Type keyword(s) to search

Tulsa King - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know, like most gangsters in TV and movies, Dwight really does not care when he passes out money like candy,

but AFTER Dwight slipped the DMV woman some money to move up his driving test, Dwight then discovers that

his learners' permit functions just like a "regular" license, so Dwight probably won't bother showing up for the driving test,

especially since the other guy drives him around anyway.   Waste of money there, Dwight.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2022 at 6:23 PM, WatcherUatl10 said:

liked it a lot. Some funny stuff. I kept thinking I'd seen some of this concept before, and maybe "My Cousin Vinnie" is what I'm thinking of, but it seemed that there was some other show/movie with gangster types as fish out of water, but making the place their own in the end.

Are you thinking of My Blue Heaven with Steven Martin and Rick Moranis?  

• Love 2
On 11/19/2022 at 6:23 PM, WatcherUatl10 said:

I loved how he set up a protection racket that amounted to the weed place paying protection money to him to be protected FROM him.

That's pretty much how the mob works. "Nice shop you have here, would be a shame if anything happened to it...'

We watched this last night after Yellowstone. It was OK, a little predictable, but it won't make me subscribe to Paramount+ to watch more episodes.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:25 PM, Twilight Man said:

I know, like most gangsters in TV and movies, Dwight really does not care when he passes out money like candy,

but AFTER Dwight slipped the DMV woman some money to move up his driving test, Dwight then discovers that

his learners' permit functions just like a "regular" license, so Dwight probably won't bother showing up for the driving test,

especially since the other guy drives him around anyway.   Waste of money there, Dwight.

Except learners permits expire in a couple of years and he would need ID again.

• Useful 1
On 11/21/2022 at 9:13 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Are you thinking of My Blue Heaven with Steven Martin and Rick Moranis?  

That's what I was thinking of.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:25 PM, Twilight Man said:

Oops, you spoke too soon!

This is the favorite new show of Mr. and Mrs. EtheltoTillie.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

I like this well enough.  I mean there is absolutely nothing new or original but sometimes new and original actually turns me more off then on.   The concept of a bad guy inadvertently getting tied to an ATF agent is straight out of one of my favorite shows The Americans  when FBI agent Stan Beeman moved his family across the street from Russian spies The Jennings.   Well jinkies Batman……only this time both are well aware of who the other is and are perfectly capable of playing with fire…..so maybe more like a weird version of Sons of Anarchy.  Bad guy drags good girl down with him.

Still entertaining enough and I like the cowboy nature of the show and I can see how an old world gangster would thrive in Tulsa even if it isn’t somewhere he would want to be.   The world has passed him bye while he was in prison and he can’t even send a “package” back home without a credit card which he can’t get without a picture ID.    25 years ago cash was king but now credit is.    So he is a fish out of water but maybe in a place where he can exist but with the added wrinkle of a love interest who is much younger and a cop.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1

For a mobster cash is still king because credit transactions can be tracked by the feds and good luck hiding 100K in transactions while having no job and paying no taxes while being an ex-con.

As long as pot is illegal on the federal level you cannot buy it using a VESA or Mastercard nor put the profit in a bank which is why the mobster made a pot store his first stop in Tulsa.

It's not like one guy can walk into a town and take over the illicit drug trade, prostitution, gambling, or extortion racket. To be honest sending an old mobster to another town to "start up something" is just an easy way to get them killed.

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, UnknownK said:

For a mobster cash is still king because credit transactions can be tracked by the feds and good luck hiding 100K in transactions while having no job and paying no taxes while being an ex-con.

As long as pot is illegal on the federal level you cannot buy it using a VESA or Mastercard nor put the profit in a bank which is why the mobster made a pot store his first stop in Tulsa.

It's not like one guy can walk into a town and take over the illicit drug trade, prostitution, gambling, or extortion racket. To be honest sending an old mobster to another town to "start up something" is just an easy way to get them killed.

It’s a win/win for them either way.   And he knows it.  The bosses send him to Tulsa which may essentially be someone else’s territory to make them money and if he does they make money of his efforts for doing essentially nothing,  If he dies then a guy who could be a real problem for them….isn’t anymore.   

• Like 2

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City has the same basic plot. A mob tough guy gets out of jail after doing his time and gets sent off to a backwater place to spread mob influence while also staying out of the way of the old guard. Eventually they come to town to try to take over which I am sure will also happen on this show.

I'm enjoying this show so far and I like the humor. I also appreciate that Dwight is shown as being rather smart. A little stubborn but not at all slow on the uptake which is something I don't get to see from Stallone all that often.

• Like 1

Me too, I'm enjoying the show. I liked how we are starting to see some consequences for Dwight swaggering into Tulsa like he owns the place. Like okay, there's no New York mafia there but certainly there has to be some organized crime, right?

I also loved how the daughter got to talking about the past and accidentally let it slip that one of dad's old mob buddies did something to her. She immediately tries to take it back and begs Dwight not to do anything but she knows it's too late. That is a great explanation for why she didn't want to talk to him! Part of her wants the protection of her father but another part of her knows that means someone is going to get killed. And I have a feeling she's not going to be filled with joy about it when she finds out.

I'd like to see more of Dana Delaney, she's only been in one episode so far.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2022 at 10:22 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

So its just me watching? 

Me Too!  I just forgot to add it to Primetrimer list.

Love the show and love Stallone.  I will be watching it and happy it has been renewed.

I felt bad for him when he went back to NY for his brother's funeral and the reception of him being there was pretty chilly.  I understand his daughter was upset with him but sheesh.  The man was in PRISON for 25 years.  So, he stopped calling, did anyone ask him why?  Did she not stop to think why a man in prison would stop calling his family?  Did she think he was partying in prison and too busy to call?  She acted like he left his family for another woman or something.  I thought her anger was misplaced and really, after all these years you would think it would have tempered somewhat.

• Like 5

I am absolutely loving this show.  Last week I watched the Offer and over the weekend I watched the Godfather trilogy so I've been surrounded by the mafia and Tulsa King fits in perfectly. 

Don't trust Dana Delaney's character. Glad to see Dwight getting closer to his daughter.  Wasn't all that surprised what the son did to his Don dad. 

• Like 2

Just caught up on last 2 episodes.  Great series so far.

So, the ATF agent sent the girlfriend of the dumb and now dead biker back to get more or at least some evidence, knowing she most likely was sending her to her death.  Which is exactly what happened.  When she found the laptop, she needed to get out of there.  At that point there was no sneaking it.  She should have just run with it and got into witness protection.

So will the ATF agent have a breakdown and will Slyvester start up with Delany's character.  From what we saw at dinner I think she may be more dangerous than Slyvester's character.  We shall see.

To date this show has not disappointed.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, gaPeach said:

So, the ATF agent sent the girlfriend of the dumb and now dead biker back to get more or at least some evidence, knowing she most likely was sending her to her death.

I find myself wondering if Stacy (the ATF agent) deliberately set Roxy (the biker girlfriend) up to get killed. Roxy was the one who wouldn't shut up about Dwight but she won't be doing that any more. And now Stacy can say "we need to focus on the bikers, they killed my CI!"

Dana Delaney's character (whom the internet tells me is named Margaret) didn't even blink when Dwight told her he went to jail for murder. That suggests to me that she's going to be a player in some way. Well, that and the fact that it's Dana Delaney whom I presume is there to do more than just look good in boots.

• Like 2

10 hours ago

21 hours ago, gaPeach said:

So, the ATF agent sent the girlfriend of the dumb and now dead biker back to get more or at least some evidence, knowing she most likely was sending her to her death.

I find myself wondering if Stacy (the ATF agent) deliberately set Roxy (the biker girlfriend) up to get killed. Roxy was the one who wouldn't shut up about Dwight but she won't be doing that any more. And now Stacy can say "we need to focus on the bikers, they killed my CI!"

Good Point.  The character seemed at odds with telling the CA to go in one more time.  I assumed it was because she knew she most likely was sending the CA to her death.  This explanation may be why.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Dana Delaney's character (whom the internet tells me is named Margaret) didn't even blink when Dwight told her he went to jail for murder. That suggests to me that she's going to be a player in some way. Well, that and the fact that it's Dana Delaney whom I presume is there to do more than just look good in boots.

I told my husband "she was TOTALLY set up by the agent"  

I like Dwight's crew and I don't want anything bad to happen to them but this show is not afraid to hurt folks so I imagine it's not going to go well for at least a few of them.

Margaret (called Peggy in the episode, nice) must be a player. Her milkshake seems to bring all the gangstas to the yard and I don't think it's coincidence that she had Roxy and Armand on the payroll. Another hint was in the previously when Bodhi asked if Dwight thought he was the only criminal in town. We didn't get any movement on the Bodhi plot so I interpret that line to mean someone else.

I think Dwight will know that Chickie is just playing nice and has no actual intention of keeping the peace. But now we've got a nice setup for the New York mob to come rolling into town just as things explode with the bikers and Dwight's newly expanded crew of Cowboy Indians. Should be fun!

Is Vince the mob guy who took the train to see Dwight?  I can see him moving to Oklahoma rather than staying with Chicky.  

Stacy has worn out her welcome with me.  Her entire character  is based around covering up the fact that she slept with Dwight and, rather than admit it right away, keeps  digging in deeper. After all, she didn’t know who he actually was until the next day and should have said- I saw that guy last night.  

The show is getting a little over the top, but my spouse loves it, so we will be in for the second season. 

Add me to the watching-and-loving-it viewing gallery.  I just started binging for completion of my Sheridanverse shows.  Five more episodes to watch and I'm only reading posts to the last aired date as I go along.

Enjoying Stallone and I love Dana Delany (was a devoted China Beach fan and saw her onstage in a Shakespeare play at the Old Globe Theater San Diego) and Annabella Sciorra.

Edited by CrystalBlue
autocorrect misspelled Dana's last name!
  • Like 2

Well that was an interesting season ending.  Stacy is such a bitch.  She made her own decisions with regard to continuing her illicit involvement with Dwight and she was boo-hooing how she's gonna lose her job anyway, and this is how she repays the man who saved her life?

Poor Tina.  On a shallow note, she looked really nice at the bar.  So did Stacy; she had gotten all dolled up complete with curls in her hair for the big betrayal take down.  I hate Stacy now.

Mr. Sheridan, if you're reading this, enough with the gratuitous violent outburst when one of the characters shoots another in the face or head with no warning, nothing.  Please write something new.  The scene with Caolan and his crew was uncalled for.  IMHO.

Looking forward to seeing Sly & Gang next season!

• Like 1

The guy questioning going to war with the "Tulsa mob" just after being raided by the FBI (and the shooting an FBI agent) was shot so the rest of the gang wouldn't run for cover. Do what I say or your dead anyway kind of thing.

• Useful 1

I appreciate your explanation of that scene about the why of Caolan's action, but it was so fast with no dialogue indicating he was thinking about it, just BAM.  I know he's a hardened criminal and the bad "bad guy" but I've seen the shock value instant death shot so many times in recent years that's it's gotten old and is just irritating to me now.  Everyone else's mileage will vary on this but to me the story could have been told without the gratuitous IMO scene.  Like Waltrip chewing the questioning guy out before he dispatched one of his own crew to the afterlife.  😄

On 1/10/2023 at 1:08 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Well that was an interesting season ending.  Stacy is such a bitch.  She made her own decisions with regard to continuing her illicit involvement with Dwight and she was boo-hooing how she's gonna lose her job anyway, and this is how she repays the man who saved her life?

Exactly!  So, to save her job she had to get dirt on Dwight, which she conveniently had with the generous cool million in the bank.  Since they did not bother to explain anything, here is how I see it, Stacy got the money anonymously while in hospital.  Then 3 MONTHS later she can get her job back if she has something on Dwight.  How is showing them that money 3 months after she received it get her job back?  She did not tell them at the time and only told them when they needed something on Dwight??  And how exactly can she prove Dwight set it up for her?  The card only had XO on it and I am sure Dwight did not make it a joint account.

He will be out on the first episode in season 2 so it was a terrible cliffhanger.

• Love 1

The bitch should have taken the million dollars, invest wisely and don't live a flashy lifestyle, gracefully resign or retire from the FBI before her ass gets canned, and go on her merry way.  She could set up shop as  "Former FBI Special Agent" in consulting, teaching or crime fighting, maybe get a gig on TV as a consultant or talking head on a true crime show.  Where else is she going to earn a million dollars?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Cool Breeze said:

Dwight gave Stacy a million dollars?  I must've missed that.

Yes when she was in hospital but he didn't give it to her directly in a marked envelope so he has plenty of deniability for the next series because there is no way to prove it was a bribe because it wasn't and there is no way to prove it came from him either, he didn't get to last this long in the mob by being that stupid & that obvious.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 2

Funnily enough Fiona & I were discussing this show last night & were wondering if we were going to see another season. Good to know we will eventually.

• Like 2

Yes, it's nice to know Sly Stallone will be with us for a second season, at least!  I'm happy that the show didn't mysteriously get cancelled with some bullshit cover story for why.  Filming in Atlanta, Georgia instead of Oklahoma though!