Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Trials

I beleive that the dead guy in the machine shop was only dead a short while since the gunmen were still outside.  So if he had the illness, it would still be airborne.  I mean when the Nathan James crew went aboard the Italian ocean liner, there were a lot of dead people, and they still had to wear their masks.

Interesting that they marked the shop with a red X when they didn't know if anyone was dead inside it (unless those men had just recently been inside it and saw the dead guy).  Also, if it takes 3-5 days for symptoms to occur, and the wife is already starting to act like she has a cold or flu that evening, it seems too soon.

On the ocean ship, they didn't know if anyone would still be alive, even if infected, so it made sense to wear the masks.

Interesting that they marked the shop with a red X when they didn't know if anyone was dead inside it (unless those men had just recently been inside it and saw the dead guy).  Also, if it takes 3-5 days for symptoms to occur, and the wife is already starting to act like she has a cold or flu that evening, it seems too soon.

On the ocean ship, they didn't know if anyone would still be alive, even if infected, so it made sense to wear the masks.

I wonder if the noise they heard inside the shop made them think some sick person was lolling around. Makes sense they wouldn't want to go inside to double-check. I thought the red X's were to indicate where the infected living were. Those are the ones exhaling viral droplets into the air and hence need a Red X warning.

The spray-painted X's for some reason very much reminded me of the Black Plague - if one of your family was infected, your entire family would be locked up in your house and you could not leave for weeks until everyone died or the immune were left with no symptoms.

No, I thought they killed the guy in the shop.  THEY killed him, and then as they were leaving saw the woman and killed her too.  It's why he marked the "X" on the shop, because he knew the other guy was inside, dead on the floor.   Chandler's wife came in after they had killed the shop owner.  That's the way I took it anyway.

I'm not sure if the wife actually caught the illness from the dead guy in the shop.  It's only a matter of time before you may become infected because people need supplies.  If it were just her or her father-in-law, they might survive on less, but a mother is going to do what she can to provide for her two children, including eating less, which would lower her immune system.  It's a catch-22.  If she doesn't stay healthy, she risks getting sick, and if she doesn't give more to her kids, THEY risk getting sick.  I wonder how long anyone would be able to survive a world wide epidemic and not let it touch you.  You literally need to be completely and totally removed from other people who were exposed, like a navy ship stuck in the Artic. (lol).

That makes perfect sense.  

Edited by Bishop

What I didn't get was why the primordial strain worked as a cure.

Me neither. I am trying not to think too closely on that, or the whole bit about Bertrise's receptors serving as a vaccine, if that is what Dr. R said. This is not my area of expertise, but it just doesn't sound right. Vaccines are usually inactivated forms of the thing you are being vaccinated against, no? I get the impression they are using the term "receptor" in lieu of "antibodies". If the six were having an autoimmune reaction to Niels' gene being expressed as part of the virus, it makes sense the monkey would be fine, but I don't understand how tweaking the primordial strain and injecting that suppresses the autoimmune reaction. Unless...the primordial strain is stronger than the strain with Niels' gene (not logical, but ~hand-waves~), becomes the dominant form of the virus expressed, then no more autoimmune response, and six people who have antibodies to the virus which can be used as the "cure".

I much prefer the show sticking to military manuvers, which I do not understand in the least and therefore can happily ignore any giant gaping flaws. Because I am having a hell of a time trying to overlook my impression that they injected cold NOT sterilized water into the pregnant gal who was having seizures to bring down her fever.