Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E02: Summer Dress

• Start Topic

It’s Belly’s first day as a debutante, and a day of shopping and tea parties make her wonder if she made the right choice when she checked yes on Susannah’s invitation. But when Cam shows up, things turn around for Belly. Her summer of firsts is just getting started. Meanwhile, Steven’s having his own summer of romance, and Laurel is intrigued by a fellow author.

Original airdate 6/17/22

I'm interested in how they handle the class issues with this deb thing - they're simultaneously making it an issue AND a non-issue, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially with the new boy from the working class.

I won an award in high school that involved a luncheon with other winners from around the state. My mom and I were at a table of very nice girls and their moms and everybody was friendly and welcoming, and then the conversation turned to ice cream socials and hunt club and we both sat there blinking. I did not feel left out or that they were being rude- it was more amazement that those things actually existed outside of books. I was from a well off community, so I knew lots of people with money and exotic vacations and cars on their 16th birthday, but not generational wealth (where you have a whole separate social circle of people who have summered together for four generations).

Belly is an interesting character because she's not of that class, but has been exposed to it tangentially her whole life. Now that she's making a move to operate within it, will she exclude the new boyfriend?

• Love 2

I like the actress playing Belly. I'm glad she told them off, for trying to sabotage her date. 

I had deja vu, with the debutante tea scene. I wonder if I saw a clip before, and it just didn't register. 

• Like 1

I love their kitchen.

All the boys in the house are super douches. Especially Conrad. He was getting drunk on white wine? Is he a suburban mom?

If this doesn't get better quick I may be having to drop out of this one.