Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of Housewives Past: Jill Zarin, Alex, and the Rest

• Start Topic

A D-lister who, I believe, co-starred as the affable best friend on Blossom about 10,000 years ago.

Celebrity Wife Swap has a way of snapping up some of the most irrelevant "celebrities" to ever celebrity.  Zarin would be case in point.  Anyone who doesn't watch RH will have absolutely no freaking clue who in the world Jill Zarin is nor her "fabulous crowd" she runs with.

Of course, I'll be setting up the DVR momentarily so I don't miss a snarkalicious drop of this episode.

Maybe they read Jill's book. ROFLMAO

Thanks for the info. I'm too old for Blossom, but I get the gist. I can already hear Jill's voice in my head..........Oh Bawby...

(edited)

Jill thought that the little spat She and B had would make great tv so she exaggerated it. To me that explains why she wouldn't make up with B at first, she wanted to drag it out. By the time she was ready B was done with her and had more important things happening and knew that the fight was never that big. So it all blew up in Jill's face.

Yes. 

Leroux is also correct. Jill wanted her and Bethenny to be the next Laverne and Shirley (I believe she even said something specifically to that effect).

She saw how the audience liked their friendship and thought it would be great dramatic fodder if she and Bethenny had a fight and then made up at the end of the season. 

So, when Bethenny left her a voice mail telling her that she needed a hobby because of all of the pestering she was doing to the Executives at NBC about all of the publicity B, was getting, Jill saved the message for four months so that she could play it on the show. The only thing is we don't hear the full message because Jill hits stop right after Bethenny says the "hobby" line. That leads me to believe the the "you need to get a hobby" line was probably the most mean thing that Bethenny said in the phone call.

Jill went to Andy and said, she and Bethenny had a fight and she thought it would play out well. He tried to talk her out of it, but Jill went with it anyway. She just forgot to tell Bethenny, that this was a story line for the show. 

So, all of the attempts that Bethenny made to make up with Jill fell on death ears because Jill wanted there to be teams (she really has a thing about that).

When Bethenny and Kelly had decided to settle their differences and start over, Jill sent Kelly an email that was vaguely threatening her that it would be a bad idea to bury the hatchet with Bethenny. Kelly actually confronted Jill about it during the season. But, I think that Jill continued to work her machinations with Kelly off screen, because I can't figure out any other reason why Kelly came to Scary Island gunning for Bethenny the way she did, since B and K had already decided to move on and be civil to each other. Kelly even attended one of Bethenny's Skinny Girl events to show her support and tried to get Jill to congratulate Bethenny and Jason on their engagement. So, Jill working on her off camera had to be the only reason Kelly accused B of planting stories to harm her and her children as part of her breakdown on Scary Island. 

As for Bobby and the cancer scare. That is another really interesting story. Apparently, while Bethenny was doing her publicity tour, she found out that Bobby was in the hospital, but was not told that it was serious. So, Bethenny sent him flowers along with some well wishes.

Jill used that to say that Bethenny was well aware of how gravely ill Bobby was and just brushed it off with some cheap flowers. Well, during the phone call that Jill had Luann in the room while Bethenny is on speaker, you can actually hear Bethenny say that she didn't realize that Bobby was that sick. She goes on to say that since Jill was in the Hamptons partying during Bobby's hospital stay, she really didn't think Bobby's illness was serious enough for her to fly back from California.

That is when Jill yells to Bethenny that they are done and hangs up on her. So, not only did Jill's plan backfire, but the tea about her partying while her husband was in the hospital also got spilled. From the look on Luann's face when Bethenny said that I assume that even Luann wasn't aware of that tidbit.

Seriously, that was my favorite season of any and every Housewives show. Everything went down hill after that and it got really dark and twisted. That was why I was so happy with the recasting because the show is much more fun and a lot less dark - with the exception of he who must not be named and his vicious daughter.

Edited by MatildaMoody
  • Love 7

I started re-watching Season 1 because of you guys. It is so weird seeing Ramona relatively calm and slightly less arrogant.

Alex and Simon were so bizarre. They flaunted their "love" for each other, but during the Alex birthday celebration on the boat, Alex can barely maintain eye contact with Simon after he gives her the earrings.

LuAnn actually looks even prettier now than in Season 1.

Bethenny. Jason 1 was just not that into her. And kadooz to whoever noticed how much she looks like Teacher Susie on Sid the Science Kid. That jaw.

I just read that Jill is doing an episode of Celebrity Wife Swap  with Jenna von Oy from Blossom.  She just won't go away will she?

She is seriously milking that 15 minutes of Warhol film for a full 30 minutes, isn't she?

Of course, I already programmed this show (which I normally don't watch) on my DVR just for this episode.  No way do I want to miss Jill trying to put in a performance that will get Andy's attention and score her an invite back onto RHONYC.

Not that I think that will happen but I'm sure Jill does.  

• Love 1
Alex and Simon were so bizarre. They flaunted their "love" for each other, but during the Alex birthday celebration on the boat, Alex can barely maintain eye contact with Simon after he gives her the earrings.

I've been rewatching Seasons 1 and 2, and remembered why I found Simon so creepy (and still do). Pompous, pretentious, and while there's nothing wrong with showing appreciation for one's spouse, his touching her while she tried on clothes in boutiques, commenting on her "figger" was just creepy to me. But the icing was his meltdown about the "fucking surprise" being ruined, seguing seamlessly into singing Pop Goes the Weasel. Seriously, WTF? And I know massage therapists see all manner of stuff, but his moaning during that Hamptons massage would have made me feel uneasy (and embarrassed for him).

If Simon and Alex had started out as the Greek Chorus, commenting on the absurdity of everyone else around them (like Bethenny did), they would have fared better on the show. Instead, for the first couple of seasons they tried desperately to fit into a world that would never accept them, and their pretensions were hard to watch.

So, Jill on Celebrity Wife Swap? She gets to make someone else's life a living Hell for a week. Can't wait to hear how she picks apart her host family and their home. I bet she earmarks all of the money at the end for interior design by her gay husband Brad.

• Love 1

I've been rewatching Seasons 1 and 2, and remembered why I found Simon so creepy (and still do). Pompous, pretentious, and while there's nothing wrong with showing appreciation for one's spouse, his touching her while she tried on clothes in boutiques, commenting on her "figger" was just creepy to me. But the icing was his meltdown about the "fucking surprise" being ruined, seguing seamlessly into singing Pop Goes the Weasel. Seriously, WTF? And I know massage therapists see all manner of stuff, but his moaning during that Hamptons massage would have made me feel uneasy (and embarrassed for him).

If Simon and Alex had started out as the Greek Chorus, commenting on the absurdity of everyone else around them (like Bethenny did), they would have fared better on the show. Instead, for the first couple of seasons they tried desperately to fit into a world that would never accept them, and their pretensions were hard to watch.

So, Jill on Celebrity Wife Swap? She gets to make someone else's life a living Hell for a week. Can't wait to hear how she picks apart her host family and their home. I bet she earmarks all of the money at the end for interior design by her gay husband Brad.

I felt so bad for Alex in that episode.  It was just wrong on so many levels.  

Simon telling her to get all dressed up for something special that night...Alex obviously expecting something special.  

And special turning out to consist of taking her to pick up a pair of (totally comped) earrings from an Australian ex-pat in his design studio, followed by the piece de resistance...

Taking her back to their hovel in the basement to eat cupcakes with the boys.  

I wasn't quite sure what was more embarrassing for her, Simon's limo rant to the driver about ruining the "surprise" (snort) or his totally incorrect fashion advice in telling Alex she needed the really long earrings to offset her really long face (which was totally incorrect, BTW, Simon...Were you pushing that particular pair of earrings because that was the only pair the guy who designed them was willing to trade for air time?).  

The entire outing was just so embarrassing.  When I saw Alex's facial expression in the limo during Simon's tantrum, I couldn't help but wonder how many times she'd seen those types of outbursts before.

After seeing Simon's behavior in that scene, I always thought Francois and Johann's outrageous behavior was learned from daddy dearest.   

• Love 4

Thanks so much for the great summary of the Bethenny/Jill situation.  I think Bethenny was genuinely very fond of Jill - I'm guessing she's not the sort of person who makes friends easily and that she and Jill really got on well. Jill's machinations blindsided her.

I'll definitely watch the Celeb Wife Swap with Jill, if only to see if she still has that horrendous decor in her apartment.

The Wife Swap will be on this next Tues on ABC.  I saw the commercial for it and as much as I hate to say it, Jill looked the best I've ever seen her.  The new short bob is cute and whatever she's had 'done' is working.  She looks much younger.  From the quick peek I had it looks like she's the 'rich snob' of the two, and the other woman is much more down to earth.  One shot showed her doing something (I believe it was walking a dog?) in a small front yard and saying something like the people were too cheap to hire someone to do it for them and just claimed they liked to do it themselves.  Said all the while with the patented Jill 'shark smile'.  I'd bet she's going to try for a 'nice guy' edit, though, to resurrect her image.  (she thinks she's being nice by smiling, but bless her heart she cant help her snarkiness)  Another scene showed Alli showing a mass of jewelry to the other wife at Jill's home while the other wife looked on in amazement.  I'm looking forward to seeing her place again, oh and the jewelry Bawby gave her.  ;)

@JAYJAY1979 ~ Bethenny got her own show so she really didn't quit, she just never returned and of course didn't invite Jill either.

@stcroix ~ I thought Jill's style vastly improved when she got rid of her gay husband, stylist and Zarin fabric designer buddy. Boy was his esthetic old lady who lunch.  I still chuckle when I think of that horrid suit she wore to look at apartments with Bethenny.

• Love 3

There was a lot of behind the scenes "I want to be the star" of the show shenanigans. However when watching the early seasons, I got the feeling Bethenny is one of those women who when she's lonely or in a bad place is totally needy and relies on friends for emotional support. Then the minute things are looking up or they get a man, you never see them until they need something again. I think she liked Jill's mothering and help, until she didn't need it anymore. I think Jill went off the rails and took her vendetta too far but I think she felt used & betrayed. Ultimately, neither of them are good people but Bethenny rode the victim of Jill hate train for all it was worth.

I noticed that my grocery store is carrying Skinny Girl snacks in the chips aisle. There's popcorn and other low calorie snack food. I guess if you label something "Skinny" it's an automatic hit.

• Love 2

@JAYJAY1979 ~ Bethenny got her own show so she really didn't quit, she just never returned and of course didn't invite Jill either.

@stcroixI thought Jill's style vastly improved when she got rid of her gay husband, stylist and Zarin fabric designer buddy. Boy was his esthetic old lady who lunch.  I still chuckle when I think of that horrid suit she wore to look at apartments with Bethenny.

…is that who that guy was who would appear, recurring through the first few seasons?  Was he the one who eyed Kelly's date at some event at the Zarin store…where Kelly and the dude had a pillow fight?

Yes, that was him. I think his name was Brad.

Bethenny posted a picture on instagram of her wearing her 4 year old daughters pajamas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2690647/Is-age-appropriate-Bethenny-Frankel-squeezes-four-year-old-daughters-pajamas-cheeky-Instagram-shot.html

Alongside the photo, she wrote: 'This is my daughter's nightgown and PJ shorts. Think we're ready to start sharing clothes yet?'

My God, that little girl is going to have so many issues. I feel sorry for her.

• Love 2
(edited)

Why in the world would a woman even think to put on her 4 yr. old's clothes and think it was ok?

IMO, Bethenny is mentally ill....but I guess that is rather obvious

Edited by tulip555
  • Love 1

Yes, that was him. I think his name was Brad.

Bethenny posted a picture on instagram of her wearing her 4 year old daughters pajamas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2690647/Is-age-appropriate-Bethenny-Frankel-squeezes-four-year-old-daughters-pajamas-cheeky-Instagram-shot.html

frankel14n-2-web.jpg

B looks gross.  Are we supposed to believe that she's wearing a 4T in this photo?  How did she smoosh her huge implants down?  And are those supposed to be her daughter's slippers as well?  Another stunt.  Just gross.

• Love 3

Wow, I loved Bethenny in the beginning and have tried to give her passes as the years went by - tried to see her side and empathize and all that. But this picture is deeply disturbing. This is a bad forecast for Brynn's future. Who, besides an insecure narcissist, even thinks to see if they fit in their 4-year-old's clothing??? She tries to play it off innocently - invoking images of mother-daughter bonding over clothing. But really she's trying to point out how tiny she is. I fear Brynn is going to end up just as screwed up as Bethenny is. Bethenny should have never had kids. I'm sorry. That's probably a terrible thing to say, and I'm usually not one to be that judgemental. But she has SO many issues. She knows she has issues. She knows what growing up with her own mother and HER issues did - but she didn't stop the cycle. She's funny and a good business woman, entertaining to watch. But she is not selfless enough to really be a good wife and mother. I think she should have recognized that and just married and babied her career. 

• Love 11

Wow, I loved Bethenny in the beginning and have tried to give her passes as the years went by - tried to see her side and empathize and all that. But this picture is deeply disturbing. This is a bad forecast for Brynn's future. Who, besides an insecure narcissist, even thinks to see if they fit in their 4-year-old's clothing??? She tries to play it off innocently - invoking images of mother-daughter bonding over clothing. But really she's trying to point out how tiny she is. I fear Brynn is going to end up just as screwed up as Bethenny is. Bethenny should have never had kids. I'm sorry. That's probably a terrible thing to say, and I'm usually not one to be that judgemental. But she has SO many issues. She knows she has issues. She knows what growing up with her own mother and HER issues did - but she didn't stop the cycle. She's funny and a good business woman, entertaining to watch. But she is not selfless enough to really be a good wife and mother. I think she should have recognized that and just married and babied her career. 

Wow, this could have been my statement on Bethenny. I didn't start watching RHoNY until season 3, so I empathised with her because she was going through so much turmoil. I supported her Skinny line, follow her on twitter, and watched her spin-off reality shows. This pyjama thing though, is so very creepy. And I agree that Bethenny isn't the marrying or mothering kind. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Love 2

I agree

(edited)

@stcroix ~ I thought Jill's style vastly improved when she got rid of her gay husband, stylist and Zarin fabric designer buddy. Boy was his esthetic old lady who lunch.  I still chuckle when I think of that horrid suit she wore to look at apartments with Bethenny.

Boy, do I agree with this observation!

When I first started watching this franchise, I thought Jill was overweight and dressed really frumpy in caftan-styled clothes to try to hide her bulk.

I just about fell out of my chair when it showed her at home in jeans and a tank top and she was TINY and had a perfectly fine, well-toned body.  The only thing big about her was her boobs, and those styles Brad kept putting her in made her look like Barnum & Bailey had been in town running a sale and he'd scored every tent tent available for Jill to wear.  

I think that dude secretly hated Jill and dressed her like an overweight old woman on purpose for his own snarking purposes.  Her new hairstyle takes about 10 years off of her as well.  I always thought there was something with those straight-cut bangs and overly straightened hair that aged her, especially combined with those atrocious tents Brad "styled" her in.  

Now if only someone could manage the impossible and give her a makeover on the inside...  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 1

Do you know what else is weird?  The wallpaper in the picture, above, is the same wallpaper she had in her bedroom in the apartment she built with Jason.  Is she still there?  I thought Jason got that apartment. Or did she put the same paper in her new digs? Not the same nightstand, nor headboard or mounted lights.  Weird.

bethenny-frankel+tribeca+apartment+%2528

I noticed that my grocery store is carrying Skinny Girl snacks in the chips aisle.

I've also seen SkinnyGirl lip balm in some discount store. Did she branch out into cosmetics too?? I'm not sure what to think of that photo, knowing that Bethenny's copped to being anorexic/bulimic in the past.

I've been re-watching old seasons on Hulu and have got to say, even though I couldn't stand Jill by the end, she was good at providing a window into how the 1% live, and the show's been missing that since. It was gross conspicuous consumption on the one hand (a $16,000 handbag), but on the other hand, the private shoppers'/VIP night at Saks 5th Avenue was fun to watch. There hasn't quite been that peek inside since Jill left the show.

(And what happened to the ladies attending Fashion Week?? That was always good for some snark.)

• Love 2
I've also seen SkinnyGirl lip balm in some discount store. Did she branch out into cosmetics too??

Skinny Girl lip balm? What, does it have some type of amphetamine in that curbs your appetite? Does it taste like food, so you don't want to eat? Just weird. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Skinny Girl lip balm? What, does it have some type of amphetamine in that curbs your appetite? Does it taste like food, so you don't want to eat? Just weird. 

weird is right....Maybe she thinks anything she comes out with will sell, no matter how idiotic....people bought the Skinny Girl.  Somewhere there was a poster who bought the mix, and said it was awful.

Edited by tulip555
(edited)

Yeah, I just saw some kind of gross looking Skinny girl snack on line by the registers at TJ Maxx.  It was $5.99.  There were dozens of them.  People on line kept picking them up, looked at 'em puzzled & put 'em back down.  I did the same.  No way fuckin' way, Beths.

Oh man, that poor kid doesn't have a chance.  Anorexia, bulimia & botox by the time she's 10.  When will she get a boob job?  12?  Ah, well, at least she doesn't have to gold-dig like dear ole daddy dearest.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

Yeah, I just saw some kind of gross looking Skinny girl snack on line by the registers at TJ Maxx.  It was $5.99.  There were dozens of them.  People on line kept picking them up, looked at 'em puzzled & put 'em back down.  I did the same.  No way fuckin' way, Beths.

Heaven knows, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that I'd heard/read that some company bought out Skinny Girl for multi millions a year or two ago. That would likely mean that all the weird products--snacks, cosmetics and the like--probably have nothing at all to do with Bethenny. I have a vague memory that was part of the reason it took so long to settle her divorce because Jason wanted a cut of the profits from the sale. Or something like that.

So who took that picture of Bethenny in those pajamas?  Brynn?  Or did her accused rapist boyfriend take the pic of her in the little girls' pajamas? Somethin' a little creepy there.

• Love 6

So who took that picture of Bethenny in those pajamas?  Brynn?  Or did her accused rapist boyfriend take the pic of her in the little girls' pajamas? Somethin' a little creepy there.

I was afraid to ask that question.

I have a vague memory that was part of the reason it took so long to settle her divorce because Jason wanted a cut of the profits from the sale.

A big part of the problem was that Bethenny was insisting on sole custody.

As for the pajamas, what's Bethenny going to do when Brynn is 6 and is wearing all those "fat clothes" that just "hang" on mommy? (Because I can totally imagine her showing us how "Look! I'm 43 and still skinnier than my six year old!!!")

• Love 3

Heaven knows, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that I'd heard/read that some company bought out Skinny Girl for multi millions a year or two ago. That would likely mean that all the weird products--snacks, cosmetics and the like--probably have nothing at all to do with Bethenny. I have a vague memory that was part of the reason it took so long to settle her divorce because Jason wanted a cut of the profits from the sale. Or something like that.

When Bethenny started having success with Skinny Girl recognition she created an umbrella of problem-solving products and endorsements under her name including workout DVDs, books, clothes and weight-loss supplements in addition to her Skinnygirl cocktails. Someone posted her submissions for I guess it would be patent (?) on that other (twop) site. When she sold the cocktail line it only included her existing flavors and the potential to develop other alcoholic items. The other SG products weren't part of the cocktail sale and Bethenny still has a hand in their development. It seems like the only big money maker was the cocktail sale though.

Just a reminder 10pm tonight on ABC Jill Zarin "stars" in Celebrity Wife Swap.

I can't watch that without Jill, so I'm not tuning in. I will, however, happily read any recap you may want to post! :)

The part about this that intrigues me is that if Jill is on, that means Bobby is on, and I can't really remember her ever letting Bobby on camera without her.    
Somehow I look forward to that.

I can't watch that without Jill, so I'm not tuning in.

I can't watch it WITH Jillzy.  If anyone wants to watch & report back, I'll be more than happy to read -- otherwise I'll pass.  Jillzy might find this hard to believe, but there are actual fans of the show who don't give a rat's ass bout her.

• Love 2
(edited)

You are so right. My now 20 year old daughter and I have both been through therapy. Although I have obesity in my family and have to exercise like a crazy person to stay at a healthy weight, when my daughter went through puberty and put on very normal puberty-related weight, she resented me because I was thin. She constantly compared herself to me, and our extremely close relationship went through the wringer. She developed an eating disorder and I blamed myself for modeling an extreme relationship with food. Now, years later, and many therapy sessions later, we're in a good place but for awhile it was very scary. I am NOWHERE near as skinny as Bethenny, so I hate to think what Bryn will go through when she hits puberty.

Edited by Aspenemptynest
  • Love 3

I can't wrap my head around how heinous Jill Zarin was on Celebrity Wife Swap.  I always disliked her on RHNJ she was awful.  After seeing her tonight I realize that BRAVO gave her the "good" edit... Holy Crap the stuff Andy must have left on the cutting room floor.

Thanks.   I could not watch the whole thing.  I did think Jill's new hairstyle was a real improvement. 

What does Jenna von Oy do for a living now?  She hasn't done much for a while. She needs some roles.  She's done a fair amount of voiceover work.  Per Wikipedia, hubby works in computers.  It seems the moved to Nashville for her to try music, but it hasn't worked out.  

Jill's hair looked fabulous, but her attitude sucked. Apparently she was meant to make messes, and others were meant to clean them up. I wanted to slap her in the first five minutes.