Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Twitter is all, well, atwitter with anticipation about the next episode, Herogasm. I do know what happens between Homelander and Soldier Boy in the comics, but according to Kripke that's not part of this version of the characters. As someone who has not read the comics, is there more to Herogasm than a supe orgy? And is there a point to the orgy beyond the shock value? 

Perhaps it's an easy way to introduce SB to the group since he introduced it. He shows up and things get serious....

Other than that they appear to feel a professional obligation to up the shock value every season.

It's "iconic"...

Something very very bad, a.k.a. Homelander special bad, is going to happen to Maeve there that is Herogasm themed. She won't be dead but it will be horrible. Starlight will be beyond upset and will not be able to do a thing about it.

SB makes heroic entrance... hopefully.

His role would be to emasculate and challenge Homelander who is the weaker character in this iteration.

???

I was just thinking abt a comment Kripke said in an interview.  That we would be surprised who came out in top, between the Alphas.

What if Soldier Boy depowers Homelander, then Black Noir maces Soldier Boy with that spray that seems to be his Achilles Heel.  

Black Noir has always been Stan Edgar’s guy.  Edgar probably gave the info ab5 SB to Queen Maeve knowing The Boys would release him, and this was their best bet to get HL out of the picture, so his guy could step up, like he was supposed to aft Nicaragua.

Where Butcher fits into my theory, I’ve yet to figure out.

• Useful 3
25 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I was just thinking abt a comment Kripke said in an interview.  That we would be surprised who came out in top, between the Alphas.

What if Soldier Boy depowers Homelander, then Black Noir maces Soldier Boy with that spray that seems to be his Achilles Heel.  

Black Noir has always been Stan Edgar’s guy.  Edgar probably gave the info ab5 SB to Queen Maeve knowing The Boys would release him, and this was their best bet to get HL out of the picture, so his guy could step up, like he was supposed to aft Nicaragua.

Where Butcher fits into my theory, I’ve yet to figure out.

I can't see them wanting Black Noir as the leader - unless he suddenly decides to start speaking. They still need a public face for The Seven, unless the goal is to take them all down and just concentrate on a V-powered military.

I do anticipate some kind of conflict between him and Soldier Boy though, as he is on Soldier Boy's 'hit list'. 

Are any of The Boys involved in Herogasm? Seems that it would be a supes-only event by definition.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I can't see them wanting Black Noir as the leader - unless he suddenly decides to start speaking. They still need a public face for The Seven, unless the goal is to take them all down and just concentrate on a V-powered military.

Ok, good point.  Unless BN doesn’t speak on purpose.  Like Edgar told him to wait & bide his time.  He doesn’t need to show his face to be the face of the Seven.

11 hours ago, roamyn said:

Maybe it's not any of the alpha males? Maybe Starlight? She would be good as the public face of the Seven.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/21/2022 at 7:04 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

As someone who has not read the comics, is there more to Herogasm than a supe orgy? And is there a point to the orgy beyond the shock value? 

https://tvline.com/2022/06/22/the-boys-herogasm-sex-nudity-season-3-episode-6/

"But there’s a lot more than just sexual debauchery to “Herogasm,” which is surrounded by a surprising amount of emotional pathos. “It’s a huge episode for a lot of reasons, not just because there’s a massive superhero orgy,” Kripke notes. “We really wanted to give it major turns and majors reveals because we didn’t want it to just be like an episode of Skinemax. We wanted it to be like, ‘OK, oh wow, this is an event for several reasons.'”

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, MAK said:

But there’s a lot more than just sexual debauchery to “Herogasm,” which is surrounded by a surprising amount of emotional pathos. “It’s a huge episode for a lot of reasons, not just because there’s a massive superhero orgy,” Kripke notes. “We really wanted to give it major turns and majors reveals because we didn’t want it to just be like an episode of Skinemax. We wanted it to be like, ‘OK, oh wow, this is an event for several reasons.'”

I think one of those big reveals is that Soldier Boy makes an appearance and reveals to the Seven (Five?) that he’s back.  Of course this is going to throw many of them into panic/fear.

He might be going because he & Stormfront (Liberty) started Herogasm, or because he’s looking for more members of Payback.  I think only the TNT Twins, Mindstorm and Black Noir are left (unless the first three have died prior).  We still haven’t seen the scene where SB goes apeshit killing someone with his shield.

Sadly we may also lose QM, as I could see Homefront torturing her for fun and to get his rocks off.

ETA. Now that I think abt it, SB attending is a way to bring at least Butcher & Hughie to the ‘event’, so there’s a valid reason to see at least some of The Boys during the episode.

Edited by roamyn
(edited)
23 hours ago, roamyn said:

I think one of those big reveals is that Soldier Boy makes an appearance and reveals to the Seven (Five?) that he’s back.  Of course this is going to throw many of them into panic/fear.

He might be going because he & Stormfront (Liberty) started Herogasm, or because he’s looking for more members of Payback.  I think only the TNT Twins, Mindstorm and Black Noir are left (unless the first three have died prior).  We still haven’t seen the scene where SB goes apeshit killing someone with his shield.

Sadly we may also lose QM, as I could see Homefront torturing her for fun and to get his rocks off.

ETA. Now that I think abt it, SB attending is a way to bring at least Butcher & Hughie to the ‘event’, so there’s a valid reason to see at least some of The Boys during the episode.

More or less what I think. You spelled it out more.... it could get nasty for the ladies Homelander has it in for and it could be a way for SB to assert himself as opposing him as the "hero" ...

Edited by Castiels Cat

I was just thinking about the Season 3 trailer and realizing that the scene with Homelander milking the cow is still yet to come, and I'm wondering how the heck that can possibly be a thing given the situation they're in by this point (Episode 6).

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I was just thinking about the Season 3 trailer and realizing that the scene with Homelander milking the cow is still yet to come, and I'm wondering how the heck that can possibly be a thing given the situation they're in by this point (Episode 6).

It may be in the next episode. Maybe after being shaken from the fight he comforts himself with milk fresh from the source? 

• LOL 5
(edited)

I had some thoughts after Herogasm and after reading after Ahrftee's comment that were note suited to speculation/spoiker.

1. JA has said that he Hope's that he's invited back for season 4.... make of that what you will.

2.  According to my husband, in the comics BN goes around doing horrible things pretending to be Homelander. I am going to say that it was BN pretending to be SB that threw the car at the house killing MM' grandfather. Why.... This SB is substantially different than his comic ititeration. Like Starlight he appears to be one of the most human Supes. He has vices however we see regret that he killed in the blasts. It really doesn't like he would just throw a car to kill for no reason at innocent Americans. Just my spec.

Those big blasts wear him out. It would be interesting to see him against SB full strength.

Butcher will want the full juice now.

Edited by Castiels Cat
46 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

Butcher will want the full juice now.

Don’t they only have one more vial of Temp V?

I thought Maeve brought Butcher five vials.  Hughie & Butcher shot up one apiece at Crimson Countess’s and one each before Herogasm. Unless they’re not taking a whole vial at a time.

And Maeve has gone missing so there’s no way to get more.

I'm kind of hung up on the child that Soldier Boy is supposed to have.

If it is Homelander, then that could explain why he is so powerful. Isn't Ryan, Homelander's son, really powerful and set up to be even more powerful than his father? Soldier Boy, the most powerful of his generation, has a son, Homelander, who is even more powerful. But because Soldier Boy became a supe as an adult, he was definitely harder to control. Vought was probably already experimenting with babies, and found out that offspring surpassed the parents in power, so Vought went ahead and appropriated the next (hopefully) most powerful supe from birth.

37 minutes ago, MAK said:

I'm kind of hung up on the child that Soldier Boy is supposed to have.

If it is Homelander, then that could explain why he is so powerful. Isn't Ryan, Homelander's son, really powerful and set up to be even more powerful than his father? Soldier Boy, the most powerful of his generation, has a son, Homelander, who is even more powerful. But because Soldier Boy became a supe as an adult, he was definitely harder to control. Vought was probably already experimenting with babies, and found out that offspring surpassed the parents in power, so Vought went ahead and appropriated the next (hopefully) most powerful supe from birth.

We also know that Liberty disappeared for a while. Although as Stormfront, she did have pictures of a daughter around, the one who had grown old, so she would probably have wanted to be around another child, if she had one as a Supe. Unless she was told it had died.

Liberty/Stormfront's daughter wasn't a supe, she died of old age. It's possible the Vought's had a child before Stormfront became the first supe.

I think the mother of Soldier Boy's child either died or was killed shortly after giving birth. If Vought wanted control, they wouldn't want a mother hanging around. 

Also, if Storrmfront was the mother, very dark Oedipal things were happening. 

(edited)
31 minutes ago, MAK said:

Liberty/Stormfront's daughter wasn't a supe, she died of old age. It's possible the Vought's had a child before Stormfront became the first supe.

I think the mother of Soldier Boy's child either died or was killed shortly after giving birth. If Vought wanted control, they wouldn't want a mother hanging around. 

Also, if Storrmfront was the mother, very dark Oedipal things were happening. 

Yes, the one we know of wasn't a Supe, but she seemed to value the motherhood and the relationship. If she had another child as a supe and knew it survived, you'd think it would have come up. Unless she was convinced she was part of a plan to be the mother of the master race, so maybe her silence and her sacrifice were of value to the cause.

Or she could have been told the supe baby had died and instead the baby was taken from her and raised in the skinner box.

Like with Stillwell? They would certainly go there.

Edited by Affogato

I've been thinking about why they would be keeping the Frenchie/Kimiko/Nina story so separate from the main arc. What if Frenchie and Kimiko didn't so much escape captivity as were set loose? What if Nina is the real big bad and was the one behind him being 'found' in the first place? Maybe she knows about his torture and conditioning to explode when he hears the music (through her connections). Did she perhaps think he would take out all the pesky 'Boys' after they freed him, and then he would be her own personal weapon? And when that plan went south, she set Frenchie and Kimiko up to 'escape' and lead her right back to the team and Soldier Boy.

And then my fanfic-writing brain lead me down another path. If not Nina, then why aren't the Russians looking for their prisoner? Jensen said the door was not closed to him returning for S4 (or further down the road). What if Soldier Boy wasn't so much Winter Soldier'd as Ben/Alec/X5'd? What if the Russians aren't so concerned about his escape because they have made their own little army of new and improved 'Soldier Boys'. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

Don’t they only have one more vial of Temp V?

I thought Maeve brought Butcher five vials.  Hughie & Butcher shot up one apiece at Crimson Countess’s and one each before Herogasm. Unless they’re not taking a whole vial at a time.

And Maeve has gone missing so there’s no way to get more.

They can get it from another source. There was the stuff Stormfront was using... maybe there is some of that somewhere. There is the stuff the Russians were using... that could tie the Boys A-team back to Frenchie and Kimoko through Nina. A mutual hunt for her...

Butcher will want to be juiced even if it's permanent. He tasted Homelander's fear. 

SB may even be the source material for the Russian V. That may be why the Russians kept him locked up with the hamster.

Edited by Castiels Cat
2 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

SB may even be the source material for the Russian V. That may be why the Russians kept him locked up with the hamster.

Has it been shown that injection of a Supe's blood can/cannot give powers? I don't remember if this was discussed on the show or on the boards, and I haven't read the comics.

4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

And then my fanfic-writing brain lead me down another path. If not Nina, then why aren't the Russians looking for their prisoner?

Likely because then they would have to publicly admit that they had America’s greatest superhero locked in a lab for 40 years, and that they experimented on him.

What I’d like to know is where’s Jamie? 

32 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Likely because then they would have to publicly admit that they had America’s greatest superhero locked in a lab for 40 years, and that they experimented on him.

True,  but the public doesn't know what "we" know. There should have been some kind of reaction from his captors.

Unless they (or Nina) wanted him on American soil so they can use him when the time comes.

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Has it been shown that injection of a Supe's blood can/cannot give powers? I don't remember if this was discussed on the show or on the boards, and I haven't read the comics.

It's spec. IDK. I wonder what they were doing. What's the source of the Russian V. Why the hamster... clearly a test subject...

16 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Spoiler

Kripke says SB strips the V out of supe blood to depower them  if that is the case you could theoretically use it to supe yourself  

15 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’m hoping he stowawayed with our lot. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Regarding the spoiler about how an alpha that you don’t expect will come out on top, what if it’s Noir? Soldier Boy didn’t seem to buy it when the TNT twins told him that it was Noir’s idea to sell him out. What if he finds Noir to team back up and gets double crossed? Not by fighting for Homelander’s sake but for his own?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

So, I had a terrible thought about Soldier Boy and Homelander.  Rather than SB being HL's father..what if SB abused HL when he was a kid. Gunpowder said SB knocked him around but not sexual abuse.  What if all the static in HL's mind and split personality thing was triggered by SB...

I don't want to think it's true but it sure would live up to narrative the showrunners have been intimating about SB being worse than HL...

3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

So, I had a terrible thought about Soldier Boy and Homelander.  Rather than SB being HL's father..what if SB abused HL when he was a kid. Gunpowder said SB knocked him around but not sexual abuse.  What if all the static in HL's mind and split personality thing was triggered by SB...

1). I don’t think he’s old enough.  SB has been locked up 37 years.  And as far as we know, HL is not immortal, so he ages.

2).  HL was literally raised in a lab.  SB was in the field or making movies.  When would he have time to pop into a lab?

3).  I think that would be a tipping point for Jensen.  I highly doubt he would personify a character that would do that.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
21 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

Regarding the spoiler about how an alpha that you don’t expect will come out on top, what if it’s Noir? Soldier Boy didn’t seem to buy it when the TNT twins told him that it was Noir’s idea to sell him out. What if he finds Noir to team back up and gets double crossed? Not by fighting for Homelander’s sake but for his own?

In the comics Noir is the one double crossing, making Homelander looking like a bad guy, cosplaying Homelander to do evil things and he takes Homelander down as in kills him. That's why I speculated that BN might have been the one to throw the bus through MM's house not SB. He may have been cosplaying SB and doing terrible things while SB was actually fighting or who knows what.

We know nothing about Noir. He is an unknown. Stan's man.Totally rallied the team behind Nicaragua.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

In the comics Noir is the one double crossing, making Homelander looking like a bad guy, cosplaying Homelander to do evil things and he takes Homelander down as in kills him. That's why I speculated that BN might have been the one to throw the bus through MM's house not SB. He may have been cosplaying SB and doing terrible things while SB was actually fighting or who knows what.

We know nothing about Noir. He is an unknown. Stan's man.Totally rallied the team behind Nicaragua.

In the show Noir looks. Nothing like SB.

So I just saw an interview wherein Jensen Ackles said that some heavy, heavy secrets are coming out in these last two episodes concerning Soldier Boy that made him think Wow. Whoa. and What? while reading the script.

He also said he needed to take a seat while reading it and he hopes that we'll be as shocked when we find out. 

So, I am officially nervous now. 

Thanks a lot, Show. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Myrelle said:

So I just saw an interview wherein Jensen Ackles said that some heavy, heavy secrets are coming out in these last two episodes concerning Soldier Boy that made him think Wow. Whoa. and What? while reading the script.

He also said he needed to take a seat while reading it and he hopes that we'll be as shocked when we find out. 

So, I am officially nervous now. 

Thanks a lot, Show. 

Ok... Homelander is his son theory?

11 hours ago, Affogato said:

In the show Noir looks. Nothing like SB.

Mask? 

He was super crazy about NOT wearing a mask in the flashback... as in now they can see my face

Edited by Castiels Cat
16 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

Homelander is his son theory?

I’m gonna go with that, too.  Tho I hope not, because then I could see HL & SB working together.  They’d be unstoppable.

but I also don’t want SB to have done evil things in the past.

Another idea is that taking the V as an adult messed up his brain.  Or he had a traumatic childhood.

Just don’t make him a Nazi in disguise. 

• Love 3

Looks like Homelander as Soldier Boy's son is getting more and more possible. 

I'm curious about the powers and durability thing. Soldier Boy (and Stormfront) was given V as an adult, and didn't get V continuously, as far as we know. He doesn't age and his powers didn't diminish. 

The V babies, like Starlight, A-train, Deep, etc., do age, since they grew up. They're powers can be messed with? Because A-train started taking V because he wanted to continue being the fastest?

Ryan, Homelander's son, as far as we know, didn't get any V, but is still really powerful, probably on the path to surpass Homelander. He is aging (growing).

Victoria's daughter didn't seem to have any power, that's why Victoria gave her V. So power isn't always inherited genetically?

If Homelander is Soldier Boy's son, and Vought raised him in a lab, was he given V in addition to his genetically inherited powers? If so, is that why he is so much stronger? He also grew up, but has he stopped aging?

I hope they cover at least some of this in the next 2 episodes. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MAK said:

I hope they cover at least some of this in the next 2 episodes. 

I've read that there is a lot of back story and explanations to come. Here's hoping these questions are part of them!

• Love 3

I read that JA auditioned for SB by reading his part and Butcher's part... here's to hoping for the gag reel.

Do you suppose SB is the father of the 7 somehow except Noir... either by being a horn dog or they used his genetic material...

I forget who tells the story that they were walking down the street with Norma Jean/Marilyn Monroe and no one was paying them any mind. She turns and says 'look, I can turn it on and off at will. And she becomes Marilyn Monroe and they are mobbed. 

Dean Winchester was a lot of people's pretend boyfriend, but in the game of f*ck Marry Kill with the Winchester boys you would F*ck Dean, Marry Sam, and Kill John. Is there really any other choice?

Jensen Ackles had a character, like Marilyn, that people really relate to and I bet Kripke, who hired him for Supernatural knows this ). Because Soldier Boy is awful but we are supposed to sympathise to some extent, to make allowances for him when he wipes out several city blocks and throws cars through buildings, killing grandpa. Maybe allowances we shouldn't make. 

I think he is also a good actor and like many people who get put in similar roles over and over is probably capable of doing other things and doing them well. It doesn't mean it is all they do, it means it is what people will pay them to do. 

Butcher and Hughie seem like they could come out of this okay. I don't think Soldier boy can come out of this okay. 

Also, Hughie bleeding behind the ear could be radiation poisoning. Soldier Boy is dangerous to be around. So assuming he can actually get out of the Legend/Cosby/Chopsocky sauce mindset, well he won't really have time to do it around people. 

• Useful 2

Thank you @gonzosgirrl!

Maeve is alive! (And I am with her -- I also like seeing Homelander scared!)

Who is the person that Soldier Boy is pulverizing with his shield?

It looks as if Butcher and Hughie discover that they have a tiger by the tail!

Who do you think Victoria is speaking to when she tells someone to pull their shit together and "take control of the situation"? Is it Homelander? I am interested in the character of Victoria, but I don't want her to just take the place of Stan Edgar, as the person who takes charge and keeps Homelander in line. Mainly because I want Edgar back -- I don't want him to be just replaced by another character. ☹️

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

Who is the person that Soldier Boy is pulverizing with his shield?

We still don't know! At least I don't. All we could see in the still was a foot/calf, that definitely looked white and male to me.

5 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

Who do you think Victoria is speaking to when she tells someone to pull their shit together and "take control of the situation"?

I was leaning toward Starlight (sorry, Annie :P) but yeah, it could be Homelander. ETA: I guess there is an outside chance it's Hughie, now that she knows he knows who she is. I imagine she wants to keep up the pretense of being the Supe Police, so she could be giving him the come-to-jesus talk.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, Affogato said:

I forget who tells the story that they were walking down the street with Norma Jean/Marilyn Monroe and no one was paying them any mind. She turns and says 'look, I can turn it on and off at will. And she becomes Marilyn Monroe and they are mobbed. 

Dean Winchester was a lot of people's pretend boyfriend, but in the game of f*ck Marry Kill with the Winchester boys you would F*ck Dean, Marry Sam, and Kill John. Is there really any other choice?

Jensen Ackles had a character, like Marilyn, that people really relate to and I bet Kripke, who hired him for Supernatural knows this ). Because Soldier Boy is awful but we are supposed to sympathise to some extent, to make allowances for him when he wipes out several city blocks and throws cars through buildings, killing grandpa. Maybe allowances we shouldn't make. 

I think he is also a good actor and like many people who get put in similar roles over and over is probably capable of doing other things and doing them well. It doesn't mean it is all they do, it means it is what people will pay them to do. 

Butcher and Hughie seem like they could come out of this okay. I don't think Soldier boy can come out of this okay. 

Also, Hughie bleeding behind the ear could be radiation poisoning. Soldier Boy is dangerous to be around. So assuming he can actually get out of the Legend/Cosby/Chopsocky sauce mindset, well he won't really have time to do it around people. 

Hughie also is losing his nails. Is it SB or temp V? Is the radiation hurting SB? He's absorbed it and it weaponized him. 

They did show levels rising with his mood swings.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:41 AM, Affogato said:
  Reveal spoiler

Kripke says SB strips the V out of supe blood to depower them  if that is the case you could theoretically use it to supe yourself  

I’m hoping he stowawayed with our lot. 

It would be awesome if Jamie came out of nowhere and went for Homelander too. 

25 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

We still don't know! At least I don't. All we could see in the still was a foot/calf, that definitely looked white and male to me.

I was leaning toward Starlight (sorry, Annie :P) but yeah, it could be Homelander.

Victoria  could also be talking to her daughter who is probably in the height  of  transformation. But they made it look like homelander for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Victoria  could also be talking to her daughter who is probably in the height  of  transformation. But they made it look like homelander for sure. 

Do you think she'd say 'get your shit together' to her young daughter though? Just from the camera angle she appears to be talking 'up' to whoever it is.

49 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I was leaning toward Starlight (sorry, Annie :P) but yeah, it could be Homelander. ETA: I guess there is an outside chance it's Hughie, now that she knows he knows who she is. I imagine she wants to keep up the pretense of being the Supe Police, so she could be giving him the come-to-jesus talk.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense that it would be Homelander. He doesn't even know that she is a Supe, or that she has been working until now with Edgar, right? And why should he listen to her or accept her as an Edgar substitute?

I am assuming that the "situation" that has gotten out of control is Soldier Boy. So as you suggest, she might be talking to either Annie or Hughie about the need to get him under control. Anyway, good luck with that, whoever it is!

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Do you think she'd say 'get your shit together' to her young daughter though? Just from the camera angle she appears to be talking 'up' to whoever it is.

Could also be Hughie. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Affogato said:

Could also be Hughie. 

Yep, I spec'd that too. 

1 hour ago, Bergamot said:

Yeah, now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense that it would be Homelander. He doesn't even know that she is a Supe, or that she has been working until now with Edgar, right? And why should he listen to her or accept her as an Edgar substitute?

I am assuming that the "situation" that has gotten out of control is Soldier Boy. So as you suggest, she might be talking to either Annie or Hughie about the need to get him under control. Anyway, good luck with that, whoever it is!

Homelander knows - he gave her the V for her daughter right? And commended her for sticking with her kind (and taking down Stan).

10 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Homelander knows - he gave her the V for her daughter right? And commended her for sticking with her kind (and taking down Stan).

Oh, that's right! Sorry, I am losing track of things -- so much going on in this story! Well, maybe it could be Homelander then. It is hard for me to imagine her speaking to him with that tone, though. But maybe that could be the point -- that he needs someone to shock him into action.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Bergamot said:

Who do you think Victoria is speaking to when she tells someone to pull their shit together and "take control of the situation"? Is it Homelander?

I'm wondering if it could be Ashley. She has a tendency to melt down and literally pull out her hair. If Homelander is shaken she isn't confident enough to take charge and keep up the facade like Edgar or Madelyn would be. 

• Useful 4

It seems, even if he's angry, he can kind of control it. He only goes fully nuclear when he hears the Russian music, and he doesn't realize he has blasted. He walks up to Butcher and asks "What happened?"

But he was able to call it up to kill the Countess, and when trying to kill Homelander.

• Like 3