Type keyword(s) to search

[BUG] Unread threads randomly being marked "read"

• Start Topic

I posted in this old thread about a year ago, and I've noticed this is happening much more frequently in the last week or so.  I can't figure out any pattern to it.  Is there any info I could provide that would help?

And on a related note, can I make a enhancement suggestion?  Is it possible to add a feature to let users mark threads as 'unread'?  That would at least be a workaround for this bug.  Should I submit that as a separate topic?

Based on the old thread, it is/was sporadic - let's leave it at that and monitor for a bit.

Note: If a forum is moved to a new container, and probably topics as well, they will be come "unread" again - it's a deep rabbit hole - don't ask. Just note that if stuff gets moved, expect behavior like this.

As to the other request, I'll poke around - low priority due to other things cooking right now.

57 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

Based on the old thread, it is/was sporadic - let's leave it at that and monitor for a bit.

Note: If a forum is moved to a new container, and probably topics as well, they will be come "unread" again - it's a deep rabbit hole - don't ask. Just note that if stuff gets moved, expect behavior like this.

As to the other request, I'll poke around - low priority due to other things cooking right now.

Understood that this is not an easy thing to troubleshoot & not a high priority, but just to clarify - it's not the issue bolded above, it's more like:

- I go to a show forum with multiple threads.

- Several of those threads are in bold (= new/unread replies).

- I open one of the bolded threads (usually the one farthest down in the list, but not always).

- After reading, I use the browser 'back' button to go back to the show forum, and all the entries are non-bold, and there's no place-marker in them to indicate where my unread posts start.

I can't see any pattern (like someone posted while I was reading a different thread, a notification popped up, etc.).  It's fairly rare but as I said, I've noticed it much more frequently in the last week or so.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

@SoMuchTV Can you update on this please - are you still experiencing this issue? Thanks

Yes - still just very occasionally and I can't pin down the rhyme or reason.  No noticeable change since the big update.  I feel like it somehow has something to do with the timing of people posting on other threads on the forum, but like I said, I just can't pin it down.

If I were the one assigning priorities, I would put this one pretty low.  (Did you see my post about "mark forum read" not asking for confirmation on iPhone/Safari?  That's still happening, and it's one I would put much higher on the list 🙂)

14 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

If this is still an ongoing issue, please advise. If so, then I'll check back again after the April release as that's likely to fix anything that's currently causing headaches.

Yes, still ongoing, but fairly infrequent (maybe a couple times a week) and not something I can provide any useful examples for. For me, this is a lot lower priority than some other current issues. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

April update completed in early May - @SoMuchTV - still ongoing?

Yes, still noticing it occasionally as recently as yesterday.  Not frequent, and I still can't pin down any pattern.

• Like 1