Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E03: Auditions 3

• Start Topic

Tonight started off well; I really enjoyed the song/impressions. That was fun. The guys were cute, too. 😉

I decided the knife throwers were a good time to get some dinner.

Ventriloquist was good. Don't care to hear about Sophia's grand skills as a ventriquolist, or however she mispronounces it, every time one comes on, though.

I put a little too much pepper on my dinner. The Ragdolls would have been a good time to go get some water. (Don't care if it was a prank on Simon; it was dumb.)

OMG she's 13! Like that's unusual on this show? Other than being yet another singer, I don't really have a problem with her getting the GB.

Wait, why did Howie disappear halfway through?

Ugh with the slo-mo shots during the big group dance. And Terry and the judges screaming the whole time. Shut up.
I don't know about "perfection," since we spent half the performance watching the judges' gaping mouths, but I'll admit that last move was pretty neat.

Cracking up at the sweet-little-girl smile in between the screamo music. (Not a fan of the music, though, and have no need to see her again.)

I liked the deaf comic. 

12 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Wtf?????

And why are they cheering????

Wrong...just wrong

That could be a response to multiple acts, I think.

• Love 3

Loved the ventriloquist.  The impressionist duo was also good.  The comic was ok but her timing and delivery need some polish.   The screaming...why?  Just STFU.   So the GB was because she 13 and from Poland?  Um, ok.  She was fine but really they couldn't dig up a local kid singer to manufacture a story around?  I want to hear you without the music.   Oooh, so suspenseful because we don't know if you'll pull an Ashley Simpson and have all your performance come from a 'backing track'.   Except, Simon totally already knew how they'd sound.   I'm guessing they auditioned a capella.   They've been at this 17 years; pet rocks have figured out their tricks by now.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Didn’t we see the “shy, sweet UK girl who *SURPRISE!!!!* sings metal/hard rock music” a season or two ago? I spent the whole performance both rolling my eyes and very concerned about her vocal cords. 

• Love 5

As I was checking underneath the couch cushions for hidden microphones, I noticed that a lot of the AGT crew were still wearing masks - it's time to stop living in fear ❤️. Anyway, the episode continues the downward spiral from last week - I can see how patience for this show ends up unravelling to zero. I spent the past few days re-reading all of my old posts from the past few years and most of them sound psychotic, so I will try and avoid doing that, though they were probably like that because I hated the show so much.

//

The Brown Brothers - They begin with saying they are veterans, though few of them ever go into detail, so for all you know they sorted mail in an air conditioned room, though as someone who wears a uniform covered in fraudulent medals to get restaurant discounts, I know the mail room is a one person job. Anyway, the act was alright, but I don't see where they can take this other than basically repeating it. The Simon imitation was funny for once. I guess their last name being a similar hue made it so they could safely imitate Terry without being cancelled.

Max Ostler - It seemed like terribly mismanaged production planning to have The Brown Brothers sing Tiny Dancer a good 10 minutes before he came out. Well, it was a dancing act, which usually implies boring television unless it's a girl because then I can pretend to cry and cite ballets I've never actually seen in hopes of getting a kiss. Anyways, I don't think any solo dancers from this show have ever done well in terms of having their own show, so at least going off of what he said, it seemed like he is just trying to get the attention of choreographers in that industry instead of trying to carve out his own thing, which is a way better idea than how most people try and go about it, even though most acts really don't have any practical use in the existing entertainment industry. It speaks volumes about his passion when you pretty much know he isn't doing this for girls, which despite being a sarcastic remark is probably a fairly decent reason as to why men do anything.

Blade to Blade - These two painted a beautiful picture of what gang violence could look like if the second amendment were removed. Anyway, it seemed like they got at least double the time of most acts, which is fine since it was probably the only one with interest. The men appeared to be wearing chroma key suits as they immediately disappeared from memory as soon as the woman entered the shot. Some of the knives falling to the floor made it look more real instead of the usual seeming perfection that a lot of danger acts have, so there was a reason to care just a little. The irony of the crowd squeamish over the knives when most of the male audience is proud about being circumcized to the point of numbness. It was a good act, especially when Simon had knives thrown past his face, obviously worried that the brothers weren't plastic surgeons wanting to do unnecessary work. Howie's remark about the bike was rich.

Jack Williams - He says he was inspired by Darci Lynne, which created some rapport, as I also imitate teenage girls (mostly in appearance, to much ridicule). There must be some sort of market for this, as hard as it is to believe since Darci Lynne is on tour and not the usual AGT winner tour of being moved around to different homeless shelters, but nonetheless it seems like a very niche thing to try and break into. This type of comedy seems like the structure is too limited to really come up with anything original, so it seems like anyone who has done it on this show is retreading the same routine over and over.

Duo Ragdolls - I thought it was the Bellas right when they started talking, only because of formerly watching (and almost always suffering through) wrestling for many years, though thankfully I am now free from its clutches. I have a hard time imagining anyone actually knows who they are since wrestling has never been more irrelevant and socially frowned upon to like. There's always this trope of wrestlers pretending to be full of hate and fighting for real, but being 100% serious, these two were nearly universally agreed to have no skill and all they did was shake their ass when getting in the ring, so this act was just embarrassing.

Sara James - I had no idea a Billie Eilish song could be sung with emotion, mainly because the original artist appears to have had her brain fried by antidepressants. I might laugh at that if I didn't recently find out pills were being hidden in my omelettes, but singers are nearly universally boring, so there's really nothing to say. Simon (I think) hit the golden buzzer - I don't even know if he still has a record label, since that seems like an industry on life support.

Oleksandr Yenivatov - Heidi remarks that the theater may be built on an old hospital, though the real thing I find frightening is that there once was a time where the life saving medical care of mashing my genitals into a pulp to better imitate a female anime character simply did not exist. I really do wonder what my Grandfather would've done in that predicament other than perhaps eat real food that wasn't sprayed in chemicals and talk to people not on the internet. Anyway, the act itself was OK, but the presentation was really slow and you could tell the audience was getting fed up, despite the average American bending over to pick up the morning paper being a multi-step coordinated process. Apparently Simon takes his X back after the guy says he's from Ukraine - the news must be exaggerating the situation if my girlfriend (who I know in my heart is a group of teen boys laughing at me) is over there and the infrastructure needed to receive my weekly payments for the in-person meeting that is not happening is still operational.

Urbancrew - I had no idea Asian men could be in a group that wasn't BTS, but it was alright anyways. For as much as the foreign acts keep parroting the American Dream thing, isn't it kind of obvious that such a thing is dead? I'd be interested to know from the Americans in this thread if they also think the US is in steep decline. These dance acts are pretty much all the same, so I don't think there's anything to say. It's another example of wondering how you would turn this into an hour long show, though you also wonder if any of the other dance acts who have been on here have done such a thing, since it's hard to imagine any of them retaining an audience. Some of those backflips were reminiscent of how I reacted when finally landing a single Mother on Match.com, of course immediately overcome with shame.

Harper Akudama - I was in a metal mood today, probably due to not having showered all week, but I thought it was a good performance. Unfortunately it will be a case of it being a one time novelty and there probably won't be any way to make it seem exciting. Perhaps being yelled at to get an effing job in that demonic voice may actually get me to act, albeit for a single afternoon and then I'd throw all of my route's papers into the ditch and call it a day.

Hayden Kristal - Her last name reminds me of my startup where I sell buffed stones to people claiming they cure cancer. I can't believe I have my own business under a fake name and nonexistent address so nobody knows where to violently demand a refund. After finally just ceasing clapping from last week's Japanese comedienne's looks, this act is purely dependent on the quality of the material for a reaction and it did not deliver. I guess the blogger I'm reading the performer list off of looked her up and she uses they/them pronouns, which made me do the sensible thing and hurl offenses at her from the safety of a blank account. After not doing such a thing, I just sat with a bored look since none of the jokes landed, even though I can give mild praise for how it was mostly free of the usual comedienne delivery of super obvious punchlines and yelling, but it wasn't good overall. Given her waistline, her involvement with the Cocoa Foundation was of little surprise.

NFL Players Choir - It's a little hard to believe that any of them could be the one to lean on when they're all probably equally concussed from years of diving on their heads. This is another one of those songs that is borderline public domain, so again, no reason to care at all. If I wanted to watch the show twice (or once for that matter) I'd like to go back and compare the level of applause of them saying they played football to the first act that said they were in the navy. It's funny that the average American gets more emotional over his favorite sports team than about the economy imploding around him - a reality all but invisible so long as the Costco hot dog and soda combo still costs $1.50. It's obvious there's nothing to say about the actual act.

///

I really thought I'd cram more real commentary in, but I don't actually care about the acts, so I won't bother next time.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Brown Brothers - I thought 'brown brothas' was a rather rude way of addressing the football choir, but it turns out that was for a different act. Both of these guys are autistic and former marines, which makes it sound like they deserve some kind of decoration for not committing any friendly fire out of confusion. You'd think combat would be the worst career path for people who hate loud noises, in which case a Chayce Beckham concert would be a perfect refuge due to lack of applause. Anyway, it was a novel act that will probably get tiresome next time because the surprise is gone. One of them said that it was an unpredictable act to do because of the different possible combinations, but they already have every song memorized and impression rehearsed, and perform in such a way that gives plenty of time to plan it out.

Max Ostler - Showing my age, but I assume ballet dancing is still the sport that straight men take up to get girls? He said his dream is to become the most famous choreographer, which may be a little obsolete considering TikTok is labelled a dance platform despite most of the moves being finger-pointing at blocks of text on the screen. The dancing was good, but I probably owe it to being entertained with various media nearly 24/7 that gets me numb if multiple things aren't happening at once. Considering that California is always on fire, I'll assume pyrotechnics were supposed to go off at some point. If Max himself says his dream isn't Vegas, I don't see how anyone is supposed to rally for him to headline a show there. This assumes that anyone besides paid audience members actually watch this thing.

Blade to Blade - It took the audience a while to get into the act because Americans don't cook their own meals, opting for takeaway on nearly every occasion. They don't know what knives are for aside from threatening one another over a parking spot. This was probably the best act of the night, as danger acts usually are. The presentation wasn't obnoxious, which is rather common since they can overly lean into the circus pageantry and become corny. Of course Simon stands in between the airborne blades to show how dangerous the show can be, though when the guy from AGT Extreme was paralyzed, he was probably out with the flu. The brothers fighting over a girl finally made sense, although her not being online and most likely an Indian man catfishing them was quite the twist. Stupidity aside, they were quite exciting and the last non-Simon trick with one of them upside down was very well done.

Jack Williams - Like many others, he's having conversations with an inanimate object just like the smartphone that still spies on its owner when completely turned off. I've always hated ventriloquist acts because the threshold for humor is pretty low, it's usually just the puppeteer and puppet arguing with each other with a 'clever' twist of the puppet outsmarting the handler or some tired allusion to the puppet having a hand up its ass. Throwing his voice was a decent trick, though.

Duo Ragdolls - Trying to embrace the fact I'm still living in my bedroom from infancy with rubber duck wallpaper everywhere, I thought those giant teddy bears looked soft as hell, no kizzy. What's even more embarrassing was intuiting that these women were likely to be the Bella Twins by their voices, in addition to the act sucking and likely being a setup. WWE wrestling was cool over 20 years ago and has become humiliating to be associated with for at least a decade, and that's being generous. Nobody knows who the Bellas are because wrestling is literally one of those things people will think you are on the spectrum for watching, that's how uncool it is. I was tied to watching WWE by Stockholm syndrome for far too long because a great deal of 'fans' spend ample time bitching about it online and the mockery is more fun than the actual show. Anyway, this act was drawn out garbage with cheering sound effects likely edited in during post-production.

Sara James - She looks way older than 13, which may be the Billie Eilish aging effect taking hold just by covering one of her songs, as Billie looks 30 at minimum. Great voice with a lot of potential (read: she's not ugly like many singers on here are), so dare I say she could be a somewhat marketable act after the show ends. Keeping in line with talent show tradition, I still won't seek out her music on purpose, despite not maturing mentally past middle school and thus being likely moved to tears from songs about 'that boy' not texting her back or whatever the hell.

Oleksandr Yenivatov - Let's continue the trend of America's Got Talent hosting almost exclusively foreign acts. It's ironic that every country is given easy access to move to the U.S. except for Canada, where you have to be a doctor to get in. I'd complain about high standards if American doctors didn't merely prescribe 500 Vicodin for the common cold and shoo their patient away. This was another contortion act, which is hard to stretch into a full performance, even for them. There's too much setup + shock and awe reactions between moves that 90 seconds barely shows anything. It's also fairly likely that he doesn't have many other tricks to do. I won't rule out that him spreading his legs so much was an allegory for men willing to have sex with any woman with a heartbeat, as I was coincidentally in the midst of donating my full savings to his assistant despite the full costume makeup that obscured her features and having her back turned for most of the set.

Urbancrew - I'll refrain from any height jokes, as I probably stand eye to eye with most Filipinas, never mind the men. These guys were pretty good, with some moves like the forward roll onto the stage floor and one guy jumping backwards over two teammates. This act relied so much on one move that "go backflip" was probably taken as a challenge if not coming from an immigration officer, (apparently, most of them don't consider that word a slur), but it wasn't repetitive in a bad way. However, that may prove different if they can't vary it up next time. There's also too much going on, which isn't really possible to avoid when the team has like 20 guys on it.

Harper Akudama - She's 10 years old, just like the average age of a metal fan, as the only adult that actually sounds cool singing about fire and death is Bruce Springsteen. A pathetic callback to still watching this tripe in 2013, I remember there was another girl singing death metal and most of the point was shocking the audience despite them having to see it week after week. I've watched many videos about singing (implementation is another matter) and with my limited knowledge, these growling vocals are supposedly done with vocal fry and a low larynx with some other techniques. It's not like someone will damage their voice by doing it correctly or is so hardcore they'll destroy their throat to sound cool. I don't even listen to this genre and thought her voice sounded very under-powered, thus adding to the idea that making the plants make even more exaggerated faces than usual is the backbone of the act.

Hayden Kristal - To respect her deafness, I'd hold up a giant cue card telling her it was terrible. There was a lot of milking of every joke, which is another hallmark of female comedians. Half the routine is just saying "it's crazy" and such after a punchline fails to land. She's yet another comedian that makes all of their material about an affliction, which must land with an audience (North America in general) that loves to self-diagnose themselves with conditions that didn't exist in the DSM 15 years ago. I can't wait to hear the next set about ordering a meal in the drive thru and being handed an entire party platter or wedding cake or something else incredibly transparent.

NFL Players Choir – Not sure if that's actually their name, but the constant source of wrong information known as mjsbigblog has it written out this way. I'd imagine using the word NFL would require licensing from a 90 year old billionaire stakeholder who needs even more money. A more fitting name would be Boys II Men II (which is another copyright issue of its own), though Boys 2 Men 2 Girls is more likely these days.
As much as I want to seduce a woman to the R&B stylings of men taller, wealthier, and more successful than myself, this wasn't much of a closer. I didn't know who any of them were, though I assume the fame factor was supposed to give it more meaning. Ironically, the people more likely to remember the names and stats of hundreds of football players from years gone by are the men physically morphed into their recliners. The vocals weren't anything special to me; the backstory was more interesting than the actual performance. And how rare is that, a setup that doesn't involve somebody falling ill. The song choice being cliche didn't help, which is a trait that describes a lot of choirs on this show. They always have to be uplifting and squeaky clean, if not downright preachy. Let's suppose they aren't auditioning as a victory lap in their already prosperous careers - ten or more men competing for the heavily taxed million dollar prize doesn't exactly disprove the notion that pro athletes squander their money on "big ass chains" and other nonsense.

There's a weightlifting method called "reverse pyramid" where you do the most reps of a weight on your first set, and then titrate to less reps as you become more fatigued. That's what this season feels like, except we're getting much worse over time despite the first episode already starting off mediocre. With that said, same time next week?

Edited by Neet
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Didn’t we see the “shy, sweet UK girl who *SURPRISE!!!!* sings metal/hard rock music” a season or two ago? I spent the whole performance both rolling my eyes and very concerned about her vocal cords. 

We've seen it a few times. With young girls, with old men. Mildly entertaining for 10 seconds and then boring. 

• Like 2

My 2 pennies:

• Brown Brothers: pretty entertaining & talented, I don't see them going too far. 
  • Max the Dancer: I didn't like dance before, I don't like it now. 
  • Knife throwers: I usually find knife throwing boring, but this is one of the better incarnations I've seen. 
  • Ventriloquist: meh.
  • Duo Ragdolls: Dumb. The wrestling part was mildly entertaining. 
  • Sara James: good voice, of course she's been on every other talent show before. Possible top 10, they eat this stuff up. 
  • Spooky contortionist: Simon was right the first time. They seem nice, but the act was a snooze. 
  • Urbancrew: we've seen this before, but they were good. Will make the semi-finals at least. 
  • Metal girl: see my comment above. It's been done. 
  • Deaf comedian: not really funny. Sob story will ensure she'll go far. 
  • NFL Choir: mediocre. 
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

There was one who was maybe 6 or so (with her brother playing an instrument (drums? I forget) who was a few years older), with proud dad standing in the wings (I don't think they were British, though). Of course there was the OG, Janis-Joplin-reincarnated-as-a-painfully-shy-11-year-old. At least she wasn't literally screaming.

(edited)
8 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

This is another one of those songs that is borderline public domain

"Lean on Me" was playing in my car as I was getting home. Keb' Mo' version is much better.

(*I wanted to make that possessive but his name ends in an apostrophe and I got confused as to what to do with that.)

7 hours ago, Neet said:

NFL Players Choir

AGT Facebook page just says "Players Choir."

Edited by ams1001
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

There was one who was maybe 6 or so (with her brother playing an instrument (drums? I forget) who was a few years older), with proud dad standing in the wings (I don't think they were British, though). Of course there was the OG, Janis-Joplin-reincarnated-as-a-painfully-shy-11-year-old. At least she wasn't literally screaming.

Yeah, the "zombie" girl. 

Also, there was an elderly man who sang "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor." 

The thing with the "surprise" acts is that they rarely have the talent to go further. Once the surprise is over, there's nothing there. If any adult aged 18-55 came and did the same thing, they would be Xed off the stage. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ketchuplover said:

So long AGT thanx for the mostly positive memories

I'd love to know what constitutes a positive memory from this show, since every year is nearly identical. I think 2011 was the only one I liked, not surprisingly the first season I watched.

• LOL 1

I liked the stand-up comic more than some of the posters here.

For whatever reason, the knife/axe throwing act, although very good, didn't give me that "someone's going to get hurt" fear/threat reaction you sometimes get from those acts, though they did it well and their practice mattered.

I only knew that the Bella sisters had a podcast.  The ending to their bit had a "Masked Singer" vibe, which (checks ratings) OK, that explains that.

I wonder how often Howie will eventually say "You're not just talented for ...,, you're talented for anyone."  They're setting that up a lot.

The NFL as a feel-good choir was a twist I wouldn't have seen coming, so well done there!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Yes, and she was also horrible...

8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Screaming...or maybe screeching was all I heard from her.

• Like 1

Why is is that every time, EVERYTIME! a dance crew auditions, there’s a part in the choreo where a dancer does backhand springs across the stage in front of the crew. It’s like it’s a prerequisite! 

That and the young kid who’s “OMG SO CUUUTTE!!!!” who has a short solo, complete with badass facial expression. I’m tired of that too but fortunately it’s a little less common. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

A lot of the things I wanted to post about AGT have already been posted.  I guess we are thinking the same thing about this season....it sucks!  I'm not going to write a novel but rather short and to the point.  Besides, it's 2:30 AM and I might end up typing something like, diabibiekxakhgaf!

.  Brown Brothers - This was my favorite performance of the night.  I haven't seen anyhting like this on this show before.  Coming out with different impressions but basically the same routine in the next round might not be enough to advance them.

.  Max the Dancer - I'll be honest here, when I heard he was dancing, I started playing a game on my phone.

.  Knife Throwers - I usually like this type of act, but I was bored.  Maybe it was their presentation.

.  Ventriloquist - I thought he was pretty good, but I agree, the routines are becoming rehashed and after awhile it's not fun anymore.

.  Sara James - At least the show didn't try that lame "someone from audience gets Golden Buzzer" crap again!  She was good, although I wouldn't know a Billie Eilish anyway.  I wonder what is the criteria for the GB?

.  Contortionist - Eh, I think half way through I reached for my phone again.

.  Urbancrew - There is a reason dance groups have never won the main AGT show.  They were very entertaining but what else can they do to up their game?

.  Metal Girl - Horrible!  That's why they should not let kids on this show.  The judges will never be honest with their critques when the contestant is a kid.  Fans of this grunge rock genre say this girl has talent.  So a contestant that is singing out of tune will get called out by the judges, but a screaming kid won't?  Ridiculous!

.  Deaf Comedian - Her jokes weren't funny.  I think she gets cut early.

.  NFL Choir - They were ok.  Just okay!  Look, they have all "T's crossed and the I's dotted", so they'll probably go to the finals.

I didn't include the Bella Sisters because I believe they were there as a prank not an actual act.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, rr2911 said:

.  Brown Brothers - This was my favorite performance of the night.  I haven't seen anyhting like this on this show before.  Coming out with different impressions but basically the same routine in the next round might not be enough to advance them.

Yep, they'll get criticized for doing the same thing and not stepping it up, while

.  Sara James

.  Urbancrew 

.  NFL Choir

will all simply do a different song/dance to different music and be lavishly praised and promoted to the next round.

.  Sara James - At least the show didn't try that lame "someone from audience gets Golden Buzzer" crap again!  She was good, although I wouldn't know a Billie Eilish anyway.  I wonder what is the criteria for the GB?

I know exactly one Billie Eilish song. Pretty sure the criteria is whoever the producers picked for that week.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

What can Brown do for me?  Make it to the finals.  Obvious talent.  Smart choices.  Of course, this is the kiss of death for an AGT act.

Just when I thought the worst GB evah could not be topped, they go and put another one in the conversation.  I have to admit, there is a talent to managing such a feat.

The Blades were boring beyond belief, except for wondering if any jidge would have the stones to declare the act a no-go for having multiple blades fail to stick in the manner they dismiss jugglers who drop apparatus.  There could not have been more than 6 feet from where those blades were released and the targeted walls.  Except for being upside down, I would have no problem at least hitting the target.  I also stared down the "scar."  As fake as Simon's acting out fear.

Howie's riding a bike comment was truly hilarious.  Of course, AGT had to edit in a second airing of it as they milk anything that is actually good.

I didn't like the comedienne and I did not like her dress.  Her humor I cannot bless.  The whole thing was...a bloody mess.

I am always a little surprised when we get an anomalous or confused reaction from the crowd.   When the sheep are not being led by the proverbial hand, they move all about the pasture.  This ep, the contortion love story brought one of these moments about.  There was a great moment when a solitary person rose, using the patented "Howie looking confusedhopingforaffirmation" maneuver.  Nobody joined her.  Niiiice. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

If you have to have the requistite "same job" choir, I prefer nurses to NFL athletes for whom a 1 million dollar prize divided is about what they drop on dinner one night. At least if the nurses had won, they could make a mortgage or rent payment or two. 

As a music teacher, I actually didn't hate Metal girl-it is just as reasonable for a kid that age to be into metal or emo as for one to be into Opera-and it's less likely to damage the vocal cords and more likely to be "just for fun". I would be amazed if she made the cuts for the live shows, though. 

Edited by dmmetler