Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of Housewives Past: Jill Zarin, Alex, and the Rest

• Start Topic

LuAnn seems so stiff in the early years especially when interacting with the kids. Then there is the treatment of her housekeeper.  She comes back from Phillipines and LuAnn is like "You must be jetlagged.  Okay, let's go downstairs to the laundry room and I want you to start with..."   And the complaining that for that short period she had to actually do things other than play tennis.

She seems so in love with her own "royalty" and is so out of touch with the common man!

• Love 3

And the scenes where Alex McCord is modeling outfits.  Yikes.  It's painful to watch a woman who is really so unattractive act like she's some high fashion model while trying on clothes for her obsessive husband.

• Love 2

Luann was really hard to stomach in the early years. I will never forget the way she corrected that little girl on how to cut her chicken, like she was such an idiot for not knowing! But I have been loving her this season. I wonder if she just learned how to act more palatable when the cameras are rolling, or if the situation with the Count knocked her down a few pegs? 

As for Alex - no, I don't find her very attractive. But if she feels confident with herself and beautiful in those outfits and her husband is attracted to her, more power to her. That's really what matters, IMO - not how others see us, but how we see ourselves. I would kill for half of her confidence. 

• Love 6

I wonder if she just learned how to act more palatable when the cameras are rolling, or if the situation with the Count knocked her down a few pegs?

I think Luann just decided that she had the freedom to be her real self on camera this season. Simon and Alex would constantly talk about how the Luann we saw on screen was not the LuLu who loved to party off camera. They loved hanging out with her when she wasn't being the Countess. So, now we are finally seeing LuLu in all of her fun glory.

• Love 1

Luann was really hard to stomach in the early years. I will never forget the way she corrected that little girl on how to cut her chicken, like she was such an idiot for not knowing! But I have been loving her this season. I wonder if she just learned how to act more palatable when the cameras are rolling, or if the situation with the Count knocked her down a few pegs? 

As for Alex - no, I don't find her very attractive. But if she feels confident with herself and beautiful in those outfits and her husband is attracted to her, more power to her. That's really what matters, IMO - not how others see us, but how we see ourselves. I would kill for half of her confidence. 

That's a very good point about Alex.  I think my perception of her is clouded by her persona of "Hamptons...it's no St. Bart's" stuff.  Her pretentiousness just irritates me.  But they do seem like a loving couple.  

I gotta say, I am so glad I have watched Seasons 1-2 now.  Can't wait to get through Season 3.  After watching the early years, really there is no comparison.  The leg toss feels cheap to me.  The relationships felt much more real and as a result the fights seemed much more real.  I know I will hate Jill when I watch Season 3 based on public opinion, but I like her now.  Love Bethenney.

And Kelly is one pyschobitch from hell and I'm only in Season 2.  The woman can't string together a coherent sentence despite being a "writer" and a Columbia grad.  

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 1

Seriously, Bethenny you just married one shithead loser & now you're gonna head straight into a marriage with another one?? WTF?

http://www.realitytea.com/2014/08/07/bethenny-frankel-really-ready-wed/

I'm going through a divorce myself and I have to say I think even talking about another marriage before the divorce is final is a bit tacky.

I think Bethanny is a bit of a serial monogamous. She doesn't seem to have casual relationships. She and Jason were very serious very soon. She and Jason #1 were house hunting before he'd even proposed. She was married and(I think)had 2 engagements before Jason #1. Homegirl does not seem comfertable being alone. Not my thing, but I have a lot of friends like that. Every guy is always THE ONE.

Edited by FozzyBear

Anyone know if Alex ever actually booked any modelling jobs?

OMG, she didn't really think she could model did she?  I will say, she looked much, much better season 3. But she is not attractive.

And wow, I've come to the conclusion that Kelly and Ramona are trapped in their 12 year-old's body.  They are like children.  Dumb children who are successful despite themselves.  

Kelly's flirting with the journalist who interviewed her about Playboy was so painful.

Well, if modeling agencies are telling Kristen that she'll need to move to Minneapolis to get work, then I'm going to say that Alex didn't make quite the impact she imagined.

On what planet would Alex be asked to professionally model?  I mean, she may be tall and lanky but the woman's head looks like it was in a vice it's so long and she has no lips.  Her face is rather unfortunate looking and even the best of the best cosmetics artistry isn't going to help.  She doesn't have the bone structure.  

I will say that Season 3, I like her much more than I expected.  She actually seems like a nice person.

• Love 2

I will say that Season 3, I like her much more than I expected.  She actually seems like a nice person.

Except for the whole "I have a message from Bethenny" announcement that she did in front of the whole group.  That was pretty cold.  I never really liked Jill but I felt bad for her there.

• Love 2

Except for the whole "I have a message from Bethenny" announcement that she did in front of the whole group.  That was pretty cold.  I never really liked Jill but I felt bad for her there.

Ha!  I haven't gotten to that part yet!  I gotta say, I love this group of ladies!  I want them all back!

• Love 1

That scene was pretty harsh. I think Alex had been having issues with Jill for quite awhile, so she leaped at the chance to get confrontational with her in some way. It just did not work out well. Alex had genuine grievances with several of the ladies, but her timing and delivery left a lot to be desired. 

• Love 3

Anyone know if Alex ever actually booked any modelling jobs?

She did actually do a photo shoot for a really high end fashion designer. The photos were linked to on TWOP, not sure where to find them now. The photos actually turned out pretty good, I was surprised. 

And yikes of the renewal of vows.  Avery had it all right with her, "this is ridiculous."  It was ridiculous even before we knew of Mario's extra curricular activities.  Avery is a smart girl.

She did actually do a photo shoot for a really high end fashion designer. The photos were linked to on TWOP, not sure where to find them now. The photos actually turned out pretty good, I was surprised. 

This has to have only occurred because of her Real Housewives fame and cleverly shot then.  

Sorry for my play-by-play but I'm watching the episode where they are on the yacht and Kelly is arguing with Beth and Sonja after the one-night-stand discussion. Holy cow.  Kelly seems to only want to argue about everything.  The contrarian.   And she can't form coherent sentences.  I can't believe she is a writer?  Columbia grad?

• Love 1

And she can't form coherent sentences.  I can't believe she is a writer?  Columbia grad?

I think the scuttlebutt is that Kelly actually attended a certification program through an extension of Columbia. Does anyone else remember the details? She wasn't an actual Graduate from Columbia in the sense that she earned a traditional degree. It's been a while since that part of her resume was dissected, so I may not be phrasing it correctly.

Also, most of her "books" are photo heavy rather than text heavy, and the speculation is that she had her magazine writing position due to her ex-husband's connections. 

According to Kelly's linkedin page, she attended Columbia from 94-98 and has a BA in Literature.  I'm sure if she had actually just attended a workshop for a certification, that would be public knowledge by now, right?  She was a fairly famous model at the time.  Universities bend the admission requirements for celebrity students all the time, so I don't know, I think I believe her.

Her rep actually released a statement about it at the time:  she attended the College of General Studies.  It's not an extension or certification program, but an actual undergraduate college at the University. 

Edited by candy moocher
  • Love 2

According to Kelly's linkedin page, she attended Columbia from 94-98 and has a BA in Literature.  I'm sure if she had actually just attended a workshop for a certification, that would be public knowledge by now, right?  She was a fairly famous model at the time.  Universities bend the admission requirements for celebrity students all the time, so I don't know, I think I believe her.

Her rep actually released a statement about it at the time:  she attended the College of General Studies.  It's not an extension or certification program, but an actual undergraduate college at the University. 

Thanks for the clarification. I remember there being a great deal of discussion about her Columbia background on TWOP, but couldn't remember the exact details.

OMG, I just finished Scary Island episode!  Wow.  That was unreal.   So sad and entertaining that I was able to get an hour on the treadmill and it not feel like torture.  I hope Kelly got help.  And now I totally believe the guy who claimed she beat him up and had her arrested.  

On a surprising note, Ramona seemed normal in that episode and even likeable.

Edited by sasha206

So hilarious!  Oh my that is so funny!  

Oddly enough, I actually liked Alex toward the end.  And she actually looked fabulous at the Season 3 reunion.  Simon was a hoot.  It would be fun to have them back!

• Love 1

Yikes, those aren't even great pics either...she needs to give up the modeling ghost.

While I do agree that she should give up modeling (which she has), I respectfully disagree that these weren't great pictures of her. I think that she actually looks really good in these photos. They remind me of models of a different era/decade - and I see nothing wrong with that.

• Love 6

LuAnn seems so stiff in the early years especially when interacting with the kids. Then there is the treatment of her housekeeper.  She comes back from Phillipines and LuAnn is like "You must be jetlagged.  Okay, let's go downstairs to the laundry room and I want you to start with..."   And the complaining that for that short period she had to actually do things other than play tennis.

She seems so in love with her own "royalty" and is so out of touch with the common man!

Here is an old story about LuAnn.  Please note this blogger Lynn became quite popular and then quite tragically passed away suddenly.  Her family has carried on her blog but never with the force Lynn had.:

http://lynnnchicago101.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/i-hate-jill-zarin-real-housewives-of-new-york-reviewpreview-luann-de-lesseps/

• Love 3

Bethenny defended the strange photo by saying that when your young daughter wants you to put on her clothes, you do it. OK, but I doubt that her daughter insisted that she post the photo online. THAT's the part that's really disturbing...Bethenny's need to show the world absolutely everything she does, no matter how odd or uncomfortable the photo's effect. Her poor daughter will always be playing second fiddle to her mother's Instagram account. Kind of reminds me of Kim Kardashian and North West.

• Love 6

Oddly enough, I actually liked Alex toward the end.  And she actually looked fabulous at the Season 3 reunion.  Simon was a hoot.  It would be fun to have them back!

I don't see that happening any time soon. Alex is probably not high on Andy's list for making a return to the HW's franchise what with her video blog on thestir.com, she clues the viewers in on what nobody else talks about -- the fourth wall and she gives an honest critique about some of Bravo's tactics to create drama which can't be thrilling for the network.

I think Alex is a cool lady; she and Simon just didn't translate well on the show. I personally don't want to see her humiliated again with those early season bitches -- even though she's made peace with most of them. I do think she would get along fine with the current group of housewives though.

• Love 4

Lynn the blogger - RIP - was completely insane IMO.  I'm posting that in case anyone else has felt uncomfortable expressing that - let me be the devil on your shoulder.  Even Silex distanced themselves from her.  I wish she hadn't fallen ill and died.  I'm still writing that Lynn was absolutely crazy and had zero perspective about separating what happened IRL from TV/online stuff.

Alex is just too try-hard for me.  She was a little meeker than some of the other Hos, but I don't think she was nice.  She was super pretentious (Met Opera, 'suburbs, ugh!' face, 'would you like Francois to recite the numbers backwards or forwards?' 'oh, everyone else looks like a tourist in Morocco' when she looked like she was ripe for a pickpocketing.)  She was thirsty to get involved in other people's business.  She was clueless: her other (better?) half is now full-time obsessed with all things Bravo, 'BravoRatings,' Alex with her painful, tic-y, nervous vlogs - but then, she was super happy to do some of Bethenny's dirty work, and Bethenny ditched her as fast as her skinnygirl legs would carry her.  (After Silex and Ramona/Mario went to her wedding - Bethenny had no family and very few friends and needed to fluff up that guest list to have it seem less embarrassing).  It's like Alex couldn't see any of the writing on the wall, ever, despite probably being more intelligent and observant than anyone else on the show at the time, including Bethenny.  Somewhat mysterious until you factor in her thirsty social-climbing tendencies, then the blinders make sense.

The modeling stuff: oy. 

• Love 5

One thing that I always thought was rather pathetic about Alex was that she was so desperate for attention that she would align herself with people who gave two flying figs about her.  In season 3 it at least seemed a valid way to stay on the show but by the wrap of season 4 it was just pathetic.  Say what you will about Jill but she actually was the nicest to Alex/Simon.  Bethenney had basically run out of sympathetic ears and used her for her sounding board for the last bit of her run then dropped her like a hot potato.  And the degree to which Ramona/Sonja had her as a side prop was just rather pathetic.

I am very pleasantly surprised by Alex's vlogging over the past year.  She finally seems comfortable in front of the camera and makes points coherently.  This iteration of Alex I actually see myself liking- as long as the drunk ginger keeps his distance. 

Kelly on the other hand is just challenged on so many fronts.  She is actually still very attractive at certain angles & it is clear that she could have been a successful model.  Shockingly she seems to not know a darned thing about only giving her better angles.  or dressing for her body.  Skipping unlined dresses, ditching the tight tops and wearing a little sunscreen would really do wonders...  To be honest she should probably just put Luann in charge of her aesthetic decisions. 

• Love 3

Kelly on the other hand is just challenged on so many fronts.  She is actually still very attractive at certain angles & it is clear that she could have been a successful model.  Shockingly she seems to not know a darned thing about only giving her better angles.  or dressing for her body.  Skipping unlined dresses, ditching the tight tops and wearing a little sunscreen would really do wonders...  To be honest she should probably just put Luann in charge of her aesthetic decisions. 

Agreed.  She can look very pretty one minute and beef jerky the next.  Her body is just off the charts strange.  She's fit, but that torso is disastrous as were her boobs (I think she fixed them).  Her legs are clearly what she thought was her best feature so she wore dresses where so short it looked bizarre.  She always looked a mess to me, but she really was beautiful.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone more looney in a reality show.  That was no pretense.  Every scene she was in was so bizarre -- even when she was flirting with her dates and the interviewer.  

• Love 1

I thought Kelly looked the most beautiful on the Morocco trip, and that was due to the fact that she was covered up for most of it.  When the camel tried to buck LuAnn, Kelly was wearing this cable-knit sweater and pants combo and she just looked lovely.  Then there was the Pucci dress that she wore to dinner the one night (when Alex was clomping around in her ugly LV shoes and trying to confront people). 

LuAnn getting tossed around by that camel is hands down the funniest Housewives moment for me.  Youtube doesn't have any clips that don't suck, otherwise I'd post something here.

Edited by candy moocher
  • Love 3

Say what you will about Jill but she actually was the nicest to Alex/Simon.  

Can somebody help me out?  Maybe I'm misremembering things again, but didn't Jill and Simon have somewhat of a friendship?  More so than Jill and Alex?

Wowza. I am now on Season 4, episode 1 where Alex tells us that she's lucky because her parents are good looking and hence, so is she! (paraphrase).  On the upside, she has confidence in her looks.  But a little delusional...

• Love 4

LOL.  Sasha, I am totally enjoying your mini-recaps.  Brings back fond memories.  This franchise has always been my hands down favorite - must see TV.  Which is why it pains me it's gone in the crapper with all the rest, imo. 

I'm thinking this winter I'll sign up for Hulu and go back to watch the NYC Hos from day one.  Maybe there are other snowbounders who would want to follow at the same pace and we'd have something to discuss/snark over in between regular seasons?  I remember Bethenny being a very polarizing character.  You either loved her or not.

Kelly was a kook but I always had a soft spot for her.  I wonder if I'd still feel that way upon re-watch. Alex, too.  She was a little delusional but tried so hard to be something she wasn't.  I think she was harmless, though.  Simon...."the heeeeat".  Have you got to that part yet?

• Love 5

I need to re-watch just to see Sonja cut Cindy out of pictures.  That's the one thing I've missed and never seen...you'd think with the way they rerun shows every now and then I'd catch it...but no...

Edited by CyberJawa1986

That was nuts.  Who was a more unattractive couple than the 2 of them?  She fixed herself up quite a bit since then so she does look much better now.

No question she looks worlds better than Season 1.  But the face...can't do much about that!

That was nuts.  Who was a more unattractive couple than the 2 of them?  She fixed herself up quite a bit since then so she does look much better now.

No question she looks worlds better than Season 1.  But the face...can't do much about that!

I'm thinking this winter I'll sign up for Hulu and go back to watch the NYC Hos from day one.  Maybe there are other snowbounders who would want to follow at the same pace and we'd have something to discuss/snark over in between regular seasons?  I remember Bethenny being a very polarizing character.  You either loved her or not

Not snowbound at all, but I'm totally up for watching it again with others so lets us know when you start! The only season I never bought was 4 because I found them all to be insufferable that season, particularly the brunettes. Even if it was the highest rated season, to me, that is the season that destroyed RHONY.

I need to re-watch just to see Sonja cut Cindy out of pictures.  That's the one thing I've missed and never seen...you'd think with the way they rerun shows every now and then I'd catch it...but no...

That was great! One of the few highlights of that season for me. I think that was also the episode in which Jill featured her Squeez Couture but didn't invite Ramona to that because she blamed Ramona for messing up her deal with Kodak. Bitch, please! Had you been a good spokesperson you would have responded to Ramona's questions with all the reasons why people should use Kodak.

• Love 1

Alex clearly must have fixed her teeth -- altho Andy asked her directly & she denied it.  Ugh, everyone bullshits on these stupid reality shows, don't they?  Her denial was meaningless.  If you have eyes, you can tell she did a major rehab on her teeth.  They looked horrible in the first few seasons.  She looked like a homeless person.  Now at least she looks half-way decent -- cuz she makes an effort with her hair & makeup.  She really needs to work on herself to look good.  But she can & does look good now.  With the right makeup to cover her splotchy terrible skin, and the right hair coloring (covering the black roots & getting rid of the brassy orange shit she had in the first few seasons) & styling it so it's not overly frizzy & poofy, she looks pretty good.  Alex is hardly a natural beauty, the poor deluded dear.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

Okay, so now I am watching Sonja and Alex battling it out on whose day it really is for the marriage equality march. When Kelli is  the voice of reason, you know it's bad. 

Edited by sasha206