Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Mortality Paradox

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It was a great line
——almost made me forget about my painfully failing body or my aunt whose mind no longer exists in her body. 
Have we seen Claire whip out a tricorder to heal broken bones or anything?

She did grow Gordon a new leg, so broken bones would be a piece of cake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm with Ed: I would want to live forever because I want to see what happens.

Human lifespans are so short when compared to cosmic time. I want to explore the sands of Mars, soar in the clouds of Jupiter, watch the suns rise on Alpha Centauri, see how humankind develops.

My own mortality is on my mind these days the older I get, and it makes me melancholy to think of all I'll never see and learn.

Me too, but how do you know you won't get to see what happens anyway?  Some people see no conflict between science and some of the beliefs found in certain religions,  and also see how the more science gets theoretical the more it intersects with certain religious beliefs.

• Like 3

I was curious about the episode this one was a throwback to, so I watched Mad Idolatry from Season 1 right after this. Wow, the show used to be so much better than this. By the end of the first season, they had found the right balance of sci-fi and light humor. This season is trying way too hard to be Star Trek and it is utterly devoid of the warmth and the charm it used to have. Remember when Ed had a Kermit the Frog doll on his desk?

And not to be mean or anything, but both Seth MacFarlane and Adrianne Palicki have aged quite visibly in just the past five years. I was stunned at the difference in their faces.

It wasn't a bad episode, in and of itself, but it didn't make a lot of sense to have so much 20th/21st century imagery, and it didn't make a lot of sense that the aliens would have been watching them for years because from their perspective their planet only exists in this universe one day every 700 years. 

Orville tries way too hard to be thoughtful, and it comes off as simplistic. And Seth is not a very good actor..

Yeah, and if he decided he wanted to make the show straight-up sci-fi drama they really should have considered re-designing the ship, because even that looks kind of silly. The rear end of it looks like an open mouth, or something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm with Ed: I would want to live forever because I want to see what happens.

That last 5 minutes or so of the ep were the best of any Orville this season. It shouldn't have taken 40 minutes of meh to get there.

The first 40 minutes should have been about the pluses and minuses of immortality. Some people just eventually get bored NOW with 80 years. 

Of course, when Ed said he wanted to live forever, in my mind I answered, "So I can make more shows starring myself and featuring my girlfriends!"

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The rear end of it looks like an open mouth, or something.

I have always thought it looks like a big butt, and was a Family Guy humor thing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Me too, but how do you know you won't get to see what happens anyway?  Some people see no conflict between science and some of the beliefs found in certain religions,  and also see how the more science gets theoretical the more it intersects with certain religious beliefs.

Actually, that's been my philosophy/belief for a while now. The universe is too vast for this to be the only plane of existence. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Actually, that's been my philosophy/belief for a while now. The universe is too vast for this to be the only plane of existence. 

Ah yes. 

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Well, not "your", but you get what I mean.

• Love 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, Superclam said:

I always think giant toilet seat. 

Mostly, at least from some angles, it always makes me think of some sort of sling-back shoe. Which I've always sort of connected in my mind with the Heart of Gold from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy being designed to look like a running shoe. Which is kind of a random series of connections, but a lot of things tend to go back to HGTTG in my head.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Mostly, at least from some angles, it always makes me think of some sort of sling-back shoe. Which I've always sort of connected in my mind with the Heart of Gold from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy being designed to look like a running shoe. Which is kind of a random series of connections, but a lot of things tend to go back to HGGTTG in my head.

Yes.
(I think you can click for larger view)
blob.jpeg

or 3D version:
sketchfab.com/3d-models/uss-orville-60170fd125b348349cedeab68f3cca32

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Mostly, at least from some angles, it always makes me think of some sort of sling-back shoe. Which I've always sort of connected in my mind with the Heart of Gold from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy being designed to look like a running shoe. Which is kind of a random series of connections, but a lot of things tend to go back to HGTTG in my head.

LOL, thank you, it was killing me what it was reminding me of but that's exactly it!  A pointy toed sling back.  I know that shoe, LOL!

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes.
(I think you can click for larger view)
blob.jpeg

or 3D version:
sketchfab.com/3d-models/uss-orville-60170fd125b348349cedeab68f3cca32

b3c49e2f-8cd8-43c1-b4e8-611f87bf0759.d4d

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2022 at 6:32 PM, shapeshifter said:

I love your post☝️, @marketdoctor (heh, the ❤️ icon actually does denote "love" now) except:

•  

Having "Fake" Charley not trusting "Fake" Isaac within the simulation made me think it was not a simulation, and I do think we were supposed to know it was, right? Or was it a triple fake-out? As in:

1. Fake out the characters
  2. After the characters were already onto the simulations
  3. And, fake out the audience

In other words, it seemed to me that the writers were too clever by half.
I can imagine the writers sitting around a table or on a Zoom enjoying the idea of having a fake-out within a fake-out. But then somebody should have put the kibosh on it because it's just confusing.

IDK.

Maybe it's just grumpy old shapeshifter who's confused and annoyed by it.
Everyone else here seemed to like it.
But, then again, there aren't very many here.👀

Can't say I'm a fan either.

Also, during that bit when we started to realise that they never got off the planet, and Fake Charley being as obnoxious as real Charley, I had a sudden inspiration: what if Charley was always fake? What if she was always a simulation planted by the Kaylons, and the anti-Kaylon sentiment was just a red herring? I was deeply wishing for this, only to be disappointed.

I'm not feeling Season 3, at all.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
38 minutes ago, arjumand said:

I'm not feeling Season 3, at all

Have you seen this episode 3.4 "Gently Falling Rain" yet? 
IMO it was much better and more like the earlier seasons.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Have you seen this episode 3.4 "Gently Falling Rain" yet? 
IMO it was much better and more like the earlier seasons.

Just watched it! Will discuss in the episode thread!

• Like 1
On 6/19/2022 at 12:14 PM, SmithW6079 said:

My own mortality is on my mind these days the older I get, and it makes me melancholy to think of all I'll never see and learn.

For though my life's been good to me, there's still so much to do.
So many things my mind has never known.

I'm also on this team. I can certainly see the downsides, and this and many other sci-fi/fantasy shows have explored plenty of them, and presumably any truly utopian version of immortality would incorporate the option to let your consciousness rest someday if you truly grow bored/tired/jaded by existence, but yeah - thinking about how wildly different the world was even a hundred years ago and that, barring swift advances in medical technology, I won't be around to see how different is a hundred years from now, does make me wistful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why does every show always assume that immortality would leave people bored, and unmotivated? We don’t know that. We just tell ourselves that because it makes us feel better about the fact that we actually have to die. Everyone who’s ever written about immortality is in fact mortal. It’s a very skewed sample. I for one I don’t know about being immortal because I don’t think I’d like being in the world all by myself without anyone I had grown up with, but I certainly would love to live twice as long.

Also, what’s so terrible about being unmotivated? Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad thing to take 20 years off and just read books and play. To take an extended vacation. I don’t want to learn to play instruments or write plays or do things that motivate me because time is running out I’ve wanted to do them, since I was a child, and had no sense of mortality at all. Literally zero. Nobody I knew had ever died, including a pet, and yet, at the age of three, I wrote for my mother a little book. And I think it would be fun to try out different careers. Assuming that immortality meant our bodies stopped aging too. Would it get boring after hundreds of years? Maybe. Maybe not. We should admit we know NOTHING about how it would  feel. Somewhere a highly evolved ant is writing a show justifying why it would  be terrible to live for decades. 

I, too, was reminded of TOS shore leave and other episodes in which aliens did things to human beings to see how they would ethically respond. while I was glad that wasn’t the case. I also was a little bored. And not very satisfied by the ending.

Why did Dinal use very human and 21st century  idioms like “guilty as charged” ?

she also kind of gave them flirty eyes. It was odd. 

anyone else feel like it took them way too long to notice that the people they encountered didn’t react to them as they were? The HS kids responded to the dialogue but not to the fact that they were adults who looked weird. Same for plane. So it was OBVIOUSLY a simulation. I was sure Bortus was going to end up knowing the dead people but no. I was surprised they just destroyed the machine. I was expecting a big reveal like the original TOS one where the woman keeps saying “I am for you” and it was some kind of planetary defense left in eternity …

why did rhe fake humans  scan as real?

this is a disappointing season so far. 

Edited by lucindabelle