Type keyword(s) to search

The Cult of Bob

Shocked he had no topic yet, given how he typically overshadows the entire show, arguably even more than Jillian ever did (the Losers always want to be on Team Bob and tend to get hysterical if taken away from him),

• Love 2

But he's not going to be on the show proper this season. He's going to be doing "Last Chance Kitchen" play-back-in coaching, which I believe is going to be on the web only. It's in the media thread.

• Love 1

Web only??  I wouldn't think that would pay well.

Other than Dolvett, I really liked Anna Kournikova, of all the coaches they tried.
I'll probably watch again this season, but it isn't must-see tv for me any more.

• Love 1

I cannot see her playing Blanche either. I like the show the first few seasons, but after a while, the acting and story lines, imo, were bad, bad, bad.

Arguably Sue Ann Nivens WAS Blanche, which according to White was pretty much the reason they wound up switching (Rue's character on Maude was very similar to Rose, apparently, although I don't really recall enough Maude to confirm that).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I cannot see her playing Blanche either. I like the show the first few seasons, but after a while, the acting and story lines, imo, were bad, bad, bad.

Yea it did have some recycling of story lines at times. Didn't mind the acting too much though.

The skull socks?  I was disappointed though, that he wasn't wearing his liederhosen.

Unless I missed it, we didn't see any of the work his team did this week, but from the previews it looks like we will next week.

Since this is, I think, Bob related, let me ask this here.

I remember that he's into something called cross-training, that some think of as a cult, or so I remember reading.
Is Planet Fitness, where they're sending all of them, the same thing?

I think you are thinking of Cross Fit. I'm not sure if they will be doing that at Planet Fitness. Chris Powell & his wife are into Cross Fit too, & on the last episode he mentioned the guy the episode was about was "skipping his Cross Fit sessions".

• Love 1

Yeah Bob is a CrossFit freak... err fan. CrossFit is an entity in itself & not part of Planet Fitness. Planet Fitness sells themselves as a judgement free zone with a lunk alarm. Cross Fit is highly competitive & involves some major lifting. Honestly as heavy as these folks are they have no business doing Cross Fit.

• Love 2

Ha! I think Bob definitely has his own odd style, but I have a friend who is a Cross Fit guy & he's now wearing knee socks when working out. He usually has on compression shorts under loose shorts but always with the knee socks. Occasionally he wears a head band. I guess that's a thing? I don't discuss it with him much because he is truly a CrossFit addict & gets really pushy about it, thinking it will cure all life's ills.

• Love 3

I too, have a friend who is a cross-fit nut.  She wears knee socks too.  She also injured herself rather seriously while doing cross-fit, which I hear is quite common.  I don't bring up cross-fit with her because I just don't think it's for everyone, or even most people.

I just watched the entire last season of TBL and I don't mind Bob at all.  Jillian on the other hand seems to be a piece of work.  Getting caught giving her team caffeine supplements against doctor's orders!  What a wack job!  I don't know anything and even I knew that was awful.

And yet the 200 mg of caffeine in those pills was way, way less than what was in the unlimited amounts of coffee the producers were telling contestants they could drink.

Still, Jillian shouldn't have done so without asking, that was the problem.

If I was headed to that ranch, I think I'd have to have an entire piece of luggage just packed with mint green tea.

To make this Bob-related, some people think he doesn't scream at contestants. I seem to remember one season where he not only screamed at one contestant, (an African American woman) he cursed her out while she was on the treadmill or elliptical. I felt bad for her. I wish I could remember what her name was.

• Love 1

From Bob's August 2013 newsletter (the most recent one on his website, mytrainerbob.com):

It’s been a busy summer! I’ve been filming season 15 of The Biggest Loser working with an amazing group of contestants, I can’t wait for you all to see the transformations coming this fall on NBC! Along with the contestants, I’ve even been training the other coaches! I put Jillian through a CrossFit #wod and even Alison Sweeney got down and dirty with a couple crazy #wods. It’s been really fun!

WOD = workout of the day. (I had to Google it.)

Bob posted this Season 1 photo to his Facebook page:

10675759_10152402690240205_6529113273430

OMG! I just found this pic from Season 1 of The Biggest Loser. I can't believe that was 10 years ago! Notice the white band on my arm because they wanted me to cover a tattoo. HAHA! I remember Jillian Michaels trying to teach me to stand like her. I miss the good old days. There is NO ONE like her! I just look so DORKY!! #noswag #notattoos #nogoldteeth #beforecrossfit
Edited by editorgrrl
OMG! I just found this pic from Season 1 of The Biggest Loser. I can't believe that was 10 years ago! Notice the white band on my arm because they wanted me to cover a tattoo. HAHA! I remember Jillian Michaels trying to teach me to stand like her. I miss the good old days. There is NO ONE like her! I just look so DORKY!! #noswag #notattoos #nogoldteeth #beforecrossfit

10675759_10152402690240205_6529113273430

Sheesh, he's so deeply into the "CrossFit" cult that he's dividing up his life into "CrossFit" and "Before CrossFit."

The skull socks?  I was disappointed though, that he wasn't wearing his liederhosen.

Unless I missed it, we didn't see any of the work his team did this week, but from the previews it looks like we will next week.

Since this is, I think, Bob related, let me ask this here.

I remember that he's into something called cross-training, that some think of as a cult, or so I remember reading.

Is Planet Fitness, where they're sending all of them, the same thing?

I'll help you out with Planet Fitness.   It's a gym that charges very low monthly rates-Around $10.00.   The low rates, and marketing ploy of encouraging "average" people while discriminating against body builders is what makes them "different".   IMO, the equipment is poorly maintained, and I'd much rather have  body building "lunkheads" around for inspiration than the average, ie overweight person who lies on the equipment for inordinate amounts of time.    PC has spread to the fitness industry, and it ain't pretty.

So, Bob was uncool before he was all tatted up?   Nothing says cooler to my near sighted eyes than a person who looks gangrenous from a short distance.  

Better Crossfit than unfit, I guess.      They do get into their routine more than I could bear. 

• Love 3

I know, that's why I don't want Woody to win, because Bob, who trained him for 1 week, will claim the win.

Dolvett didn't look happy to see him, and I can see why none of the trainers would.

Yes, it will magically be his victory, instead of the lady who trained him 14 times longer.
  • Love 3

Am I misremembering, or did Bob almost always lose to Jillian?   Why is there a cult of Bob?    Because he's a loser and people identify with him, or feel sorry for him being such a big loser and want to make him feel all better?

No, thanks.   The Gladiator lady has been more than competent,  Not Jake is level headed and cute and should get better if they keep him on, and Dolvett's too pretty to whistle.    Ain't no need for Bob and his loser juice now.    Hobbit looking ass.

• Love 1

Am I misremembering, or did Bob almost always lose to Jillian?   Why is there a cult of Bob?    Because he's a loser and people identify with him, or feel sorry for him being such a big loser and want to make him feel all better?

Because he's a braggart who promotes himself, and because despite losing almost always, he became his trainees "Daddy" and they all seemed to love him for it.

• Love 1

And there you have the reason Bob always lost to Jillian: he does NOT GET FAT PEOPLE. At all. He just doesn't get it. Look at him, he has been thin his entire life. Never had to work for it, ever. He is a strict vegan who eats locally produced food and keeps nothing in his fridge because he can shop every day for everything he makes. His platitudes come easily, as does his ability to "place product," unlike Jillian, who for all her faults at least understood why fat people are fat (she was an overweight kid herself). Bob does not respect people unless they bust their asses in a way that he does understand, which is typical of CrossFit people. The world of CrossFit does not respect the world of marathoning, for example. Bob tends to make pet projects of certain contestants, particularly people who enjoy the type of heavy lifting and circuit training of CrossFit. 

This is all just my personal opinion, of course, but I have been a certified personal trainer for 8 years and believe me there are a lot of Bobs running around in this industry. They see fat people as gross and something to be "fixed." I prefer trainers who have struggled with their weight at some point, aren't natural athletes, but have come to find that exercise doesn't just make them look good, but FEEL good about their bodies, whatever they look like at the moment. That is the attitude that leads to lasting change, and Bob Harper does not have it. 

• Love 13
Look at him, he has been thin his entire life. Never had to work for it, ever. He is a strict vegan who eats locally produced food and keeps nothing in his fridge because he can shop every day for everything he makes.

isn't eating healthy and exercising "working for it"? He makes the choices that will have a positive impact on his body, just as fat people make the choice to eat the pizza. Bob may have been insensitive in that clip, but he's not wrong. The first episode of this season was filled to the brim with fat people tears, and it was nauseating -- and I say that as a fat person who's been fat his entire life and who has chosen to eat a lot of pizza.  

I don't subscribe to the "If you have been X, you can't understand X" school of thought because even in a community of like people, everyone's experiences are different. Not having the same exact experience as someone else doesn't mean you can't help them. 

Edited by SmithW6079

My opinion on the matter is, people who "get" the plight of the chronically overweight would understand that mocking them ("waaah waaah I want pizza, waah waah I want brownies") is hurtful and unnecessary.  Especially those who make millions of dollars off of overweight people and who aren't really therapists but play one on TV.

• Love 10

Many smart and well read people know how to counsel others in basic ways.  You don't need a degree in psychology to help overweight people.  I know this because it is my field.  Serious problems are better left to professionals, of course.  

It is really a matter of making a choice to think differently.  Yes, really.  Your history is not going to change or disappear;  the trick is to say, that was then and this is now.  I have control to create my life differently and it is about choices in thought.  I am not implying it is easy but it is the road to the solution. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

"Waah waah I want tattoos." Nice going Bob. Isn't there a saying about biting the hands that feed you? PS Bob, that wasn't even funny, which might have redeemed you a little.

I thought it was genius for him to move into the host role here, because that could be a skill he could use on other venues, like becoming the Ryan Seacrest for reality personal makeover shows. I miss Allison.

• Love 5