Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: Girls Night Out

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

I really, really, really want to see Beau play Nicely Nicely in “Guys and Dolls.”

He would crush it (assuming he can sing; “Sit Down You’re Rockin’ the Boat” is my favorite number from that).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, healthnut said:

What tour was this?

I should have said tours with a plural.

She was in Derek Hough: Live!, Maks and Val Live: Stripped Down Tour, Derek Hough: No Limit, and Dancing With The Stars: Live!

She was also a background dancer in DWTS when Derek did his Tango of the Dead routine.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
On 6/23/2022 at 11:17 PM, rlc said:

Leah Remini has no business being on this show. It is an insult to the dancers.

Alexis is very good, and Keaton did well considering his lack of experience. Carter and Ralyn did better this week than last. I fear that Beau will win this season because they want to prove a point, but I ask you- if he had a typical dancer body and the same skill level, would he have made it past auditions? No, I don’t think so. The technique is not there. Waverly could have gone home this week, and I’d be just fine with that. Jordan has lovely technique- I hope she starts to connect more. Anna likely won’t make it much longer, but there’s something I really like about her on stage. Wasn’t particularly impressed with Essence performing in her own style. Thiago is a soloist, not a partner dancer. 

If and when this show has the DFYL solos again, Thiago is going to be very difficult to beat. He is amazing to watch. The control he has is breath taking. I've watched some of his work on YouTube. Just WOW!

On 6/23/2022 at 11:38 PM, P2C2E said:

I could judge as well as Leah Remini and neither of us has any business judging this show. Judges are there to help the audience interpret what they don't know. To tell me that someone needs better extension or what the technique should look like. They're there to tell me what good partnering is and give specific dance critique. Leah is just giving the audience perspective, "that moved me" "you look beautiful together" "you took me on a journey". All that shit is stuff I can see for myself. Tell me something I don't know!!

She is just so out of place and out of touch. And I think she knows it. Half her sentences started with "I agree". She can't have an opinion of her own because she doesn't have an opinion of her own because she doesn't know enough to have an opinion!

So well said. Agree with every word.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2022 at 8:19 AM, Pj3422 said:

THIS. Along with the studio audience vote, I’m disappointed in this season. 

And as long as we’re talking about stupid judging, here are my ill-informed comments: 1. Jojo has really tiny hands, like chipmunk-sized. I wouldn’t have noticed if she hadn’t been waving her arms around during the judging. 2. I really, really, really want to see Beau play Nicely Nicely in “Guys and Dolls.”

Brother Nicely Nicely Johnson.............. That is a perfect PERFECT role for Beau. I can see him in the number, "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat".

Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat

• Love 2
On 6/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, bourbon said:

I wish they had three judges: one contempto/jazz, one hip hop, one ballroom. Between them, they should have enough vocabulary to judge the major styles and the other styles that sneak in there like Broadway, Bollywood, tap, or afrojazz. I don't *mind* in theory a judge who is not an expert in dance. I think expert judges get a little too wrapped up in technique or throw around terms that non-dancers aren't going to get (I still, after all these years watching, don't know what hip hop judges mean by "in the pocket.") and don't tend to focus as much on chemistry and audience connection. I think it can be helpful to have a judge who is there acting as audience surrogate actually watching in person. That said, Leah does not add anything to the conversation. It's not cute or funny to have a judge screech about the dancer's "flippy thing." It's an insult. I'd rather have Mary Murphy. Or aren't there any DWTS castoff pros who need a job? Hell, I'd rather have Vanessa Hudgens back. At least she has musical theatre experience. 

Beau just dances very heavy to me (no pun intended). It all just seems very labored. Don't know if he sings, but there are a ton of musical theatre roles he could kill. But here doing contemporary in a wind blown linen shirt? It just doesn't work. I liked Carter this time out, and I really enjoy Keaton's athleticism. 

Please forgive me but................Off topic here but just wanted to mention that Vanessa Hudgens dated Austin Butler who is Elvis in Baz Lurhmann's film.

• Like 1

I loved Keaton in that cha cha.  He exuded a Dimitri/Benji swagger that I loved so I have no idea what Twitch was talking about.  And Pasha!  Hi Pasha.

Also I have to agree with an earlier poster that Beau, while delightful and superb in musical theater, didn't do much in that dance besides chase Anna around.  What was JoJo going on about?  I watched their side by side and there wasn't that much technique.  I like the pairing but I had Nigel flashbacks at the overpraising.  

• Love 2

Still glad this show is back but for me, there's a noticeable lack of maturity in a lot of these dancers performances. Starting with Keaton. I was impressed in his audition but he continues to give me more hammer than scalpel. When his partner was trying to assure her husband, and then they started to dance, I immediately thought her husband has absolutely nothing to worry about. He gives me Patrick Swayze vibes as far as his build but he has none of Patrick's inherent sexiness. They're mostly young, and it shows in their dancing. I have yet to see a true smoulder out of any of them. I've been entertained, but there are no Pasha's or Anya's or Robert's or Jasmine's. They're kids, and their dancing is reflecting that for me. To quote Mary, no hot tamale trains. So that's disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Essence and Thiago were so much fun to watch. Loved it!

I agreed with the in danger couples.  Jordan and Waverly are wonderful dancers but that was just not good. Virginia is certainly athletic and flexible, but I think the fact she isn’t a waif put a target on her.  James was kinda out of his league.

I ff through the judging. When I first heard Jojo was going to be a judge I complained about lack of experience. So then the producers decided to one up this by adding Leah. Jojo, I owe you an apology.

Ah, Fik-shun. I was trying to remember his name the other day.  Loved him. Wanted to put him in my pocket and take him home. Has he done anything noteworthy since the show?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Opening number - Sia called. She wants her hair back.

Regarding Carter - He seems to have just a tad too much Spartan Spirit.

For two ballroom classes, Keaton did well enough, but to my untrained eye his arm extensions could have been sharper.

It probably hadn't been planned but Essence showed that hairography can be done right. Her and Thiago's number was my favorite of the night.

• Love 3
On 6/23/2022 at 11:56 AM, BlackberryJam said:

I think Waverly is getting a pass because he's Julliard trained, but he's likely to go out next week. James was just not good in that routine, and neither was Virginia. The whole thing looked uncomfortable, and not in a deliberate way. 

I want to know how he can be Julliard trained and not have any jazz experience?   He was dreadful, simply dreadful.   He's beginning to strike me as a bit of a diva, unwilling to deviate from his own vision -- similar to the way Legacy gave attitude years ago about how he wanted to approach any choreo he was given and perform it as he chose.

Wanted to love Essence and fully expected her to shine this time, but honestly I was very underwhelmed with her performance.   I know she can bring it based on her audition, but I just never felt she got down into it this week.  Maybe the audience and judges were mesmerized by her face, because she once again was jaw droppingly gorgeous.

• Love 3

Essence is gorgeous and such a fun person to watch dance. And that pink they put her in? Y'all and that hair! I forgot that her partner was even on screen. But I will say the leg over the head and up to the desk move that she was nervous about during their rehearsal practice didn't really seem to smooth itself out. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, hiisa said:

Essence is gorgeous and such a fun person to watch dance. And that pink they put her in? Y'all and that hair! I forgot that her partner was even on screen. But I will say the leg over the head and up to the desk move that she was nervous about during their rehearsal practice didn't really seem to smooth itself out. 

I wish they didn't even focus on that move during their intro.  It just made me anticipate when it was coming and then it wasn't smooth.  I also didn't think that it was such a big deal to have it in the routine. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
On 6/24/2022 at 11:11 AM, dogdays2 said:

The only one of the current judges who has ANY perspective is Twitch.  

I totally agree. I didn't really know why Matthew Morrison was a judge, but I know he has done a lot of musical theater. I cannot stand to see or listen to Jo Jo with a Bow Bow (that is the only way I will ever see her after watching Dance Moms). She is totally obnoxious and I do not get the way she dressed at all. tWitch is awesome and has been since the first time we met him. Leah Remini???

• Love 1