lineage comprised a bit of Jamie's, but Black Jack would not have acknowledged a random bastard for the public record. He'd have needed his own volume!)

Murtaugh is the name of the man who rescued Claire from Black Jack Randall. I'm liking him more the more I see him. (now we just need to know why he is so protective of Jamie)

- Jamie trusts Claire enough to let her know his back story and that Mactavish is a fake name, not to mention telling her that he trusts her.  (This exchange may be related to Dougal & Callum's reason for putting Jamie to work in the stables and why he should not be caught in the castle.)

• still to learn—more about this family connection (what IS his last name since it is his mother who is from the Mackenzies.)
  • Jamie's outlaw status and the extent of Black Jack's involvement - presumed deeply involved

A bit about Claire:

- She has been trained in how to withstand interrogation (although she seems to have slept through some of those lessons)

- That her study of medicinal plants also taught her (and me—via professor Google) that there was a clan known for their medical smarts know as Beatons. That is what she asked Mrs. Fitz to understand what was meant by "a charmer".

(oops. will have to leave it at this for now.)

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 3

During a mini review of episode one I ran across this little exchange from when Claire had her tea leaves and lifeline read by the Reverend's housekeeper(?).

Everything in it's contradictory. There's a curved leaf, which indicates a journey, but it's crossed by a broken one, which means staying put. Hmm. And there are strangers there, to be sure. Several of them. And one of them's your husband, if I read the leaves aright.

And on to reading her palm:

The lifeline's interrupted, all bits and pieces. The marriage line's divided. Means two marriages. But... Most divided lines are broken. Yours is... Forked.

Certainly speculation bait if I ever heard it.  My first assumption was—as @gingerella has been noting—was that Frank was a stranger to her. Makes sense in the 1st episode, but what with the forked marriage line and all the falderal with Claire and Jamie, and with umpteen more seasons ahead of us... hmmm.

Thought we might need to harken back to this... just in case. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Anothermi said:

Everything in it's contradictory. There's a curved leaf, which indicates a journey, but it's crossed by a broken one, which means staying put. Hmm. And there are strangers there, to be sure. Several of them. And one of them's your husband, if I read the leaves aright.

And on to reading her palm:

The lifeline's interrupted, all bits and pieces. The marriage line's divided. Means two marriages. But... Most divided lines are broken. Yours is... Forked.

I'm just sitting here, drinking my coffee, and smiling at this.  One of my favorite things about the source material is that the author doesn't say things that don't mean something down the road.  There aren't many throw away lines or even characters.  She plants a lot of nuggets here and there, and then a few books later, they pop up again.  I think you are already seeing this with the content of the show so far.  

The three of you have inspired me to go back through all of these episodes with you, but I'll try to keep my commentary as superficial as possible to ensure that you all remain unsullied.  I'm thoroughly enjoying your fresh perspective.

• Love 3